Old December 10, 2002, 13:42   #1
Robber Baron
Prince

Local Time: 07:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Wang (King) Kon
I've been playing the Koreans, lately, trying to get a handle on workable strategies for playing what appears, on the face of things, to be one of the most challenging PTW civs. Some observations follow. (Note: I've been playing at Monarchy level, but much of the analysis should hold at higher levels.)

First, let's review the basic civ set up. You are scientific and commercial. Kind of like the Greeks, I suppose. Except.... no hoplites! Instead, your UU is the Hwach'a -- a bombardment unit with the firepower of artillery but the range (and cost) of a cannon.

The Big Picture
Your civ traits lend themselves well to projection of power. The commercial trait in particular should pay off handsomely in the later stages of the game, when you will wring more productivity than most other civs out of an extended empire. And the scientific trait gives you a boost both in building culture (key early in the game) and science capacity (which comes into play later in the game).
But some aspects of growth will be tricky to manage. In particular, you will depend on a combination of Great Wonders to trigger your Golden Age (since your unit, unmodded, will not). And you will have to figure out how to grow your empire to the point that your civ qualities will start paying out discernable advantages. In the later stages of the game, a well constructed Korean empire can be extremely formidable. But you have to get there without depending on some of the advantages other civs enjoy.
Initially I assumed the Koreans were built for building. But I've found (in my small and admittedly unscientific sample of some half dozen games) that in fact, I have better results via military expansion. This civ becomes most potent and most powerful when it attains critical mass both geographically (continent-sized at least) and chronologically (late-middle ages on).

The Early Game
You start out with the Alphabet and Bronze Working. There is your first (and for a long time your only) advantage over other civs: these are both very potent starting techs. Bronze Working allows you to build spearmen and/or the Colossus from the beginning of the game -- and puts you one tech from Iron Working. Alphabet is even better. You can hoard it, research writing, and run for either mapmaking or literature -- meaning you can target either the Lighthouse (powerful, on certain maps) or the Great Library (even better). Skillful pre-building should land you one.
Or, if you tend to avoid building the ancient wonders, you can broker Alphabet, which usually fetches a fair price (unless you start out near other scientific civs, of course). You can use it, for example, to trade for warrior code and take out a neighboring civ in an early archer rush. (Better trading the Alphabet, of course, than the Bronze Working. No sense in setting up future conquest victims with spears.)
Very early culture will be an expensive proposition, on the other hand, particularly if you hold onto both alphabet in the hopes of landing the Great Lib and bronze working for military purposes. It will be awhile (literature) before you can start building anything cultural (unless you can broker something for Ceremonial Burial).

The Colossus might be a better build, for Golden Age purposes.
Which brings me to ....

Your Golden Age
Your UU will not trigger a Golden Age. Korean players need to manage wonder building especially carefully. You have to build a commercial and a scientific wonder to get golden.
Um, sort of. Actually, to tell the truth, wonder GA triggers remain somewhat mysterious to me. In one game, I built both the Great Library and Colossus and found myself catapulted into a very early (and despotic -- ) GA. (Made sense, though: GL is sci; Colossus is commercial.) In another game, I built the Colossus, then captured the Great Library, then launched a golden age when I built Sistine's Chapel (using a great leader). (Maybe because I built a commercial wonder, then captured, not built, a scientific wonder; which set up a trigger whereby the game was ready to dispense a GA as soon as I built any other wonder?)
Scientific wonders are relatively easy to come by (though remember, Copernicus is not scientific). Commercial wonders can be trickier. Colossus is early -- takes a focussed strategy and some luck. If you miss that, you have to wait for Adam Smith (I think) -- which frequently comes in the midst of AI cascades, and (for me, in many games), when I'm still hurrying to catch up to the AIs techwise.

The Hwach'a Gotcha
This UU is a bit of a tweener. 40 shields to build, bombard strength of 12, range of 1. In other words, same cost and range as cannon (though you don't need iron to make 'em, just saltpeter), but the firepower of artillery. Actually, that's a pretty potent, if limited, unit. It is noticably more effective at bombarding cities than cannons (which I find to be too costly to be worth the investment, except as un-upgraded artys). By implication, the Korean player should be able to assemble effective combined arms city seiges at a point in the game that otherwise tends to bog down into defensive warfare. (Note, too, the Hwach'a is a wheeled unit, needing roads to travel through rough terrain.)
Of course, combined arms invasions take a lot of resources and a bit of time -- another reason this civ is best played big.

