Old June 21, 2000, 09:54   #31
Adam_Smith
Prince

Local Time: 01:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Drones have Believer music in my game now. Oh well, it's kind of cool. Has anybody else changed their sound files like this? What kind of experiences are you guys having?
Old June 21, 2000, 18:15   #32
CEO Monkfish
Settler

Local Time: 11:47
Another thing, music-wise

There is also ustart.amb, which I imagine plays that cool little jingle when you open up a base screen as the University.

Does anyone know why there was only a file made for the uni and nobody else?

Any budding composers out there?
Old June 21, 2000, 20:21   #33
Qualiciide

i just wanted to say that my music is genraly differnt for the factions

but on the who gets the jungle the most topic, mirum gets is more than the others, which is pretty scary i might add...

Old June 23, 2000, 15:05   #34
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 21:47
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I've played as Yang several times (actually, hang on a second... ) and I've started off on the "Dragon Continent" most often. That's the continent with the Freshwater Sea, Unity Wreckage, and Monument Ruins.

A few times I've started off on the "Known World" continent (the one that looks like Europe + Asia + Africa, with the Planetneck feature). This particular try, I started off in the Monsoon Jungle, which sort of cemented my eventual victory (though it wasn't bloody easy, with H'minee starting off with the Uranium Flats continent all on her own).

I have never started off near the Uranium Flats or at the Northern Continent, when playing as Yang.

I did start off on the Uranium Flats playing as Santiago once.

------------------
Machines: outthinkable YES outfightable NO.
Men: outfightable YES outthinkable NO.
Allie Cove: outfallable INEVITABLY

Homepage http://www.enixine.dabsol.co.uk (Shared)
Old June 26, 2000, 15:59   #35
Neptunus
Warlord

In my humble opinion, this WAS a nice little thread where "anyone can say anything" (according to Adam_Smith) and it's a pity to let it die.

Since it lasted long with many participants, I think I can make a last attempt to "prolong its life"...

Can you tell me why it happens that all prominent Planet landmarks tend to "flatten" after 150-200 turns or so, especially (and strangely) when choosing the "weak erosive forces" when customising planet ? There are especially two specific landmarks that "suffer" from this strange "ageing" effect. So, around 2200 the Garland crater is no more that impressive feature it was at the beginning of the game and the Sunny Mesa is reduced to a miserable "hill"... Why ?
Old June 26, 2000, 21:08   #36
WhiteElephants
King

Local Time: 20:47
Well, (at the thought of losing our right to free speech) I'm not sure why the landmarks you claim to see "flatten", flatten. Has the sea levels risen? Have you terraformed around them and "disguised" their elevations under forests and farms? Have you used the option to actually flatten the map under the visual map preferences? Have you just become ao acustom to seeing the landmarks that they have lost some of their former glory the same way you won't smell pig crap after being on a farm for three hours?
Old June 27, 2000, 02:03   #37
Neptunus
Warlord

WhEl, nothing of the above except excessive terraforming but the usual stuff NOT rise/lower/flatten terrain. They just shrink... And this phenomenon is more pronounced when playing on a planet with weak erosive forces (maybe because in such a map there are excesive differences in altitude right from the start).
Old July 4, 2000, 23:15   #38
Adam_Smith
Prince

Happy Independence Day USA!

I hope all of your SMAC nations stay independent.
Old August 18, 2000, 19:17   #39
Adam_Smith
Prince

Hehe... This thread lives

bump by request
Old August 19, 2000, 18:54   #40
Neptunus
Warlord

I guess so...
Old August 20, 2000, 03:42   #41
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

I was faffing about with the faction leader profiles in the scenedit function of the game, and much to my amusement, I discovered a little tickable option that almost never gets used.

Firstly, in addition to things like "Maximise sea bases" or "Emphasise land units", there's a certain charming little function called "Especially Aggressive".

There are only two faction leaders for which this is selected in a normal game, whose names I shall leave open for you to guess, but which have both been mentioned earlier in this thread.

Then there's another one that made me smile, called "Commits Atrocities Wantonly". Only one faction leader's personality fits under this one, and I think we all have a good idea who he might be...

------------------
Machines: outthinkable YES outfightable NO.
Men: outfightable YES outthinkable NO.
Allie Cove: outfallable INEVITABLY

Homepage http://www.enixine.dabsol.co.uk (Shared)
Old August 20, 2000, 03:53   #42
joer
Prince

Let me make a random guess, Alinestra: The AI settings of that faction hardly ever makes a difference in your games...right?
And...let me guess again: You roleplayed the faction correctly even before you saw those settings?

-joer.
Old August 20, 2000, 04:55   #43
Neptunus
Warlord

I would call Allie Cove's case a rather "innocent obsession"...
Old August 20, 2000, 10:28   #44
Adam_Smith
Prince

Sorry if this is getting us off the funny, but I've never really noticed that Yang commits more atrocities than the others. In fact I've never seen any of the AIs commit atrocities unless the U.N. charter has been repealed. Those AI settings are wierd.

I have noticed some things which differentiate the factions. The aliens tend to stick to land more. Some of the factions are more aggresive too.
Old August 20, 2000, 16:34   #45
Neptunus
Warlord

In one of my latest SMAX games, and without the U.N. charter being repealed, Domai obliterated the Usurper capital base with a PB. Next turn and Free Drone central has been wiped out with a PB from Svensgaard. After some turns a juicy Pirate base disappeared nuked by H'Minee. It was an insane manifestation of agressiveness unusual not to some specific faction but for the whole atmosphere of the game. Almost everyone nuked everyone. The funny thing was that noone nuked me (as CC) although I was at war with Domai, Svensgaard and Marr and pact brother to H'Minee, Roze and a surrendered Cha Dawn. At that point Domai, Marr and myself were fighting for the lead. Just for the history for that really insane game, my SE choices were democratic, green, knowledge and the level of difficulty was transcend.
Old August 20, 2000, 16:53   #46
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

Actually, I tried that scenedit again on my SMAX game, and the results were different. This time, nobody had COMMITS ATROCITIES WANTONLY ticked.

Perhaps this was just for normal SMAC, and SMAX has a sort of slightly randomized faction setting?

As for myself, I've only ever been Planet Busted once. The resulting pollution and Planetdeath that occurred resulted in a "ecological death spiral" (sinced fixed in v2.0 patch) and every last base on Planet was surrounded by Xenofungus as Planet's ecology went ballistic.

Funnily enough (or not) the faction who treated me to the "Fat Woman" was actually the Gaians. So much for Rainbow Warriorism...