King

Local Time: 12:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
And just to make this really clear: the 3 things I would like, above all else:

1. The ability to add eras
2. The ability to add eras
3. The ability to add eras

Got that?
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
zulu9812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2003, 14:14   #32
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 07:39
By any chance, zulu, would you be interested in the ability to add eras?

I think starting diplomatic relations, as well as permanent treaties (player A is in alliance with player B for the whole scenario) are a must.
Old January 15, 2003, 16:50   #33
Azeem
Prince

Here's an interesting idea that could be implemented for spies and diplomacy (well, actually it's from "Seven Kingdoms II"):
Create Incident - You can create a sort of little "incident" (doesn't have to be specific, just use you're imagination ) between two nations and get them to declare war on each other. That way you'll have two nations obliterate each other although you're the real reason for it.
So targets of "Create Incident" will recieve the message "X has plotted against us!" and thus immediately declare war at another nation.
But the stipulation is that if you get caught, both nations will declare war on you.
Azeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2003, 10:50   #34
zulu9812
King

bumpitty-bumpitty-bump
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
zulu9812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2003, 11:31   #35
Azeem
Prince

Do the people at Firaxis ever read these things???
Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"
Azeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2003, 21:58   #36
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 05:39
Certainly. Sometimes they even drop a line or two, though I haven't seen them do so in quite awhile frankly.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2003, 18:02   #37
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Actually, Azeem's comment about "Create Incident" reminds me of "Birth of the Federation". Although you wouldn't neccessarily start a war between two empires, you could definitely sour relations between them. Essentially, if you had enough points in Espionage (based on the number of espionage facilities you had in your empire) you could begin performing spying and sabotage missions using mercenaries from other empires, and could leave evidence implicating that empire in the espionage operation-it's REALLY cool (especially when you play the Romulans!!)
Anyway, I don't see why you couldn't have an extra espionage option where you can "implicate foreign power". It should cost a LOT more but you should be able to choose whom you wish to implicate from the available empires-this would be a GREAT way to end alliances and MPP's -not to mention start wars!!!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
The_Aussie_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2003, 08:17   #38
Notech
Settler

Local Time: 13:39
SMAC style unit automation
I'd really like to be able to set all human player units to automation.

Just think about it: protected artillery units patrolling your borders, fighters on constant recon/superiority missions, damaged units automatically fortifying until fully recovered, et cetera, and so on........

This is now a very tiresome micromanagement process once your empire has become large, and all you want to focus on is major strategies, but in wonderful SMAC it was fully handled by the A.I., if the player wanted it to.

Firaxis, or any skilled mod creator, is it possible to do this?

It would be greatly appreciated by many...

Am I right, or am I right, guys??
Old February 24, 2003, 09:47   #39
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 14:39
At least you get relly points in PtW.

Saves from a lot of micromanagment in your war campaigns.
player1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2003, 10:57   #40
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:39
Re: SMAC style unit automation
Quote:
Originally posted by Notech
I'd really like to be able to set all human player units to automation.

Just think about it: protected artillery units patrolling your borders, fighters on constant recon/superiority missions, damaged units automatically fortifying until fully recovered, et cetera, and so on........

This is now a very tiresome micromanagement process once your empire has become large, and all you want to focus on is major strategies, but in wonderful SMAC it was fully handled by the A.I., if the player wanted it to.

Firaxis, or any skilled mod creator, is it possible to do this?

It would be greatly appreciated by many...

Am I right, or am I right, guys??
That's my dream for Civ3. Patrols, patrols, patrols.
Old February 24, 2003, 11:35   #41
stechfreak
Settler

I don't know if anyone else has had the idea, but I'd like to create a terrorist unit, which can only be built when a civ is in anarchy. Of course, anarchy would be a valid government. The good thing about the terrorist unit would be that it is easy to build and has reasonable fire power. Bad thing would be, once you change government, they turn on you.

I guess I am still missing the fanatics from CIV2. But the fanatics of civ2 were not the double edged sword that these units would be.

-Stechfreak
stechfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2003, 11:49   #42
stechfreak
Settler

I don't know if anyone else has had the idea, but I'd like to create a terrorist unit, which can only be built when a civ is in anarchy. Of course, anarchy would be a valid government. The good thing about the terrorist unit would be that it is easy to build and has reasonable fire power. Bad thing would be, once you change government, they turn on you.

I guess I am still missing the fanatics from CIV2. But the fanatics of civ2 were not the double edged sword that these units would be.

-Stechfreak
stechfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2003, 12:54   #43
Willem
Emperor

Re: Re: SMAC style unit automation
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli

That's my dream for Civ3. Patrols, patrols, patrols.
Yes, I miss the patrols from SMAC too. In fact I miss a number of things from that game.
Old February 24, 2003, 12:56   #44
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by stechfreak

-Stechfreak
Sorry, but it can't be done. There's no such thing as a government specific unit.
Old February 25, 2003, 14:21   #45
Willem
Emperor

One more thing. I'd like to be able to set negative production numbers, just like I can with the culture. For instance, if I build a University in a city, it's going to draw a large number of that city's workforce, leaving less available for manufacturing.

