View Poll Results: Is Georgias new "death warrant" on abortions a good idea?
Yes 3 10.34%
No 23 79.31%
Only if it is done with a Bannana! 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 10, 2002, 05:45   #61
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Local Time: 08:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
Quick show of hands: how many people think that this will actually stop abortions in Georgia, rather than simply driving them underground? Anybody? Anybody?
Quick show of hands: How many think this will pass? Anybody? Oh wait... the people here on Poly that CAN'T READ!

Like I said before this is so FAR from becoming law it is crazy. It is like wackos who submit bills in Congress for a Constitutional Amendment banning abortion. They introduced it, but if you think it will be law, you are smoking something.
But that's not the point. The point is that there are people here on Poly who think it's a good idea -- wackos, I believe you just called them. My argument is with them, not you.
Old December 10, 2002, 06:40   #62
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 14:21
Quote:
Is Georgias new "death warrant" on abortions a good idea?
it's stupid, stupid, stupid

if they want to ban abortion they should stand up and say it
Old December 10, 2002, 08:22   #63
Jack the Bodiless
King

Local Time: 12:21
It's nuts.

...And, even if passed, wouldn't it fail after the first test case? Last time I checked, it's legal to buy a gun in Georgia.

Therefore it's legal to use deadly force to defend yourself against assault, robbery or kidnapping. Enforced pregnancy is certainly assault by the fetus, almost certainly robbery by the fetus, and quite possibly kidnapping by the fetus also (you can't go places and do things that you could normally do).

Therefore it's killing in self-defense. Case closed!
Old December 10, 2002, 08:26   #64
Goingonit
Warlord

Local Time: 07:21
Jack, there actually was a case in Canada where a women shot her fetus while it was in her uterus with a pellet gun. I forget the outcome, except that she was nuts.
Old December 10, 2002, 08:30   #65
Jack the Bodiless
King

Another reason why this would be nuts:

It establishes the principle of legal assassination. In principle, somebody could apply to the Georgia court for a death warrant against an adult. Depending on the mood of the court, there is a possibility that it might be granted.

Maybe I should take out a contract on John Ashcroft, on general principles. I might get lucky.
Old December 10, 2002, 09:15   #66
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Bodiless
Another reason why this would be nuts:

It establishes the principle of legal assassination. In principle, somebody could apply to the Georgia court for a death warrant against an adult. Depending on the mood of the court, there is a possibility that it might be granted.

Maybe I should take out a contract on John Ashcroft, on general principles. I might get lucky.
Much as I would love to help you pay for such a contract, that probably isn't so.

However, the principle being established here is that the fetus is a person, and that a pregnant woman is actually a parent who can legally apply for the right to kill her own children. This should have some interesting ramifications for actual Georgia child-rearing...

"Bubba, you get out there and slop them hogs right now, or were gettin' us an order of ex-ee-cue-shun fo' yo' ass. You hear me, boy?"

Old December 10, 2002, 10:41   #67
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Nothing at all. Trouble is, they're not particularly material. If the state is going to start enforcing "responsibility" and "accountability" - then why don't we legislate a "responbility and accountability police" to tell people how they ought to be living their lives? People ought to drink and smoke less, eat less cholesterol, work harder, save more, educate themselves, and a shitload of other things - is it the state's business to regulate your life there? Hell no.

Until the fetus reaches a certain stage of development, it ain't the state's business. Now if you want to take the position that the state shouldn't be funding abortion on demand, I have no problem with that.

That's the exact kind of posturing non-answer I've come to expect from Floyd. Color me disappointed.

If an abortion is not related to the health of the mother or child, and no rape was involved, what else is it besides a means of birth control?
And how is that responsible ?
Old December 10, 2002, 12:07   #68
Jack the Bodiless
King

Quote:
If an abortion is not related to the health of the mother or child, and no rape was involved, what else is it besides a means of birth control?

And how is that responsible ?
A major category is probably "contraception failure". There is no such thing as a 100% effective contraceptive.

And how is that being irresponsible?
Old December 10, 2002, 12:13   #69
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Of course. The abortions are primarily linked to contaceptive failure. How silly of me.
Old December 10, 2002, 12:34   #70
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

It's just an operation, jeez.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 10, 2002, 12:36   #71
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

That deserves 2.

Old December 10, 2002, 12:38   #72
chequita guevara
Emperor

I don't get the big deal. It's just an operation to remove an unwanted tissue mass that has the potential to become a human being but isn't one yet. It's no more immoral than having a mole removed.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 10, 2002, 12:40   #73
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
but isn't one yet.
You just hit the point of disagreement between the two sides.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old December 10, 2002, 12:44   #74
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

For abortions, and against executing murderers.
Some of this crowd are
Old December 10, 2002, 12:45   #75
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
You just hit the point of disagreement between the two sides.
Yeah, I know. But a lot of people that support abortion also think it's immoral. I concede nothing to the enemy.
Old December 10, 2002, 12:47   #76
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
For abortions, and against executing murderers.
Some of this crowd are
Murderers are human beings. Fetuses aren't.
Old December 10, 2002, 13:00   #77
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

In the words of Spock: Illogical.
Never take advice from a 60's tv show. Not very logical.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old December 10, 2002, 13:05   #78
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Using some of the logic expressed here:

There's a house being built. Nothing up but the framework.
Someone ambles by, decides to burn the framing down.

I think that when caught, the person doing the burning should be charged with arson.

Che protests, saying it wasn't a house, it was only the beginning of a house.

Floyd? Floyd thinks it's his right to burn the framing.
Old December 10, 2002, 13:14   #79
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I hate the abortion issue. Hate it. Why?

