Old December 15, 2002, 16:55   #31
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 14:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
panag: I'm not saying that he is bad. Just that he is too much in love with himself to be taken seriously. Almost every time that he comments on a security related issue, he does it to promote himself, rather than from a genuine wish to help people. It has been documented numerous times that he is flat out wrong about the claims he make with regards to internet security.

And as for Microsoft endorsement being a good thing....hmm

Asmodean
Old December 15, 2002, 17:07   #32
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodean
panag: I'm not saying that he is bad. Just that he is too much in love with himself to be taken seriously. Almost every time that he comments on a security related issue, he does it to promote himself, rather than from a genuine wish to help people. It has been documented numerous times that he is flat out wrong about the claims he make with regards to internet security.

And as for Microsoft endorsement being a good thing....hmm

Asmodean
hi ,

well you cant blame the guy for that , Mark and Dan , and every other reasonable person in the universe would also promote themselfs , ......

"flat out wrong" , .......... , ahem , then why did microsoft patched the browser only 12 hours after the message explaining about the security holes was send , .......

ahem , last time panag checked on his claims , panag arrived independently that steve and his team are right , ...... for what it counts , ......

microsoft aint the best , thats true , but hey you cant expect everyone to spend usd 8500 on an OS , ..... that is failsafe , and on top of that , most comps on this planet still happen to run on the software from one mr Gates , .............

have a nice day
Old December 16, 2002, 07:03   #33
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 12:35
Hmm....This computer has 4.

But my MAIN computer has NONE
Old December 16, 2002, 07:15   #34
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 09:35
I have a problem here. This computer I'm using now is from work and the main Apolyton page gave me the warning message. I followed the links to the removal instructions and even printed them. I indeed have the "VX2.dll" Transponder variant.

Now, I followed all of the removal instructions step by step (de-registering the dll and booting the computer again), but when I try to delete the file "VX2.dll" it gives me a message that the file is being used by Windows and cannot be deleted.

Unfortunately, I don't have permission to install software on this system (only the administrator can do it), otherwise I'd install Ad-aware or SpyBot.

So, from a "manual" point of view, what can I do?
Old December 16, 2002, 07:19   #35
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

hmmm would calling the administrator cause you trouble("what kind of pages are visiting boy?")?
Old December 16, 2002, 08:35   #36
Alex
Emperor

Well, no, but I'd rather do it myself... anyway, I'll talk to him. Thanks, Markos.
Old December 16, 2002, 09:57   #37
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 13:35
I got the "UUUUUUU:::" Virus/Parasite , again!

So long....
Old December 16, 2002, 13:13   #38
Alex
Emperor

Problem solved. I told the admin that you are all nice guys, so no punishment to me.
Old December 18, 2002, 18:44   #39
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:35
Lavasoft's USA mirror is at
www.lavasoftusa.com
Please note that the current spyware definitions for it are dated sept 24, 2002, if you have the June 15, 2002 definitions, it will not handle as many parasites.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old December 18, 2002, 19:15   #40
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Ad-Aware isn't that updated anymore, please try SpyBot: Search and Destroy!
Old December 19, 2002, 11:36   #41
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:35
Zopperoni is right - I went ahead and downloaded Spybot. Spybot found alot more spy-ware than Adaware did. So I uninstalled Ad-Aware and installed Spybot.
Old December 19, 2002, 11:51   #42
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

I just performed a little test:

1. I cleaned my system using Spybot.

2. Ran Spybot one more time to make sure there was no spyware on my system - my system was clean.

3. Visited Apolyton - and only Apolyton.

4. Ran Spybot again.

5. Spybot came back with the following:

Commission Junction
Company: Commission Junction Inc.
Product: Cookie
Threat: Tracking cookie or cookie of tracking site
Company URL: http://www.cj.com/
Company product URL: http://www/commission-junction.com/
ompany privacy URL: http://www.cj.com/privacy.asp

So Spybot lists Commission Junction as Spyware...my question is: Should I be worried about it? I can delete it from my system using Spybot, but every time I visit Apolyton, it will just attach itself back onto my system.

Markos, can you shed some light on this? Thanks.
Old December 19, 2002, 12:17   #43
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Commision Junction is one of the biggest sites for affiliate marketing. We use it in various way, like links to shops or the translation box at the bottom of forum pages. The cookie probably just tracks that you visited a CJ affiliate, nothing moe nothing less.

In the end, a cookie is just a piece of information on your computer. It's not an application that will not run anything and do anything...
Old December 19, 2002, 12:25   #44
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Understand....I thought as much, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks for the quick reply Markos!
Old December 19, 2002, 13:58   #45
hoppy39000
Chieftain

Hi MarkG et all... Just a warning in the case,of Xupiter...I got nailed by it..I'm a 20+ year certified compaq tech.. It took myself and 4 upper level techs all working together 6.5 hrs to attempt to eliminate it.