And I really, really want the "Required goods must be in the city radius" moved to the general improvements area.
Old February 25, 2003, 18:00   #46
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

What I want next is:
Units which require a building (Improvement and/or wonder) in order to be built (sort of like how armies require the Military academy). So that I can have my modern units require munitions plants and tanks require armouries and naval vessels require a Port Facility.
Government specific units.
Obsolescence flags for general improvements (and units-if possible).
As Willem has stated, negative production values and, while we are at it, negative science outputs. For example, I want the Inquisition Small Wonder-it doubles the happiness effects of all Churches, and reduces corruption, but gives you a -50% science output in every city.
I wouldn't mind having the opposite of building and unit prerequisites-i.e., if you have a certain improvement, Wonder or even government type, then there should actually be units and buildings that you are NEVER able to build.
For example-you could have a "Nuclear Disarmament" or "Strategic Arms Limitation" Small Wonder which prevents you from ever building Nuclear power plants, Tac Nukes or ICBM's. Of course, it should increase happiness in every city on the continent . If you get rid of it then-viola-you can start building them again! Not sure if it could ever be done-but it would be COOL!!!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old February 26, 2003, 06:01   #47
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
1. I would like the wonder flag, "Resources Required in City Radius" moved to the general flags for improvements. I could do alot with new improvements if that were the case.
AMEN!!!
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
The Mad Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2003, 06:08   #48
The Mad Monk
Emperor

How about the ability to add new terrain types...say, swamp?

I would make swamp an overlay, like forest and jungle, with a 'drain' command to remove it. It would have a small chance of appearing along any grassland, plains or tundra tile that bordered a river, with the chance rising for each river, coast, and (already generated) swamp tile bordering that tile.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 26, 2003, 06:19   #49
WarpStorm
King

Cool idea with the swamp Mad Monk. You've even limited it to something that could probably be done in the current Civ3 engine without rewriting huge amounts of the code.
Old February 26, 2003, 11:13   #50
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker

For example-you could have a "Nuclear Disarmament" or "Strategic Arms Limitation" Small Wonder which prevents you from ever building Nuclear power plants, Tac Nukes or ICBM's. Of course, it should increase happiness in every city on the continent . If you get rid of it then-viola-you can start building them again! Not sure if it could ever be done-but it would be COOL!!!
Yeah that would be cool! It could be one of the functions of the UN that a nation could be forced to have inspectors in the country in order to keep tabs on their nuclear program. And it would be open season on any civ that expelled them. Of course Firaxis would have to create an Iraqi civ if they introduced that though.
Old February 26, 2003, 18:14   #51
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

All joking aside, Willem , the reason I suggested the "Strategic Arms Limitation" Small wonder is that, even if they don't get new diplomatic functions in the game-via the UN (Though I REALLY hope they do!!!)-it would at least allows us to "simulate" such an agreement! So long as it gave you a good culture and happiness effect, the AI might also be tempted to build it .
Of course, to make such a Wonder truly viable, they would HAVE to bring back the flag they used to have for the Eiffel Tower in Civ2-namely a flag which states "Increases your international reputation by X% (say 25 or 50%, for instance)". That way, if your reputation with a Civ is about -10, for instance, then this Wonder could increase it to -13 or -15!!
Anyway, what I'm also trying to say here is bring back the "Improves reputation" flag!!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old February 26, 2003, 23:23   #52
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker

Of course, to make such a Wonder truly viable, they would HAVE to bring back the flag they used to have for the Eiffel Tower in Civ2-namely a flag which states "Increases your international reputation by X% (say 25 or 50%, for instance)". That way, if your reputation with a Civ is about -10, for instance, then this Wonder could increase it to -13 or -15!!
Anyway, what I'm also trying to say here is bring back the "Improves reputation" flag!!
Yes I miss that as well. In Civ III, once you have a bad rep, even if it's through no fault of your own, it's almost impossible to repair it. If you do, it costs tons of gold and/or resources.
Old March 1, 2003, 17:30   #53
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
Cool idea with the swamp Mad Monk. You've even limited it to something that could probably be done in the current Civ3 engine without rewriting huge amounts of the code.
Hey, thanks!

The one thing I wish they had included in the editor would be a way to add new terrain types. I wouldn't leave it at swamps -- I would add different types of forests, reefs, volcanic mountain ranges, etc. Each new terrain type would be an opportunity to add different resources, movement rates, and so on, so that you could actually end up with totally different worlds. If you ever tried ToT, you have an idea of what I mean.
Old March 1, 2003, 20:38   #54
WarpStorm
King

Just say no to more terrain types.

I don't know if I have it in me to update my graphics. The scheme they used makes it very hard to add new base terrain types (overlay types are no problem).

Base terrain types require 81 different tiles for each combination of 3 terrain types that can touch. Each of these tiles must transition smoothly (preferably without repeating) into each other tile in the game. This scheme would quickly fall apart with just a handful more base types.
Old March 4, 2003, 23:54   #55
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

For my part, I'm not so much worried about new terrain graphics-I'd just like to be able to CREATE (rather than just edit) both new terrain and new terrain improvements!!! The improvements are especially important as I'd like to have several levels of mines and irrigation!
On another note, I see NO EDITOR improvements at all in the latest patch . Well, looks like that mod of mine will just have to wait-again!!! .

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.