The Korean Sweet Spot
The Koreans may struggle a bit to keep up through most of the middle ages. But if you can get them into the later stages of the game and you have acheived critical mass, you should find yourself in position to pull away from the AI civs. Universities are cheap, and those slingshot bonus scientific advances create powerful brokering opportunities (especially if you land nationalism). You can manage a large number of cities better than most other civs (because you're commercial). And it all comes together at that point in the game in which I tend to find myself taking control anyway (for example, I start to put together an economy and tech infrastructure capable of outresearching the AIs).

Other observations?
What wonders have triggered GAs for you? Anyone have better luck than I did playing Koreans as builders?
Old December 10, 2002, 14:20   #2
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Re: Wang (King) Kon
Correct, the way the peaceful GA code works is:

1. If you've just built any GW & haven't had a GA yet then:

2. If you empire now posesions any wonder of combo of wonders that represents both your traights then your GA is trigered.

If you build the Colossus, but the AI takes over the city for a turn, and you then complete the Great Libary, this won't trigure your GA, and you'll have the recapture the Colosusus & and build another wonder to trigure your GA.

Quote:
Originally posted by Robber Baron
In another game, I built the Colossus, then captured the Great Library, then launched a golden age when I built Sistine's Chapel (using a great leader). (Maybe because I built a commercial wonder, then captured, not built, a scientific wonder; which set up a trigger whereby the game was ready to dispense a GA as soon as I built any other wonder?)
Old December 10, 2002, 16:38   #3
Robber Baron
Prince

Thanks for the clarification, jonc!

The results, when everything comes together, can be very satisfying:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	wangking.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	31343  
Old December 10, 2002, 17:02   #4
GusSmed
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:23
Re: Wang (King) Kon
Quote:
Originally posted by Robber Baron
By implication, the Korean player should be able to assemble effective combined arms city seiges at a point in the game that otherwise tends to bog down into defensive warfare.
What are you talking about? When the H'wacha shows up, it's Knights vs. Musketeers, which isn't a period of defensive warfare, and before Riflemen show up, Cavalry is available.

Both of these periods are exactly like the ancients era: Horsemen vs. Spearmen. Attack strength is the same as defense strength. The only real difference is that cities are now common, so the adjusted odds are 2:3, or 40% (+25% for fortified, +25% for city or walls) instead of 2:2.5 (44%). Actual casualty rates tend to be around 15%-20%, due to retreats.

In fact, the advent of Cavalry makes this period the most aggressive until Modern Armor, since Cavalry can move 2 space through enemy territory and attack.

The only era of defensive warfare I know of is the period between the discovery of Infantry, and the discovery of Tanks. During this period Cavalry has a hard time (typical odds are 6:15, or 28%, and 40% casualty rates). However, that's also when Artillery shows up, making the H'wacha obsolete.

I can't imagine any reason why I would build even 1 H'wacha. Instead of a fast striking force of Cavalry which typically attacks from safely within friendly territory, I'd have a slow force of Riflemen / H'wacha / Cavalry which typically gives up 2 free turns of counterattacks before it can attack an enemy city.

Otherwise, I agree with your assessment. It's nice getting a clarification of how Golden Ages get triggered by wonders, by the way.

- Gus

Last edited by GusSmed; December 10, 2002 at 17:10.
Old December 10, 2002, 17:52   #5
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

When Calvary first appears, if you've beelined for it, you can take a few cities before Nationalism.

Nationalism is the first of the techs that tilts things backs towards the defender:
Mostly by increasing the ciy's unhappiness when your in a threatening postion (2 squares are closer). If you instead stay at 3 squares so the AI doesn't think the city is threatened, you don't have retreat with your Calvary.

The second is Steam Power. The AI can now relocate troops raipdlly to the front lines and can replace the units if don't take out all their defenders in a single turn.