Mark i gotta tell you..we went thru every procedure and recomendatin you have here and about 3+ hrs and more things ....It still leaves a number of hidden tricks that have allowed it to rebuild itself...Adware alone which we downloaded and ran didnt solve it completely the xupiter toolbar leaves at least 1 extra hidden worm..that we were thus far unable to eliminate totally...some may find after running adware and deleting all regeistry entries, dlls etc...That under "View", "toolbars" the option to use the bar remains there....even tho all other things were done...We found that if you even accidentally "recheck" xupiter...in toolbars that it will rebuild itself from scratch...we eventually found a way to "lock out" all extra toolbars and eliminate the option but i and they are not completely certain its gone I have twice in the last 2 weeks caught sites were it was "piggybacking and because it still picked up a trace from the 1st time, it attempted to rebuild...I do have an open case number with MS they are still researching...

Soo guys be warned ADWare alone may not rid you of it

Mark if you want email me and i'll give you the case #
go more into details... its a very nasty bug
Old December 19, 2002, 14:01   #46
hoppy39000
Chieftain

ohh and just to clarify the other techs were upper level and dev techs from MS itself
Old December 19, 2002, 15:01   #47
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

hoppy, thanks for the info

i think the best would be to contact and@doxdesk.com so that the page that we link to (http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/Xupiter.html) is updated accordingly

thanks again
Old December 19, 2002, 15:58   #48
hoppy39000
Chieftain

mark i just emailed the address you gave me above with slightly more detailed explination, and copies of my above posts...if you want or need followup email me at jpmuzyka@attbi.com or jpmuzyka@bellsouth.net glad to help anytime

jon
Old December 20, 2002, 10:49   #49
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Excellent feature, Markos

Of course, my PC was clean, but I'm on my parent's PC right now and it turns out it has like 8 or 9 of those parasites

I'm preparing a lecture on Internet security for my parents as I'm writing (and will download AdAware or something similar)
Old December 24, 2002, 06:55   #50
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Fortunately - I'm clean, another AdAware + ZoneAlarm user - the big problem is the kids' machines, they don't have the sophistication to realise that temptation generaly has a cost - my stepson's machine is a total nightmare - I am tempted to re-format and start over, but then he would lose some stuff that has actual value ;(

SG[1]
Old December 24, 2002, 09:31   #51
Zopperoni
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits
I am tempted to re-format and start over, but then he would lose some stuff that has actual value ;(
If you have a home network and some free diskspace on your own computer, you could transfer those "valuable" data on your own computer before formatting.
Otherwise, you could make a partition on your son's computer and put all the data there.
Old December 24, 2002, 14:13   #52
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

, its intresting to place your files on a cdrw or dvdrw , ..... there are even double sided dvd's and cd's on the market , ......

this serves a couple of things ; you allways have a copy , so if you travel its intresting , if your comp goes to comp heaven you still have a copy , if you want to do a reformat you can do so without losing time , ..... etc , ....

have a nice day & seasonal greetings
Old December 26, 2002, 11:21   #53
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Zopperoni

Otherwise, you could make a partition on your son's computer and put all the data there.
I didn't think that you could create a new partition without removing the old one and hence losing the data anyway.
Old December 26, 2002, 19:29   #54
Zopperoni
Emperor

With Partition Magic you can.
Old December 27, 2002, 02:49   #55
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Zopper, you are just full of little tid-bits of information, aren't you? Just keep these little tid-bits flowing!
Old December 28, 2002, 17:56   #56
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Quote:
With Partition Magic you can.
Ah......I looked at one of the early versions of this but didn't like it. I am old-fashioned......I still use fdisk.
Old December 28, 2002, 20:37   #57
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Fdisk
Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike

Ah......I looked at one of the early versions of this but didn't like it. I am old-fashioned......I still use fdisk.
hmm, and we all know what the f stands for
Old December 28, 2002, 22:44   #58
Zopperoni
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
I've used PM 6.0, 7.0, and 8.0, and so far I've been content with it.
Old December 29, 2002, 02:12   #59
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits
Fortunately - I'm clean, another AdAware + ZoneAlarm user - the big problem is the kids' machines, they don't have the sophistication to realise that temptation generaly has a cost - my stepson's machine is a total nightmare - I am tempted to re-format and start over, but then he would lose some stuff that has actual value ;(

SG[1]
Just make SG3 muck the stables a little more.
Old December 30, 2002, 22:51   #60
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
I've used PM 6.0, 7.0, and 8.0, and so far I've been content with it.
Call me outfashioned, but I'm still using version 4 (fits on a system disk, runs from DOS 6.22)... wonderful program, paid itself many times over.

I wonder, is there a risk that non-IE users get infected with this spyware business as well? I don't have extra toolbars on my screen, and am using Netscape 7. I know the home page won't reveal whether I'm infected... and was wondering whether I need adaware as well.

DeepO