Old August 2, 2000, 10:41   #1
death_head
Prince

Local Time: 19:46
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Progenitors vs. Protoss
Okay, this may sound really stupid to most of you, but I kind of need a vote here- I need to prove my brother that more people agree with me.

Who would win in a fight- the Progenitor race, or the Protoss from Starcraft? Explain why, don't just say because they are cool or whatever.

The reason I am not saying my preference yet is because I do not want people to automatically agree or disagree based on what I think.

------------------
Carved upon my stone-
my body lie
but still I roam.
-Metallica
Old August 2, 2000, 11:03   #2
DilithiumDad
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 20:46
My son is a big Starcraft fan, so I can answer. The Protoss put 100% of their tech and efforts into military, whereas the Progenitors do research and manage resources and other pursuits, so I think the Protoss would win pretty fast.

------------------
Creator of the Ultimate Builder Map, based on the Huge Map of Planet
Old August 3, 2000, 00:32   #3
Didymus
lifer
Warlord

Local Time: 20:46
The Protoss would win, and here's why: Dark Archons. They would simply subvert the enemy troops, repeat, repeat.

But then the Zerg would arise from the fungus and kick everyone's butts.
Old August 4, 2000, 00:23   #4
Ishamael
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Simply a matter of whether the Progenitor have transcended or can do so in the near future (obviously only an Ursurper factor). If they get that, the Protoss are powerless. Otherwise, templars would rip the Progenitor to shreds, to say nothing of the fact that Progenitor infighting puts the Protoss internal squables and insubordination on the level of harmony.

One thing that confuses me, though, is that evidently the Progenitor fleet can casually obliterate a planet or force its surrender once summoned, but the much vaunted Protoss juggernaut seems incapable of recapturing or defending a certain crucial planet that shall go nameless (even though it is probably far past the point when it would be a spoiler for anyone who would EVER play the game). On the other hand, in the manual, it says the fleet was capable of incinerating the terran planets, so maybe it was just planet mass, or the willingness to use extreme action. In which case, the fleets would remain at parity, and telepathy would come out victorious.

Bet that was longer than you expected. Really hope you're pulling for 'toss, those seem favored.
Old August 4, 2000, 00:25   #5
Ishamael
Chieftain

humph?! They always look longer in the reply box.
Old August 4, 2000, 11:17   #6
death_head
Prince

Local Time: 19:46
Yes, I was figuring the Protoss would rule, especially since they already have singularity weapons with the lowly Dragoon. Ha ha! Score to date 3-0 Protoss.

------------------
Carved upon my stone-
my body lie
but still I roam.
-Metallica
Old August 4, 2000, 11:44   #7
Mr. Maddog
Settler

I've had this idea of crossing Starcraft races over to SMAC and this is what I came up with...

Protoss:
--------

- Strong in military tech and power psi attacks makes them the top conquering force
- But too much support costs to maintain their units
- Can make alliances with other factions if it's in their best interests for Aiur

Terran:
-------
- Basically the same as Spartans regarding support and tech reserch
- Can cause massive eco-damage from squandering precious resources.
- There can be many factions from the Terrans like Sons of Korhal, UED, even the Kel-Moria Combine which can complement the Morganites

Zerg:
-----

- Can easliy "infest" fungus, mindworms and even human bases
- But low on psi defenses
- Sure Kerrigan can make treaties and even pacts with other factions...only to turn on them later on

Starcraft and SMAC are perfect for each other. Maybe a good crossover story or a hacked custom faction would be nice, humm...

Eric Noss
a.k.a
Mr. Maddog