The third is Sanitation. Once Hospitals are built, Metroplexes start appearing, and the odds significantly favor the fortited riflemen in the metroplex. If that city has a Hill, you will need bombardment if you don't enjoy watching your Calvary die.

This is where the Korea's UU shines.

The forth of these is the Replaceable Parts with the show-stopping Infentry. (Or else a massive multi-turn Artillery bombardment to reduce the population.)
Old December 10, 2002, 18:27   #6
Robber Baron
Prince

Gus: yes, I realize cavalry extend the window for mobile warfare. I was thinking more along the lines of that period of early nationalism, when riflemen pop up in enemy civs (almost always, seemingly, just as I'm trying to finish off a last round of expansion before a modern era building spurt). Sending in waves of cavalry against cities defended by riflemen is prohibitively costly. The Hwach'a enables another, judicious round of pruning along the borders. You're not going to mow down a major superpower. But you will be able, under certain circumstances, to extend expansion at a time when few other civs will be able to do so (assuming rough tech parity).
Think of the situation as gaining access to an attack power nealry comparable to the infantry/arty stack of doom (with cavalry for pillaging expeditions and to mop up against damaged enemy units).
Old December 10, 2002, 19:06   #7
GusSmed
Chieftain

You guys must be playing some other game than I am. I've never had any real trouble with Riflemen if I've got Cavalry.

Sending a wave of Cavalry against Riflemen isn't significantly more costly then sending a wave of Horsemen against Spearmen. It's not even as bad as putting Horsemen against Hoplites, and I don't flinch from that.

It's only when you're up against Infantry that the casualties start getting nasty, and as I pointed out earlier, at that point the H'wacha is obsolete.

It's true that Railroad means that you pretty much fight the defender's entire mobile force if you don't take a city, but I prefer to go in with sufficient force. I never take more than one turn to take a city in any era, anyway - it's bad tactics, and greatly increases the expense of an attack.

I include multi-turn bombardments in that, by the way. Even if the target doesn't have a barracks, you lose most or all of the damage you've done to enemy HP by waiting a turn. An efficient, cost effective attack with Cavalry / Infantry / Artillery mix takes place in a single turn. Cavalry is only part of that mix so you can attack while the main force is 2 tiles away, the range of artillery, instead of waiting for the Infantry to get adjacent.

Before Infantry, you're losing a lot of the value of Cavalry if you're not using their full 3 square attack range. If you attack with enough force, instead of piddling your strength away, you can move defensive units (i.e. Riflemen) up to defend the units left outside the target city after you win.

If you consistently treat Cavalry as if they were Knights, i.e. move into enemy territory before attacking, it's no wonder the slow speed of a H'wacha attack doesn't bother you.

It only makes sense to move adjacent to an enemy city before attacking once you've got blitz units, tanks and modern armor, since they can get a second attack with the extra movement. Before then, the best defensive terrain in striking range is preferable.

The very best defensive terrain, of course, is one of your own cities, inside your cultural boundries. Cavalry can frequently move 2 squares along road, and 2 squares inside enemy territory, striking from a square 5 tiles away.

I don't understand the remark about Nationalism increasing a city's unhappiness. Are you referring to some rule I'm unaware of?

- Gus
Old December 11, 2002, 01:41   #8
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Gus what difficulty are you playing at?
Old December 11, 2002, 02:41   #9
GusSmed
Chieftain

I almost always play at Emperor. That's the highest difficulty that I can win reliably, i.e. barring a start in the middle of the jungle or the the desert.

I can beat Deity, but it's just too frustrating to play at that level regularly.

- Gus
Old December 11, 2002, 09:58   #10
Charis
Chieftain

Ah
> I never take more than one turn to take a city in any
> era, anyway - it's bad tactics, and greatly increases
> the expense of an attack.

Really? I would say it's time to take a step up in difficulty, but you've indicated deity is too frustrating.

Given your preference for blitzreig tactics and the assumption of having plenty of cav around compared to the number of defenders, it would be frustrating.

Not using combined arms *increases* the cost of attack? Not really - unless of course you're only using cav, in which case the counteratttack when you take too long would be brutal.

