Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	32168  
Old December 20, 2002, 19:21   #94
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 06:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ahhh, I see. Turkish Star Trek, eh? **LOL** I'll stick with the Paramount version and the books.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old December 21, 2002, 07:14   #95
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 13:33
I actually thought Ezri Dax was cute. DS9 is my fav.

but anyway, back to topic...

Nemesis:

DAMNIT! Have to wait until February! Damned Atlantic Ocean!
Old December 21, 2002, 07:35   #96
Jules
Warlord

Local Time: 07:33
Quote:
Originally posted by aahz_capone
I actually thought Ezri Dax was cute. DS9 is my fav.

but anyway, back to topic...

Nemesis:

DAMNIT! Have to wait until February! Damned Atlantic Ocean!
Cute, yes, but extremely annoying as well. DS9 and TNG were my favorite Trek series; don't have a single favorite. The episodes of DS9 where the Grand Negas showed up were always very funny.

Nemesis: hopefully seeing it next week.
Old December 22, 2002, 02:54   #97
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 04:33
Quote:
Originally posted by FNBrown
They showed Geordi holding a "tricorder" (or some other remote control device that looked like an iPaq) that illustrated a two-stage shielding system that created a virtual airlock for Data to run out of. I still think the Scimitar was too far away for him to realistically reach without any kind of propulsion or directional thrusters.
He'd need propulsion to accelerate, but given a few hours, he'd have closed the gap at a nice steady pace. Maybe he ate some chili-cheeseburgers and had some Romulan ale beforehand?

Quote:
Close to 6? Are you MAD? Christopher Plummer's General Chang was a better villain than all the TNG bad-guys put together.
Shakespeare... in the original Klingon. Nope, can't beat Plummer in ST6.

Quote:
So, basically, every major plot element in the film was hokey, but you're OK with that.

This is the Star Trek franchise - from big plastic buttons and computers with lots of moving rectangular lights, to unlimited cross-species breeding, to ditz Yeomen with miniskirts, and it went on from there. Thousands of little land-mine size "gravity generators" in the floors to make everything not float around (obviously the morons who thought of that one never heard of the inverse square rule and tidal gravity). You're OK with itbecause of the sheer hokeyness of it, not despite it.

Quote:
I think the battle sequences for ST:2 and 6 were much more cleverly resolved than the one in "Nemesis." As for character development, there wasn't any - unless you cound Spiner regressing his android character to an imbecile.
The problem is, all the characters already are developed. If you want character development, go stroke Quark's ears on the promenade. The biggest waste IMO was the gross underutilization of Worf, whose Klingonness can add a lot to character interactions in many different directions.

Overall, I'd rate it as #4 in the franchise, which is a big step up after Insurrection.

Did anyone think that the cameo of Janeway as an admiral (how did the transgendered Kirk end up ranking Picard, anyway? Picard get a **** performance review from some REMF?) sort of indicated that the Voyager storyline was either being previewed, or blown off entirely? There was some reason for an otherwise useless cameo, instead of the typical, anonymous Starfleet Command desk jockey with hemmorhoids that is as trademarked as the Expendible EnsignTM

And any of the Daxes? Sorry, but 7of9 then Kira does it for me.
Old December 22, 2002, 03:34   #98
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 05:33
Well DATA is superstrong I found it somewhat believable (in the fantasy Star Trek universe of course) that an android could do that.
Old December 22, 2002, 04:04   #99
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
There is one thing I think is cheesy. It is unrealistic stunts. What is this James Bond? MI2?

That scene is the dunebuggy scene when they jump into the shuttle. Data had control over the shuttle. And they had the means to stop the vehicle. Why put the shuttle out over a cliff? why not just put it on land- so they wouldn't have to attempt a dangerous jump. If their trajectory is off by just a foot they are toast.
For that matter, that shuttle was a lot harder than the heads of the little scumbags that were after them - why not remote fly the shuttle and use it as one big-assed weapon/shield. You think anyone would really have chased them after the first couple got slapped silly?

