Old December 16, 2002, 18:39   #1
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 07:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Prepoll: Universal Bill Proposal
Otherwise known as The Bill To Let The FAM Propose His Own Darn Policy.

This amendment would change the following section of Article II: The Senate from (parts to be changed in bold):
Quote:
2 Any Senator may propose a law.
(a) To propose a law, a senator must post a poll that is clear, unbiased, states the proposed law in its entirety, and gives three options: “yea”, “nay”, and “abstain”.
To (parts changed in bold):
Quote:
2 Any citizen may propose a law.
(a) To propose a law, a citizen must post a poll that is clear, unbiased, states the proposed law in its entirety, and gives three options: “yea”, “nay”, and “abstain”.
Any comments/objections before I put this up for votes?
Old December 16, 2002, 18:43   #2
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Why don't we just add another clause?

I like the balance of power that the current system creates. We can solve the problem by adding in "Any Minister may propose a law that addresses one of the powers granted to their office". That way, we keep the balance as intended by NewCon, and yet make it so Ministers can propose the law themselves.

Personally, I think that it's not a bad thing to force one senator to agree to sign his name to a bill before the bill goes to vote -- but since I'm alone in this, I believe the above compromise is better than just striking the idea from the NewCon alltogether.

-- adaMada
Old December 16, 2002, 18:51   #3
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by adaMada
Why don't we just add another clause?

I like the balance of power that the current system creates. We can solve the problem by adding in "Any Minister may propose a law that addresses one of the powers granted to their office". That way, we keep the balance as intended by NewCon, and yet make it so Ministers can propose the law themselves.

Personally, I think that it's not a bad thing to force one senator to agree to sign his name to a bill before the bill goes to vote -- but since I'm alone in this, I believe the above compromise is better than just striking the idea from the NewCon alltogether.

-- adaMada
adaMada,

I agree with your thoughts in principle, which is why I followed through with the letter of the law on that w/o complaining about it at the time.

That said, however, the problem is not one of principle but of logistics. It already takes 3 days to approve of such a senate bill. Making the minister (in that case, myself) have to find a senator and get the senator to post it (and hoping that the senator posts its correctly w/o altering it) only served to add additional time and potential confusion to an already-long process.

As such, I agree with your suggested compromise. Allowing ministers to propose senate bills, but only on the issues where there are lines in the constitution that say that they must seek senate approval for some action that falls under their jurisdiction (which means only THEY would be able to propose it in the first place anyhow).

That's workable
Old December 16, 2002, 19:05   #4
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Good suggestion. I'll add it in.

New version (addition in bold):
Quote:
2 Any Senator may propose a law. Any Minister may propose a law that addresses one of the powers granted to their office.
(a) To propose a law, a senator (or minister under the conditions above) must post a poll that is clear, unbiased, states the proposed law in its entirety, and gives three options: “yea”, “nay”, and “abstain”.
Old December 16, 2002, 19:15   #5
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Sounds good.
Old December 16, 2002, 19:28   #6
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 08:44
I like it.

E_T
Old December 16, 2002, 19:39   #7
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 06:44
While this helps, it still does not address the problem of turnchats. I see no reason for turnchats to be considered sessions of the Senate Assembled. That way the administration can propose any plan that seems appropropriate as a unamamous consent request. If any Senator present objects, since it is almost certain that a quorum will not be present, the choices would be:

.) withdraw the proposal and continue the chat in accordance with outstanding orders and laws

.) stop the chat with the proposal immediately placed before the whole Senate
Old December 16, 2002, 19:57   #8
Kloreep
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by roadcage
While this helps, it still does not address the problem of turnchats.
Something that definitely needs to be addressed. But that's going to be more controversial, and I want to get this in ASAP (it's going to have to spend 7 days being voted on as it is ). Refinements for turnchats can always be added in a seperate amendment.
Old December 16, 2002, 20:20   #9
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 04:44
I think this may also be a good time to discuss what we should finally do with abstain.

I still take issue to the fact that "abstain is a vote but it doesn't count either way."

So we can get a bill passed that is 3 Yes, 1 No, 19 Abstain, which is definitely an issue.

I don't mean to derail this thread, but would this not be the perfect time to address this?

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old December 16, 2002, 20:25   #10
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 06:44
Change the options to "yea', 'nay', and 'present'
Old December 16, 2002, 20:25   #11
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I always considered a vote of abstain as "whatever everyone else wants". In my dictionary the word "avoid" comes up. So abstaining is really just avoiding to make a decision, and leaving it up to whoever votes yes or no.

So WhiteBandit, in your example of 3 Yes, 1 No, and 19 Abstain, every single person who voted Abstain basically felt that the decision was best left to the 4 people who DID cast a vote for yes or no.....
Old December 16, 2002, 21:40   #12
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Abstain, by NewCon, is a vote of "Present, counting towards Quorum, and allowing others to decide". This was debated heavily when NewCon was being passed, and I'm sure some people still disagree today.

Personally, I think this makes the most sense. Either way, I must ask that any discussion on this matter occur in a different thread, and be part of a different amendment. This amendment deals with one problem, and we should not bring another (and far more controversial) problem into it -- for clarity's sake if nothing else.

-- adaMada
Old December 16, 2002, 21:45   #13
Kloreep
Emperor

Thank you, ada.

Since people seem to think this thread is too boring and uncontroversial, () I'll go ahead and post the poll now. I know this prepoll has only been up for a little while, but it's a simple change I doubt anyone will object to.
Old December 16, 2002, 21:49   #14
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
2 Any Senator may propose a law. Any Minister may propose a law that addresses one of the powers granted to their office.
(a) To propose a law, a senator (or minister under the conditions above) must post a poll that is clear, unbiased, states the proposed law in its entirety, and gives three options: “yea”, “nay”, and “abstain”.

But I would have also voted for it in it's original form.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old December 16, 2002, 21:56   #15
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

just change the freaking NewCon
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old December 21, 2002, 22:44   #16
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I can't remember if we have voted on this yet or not. I can't find the poll.

E_T
Old December 21, 2002, 22:49   #17
Kloreep
Emperor

Being voted on here. It was topped it a short while ago (thank you Arnelos ).