What's the cost of Vet cav vs regular rifles? Let's asssume a size 7 city with three defenders, standard fare. Cav win 32%, retreat 32%, lose 36%. You'll need to bring six cav to take the town in one round, and you'll lose two of them. Losing two cav per town is not an insignificant expense.

Bombard those rifles down to 1hp, and heck, double the number of defenders - The cav win 81%, lose 19%, you only need seven to take out six defenders, and expect to lose one. (Numbers from a combat simulator)

You inflict twice the casualties on the enemy and take half for yourself! So where is the increased cost to attack? Counterattack? Let's say they have cav (probably longbows, but we'll give them a strong counterattack). You have rifles in your slow stack, and let's say several cav counterattack, and you have a few rifles on defense. You're going slow, so avoiding open ground, right? (Good!) The AI prefers regular units, while we prefer vets. Togethter, that makes the most likely outcome: half the cav die, you have 1/3 as many losses as they do! Plus your units are cheaper. Counterattack? We fear no counterattack!! Those numbers don't even take into account bombardment defense -- add some Hwatch'a to the stack and 2hp cavs counterattacking lose 62% of their units, and their losses are ten times yours!

Maybe this is slow and frustrating - I'll admit that stylistically this approach isn't for everyone, but combined arms attacks are quite efficient, minimize losses, and inflict massive pain on the AI.

It gets better! As you take the first few cities the AI will throw all the offense it has on you. Any cav they have will not sit back in the core, but come charging. You see strong counterattacks for less than a half-dozen rounds, often much less, and have FREE REIGN after that, with more offensive units coming up one at a time to promote your rifles, as they are built.

It's quite enjoyable, with the right mindset, to wage war with only a modest amount of troops, and take out a much larger and stronger civ. It's also the key to deity becoming a LOT less frustrating. In my last deity game I got into war with the world superpower and had about 1/10 the army he did. There was no question of "cranking out tons of cav", I was majorly outgunned. But after a few pure defensive rounds just staying alive, I used combined arms, slow advance warfare to take a half dozen cities including his capital

I think on higher diff (or in general, where you can't get away with simply overwhelming the foes with numbers), for a player who likes to see his opponent squirm (rather than just 'disappear'), the Koreans and the Hwatch'a are a formidable tool.

> I don't understand the remark about Nationalism
> increasing a city's unhappiness. Are you referring to
> some rule I'm unaware of?

Oh my! You *REALLY* do like cavalry don't you???
With Nationalism comes drafting. The AI is *totally* draft happy. If you come within two squares of his city he will draft it down mercilessly. So bad you often have little choice but to raze it or wait until Modern era for unhappiness to wear off (well, starving down to 1 and keeping it there is fine) You wouldn't notice this though, strictly using cav or MA attacks, as you're often 3 squares away when you start the round of attack.

Gus maybe you've tried all this and it's just not your style - if so that's fine. But if you've not, or other lurkers who haven't, try it for a change of pace, take the Koreans even, force yourself to build several DOZEN Hwatch'a, and give it a whirl.

Charis

PS The more masochistically minded should check out:
1) Using French Musketeers as the *offensive* force along with large artillery stacks...
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...threadid=14518
2) A game with no speed 2 units made, ever.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...threadid=14286
Old December 11, 2002, 11:57   #11
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 08:23
I haven't played the Koreans yet. They are, to me, Greece with a UU that is both better and worse (better because you don't have to worry about an wasted GA if some AI rushes you early on, worse because the Hoplite is pretty powerful). To be honest, I see the Com/Sci trait combo as extremely weak. But bravo to those who are playing them and figuring out how best to use them.

On the subject of bombardment & Cavalry...

Bombard units aren't particularly useful, IMO, unless you MUST fight a seriously entrenched foe, which to me means Cavalry vs. Infantry, or Cavalry vs. Riflemen in a large number of 7+ size cities on hills or something. In that case, I'd use arty. In just about any other situation, I'd rather have more attack troops.

By the way, it was my understanding that H'wacha's have leathal bombard, and can thus trigger a GA. Am I wrong on that?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 11, 2002, 12:52   #12
GusSmed
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
By the way, it was my understanding that H'wacha's have leathal bombard, and can thus trigger a GA. Am I wrong on that?
Yep, you're wrong. They'd be mildly interesting if they had lethal bombard, but they don't, so you cannot trigger a GA with one.