The Riker/Reman fight from the broken platform over the deep hole going nowhere kick the scumbag off scene was a waste though - that's one of those archetype action move scenes that's just cliche and never useful. Also, it was totaly unrelated to the plot - who cares if one Reman's wandering around in the ships guts - unless he's actually going somewhere or doing something nasty? That was just wasted footage.
Old December 22, 2002, 04:50   #100
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 12:33
For all the bad reviews, I thought this movie was great. It would have been better if they would have followed the whole 'Ashes of Eden' trilogy to conclusion after 'First Contact' but beggars can't be choosers, eh? Maybe one day I'll be a big producer...
Old December 24, 2002, 00:04   #101
optimus2861
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:33
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
Did anyone think that the cameo of Janeway as an admiral (how did the transgendered Kirk end up ranking Picard, anyway? Picard get a **** performance review from some REMF?) sort of indicated that the Voyager storyline was either being previewed, or blown off entirely?
My bet is that it was the bone-toss to the Voyager fans, nothing more, since there ain't a hope in hell of that series being made into a movie franchise (rightfully so, I might add). Indicates a total lack of giving a **** on the part of TPTB, that Janeway would end up as an Admiral after all the crap she pulled in the Delta Quadrant. Don't know if it's still up, but there were a series of articles at The Trek Nation as Voyager was coming to a close, detailing a potential court-martial for Janeway. Her offenses for seasons 4-7 were almost unbelievable -- and it didn't help her case that The Cynic was the prosecuting attorney .

Hah! It is still there: http://www.treknation.com/articles/c...ay_cynic.shtml Stands as a pretty good condemnation of what Star Trek has become in the years since DS9 went off the air -- an almost complete lack of intelligent writing.
"If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown
Old December 24, 2002, 00:30   #102
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by optimus2861
Stands as a pretty good condemnation of what Star Trek has become in the years since DS9 went off the air -- an almost complete lack of intelligent writing.
Almost coincides with the timeframe that Brannon Braga's head was, er, um, elsewhere. I never thought much of Berman, either, but at least Braga has an excuse.
Old December 24, 2002, 12:59   #103
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

It's also very obvious that when Roddenberry died Trek became a lot more warlike and violent.

I like the fact that Enterprise is, like the Original Series, full of hot chikcs and guns.
Old December 24, 2002, 15:01   #104
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
The Borg Collective had five transwarp hubs. Of those, Voyager and its crew managed to destroy only *one.* So that means the Borg still have four transwarp hubs. Hopefully, however, the hub that was destroyed contained most of the transwarp conduits that led into the Alpha and Beta Quadrants ...
The impression I got was that by taking down the Queen at that point (whether she is replaceable or not), dropped a lot of the defences on their transwarp corridors, and that the explosion triggered a chain reaction which collapsed all of their transwarp corridors, and thus the other four hubs as well...but any of this is speculation anyway.
Old December 24, 2002, 16:15   #105
JimmyCracksCorn
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper

7. It appears that Riker is now Mr. Troi. Apparently the female surname is used after marriage on Betazed ... least that was the impression I got from a bit of movie dialogue between Picard and Riker.
I think Picard was just making a joke that Riker is whipped by Troi. People call me by my girlfriends last name all the time.
Old December 24, 2002, 16:22   #106
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I'm sure that is a Betazoid tradition given the nature of their females
Old December 24, 2002, 16:24   #107
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

BTW Nemesis took in only $4.4 million. Not too good an idea to release it before LOTR. I was thinking word of mouth would spread and this movie would do fairly well.

But apparantly I was the only one who liked it. I thought it had enough action that the average movie goer would like it. Guess not.

box office numbers: http://movies.yahoo.com/boxoffice/latest/rank.html

25th hour is supposed to be good. It's only in 5 theatres. A$$holes.
Old December 24, 2002, 16:53   #108
JimmyCracksCorn
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I'm sure that is a Betazoid tradition given the nature of their females
Hell yeah, I'd gladly let troi whip me. I've always had a thing for her
Old December 25, 2002, 01:10   #109
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
The impression I got was that by taking down the Queen at that point (whether she is replaceable or not), dropped a lot of the defences on their transwarp corridors, and that the explosion triggered a chain reaction which collapsed all of their transwarp corridors, and thus the other four hubs as well...but any of this is speculation anyway.
True about the speculation. I do hope the Borg weren't completely destroyed ... it'd be nice to see them come storming back as a bona fide threat in some future Trek series or movie.

