Old December 15, 2002, 00:38   #31
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 08:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Saw the movie, and well.....

Liked it. Quite a bit. The battle scene was perhaps the most riveting in the entire Franchise. (I lasted a good 30mins too). This was not easy to do, as there were only 4 ships.

Distracted by the "squishing" of the Reman uniforms, but otherwise thought the Nosferatu/Frog look was good.

Also liked the references to "The War."

Don't like Janeway being kicked up to Admiral. I would have drummed her ass out of Starfleet.
Old December 15, 2002, 00:45   #32
XarXo
Prince

Local Time: 12:33
Oh great, another Happy-Shinny Movie of special effects, yep? Well, my opnion in ythis thread start to be quite repetitive . In the other hand I'm sure that see Jean Luc Picard again will be a great thing , he is at the least the best capitain that I saw in Star Trek series.
Old December 15, 2002, 00:55   #33
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 07:33
You silly Trekkies.
Old December 15, 2002, 00:58   #34
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
The battle scene was perhaps the most riveting in the entire Franchise. (I lasted a good 30mins too).
30 minutes? :drools:
Old December 15, 2002, 06:01   #35
Kepler
Settler

Local Time: 04:33
Saw it today. Briefly:

1) The best of the TNG group, and a solid B. (The only A's in the franchise being II and VI).

2) I haven't followed things that closely, but why no mention of Data's evil twin when evaluating B4, and why not even a peep about the previous Troy-Worf relationship? Maybe this has something to do with the Janeway series, which I have refused to watch ever since seeing a couple first year episodes (gak!).

3) The "here it comes, another profound message!" message is trite and repeated endlessly. This is a movie that actually (I can't believe I'm saying this) needed less character development and more explosions.

4) Did Troy get a breast reduction?

5) Beverly's looking hotter the older she gets. Or I'm getting older the older she gets. I dunno. I had the same problem with Kim Bassinger early in 8 Mile.

6) Saw the "plot twist" finale from an hour away. The writers weren't trying very hard on this one.

7) Visually very nice, especially the interior ship scenes. "Defensive pattern Kirk Epsilon" was a nice passing touch.

8) JLP is still the coolest captain in the Trek series, and now there's a decent movie with him in it.

Worth seeing once in the theatre, and once during the occasional Trek marathon on SciFi or whatever.
Old December 15, 2002, 06:17   #36
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:33
Well I am not sure when it is out here...I don't think it is for a while yet...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old December 15, 2002, 10:27   #37
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I just saw it, and I wasn't impressed. Since so many here haven't seen it I won't go into why.
Old December 15, 2002, 11:54   #38
jdd2007
NationStates
King

considering all the bad press, i was very surprised to see a local review give it a 'classic' rating...

i wouldnt see it no matter how good it is, though...
Old December 15, 2002, 15:36   #39
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

I haven't seen it yet, comes out in feb in Holland.

Anyway, having read the spoilers, I think I'll enjoy it. I think it's about time we learned more about romulans. during the TNG and DS9 romulan episodes I always plaid special attention to the government structure and stuff. Bunch of Nazis really.

It's ABOUT TIME Riker got his own ship, and I like the name USS Titan. This thing sounds BIG and BAD. It had better be at least sovereign if not better. It sound like a massive howitzer on wheels... er... warp coils...something...

I don't like how in (almost) every damned movie they rip the enterprise to pieces. I mean The E-A stank on ice, seeing as it's predecesor survived 5 years in total crap and the E-A can't handle one damned klingon torpedo. ok, the E-D was Troi's fault, but in Insurrection the E-E (which is SUPPOSED to be the baddest ship in the fleet, eat borg for breakfast and make the dominion wee their pants) got klobberd. Why is it that it sucks as a battle ship AGIAN? In the series the federation has always been some of the most advanced in military tech, klingons going more for soviet style clobbering and the romulans sneaky bastards.

I also find it disapointing that the bridges are always so dark nowadays (which is highly unrealistic of a spaceship) and that they negelect to mention fun tidbits like Lor. Apparently they don't want movies to confuse the non-trekkies. pah!
Old December 15, 2002, 16:12   #40
Provost Harrison
Deity

Well if I was the Federation I would use bigger and badder ships than they have with much more powerful and nasty weapons...let's face it, looking at their technology, they could have something far better...I'd build deathstars
Old December 15, 2002, 16:31   #41
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Deathstars, bah. The defiance of the Federation against the Borg is shortlived. The Borg are simply a superior society.