Quote:
Originally posted by Charis
Really? I would say it's time to take a step up in difficulty, but you've indicated deity is too frustrating.
Very glib, but it's not the late medieval, Cavalry and Riflemen that are frustrating. It's the early game where you're locked out of trading, and by the time you're ready for a horseman rush everyone else is well into Feudalism and the like.

So do you play Diety all the time? If so, what is your early game like? Do you go for swordsmen, spearmen, and catapults?

Quote:
Not using combined arms *increases* the cost of attack?
I think you meant to say "Using combined arms", instead of "not using", since as phrased it contradicts the rest of your argument.

In any case, I didn't say any such thing. I said that taking multiple turns to make an attack, i.e. multiple turn bombards, or attacking a city and not taking out all the defenders, allowing the remainder to heal, that greatly increases the cost of an attack.

However, using combined arms does increase the cost, in the sense that the force you need to take a city is much higher, though the casualties are lower.

This is the trade off for bombardment units. All of them, including artillery, are very weak. Particularly against cities, where they outright miss the defender 50% of the time. However, they cannot lose. Given sufficient force, bombardment minimizes casualties.

The catch is that the amount of bombardment required to pull this off is hideously expensive. On the higher difficulties, you don't have the luxury of that production advantage until you're already winning anyway.

Quote:
Bombard those rifles down to 1hp, and heck, double the number of defenders - The cav win 81%, lose 19%, you only need seven to take out six defenders, and expect to lose one. (Numbers from a combat simulator)
Could you point me to the combat simulator? I've done stuff with spreadsheets, but it would be nice to see one that took all factors like automatic promotions into account. It's too tedious to do more than the initial odds by hand.

On the other hand, maybe your simulator doesn't do that. The 2 casualties per 3 defenders sounds like a straight multiplication of 6 x 36%. I'll assume for the moment, though, that it takes into account partial damage from failed attacks.

Quote:
You inflict twice the casualties on the enemy and take half for yourself! So where is the increased cost to attack?
You're leaving out the cost of building all those H'wacha. Odds of actually inflicting 1 HP damage are 26%, at 12:10.5 odds, and taking into account the 50% miss rate. Sure, you need only 3 cavalry, but you need 22 H'wacha to bring down 3 defenders to 1 HP each!

One way to look at it is that H'wacha are an "investment". 22 H'wacha (cost 880 shields) saves you the loss of 1 Cavalry (80 shields) per town, and the cost of building 3 Cavalry (240 shields) more to take the town. Net cost is 640 shields, so you're getting 12% return on your shield investment per town taken.

Of course, there's also the opportunity cost of taking 3 times as long to take each city. That translates to increased AI production, and increased unhappiness from War Weariness.

Quote:
Counterattack? Let's say they have cav (probably longbows, but we'll give them a strong counterattack).
Yeah, the AI is longbow happy, where I never build them, but why would you assume "probably" longbows? At Emperor and above, Cavalry counterattacks are common.

Quote:
With Nationalism comes drafting. The AI is *totally* draft happy. If you come within two squares of his city he will draft it down mercilessly. So bad you often have little choice but to raze it or wait until Modern era for unhappiness to wear off (well, starving down to 1 and keeping it there is fine) You wouldn't notice this though, strictly using cav or MA attacks, as you're often 3 squares away when you start the round of attack.
So this is another drawback to a slow bombardment attack.

Yes, I've noticed the AI likes to Draft, but generally that only affects me with tanks.

I've never really noticed the unhappiness you mention, because I don't really care about cities I take during the early Industrial era and later. They're worthless due to corruption anyway.

- Gus
Old December 11, 2002, 14:38   #13
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I'll trade higher casualties for cutting the time it takes to conquer an empire by 1/2 or more.

The last major Cavalry vs. Rifleman war I fought was on Emperor (1.29) as Egypt vs. Japan. I did have some artillery (mabye 8 of them), which I used to bombard any counterattackers that showed up, along with their original attack force. That helped: bombard works pretty well in the open, and like I've said before, Samurai do bad things to Cavalry... unless they only have 1-2hp left. Once I cleared them out of the way, I simply massed my Cav and picked off one city at a time. No bombardment.