Gatekeeper

Old December 25, 2002, 01:11   #110
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
I think Picard was just making a joke that Riker is whipped by Troi. People call me by my girlfriends last name all the time.
Probably. But you never know ...

Old January 2, 2003, 19:00   #111
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Well time for a long term *bump*

It has only just come out in the UK (obviously didn't fancy going κ-a-tκte with Lord Of The Rings over here), and I have just been to see it. I must say I actually enjoyed it. Alright, it wasn't the most cerebral of films, and I am probably not the hardest of people to entertain filmwise, but I found it a good watch. I think you have to take Star Trek with a certain pinch of salt, but for what the film was, I enjoyed it.

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old January 2, 2003, 19:54   #112
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Ok the movie has settled a little bit on me. I may have over hyped it a bit earlier. But I still think compared to other Star Trek movies this movie is 4 stars out of 5. Compared to all movies ever the movie is probably 2 1/2 or 3 stars out of 5.

I watched Star Trek 3 recently. I remember liking this movie a lot more. But it seems to have worse special effects than 2. Christopher lloyd is good though. And I still rate this film higher than most people do. For an odd numbered film, it is decent.

So even though Nemesis has faded a little bit, I still think it is the third best movie.

to refresh my order.

ST 2: wrath of Khan
ST 6: the undiscovered country
ST 10: Nemesis
ST 8: First contact
ST 3: The Search for Spock
ST 4: The Voyage Home
ST 7: Generations
ST 9: Insurrection
ST 5: The Final Fontier
ST 1: The Motion Picture
Old February 27, 2003, 10:00   #113
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Yes, bumping an old thread.
But I just read that the to-date movie gate take was ONLY 40 Million dollars. Come on, even Casper the Friendly ghost topped 100 million. So did Chicken run.
It's only been a few months since it's release and it's been totally forgotten.

Was this the last TREK movie, or what will it take to make people pay to see another one?

RAH
The end is near.
Old February 27, 2003, 10:06   #114
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
what will it take to make people pay to see another one?
New writers.

Which of the series do you think will get the nod next now?
Old February 27, 2003, 10:18   #115
rah
lifer
Just another peon

DS9 and Voyager are already being forgotten and Enterprise's ratings have been diminishing. I personally think the only potential draw left is the Borg and 7 of 9 or some type of galactic war. A purely character driven plot like "Voyage Home" (the most successful at the box office at 109 million) almost worked when they tried it again with TNG in "First Contact" but it didn't generate the numbers. So I don't see many possibilities.

RAH
Old February 27, 2003, 10:55   #116
DaShi
Emperor

I find Enterprise to be unwatchable.
Old February 27, 2003, 14:36   #117
optimus2861
Chieftain

The Borg, rah? Doubt it. Most Trekkers have seen enough of the Borg -- they were absolutely castrated on later seasons of Voyager.

In fact, there is a report at the Trek Nation that the Borg are slated to appear on Enterprise in May, and the reaction has been swift, loud, and almost universally negative to the idea on the TrekBBS forums.
"If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown
Old February 27, 2003, 14:49   #118
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Well, as I said, that was what I thought their only potential draw was, (for me anyway), and if that's not the case for others, as you seem to say, then they're finished, And we can safely bet that there will never be another successful Trek movie. (not discounting 10+ years from now when sufficient nostalgia may change the equation)

RIP Star Trek

RAH
I was actually surprised that IV was the only one that cracked the 100 million barrier. So maybe this franchise was always overrated.
Old February 27, 2003, 15:07   #119
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Trek movie franchise. Talk is that they're going to do one down the road — whatever that may be defined as — that involves the cast of more than one series.

Also, DS9 is going to be returning to the spotlight soon, IMHO. Between the DVD releases and its eventual airing on TNN — along with its natural top-notch quality — it will have a second chance to draw in audiences. People will have a chance *now* to see what DS9 was like, and join the ranks of those who already love the series.

As for the Borg on ENT, I don't think they've been eviscerated, and I'm willing to give the writers a chance before roundly condemning them. There's better things to do in life than complain right out of the gate, IMHO.

Gatekeeper

Old February 27, 2003, 15:25   #120
KrazyHorse
Deity

Saw it a couple months ago. Sucked ass.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'