Old December 9, 2002, 13:56   #1
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 12:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Is this normal?
I never installed a patch for CIVIII, but I got PTW and had some weird things happen to me that didn't happen before, and am wondering if it is normal.

1) I attacked a size 1 city and when I won it was destroyed, but I didn't select the raize option. In fact I wasn't even given an option.

2) Playing Persians, who are scientific, and when I entered a new age I didn't get my free tech.

3) Why do initial tech costs, now cost 40 instead of 32? Playing on Regeant.

4) The barbs seem a lot tougher. Are they?

All in all I like the "expansion". Not a whole lot of new stuff for the SP. Wish they had more wonders and resources added, but the new civs, units, and buildings are fun to mess with.
Old December 9, 2002, 14:46   #2
Raion
Prince

I suggest you get the patches for each.

http://www.civ3.com/
Old December 9, 2002, 14:49   #3
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 05:20
The patches fix all sorts of little problems similiar to the ones you are experiencing. Not to mention all the game balance and interface issues which were fixed.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old December 9, 2002, 14:54   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Is this normal? Yes! (althought #2 seems strange)
If a town has any culture in it, it is not razed.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old December 9, 2002, 15:04   #5
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 08:20
Re: Is this normal?
Dont lost your time with the patch of Civ3, unless you play Civ3 again.. but we never know...

PTW have it's own bix (bic).
When you capture a city of 1, it destroy the village, i'm not sure but I think Civ1 ou Civ2 got this feature to. Unless you got "culture".
All you say it's normal!
Tech Minimal Research is 40 Turn.
And your persian free advance, it gave a new tech at new Era.. maybe... you receive and nothing popup... Like when you play MP, new tech are never show.
Dont know if babar are tougher, cause I play Monarch and with Civ3(vanilla) I always play as regent
Dont be afraid to go in the Civ3:PTW Editor, change things that you dislike, me I've created a news fascism government, change many things like add Wheeled(dont be able to go in Jungle and Mountain without Road, like in real life) ability to Tank, Artillery..All things with Wheel. I've dropped a little the AI to AI trading factor, raising up the Movement Rate of Naval Unit. You can even level down the Corruption Modifier, if you find that's Civ3 got a too high Corruption factor.

Have Fun, and dont forget to take the new Patch for Civ3:PTW(v1.14) at www.firaxis.com

Nice playing

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
I never installed a patch for CIVIII, but I got PTW and had some weird things happen to me that didn't happen before, and am wondering if it is normal.

1) I attacked a size 1 city and when I won it was destroyed, but I didn't select the raize option. In fact I wasn't even given an option.

2) Playing Persians, who are scientific, and when I entered a new age I didn't get my free tech.

3) Why do initial tech costs, now cost 40 instead of 32? Playing on Regeant.

All in all I like the "expansion". Not a whole lot of new stuff for the SP. Wish they had more wonders and resources added, but the new civs, units, and buildings are fun to mess with.

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk

Last edited by CrONoS; December 9, 2002 at 15:10.
Old December 9, 2002, 15:22   #6
Stuie
King

A little additional clarification:

2) If you get a tech from a trade or from the GL that advances you to the next age, you don't get the message indicating your free tech has been received, but it is. If you look at your tech tree you'll see you've gotten the free tech.

4) The barbs are tougher. They don't march blindly into battle against superior forces any more; they actually try to damage infrastructure and hang out in good defensible terrain.
Old December 9, 2002, 16:49   #7
Japher
Emperor

Thanks.

I must of got the tech...Monotheisim, I don't remember researching it.

Good to know about the pop 1 towns, and culture influences for taking over a town. It sucked, kind of when, it happened, but I had a settler ready to swoop.

I think I will hold of on the patches until I find something that I just can't live with. All is good.
Old December 9, 2002, 20:30   #8
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 14:20
So you are playing v1.01 PtW???

P.S.
Don't expect MP or Hotseat games working then.
And you can't airlift units in Airfields without some patching too.
Old December 9, 2002, 21:49   #9
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:20
just install it in this order, though somewhat redundant..

civ3,
patch 1.29
civ3 ptw
ptw patch 1.04
ptw patch 1.14

now i am sure someone will tell you you only need the latest patches...and that maybe true, but this has worked for me with no issues so to speak
Old December 9, 2002, 22:25   #10
Willem
Emperor

Re: Is this normal?
Quote:
Originally posted by Japher

That's always been the case if the city had no culture. It's an automatic raze in that situation.

Quote:
Yes they are. I find there's more of them and they're much more crafty. They don't just attack everything they come across anymore, they'll move around until they find a target they have a reasonable chance of destroying. In PTW, when you set it to "Raging", they really are!

Quote:
There's some interesting new features in the editor as well.
Old December 10, 2002, 09:06   #11
Stuie
King

Re: Re: Is this normal?
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
That's always been the case if the city had no culture. It's an automatic raze in that situation.
Not to quibble, but it was not always the case. I think it was added in the 1.16f patch. Definitely was not out-of-the-box functionality.
Old December 10, 2002, 09:50   #12
Willem
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Is this normal?
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie

Not to quibble, but it was not always the case. I think it was added in the 1.16f patch. Definitely was not out-of-the-box functionality.
Yes, you're right come to think of it.
Old December 10, 2002, 12:40   #13
Barry Caudill
PolyCast Team
Firaxis Games Executive Producer

Local Time: 07:20
Quote:
Originally posted by War4ever
just install it in this order, though somewhat redundant..

civ3,
patch 1.29
civ3 ptw
ptw patch 1.04
ptw patch 1.14

now i am sure someone will tell you you only need the latest patches...and that maybe true, but this has worked for me with no issues so to speak
The PTW install will upgrade Civ III to 1.29 and v1.14 contains all the fixes to date so this is definitely redundant. There's nothing wrong with doing it your way either as long as you have lots of time on your hands

Speedy
2K Games/Take 2 Interactive