Old December 14, 2002, 14:42   #1
Demiurge2332
Settler

Local Time: 07:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What is the problem here??
Greetings all,

Well I just got this game...and allready the thing wont run!!!

Yesterday played the game for a while, a couple of differant time actually. No problems. Then last night tried to play and I get this mumbo Jumbo--

Error loading font(error code28)!!

The game will now exit

( Exclamations in the error, I didnt add them)

Well I reinstalled the game. Dowloaded the latest patch and was able to play again. Played for three hours. The best game I have had yet with Civ III ( Yes, this is the new one-Play the world)
Quite the game, went to bed. Get home from work wanting to continue my conquests and what do I see THIS VERY SAME ERROR AGAIN!!! What is up? Anyone have to deal with this? What do I need to do. Any help would be greatly appriciated!!

Thanx-23
Old December 14, 2002, 15:04   #2
Franses
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:35
Perhaps it helps to set the "smooth fonts" option. See the readme for detailed instructions. Good luck.
Old December 14, 2002, 16:40   #3
ayronis
Prince

Local Time: 12:35
I had the same error!!!

See this thread:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=68683

Strangely enough, it worked if it was the first program I ran after restarting... but if I ran anything else first it wouldn't work. Over time it got worse until it stopped working entirely!

So I reinstalled my entire system, and it still happened. What finally worked was a nice clean Defrag. No joke!
After defragging I haven't had a single problem with it yet.

If that doesn't work, the thread I mentioned above has another very good suggestion which I have heard works also. Good luck!

aštassi kammu naklu ša šumeri ṣullulu akkadű ana šutēšuri ašṭu
"I am able to read texts so sophisticated that the Sumerian is obscure and the Akkadian hard to explain" (King Assurbanipal of Assyria 7th century BC)
Old December 14, 2002, 17:34   #4
Demiurge2332
Settler

Thanks Guys,

Yeah I Tried restarting my Comp. and trying to play it before I ran any other Prog...no luck. So I used the " repair" feature in the unistall program and I got it back up. Now the question is- do i have to do that every time I want to play this silly thing??

Either way I think I can get it going until " another " patch comes out and fixes this. ...I have more trouble running these new Civ games!!! ( random crashes and such) I dont know about this Firaxis Bunch....seems they could use some programing tips?

Thanx again-23
Old December 14, 2002, 21:43   #5
WarpStorm
King

If the repair feature worked your original install probably didn't.

Oddly enough, I've been running PTW for many months and have never seen this problem. Programming for the PC is the hardest environment I've ever done. Why? No 2 PCs have the same hardware and softare combination. Different operating systems at different patch levels, different video cards, different sound cards, different hard drives, etc. A problem that is a show-stopper on one PC may work fine on 999 others.
Old December 14, 2002, 23:10   #6
Demiurge2332
Settler

I agree WarpStorm about the difficulties of programing for modern PCs. ...Thats why I bought an X box..hehe

No doubt the best games on the market are for PCs ..but that doesnt mean the best games will run on your system, or at least without a minor, or many times major ( and costly), upgrade for your Comp. Right now there are MANY games I would love to have but my system ( which actually is a good set up) wont run them. Morrrowind for one.

The reason for the swipe at Firaxis is that I have read ALOT about Bugs and worse with their new Civ games, thats all. Both Civ and PTW randomly crash from time to time ( ussually , but not always, at startup). I like these games so I am willing to put up with the mnor annoyances that some times creep in.
But Thats on MY system. For someone else these games may run solid. Havent heard much of that though??

Thanx-23
Old December 14, 2002, 23:21   #7
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Demiurge2332
For someone else these games may run solid. Havent heard much of that though??
And you never will. Not because PTW will never run solid, but rather because people who aren't having problems aren't posting about their problems.
Old December 14, 2002, 23:59   #8
wilbill
Warlord

Local Time: 08:35
Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm

And you never will. Not because PTW will never run solid, but rather because people who aren't having problems aren't posting about their problems.
We could all start posting about problems we think we might have in the future..

Re: the original problem, Demiurge2332, how much free disk space do you have? If defragging fixes the problem temporarily, it could be you're just a little bit short of free space on your drive.
Old December 15, 2002, 02:46   #9
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 05:35
Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm

All right then I'll volunteer. Ever since I installed Windows XP, from 98, I just don't have anything to do. No system crashes, no programs that need to be inexplicibly reinstalled for no apparent reason. Even Civ IV is running just fine, after an intitial reinstall and an update to my video driver, though a bit slow due mainly to my lowly Celeron 400 processor. Even PTW installed properly and works just fine, no reinstalls of the entire game necessary.

I was so used to rebuilding my software system every six months, but nothing , nada, not a peep of trouble from XP. What am I supposed to do with myself?