One more thing about casualties: I don't necessarily mind taking moderate to heavy casualties with my Cavalry. I usually have a fairly large standing army of knights which gets upgraded, and not too many Cav are actually built from scratch. Cav are a dead-end unit. Those that don't get killed off or become elite are going to end up being disbanded as I approach Tanks anyway.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 11, 2002, 14:55   #14
Charis
Chieftain

Response
Nice response Gus...

Quote:
it's not the late medieval, Cavalry and Riflemen that are frustrating. It's the early game where you're locked out of trading, and by the time you're ready for a horseman rush everyone else is well into Feudalism and the like... So do you play Diety all the time? If so, what is your early game like? Do you go for swordsmen, spearmen, and catapults?
Very true. I play about half-and-half Emp/Deity, wishing there was something in between. Emp is more 'fun' but too easy, deity - as you noted - often more just an increase in frustration not just challenge. I most commonly have a quiet opening, but if playing aggressive go for horsemen (if my UU is horse-based) or swords (otherwise). And no, I've never built a catapult on deity, or emperor for that matter.
Just too many other things to build at that time.
Where I usually make a ton of them, if I'm planning to make heavy use of bombardment, is from corrupt towns where I don't want the expense or delay of barracks (since it doesn't matter for cannon) - cats are very cheap and even 100% corrupt towns can do a decent job making them. The same cash that 'usually' gets used for a big knight or cav upgrade is used to upgrade them to cannon, or later, with Wall Street online and the economy flowing, to artillery. My most common 'large-stack' use is, like others, artillery due to its range of 2.

I'm about to start a Korean deity game, military emphasis, where I do take the atypical approach of a decent amount of cats.

Quote:
Could you point me to the combat simulator? I've done stuff with spreadsheets, but it would be nice to see one that took all factors like automatic promotions into account. It's too tedious to do more than the initial odds by hand.
It's a VB program I'm writing. It currently accounts for partial damage, retreats, different simulations for blitz attack more (how many do you need to take a town in one turn) and 'siege' (tracking hp's between rounds). It was just meant for my own toying around, but if that would be of use to others I could try to polish it up over the holidays and release it (?) Next thing to add is promotions.

Quote:
Odds of actually inflicting 1 HP damage are 26%, at 12:10.5 odds, and taking into account the 50% miss rate. Sure, you need only 3 cavalry, but you need 22 H'wacha to bring down 3 defenders to 1 HP each!
Good point, that is a lot. Actually, that sounds like a real good addition to the simulater, as I don't have a good 'quantitative' handle on how many artillery pieces are needed.

Regarding the longbows, I must have in mind several recent games where my main wars all started with resource denial on turn one. Cut off the horses, absorb whatever initial cav they can muster, and that's all you see. Yet longbows with no resource requirements kept coming, and coming. It was particuarly painful in a game with the Mongols, as the lowly longbows just chewed up their meager 2-defense hides!

Thanks for the response,
Charis
Old December 11, 2002, 15:35   #15
GusSmed
Chieftain

Re: Response
Quote:
Originally posted by Charis
I most commonly have a quiet opening
So how do you avoid being a complete backwater when you use a quiet opening? I just fiddled around with a Korean Deity game, in which I started on the same land mass as the Persians. By the time I had 5 cities (closely packed, just 3 tiles apart), they had 14, and I had nowhere left to expand. My choices were either fight or stagnate.

This was made worse by the fact all the AI civs were now in contact. The AI production / research advantage would be bad enough, but they actively share technology. I think that's why there's such a sharp break between Emperor and Deity - if you don't get a tech lead, they trade with themselves to the point where they're a full era ahead of you. Your research disadvantage is 7:1 or more, not just 1.5:1 or whatever the bonus for a single civ is.

You can buy tech at a discount once everyone has it, but it's not enough to make up for this.

As an experiment, I tried amassing a catapult / swordsman force. I figured the minimum to take a city was 10 catapults + 5 swordsmen. This took until 270 BC to build, and when I did attack, I encountered Knights and Musketeers.

