Old December 18, 2002, 01:42   #1
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 07:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Prepoll: Military Alliance Bill
Togas and I talked about a new Military Alliance Bill in the turnchat. There's a big difference between them: mine would make the power to sign Alliances at will permanent (though it would only apply to nations we are already officially at war with). Togas' would only apply to the current war with Rome and upcoming war with Germany, and expire after that. So, I'm putting up this prepoll to see what popular opinion is.

Here's my version of the bill (which could, of course, be tweaked):

Quote:
The senate hereby grants the FAM the power to sign any Military Alliance agreements with any nation against any nation WE ARE ALREADY IN AN OFFICIAL, DECLARED WAR AGAINST.
Old December 18, 2002, 01:59   #2
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Create a check, though. Both the President and the SMC have reason to be concerned about signing an alliance against a civ (which means a 20-turn war) rather than seeing if we can seek a peace fairly soon (as dumb as that can be at times...).

So perhaps it should have a similar check on it to that of the FAM signing peace treaties (the President OR the SMC has to agree to it).

Otherwise,
Old December 18, 2002, 02:09   #3
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:48
I'm working on something along the lines of:

"The Senate hereby defers to the President in giving permission to the FAM to sign any and all treaties with foreign nations for the duration of our war with Rome, and for the duration of our coming war with Germany and any resulting wars with other nations.

By the passing of this bill, the Senate approves any treaty that has been approved by the President for the duration of this bill.

This bill expires when Apolyton is no longer in a state of war with any nation."

Comments?

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old December 18, 2002, 02:43   #4
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Well, I of course am going to say I prefer mine. I'd prefer not to pass similiar bills over and over again, and with a check by other officials like Arnelos suggested, I doubt we'll be dragged into long wars we don't want by an errant FAM.

It's not a major deal, though. I'd be happy to see either pass.
Old December 18, 2002, 14:52   #5
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 06:48
Will the proponents, please proceed to the smoke filled back room and come back with one bill?
Old December 18, 2002, 15:36   #6
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by roadcage
Will the proponents, please proceed to the smoke filled back room and come back with one bill?
-cough-

We spent enough time in that smoke-filled room last night
Old December 18, 2002, 16:32   #7
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 08:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos

-cough-

We spent enough time in that smoke-filled room last night
I do my Smoking OUTSIDE. Of course, that doesn't mean that we didn't have other Rooms filled with smoke while mine was clear...

E_T
Old December 18, 2002, 16:50   #8
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I think this thread was started to see which bill the public preferred. Kloreep & I could both post our bills, and I suppose both could be approved, but we'd prefer to see which one(s) the public wants.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old December 18, 2002, 16:57   #9
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Togas
I think this thread was started to see which bill the public preferred. Kloreep & I could both post our bills, and I suppose both could be approved, but we'd prefer to see which one(s) the public wants.

--Togas
Whatever you do... START A BILL.

If the bill gets passed before Sunday or Monday, it might even allow ManicStarSeed to pass military alliances against Rome and Germany in the next turnchat .

So don't waste any time!
Old December 18, 2002, 17:09   #10
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Do we really need aliances against Germany? I think we can get the nations involved simply by stationing an obsolete unit on a mountain near Hamburg (but inside our territory.)

I think we might want to sign some military alliances against China though with both Japan & India so that China can be punished. (It might take a long time for China to get a ship out to us so the MPP gets trigured.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos

Whatever you do... START A BILL.

If the bill gets passed before Sunday or Monday, it might even allow ManicStarSeed to pass military alliances against Rome and Germany in the next turnchat .

So don't waste any time!
Old December 18, 2002, 17:10   #11
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
Do we really need aliances against Germany? I think we can get the nations involved simply by stationing an obsolete unit on a mountain near Hamburg (but inside our territory.)

I think we might want to sign some military alliances against China though with both Japan & India so that China can be punished. (It might take a long time for China to get a ship out to us so the MPP gets trigured.)
Whatever... this is up to ManicStarSeed now
Old December 18, 2002, 17:13   #12
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 08:48
I like the temporary one.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old December 18, 2002, 17:53   #13
Togas
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
I like the temporary one.
That's good enough for me.

--Togas
Old December 18, 2002, 18:33   #14
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

The onlt reason for alliances is this, germany could in theory sign an alliance against us with greece and england. Another thing to consider is this, we have played 6 or 7 turns since the mpp's. they have 13 or 14 turns left. If we make alliance with the countries we are obligated for 20 turns of war against germany. Now this probably isn't an issue because I doubt the war will last longer than 10 turns. Lets face it, it will take about 5 turns of offensive war, before all except nw germany is ours. Then those cities will be under pressure from 4 civs, a 4city civ vs. 4 civs is no contest and will end quickly.
Aggie