Take this thread, for example. As Imran pointed out, this is a Bill and will most likely never come close to being made into Law. Yet we have 4 pages of debate on the subject. Some of that is because this is 'poly and we will debate almost anything. But most of it is because Abortion is such a polarizing issue.

It's also an issue on which the country is nearly evenly divided, IIRC. Yet the politicians spend all sorts of time and energy on the issue. Probably some of the pro-lifers really see it as a righteous crusade to stop murder, but the cynic in me sees it as a method by which the two parties can polarize voters in elections between candidates who are otherwise uninspiring and probably quite similar. Surely they must know that neither side really has a chance to "win" this debate in the foreseable future?

For the record, I'm pro-choice.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 10, 2002, 13:15   #80
Ned
King

Local Time: 04:21
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Murderers are human beings. Fetuses aren't.
I don't think this is the issue, Che. The issue is the right to privacy. The question whether the fetus is human or not is somewhat beside the point.
Old December 10, 2002, 13:21   #81
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
Using some of the logic expressed here:
So what if the framing belongs to you on your own private property. It is arson then??

edit: If georgia was so interested in pursuing this, I hope they would just as enthusiastic to pursue cases where the mother needed medical treatment, like chemotherapy, that could potentially harm or kill the fetus.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Last edited by Jac de Molay; December 10, 2002 at 13:28.
Old December 10, 2002, 13:27   #82
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

The Hell you say, Ned.
I forgot you. Your logic is very similar to Floyd's.
Old December 10, 2002, 13:43   #83
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
I don't think this is the issue, Che.
It's the issue for me.
Old December 10, 2002, 13:46   #84
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
There's a house being built. Nothing up but the framework.
Someone ambles by, decides to burn the framing down.

I think that when caught, the person doing the burning should be charged with arson.

Che protests, saying it wasn't a house, it was only the beginning of a house.
The house doesn't belong to the person ambling by, so he's destroying someone else's property (the fetus belongs to the mother). As well, starting a fire presents a danger to others (having an abortion is safer than having a baby), as fire has a tendency to spread. Your comparison is faulty.
Old December 10, 2002, 13:47   #85
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

In most all issues I consider myself conservative in this particular issue I am pro-choice (liberal). (and as I support womens choice to murder babies and am a capitalist isuppose that makes me the ulimate, evil incarnate ) As Imran suggests this has a snowballs chance in passing, but in the event it would and talking to the larger implication i.e. reversal of Roe v. Wade.

The implications of banning abortion IMHO are manifold.

1. If we allow for the arguement that a fetus is destined to be a human being and is threby endowed with rights (an arguement I don't buy into). Then their is a logical disconnect IMHO as to reasons why abortion is a allowable choice. Normally speaking women who are victims of rape or rape/incest are allowed the choice to abort in many conservative circles. Why? Is the life of the innocent child any less precious in these circumstances? Why is it that a women's/victim's rights supercede those of the unborn child? The answer is that women in this situation are considered innocent and not responsible for the acts carried out against them. Because they are innocent they are allowed to commit 'murder' if you will on the unborn.

This strikes at the heart of the matter. If a woman is considered irresponsible then its the same old "she had it coming attitude". "Shame on her". "Make your bed and lie in it". Its situational ethics that in my opinion is the height of hypocrisy.

2. The impliciations on a society are astounding. For the western world, a civilization empowering women to be equal and making up 1/2 the workforce it is inconceivable to me that we still hold women almost solely accountable for procreation. Slow is right there is a problem with lack of responsibility in this world. I , however, hold men as the more irresponsible gender. The staggering cost of single parent homes, due to lack of proper male participationin child rearing disgusts me. It becomes exceedingly apparent to me that as this society becomes more polorized with respect to distribution of wealth it becomes almost a necessity to have a 2 parent home in order to have a decent shot at success in life.

I also see a disconnect with the conservative agenda to eliminate family planning yet in the same breath condemn abortion.

Again, a very bad idea. Consider me now a libertarian. Smaller government in all aspects including lack of involvement in the bedroom.

Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old December 10, 2002, 13:48   #86
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 14:21
File a suit. Get a death warrant on your baby. Move to another state. Wait for a few years. If the child doesn't behave, go back to Georgia and get him killed.
Isn't that a great bill?

I'd agree with che on what the issue is.
Old December 10, 2002, 13:51   #87
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

What makes you think the baby belongs to you?
Never mind. I forgot totally for a second your thoughts on other things.
My error. Only a person of faith would recognize and acknowledge the fact that the baby was a "loaner".
Old December 10, 2002, 13:53   #88
chequita guevara
Emperor

You can't make me say it. No. I don't wanna. Not gonna . . .

Ogalthorpe is totally on the money.

I feel so dirty.
Old December 10, 2002, 13:58   #89
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Well, Hell. I already agreed with him, as far as rape goes.
It's as a means of birth control thats b.s.
Old December 10, 2002, 13:58   #90
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
1. If we allow for the arguement that a fetus is destined to be a human being and is threby endowed with rights (an arguement I don't buy into). Then their is a logical disconnect IMHO as to reasons why abortion is a allowable choice. Normally speaking women who are victims of rape or rape/incest are allowed the choice to abort in many conservative circles. Why? Is the life of the innocent child any less precious in these circumstances? Why is it that a women's/victim's rights supercede those of the unborn child? The answer is that women in this situation are considered innocent and not responsible for the acts carried out against them. Because they are innocent they are allowed to commit 'murder' if you will on the unborn.
Exactly, and what does that say for equal protection for the fetus under the law? It's the circumstances of the pregnancy that dictate whether the fetus has "death warrant'" protection or not, while others are expendable.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.