I knew everyone was in the mid-Medieval period because both Copernicus and J.S. Bach's where under construction.

Quote:
Actually, that sounds like a real good addition to the simulater, as I don't have a good 'quantitative' handle on how many artillery pieces are needed.
If you do this, see if you can't get some hard numbers on the retreat percentage and the artillery miss percentage against towns. From experience, I believe it's 50%, but I haven't seen that verified anywhere, and I haven't had the patience to test it empirically.

Quote:
Regarding the longbows, I must have in mind several recent games where my main wars all started with resource denial on turn one. Cut off the horses, absorb whatever initial cav they can muster, and that's all you see.
I find resource denial is often too difficult. I look for opportunities, but often the source is 3-4 cities in.

- Gus
Old December 11, 2002, 16:29   #16
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

BTW, the original post was very thorough and thoughtful. Nice job.
Old December 11, 2002, 16:42   #17
Charis
Chieftain

Passive Deity strat
Good questions...

Quote:
So how do you avoid being a complete backwater when you use a quiet opening? I just fiddled around with a Korean Deity game, in which I started on the same land mass as the Persians. By the time I had 5 cities (closely packed, just 3 tiles apart), they had 14, and I had nowhere left to expand. My choices were either fight or stagnate.
Well, that's about right, except the "stagnate" option is really "honker down." As you note, most games in deity end up going one of two different paths - very early aggression or very late aggression. Although it seems like you're behind or stagnating, the player's far better civ management and tactical abilities get stronger with time. With a passive start, if you survive until the industrial era, it's usually winnable. The first few times trying this path are, to most folks, quite painful and scary. And it can lead to a real slogfest is you wait *too* long to plan your later attacks.

Just as early aggression being done best very early and very aggressive, when I go the passive route, it's virtually NO military. Cardboard cutouts defend the cities, maximum effort to expand and get enough cities to be able to build an FP, typically no more before the AI has taken all the land. Any tribute demands? Pay 'em! Then it's a pure builder game for quite some time, coming to life if there is a cav vs rifle opportunity, else a pre-MechInf opportunity for tanks, otherwise a Modern Armor based war.

How do you not get totally behind in tech? Often you do, ending up a half to 2/3 of an age behind, in early Middle Ages while they're working on Copernicus. Rapid exploring to maximize civs as early as possible is key. You may not outbuild them, but if you meet two civs before they meet each other, bam, tech parity! Going max research on a tech that the AI tends to ignore, and brokering, is another (Math or Polytheism tend to work well). Doing no research, building a strong economy, and looking for 2-for-1 tech trading deals, will help you not get too far behind. By the end of the Middle Ages, you have a FP, Wall Street, and are actually selling your 'only' instance of some resources like iron or saltpeter (forgoing making units that need these for 20 turns). It's amazing what the Persians will pay for iron if they lack it and have just gotten into a war. Several techs or huge gold, and you can repeat in 20 turns. This building and trading game *is* the fun of the passive approach, and the underdog feeling of surviving this extreme military weakness. If you're nice to them, and pathetic, you get to know how to make them ignore you :P

Getting Theory of Evolution built, using a prebuild, and using it to snag Hoovers, is the real "turn around" point. If you miss both of these, it's going to be a loooong game or a loss. Get both of these, and you have not just tech parity but a lead, and victory almost assured.

Quote:
As an experiment, I tried amassing a catapult / swordsman force. I figured the minimum to take a city was 10 catapults + 5 swordsmen. This took until 270 BC to build, and when I did attack, I encountered Knights and Musketeers.
Ack! That IS bad! My own recent test along those lines did catch them with Feudalism not Gunpowder, and after I took about four cities, their knights now began to show up, so I took peace, demanding several techs.
I'll try to let you know how my Korean experiment goes -- if it's as bad as that, it won't be pretty

