Old December 11, 2002, 17:49   #1
SK138
Warlord

Local Time: 07:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Fortify and Sentry?
Whats the difference between fortifying a unit and sentrying a unit?
Old December 11, 2002, 18:05   #2
piratebrun
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:27
A sentried unit will automatically awaken when it spots another civ's unit (or just enemies if you use that sentry option).
Old December 12, 2002, 03:27   #3
Master2000
Settler

Local Time: 13:27
What about defense bonus?
Old December 12, 2002, 14:06   #4
piratebrun
Chieftain

I *ASSUME*, but don't really know, that the defense bonus is the same whether a unit is fortified or sentrired (both put that white box around healthbar). Sentried just wake (on the beginning of YOUR turn) when another unit is spotted.
Old December 12, 2002, 15:13   #5
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 04:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Master2000
What about defense bonus?
I would think that it loses the 'fortify' bonus if it wakes up. The idea being that you could sentry a unit with good offensive capability so that it could wake up and be directed to attack the nearby enemy unit as soon as it is spotted.
Old December 12, 2002, 21:14   #6
Falconius
Prince

Local Time: 07:27
Since it "wakes up" when it sees an enemy, I would think that it gets no defense bonus (i.e., by waking up, it leaves its sentry state).

This would mean that the only way a Sentried unit can be attacked (while still sentried) is by an invisible unit. In that case, I don't know what the modifier would be.
Old December 13, 2002, 05:14   #7
bigfree1

Quote:
Originally posted by Falconius
Since it "wakes up" when it sees an enemy, I would think that it gets no defense bonus (i.e., by waking up, it leaves its sentry state).

This would mean that the only way a Sentried unit can be attacked (while still sentried) is by an invisible unit. In that case, I don't know what the modifier would be.
That's not neccessarily true. You can, at any time, wake a fortified unit during your turn and have him attack; you don't have to wait a turn in order for him to be able to attack.

When in sentry mode a unit is 'activated' so as to allow, you, the game player, an option to have him react to the action that caused him to wake from sentry mode.

To penalize the unit a player would have to use the space bar in order to give the unit a 'do nothing' order, effectiving taking away the units fortification bonus. Better would be to place the unit back into sentry mode giving the unit back it's bonus or just putting him into fortification mode if you don't want the unit reacting to the particular action that 'awoke' him in the first place.

Old December 13, 2002, 12:50   #8
zulu9812
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Falconius
That's a bit of a bummer. Whilst you could then fortify the unit before the attack that would happen the following turn, that wouldn't work against cavalry.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old December 13, 2002, 17:44   #9
piratebrun
Chieftain

The unit does NOT wake until the beginning of YOUR turn. therefore if you have a sentried unit that gets attacked by a unit that it cannot see (i.e. cavalry) before it is attacked, it DOES get the defensive bonus. It only wakes on YOUR turn. At least, that is what I have noticed.
Old December 13, 2002, 18:04   #10
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 04:27
I believe piratebrun is correct - the unit only wakes up at the beginning of your turn; although I hardly use the sentry feature. Guess I got too used to playing without it prior to PTW