Honestly though, if the Borg, instead of sending one single cube (and still managing to kick Fed arse) sent a fleet of hundreds of cubes, what could the Federation do to stop them?
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old December 15, 2002, 16:38   #42
Provost Harrison
Deity

Bugger all, but it would kill the franchise

Anyway, didn't Janeway effectively cripple the Borg in the end in Voyager. I get after the chain reaction they set off in the subspace tunnels, destroying their entire network, and killing their queen, that they are effectively crippled and will take a long time to redevelop, if they ever can. So are the Borg now a non-entity?

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old December 15, 2002, 16:45   #43
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 06:33
The Borg Collective had five transwarp hubs. Of those, Voyager and its crew managed to destroy only *one.* So that means the Borg still have four transwarp hubs. Hopefully, however, the hub that was destroyed contained most of the transwarp conduits that led into the Alpha and Beta Quadrants ...

Future Janeway also managed to poison at least part of the Borg Collective with that nanovirus of hers, so the Collective undoubtably lost hundreds of millions of drones (and the tactical cubes, pyramids, spheres and fusion cubes they controlled) before containing the damage.

The Queens, insofar as I can tell, are merely "personifications" of the Collective, and can be replaced at will (or there might even be multiple Queens, like a beehive or an ant colony). So the loss of the Borg Queen is probably the least serious of the damage inflicted in VOY's series finale, "Endgame."

So the Borg are still around and are a significant threat, IMHO, but probably won't be able to really menace the AQ and BQ again for many years. Although when they do finally recover ...

... the Federation had better watch out, 'cause I think the Borg would really invade with hundreds, if not thousands, of ships this time around. After all, humanity is too strong (apparently) to safely assimilate, so they must be destroyed instead. Humanity is too much of a threat to Borg to leave untouched in the long run.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old December 15, 2002, 16:46   #44
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

I thought they killed the queen in First Contact? How many times do they kill the queen before she dies.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old December 15, 2002, 16:50   #45
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
The Queen's just the Will of the Collective made flesh (at least that's the impression I got). She's the ultimate processing unit, the final check on what the Borg think and do. Most likely just exists as part of the Collective's OS (MS-Borg!) and is assembled when need be.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old December 15, 2002, 19:29   #46
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Nemesis is supposed to be the last movie of the "Generations" series of Star Trek movies. I can't imagine Paramount walking away from a movie series that has been so profitable, so I'm wondering where the next Star Trek movie will pick up. Personally I'd like to see them make a DS9 movie, but I think its been too long since the end of the TV series. Any thoughts or insider knowledge on the subject?
Old December 15, 2002, 19:33   #47
korn469
Emperor

the weekend boxoffice is out and ST came in second

1 - Maid In Manhattan $19,000,000
2 - Star Trek: Nemesis $18,750,000
3 - Drumline $13,050,000
4 - The Hot Chick $7,500,000
Old December 15, 2002, 19:56   #48
Sharpe
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Nemesis is supposed to be the last movie of the "Generations" series of Star Trek movies. I can't imagine Paramount walking away from a movie series that has been so profitable, so I'm wondering where the next Star Trek movie will pick up.
Probably that "last movie" line is just another marketing attempt to boost ticket sales. They hyped Undiscovered Kitchen ...oops Country as the last of the original series but immediately after its good sales they were actually talking about doing another, but the TNG crew was getting too expensive for TV and the failing health of De Kelley made that moot.

As it is half the crew acted in Generations anyway. If the TNG hadn't been there ready to move to movies they would have done another one with the original cast.

However, this might be the last with Brent Spiner and perhaps even Patrick Stewart though. Stewart may be becoming too expensive, and Spiner is looking increasingly ancient... the others would probably agree to another if their roles were bigger (unlike this one).

If I were to guess I would bet on another one with the TNG crew, no one can resist money: the studio or the actors...
Old December 16, 2002, 03:13   #49
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 05:33
How did Troi destroy Enterprise D? I cannot remember how that one went down.

It only opened at #2? That is not good folks. It's going to get killed next week by LOTR. And that crappy Jenifer Lopez movies was #1 . I hear it is a blatant ripoff of pretty woman- which sucked to beging with.