Quote:
I find resource denial is often too difficult. I look for opportunities, but often the source is 3-4 cities in.
That makes it MUCH harder, but it doesn't seem to be THAT hard to find one key resource to deny. Even if the AI has all resources (often he'll be missing one), Knights need both iron AND horses, cav need saltpeter AND horses. If you deny iron around the time of Feudalism, you can cripple a civ for good. Deny saltpeter after chivalry and you have a knight army, and they're likewise in big trouble. On Deity, if they have all those, and their supplies are 3-4 cities deep.... kiss up!! Be their best buddy, sell them lux at discount, ally with them, pick on another civ to beat up on for tech. Then later in the game, when you have cav and Wall Street and Mr Fancy Pants Xerces the superpower thinks he's something special with his infantry and declares war on you, buy an alliance from everyone else in the game and watch him go down in flames. Building an economy that lets you punish the fool who declares war on you in late middle ages or later with multiple alliances is a key component of the 'passive' strat to diety.

I hope that helps -- I'm don't know everyone's playstyle at Apolyton, and don't know if these passive deity strats are old hat, novel ideas, or if they seem like pure "crazy talk"!? Txurce covers some of these in his builder diety articles, although the general reaction seemed to be 'wow that's really different!'

Quote:
If you do this, see if you can't get some hard numbers on the retreat percentage and the artillery miss percentage against towns. From experience, I believe it's 50%, but I haven't seen that verified anywhere, and I haven't had the patience to test it empirically.
Hehe, I was going to ask if you or the others had a definitive link. I know that Firaxis said it was "near 50%, with some effect of promoted units" -- my own 'read' on that is that the retreat% is the fast unit's max hp vs the other unit's max hp. So 50% for reg vs reg, vet vs vet, 58% for vet vs reg, etc. I'll have to dig around for artillery vs town formula, I can't recall seeing it offhand

Charis

PS in Edit -- at the risk of blathering on about stuff that's common knowledge to the strong players in this forum, here are my summary notes from a recent deity game that did well with a passive strat on deity.

It's from a competetion game at Realms Beyond -
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/...eid=1037592229
The game was deity, with "honorable" rules - no razing, starving, reputation hits, sneak attacks, etc.
We were the Babylons, and ran into a situation where nearby Egypt had a gazillion cities and we were lucky to get eight.

* Egypt had a massive expansion at the start, and we only had four core
cities by the time they were a sprawling empire, in 1150BC
They completed the Pyramids in 1700BC
* First tribute was demanded and given, to Egypt in 900BC
Fifty years later we finished our opening with a solid 9 cities
* Building game followed through 1000AD, with us as richest nation in 250AD
* Forbidden Palace hand-built in 500AD in Ashur
* We get Shakespeare Theater in 880 AD and Wall Street in 830 AD
-- so far this is pure passive, cave-in strategy, behind in techs, as I described in my post...

* Egypt sneak attacks us in 1020AD

Here is our total military :
12 rifles and 8 spears for defense,
3 Bowmen for offense

That doesn't sound too good does it?

We pull in the entire world in alliances against Cleo!

* I buy Replaceable Parts and use my economic advantage to assemble the
best defense money can buy. We set off our Golden Age with a Bowman killing
a straggling Knight.
* Our only Great Leader, Agum, in 1100AD from an elite longbow getting straggler
* War ends after we capture Thebes, with Pyramids, GL, Great Wall and JS Bach
-- That was the ONLY war the whole game

* ToE and Hoover, both via prebuilds, letting us keep our leader (who rushes Suffrage)
* 1645 we research Fission and with prebuild make the UN, butter up my friends
* 1660 AD win a diplo victory vs Xerces, all but Egypt vote for me, Cleo abstains
* Final score 4398, RBCiv-17 the Magnificent

Here's my peaceful core, as established in 850 BC...

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads2/...eDone850BC.jpg

Here's the nicely expanded empire after Cleo's "unwise decision", after the
great war from 1020AD to 1250AD...

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads2/...gain1250AD.jpg

Last edited by Charis; December 11, 2002 at 16:54.
Old December 11, 2002, 17:22   #18
Robber Baron
Prince

Checked out the links. As usual, Charis, jaw-dropping stuff.

I'm still hoping to hear from people who have pulled off relatively peaceful, building-oriented strategies using the Koreans.
Old December 14, 2002, 13:34   #19
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

I just think peaceful vicotry in general is harder to attain in higher difficulty. The sword is o much mightier than the spaceship IMO.