Old December 18, 2002, 01:34   #1
Blisterz
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
XP Themes
Since I installed XP I have been looking for a place to DL one of those nifty XP themes that I have seen pictures of (they seem to look a lot better then then old 9x/NT themes). Can anyone tell me where a good place to find them is? I found this site called ThemeXP (or somthing like that) but I can't get that site to send me a password

Thanks

William Seward Burroughs
February 5, 1914 - August 2, 1997 R.I.P. Uncle Bill, you are missed.
Old December 18, 2002, 01:41   #2
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 06:48
I got the ones I use from ThemeXP before their site seems to have died. My favorite is ChromeXP2, but I've been using it for awhile now and wouldn't mind getting something new.
Old December 18, 2002, 03:46   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:48
I've just switched to XP (ok, I'm win98 at the moment to release my ip addy so XP can use it, and visitting 'Poly while I'm at it), so I would be interested in some decent themes too.
Old December 18, 2002, 03:52   #4
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:48
Themes waste cpu processing power and memory.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 18, 2002, 03:54   #5
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

On XP you're using themes no matter what, so what's the problem?

Even the "Windows Classic" look on Windows XP is merely a theme in the same way the fischer-price look on WinXP is, and any third party ones you download...
Old December 18, 2002, 08:47   #6
Aeson
Emperor

http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.asp?library=8

ThemeXP isn't here, WindowBlinds, CursorXP, LogonStudio are... among other things. (great overall site)

http://mozilla.deskmod.com/?show=sho...t_name=stylexp

StyleXP can be found here. It's probably the best one I've tried, and is easy to customize the themes. PlasticTube is really cool (especially with some customization).
Old December 18, 2002, 08:52   #7
Aeson
Emperor

The skin programs are more memory intensive than regular themes and load slower. StyleXP uses the same theme structure XP is already using and so isn't any different than using the default XP themes from a performance standpoint.
Old December 18, 2002, 08:55   #8
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:48
Actually if you set your comp to "full performance" mode, it ends up with less features than win98, and less performance waste. Of course, its ugly as hell.

Thanks for the links, Aeson.
Old December 18, 2002, 10:14   #9
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 09:48
So would I have to download and install a third-party soft in order to be able to use third-party themes? I'd like to be able to load them directly using the Themes tab in Display Properties, but I'm guessing that this is not possible. Is it?
Old December 18, 2002, 10:27   #10
Aeson
Emperor

StyleXP software hacks into the basic XP functionality, so you change themes in the same way (for the most part). You can do the file editing yourself, or just let the software do it for you. For whatever reason (almost assuredly $$$), Gates & co. decided to not allow users to use their own themes, and so you have to bypass some built in protection just to load third party themes, even though they use the same formatting.
Old December 18, 2002, 10:27   #11
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

It is possible. There's some way to do something with a patch that lets you select themes from the display panel. I think you'll want to look for something called uxthemepatcher.