From reviews I hear you are only going to like this movie if you are a Trekkie- which I seem to be. But because of that I think this movie will struggle to suprass $50 million in the U.S. market. Granted they make a ton in video/dvd sales, so that may be enough incentive to continue the series, but I doubut it.
Old December 16, 2002, 03:21   #50
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

BTW the news says this is the weakest opening for a star trek movies since 1991. I think they screwed themselves with Insurrection. People aren't coming back.
Old December 16, 2002, 03:40   #51
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 06:33
"Maid in Manhatten" took first place? Good God, it's true — American moviegoers have no taste!

Anyway, I have plans to see TTT at least twice, maybe thrice. So far I've seen NEM once ... and maybe I'll go again when I'm home with my family for the holidays. Geez. I hope NEM does better than $50 million. What'd it cost to make NEM?

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old December 16, 2002, 05:14   #52
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
"Maid in Manhatten" took first place? Good God, it's true — American moviegoers have no taste!
Were beginning to realize things...Hopefully it will spark a revolution!
Old December 16, 2002, 10:32   #53
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Quote:
So the Borg are still around and are a significant threat, IMHO, but probably won't be able to really menace the AQ and BQ again for many years.
not all that many years probably. See how fast the Borg recovered from the Hugh "virus" (actually, his sense of individuality). According to Lor it was devastating, yet not long after the Borg are back at being their old bad selves. Likewise, the war with species 8472 didn't cripple the Borg for long either.
Old December 16, 2002, 11:53   #54
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
How did Troi destroy Enterprise D? I cannot remember how that one went down.

Basically when the saucer section seperated it was hit by the blast of the engine section's warp core breach and, ofcourse, this being sta trek, for no reason whatsoever consoles on the bridge start blowing up. Mr No Name Ensign Cannonfodder who was at the helm got killed and Riker said "Deanna, take the helm!" (The helm being next to ops where Data said "oh, Sh!t").

Ergo, Troi was at the helm when the E-D crashlanded, prid quo pro women are crappy drivers.
Old December 16, 2002, 13:07   #55
Docfeelgood
Emperor

Quote:
Troi was at the helm when the E-D crashlanded, prid quo pro women are crappy drivers.

Old December 16, 2002, 13:54   #56
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I thought Nemesis was good. 2.5 stars... anyways, I would have liked to have seen more political dealings with the Federation vs the Romulans. The movie made the whole plot line sort of an "isolated incident" in the Star Trek universe.
Old December 16, 2002, 14:06   #57
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Oh yeah was that in Generations? I cannot remember what Enterprise they had in that movie. Yes women drivers. Having a head shrink drive at that.
Old December 16, 2002, 14:35   #58
aahz_capone
Prince

yup, Generations. Crappy, but needed movie to bring in the new. And when going from tv to movie you ofcourse need a new ship so the old has to go....

Sar Trek 11 should be a DS9 cross over. Since Data and Picard have had all the light in these movies they should center around Riker, the USS Titan, Worf and the DS9 crew. then the next few could be DS9 films (like a post-war 1950's rebuilding melodrama ) this would make sence because crossovers are always crap and so are odd numbers, killing two birds with one stone.

After 2 pure DS9 movies Star Trek 13 should be a Voyager cross over (again crap odd) so that 14 can be the first "pure" Voyager movie, and cool like First Conact was but with Species 8472, and THIS time not one Borg cube but the entire collective goes after not just earth but the entire Alpha and Beta Quadrant. By now the Borg have adapted to all of earths "going into the collective and getting it from the inside" tricks and the Queen is pissed. This time the Dominion realise that they have something in commen with Species 8472 (they both like jello atmospheres?) and side with them to make a 3 way battlefield. Star Trek 14 will take a total of 7 hours and 18 minutes involving all the crews and ships and then The One Ring is found and the Force helps Neo reach Super Saiyan level 4 and Sauron and the Borg Queen give birth to Judge Dredd's evil rival...

sorry... I get carried away...
Old December 16, 2002, 14:39   #59
Jac de Molay
Prince

The only TNG one I liked was with the Borg Queen. I thought Alice Krige was great.

Probably wont see the new one because I have a serious jones for Two Towers, drooling over the trailers I saw watching sports yesterday.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old December 16, 2002, 14:45   #60
Provost Harrison
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DetroitDave
The only TNG one I liked was with the Borg Queen. I thought Alice Krige was great.

Probably wont see the new one because I have a serious jones for Two Towers, drooling over the trailers I saw watching sports yesterday.
Well I have got my tickets booked, I am going to see it next Saturday evening