Old August 28, 2000, 21:07   #1
XWaste
Prince

Local Time: 01:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Tech options
This is something I have been wondering for the last couple of months that I have been playing smac...how does the computer choose what tech you can choose to research at any one time. It doesn't present all the possible techs that you can research, like normally at the start you can choose most, so I normally pick biogenetics or social psych so I can try to get Secrets of the brain quickly, but sometimes after I have researched one, I can't pick the other and another faction gets secrets first while I waiting to be able to pick the other pre-requisite. It makes it really hard to plan your tech paths properly when you know you have the pre-requisites, but can't choose the tech.
Thanks
Old August 29, 2000, 03:28   #2
Beör
Warlord

I wondered precisely the same thing.

I think it's a random thing, never tested it though.
Old August 29, 2000, 10:25   #3
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 18:47
Local Date: October 30, 2010

It's random, with a 77% probability you won't have the option of getting what you need to research.

Seriously - I read - I think in a Tim Train or Chris Pine interview - that if two techs are needed for the next level, and you have one, if there are other same level techs available you will be offered these first.

e.g. you have, say,SoHB and want Cent Ecology to get to Cent Empathy. It will offer you any other level one tech you haven't got, before it looks at your research preferences. Then, say, you have Build/Conquer as your prefs, it will lead you thru the math/chemistry/loyalty level 2's before offering the level 1 Cent Ec.

I recall something to the effect that they had a "not greater than 10% diff" in the Explore/Discover/Build/Conquer bar graphs.

But that was over a year ago, in the old OWO forums. Any other oldtimers remember?

Googlie
Old August 29, 2000, 10:31   #4
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

I believe there was a thread on these boards regarding that problem maybe a month ago. I'll have a look and bump it for you.
Old August 30, 2000, 06:21   #5
XWaste
Prince

Thanks people, I was sure there was some reason behind it, and not completely random as I had noticed certain patterns. Looks like its a way of adding 'extra' pre-requisites...sorta.