A lot of civs, like civ3, but they're all much alike 7 70.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 18, 2002, 01:55   #1
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 04:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
less civs & more unique ones or more civs and less unique
I love civ3, but there's a part of it I don't like. Some games, like age of mythology or warcraft, don't have many civs (or races) at all, but they're very different. In civ3, they brag about all of the civs in it, but they're all too much alike. What do you think? Civ3 or age of myth style?
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old December 18, 2002, 10:29   #2
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 13:48
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
The sad truth is that we humans are, after all, very much alike.
But I would welcome one more trait (agricultural), and civ-specific Wonders could add some spice as well.
Old December 19, 2002, 00:32   #3
johncmcleod
Prince

Look at Age of Kings. The civs in that are very unique, much more than in civ3. The have certain bonuses and stuff. Civ3 just has 2 traits and a UU.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old December 19, 2002, 05:43   #4
peterfharris
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

Local Time: 12:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Ribannah
But I would welcome one more trait (agricultural), and civ-specific Wonders could add some spice as well.
Looking in the editor, it appears that one can have trait specific wonders. That is, it appears that you may tag a wonder so that only a civilisation having that specific trait may build it. You could thus add more wonders and tag them for specific traits to accentuate the differences between traits. I believe that you may create now city improvements and tag those improvements for specific traits to further accentuate trait differences. You may also tag any civilisation to have anywhere from 0 to 6 traits. Perhaps if one were sufficiently imaginative one could create an interesting scenario by judicious mixing and matching of traits and trait specific wonders (great & small) and improvements. I am intending to try this in due course.

I have just started a game in which I tagged a wonder and an improvement to one trait which only my civilisation has to see if this works. I don't build the wonder and if no one else builds it then I shall assume it works. I have also put in a few civilisations which can not build settlers (ie they are restricted to only one city) to see what this does to the relations between players (will they get swallowed up with detrimental effects on the diplomatic standing of the swallower or what?)
Old December 19, 2002, 18:47   #5
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 08:48
Quote:
Originally posted by peterfharris

Looking in the editor, it appears that one can have trait specific wonders. That is, it appears that you may tag a wonder so that only a civilisation having that specific trait may build it. You could thus add more wonders and tag them for specific traits to accentuate the differences between traits. I believe that you may create now city improvements and tag those improvements for specific traits to further accentuate trait differences. You may also tag any civilisation to have anywhere from 0 to 6 traits. Perhaps if one were sufficiently imaginative one could create an interesting scenario by judicious mixing and matching of traits and trait specific wonders (great & small) and improvements. I am intending to try this in due course.

I have just started a game in which I tagged a wonder and an improvement to one trait which only my civilisation has to see if this works. I don't build the wonder and if no one else builds it then I shall assume it works. I have also put in a few civilisations which can not build settlers (ie they are restricted to only one city) to see what this does to the relations between players (will they get swallowed up with detrimental effects on the diplomatic standing of the swallower or what?)
I can tell you now that you are incorrect, flagging a wonder with a specific trait will trigger a golden age with that trait but any civ may still build it. Also the units listed in the build often screen, means that they prefer those units over another unit, it does not mean that they will not build a specific unit.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old December 19, 2002, 19:32   #6
Chilean President™
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Deity

Local Time: 08:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Ribannah

I agree with Ribannah, I believe that their should include the agriculture trait to the game. It is something much more necessary to be trustworthy to the world reality.

In any case, all the human civilizations look like each other, I would like that Civ4 have more civilizations to choose. After all the ruler is who makes the difference.
Old December 21, 2002, 13:42   #7
johncmcleod
Prince

Just because they look alike doesn't make them the same. In Age of Empires and Age of Kings they civs have many bonuses and a UU. It should be more like that.
Old December 26, 2002, 20:09   #8
bobbo008
Prince

Local Time: 06:48
considering individual civs take up hardly any space (leaderheads, UU, and specific traits, which doesnt even count), there is no reason why there aren't 40 civs. Several civs are basically identical, and for the "unique" units, how many are just different versions of the knight with 1 stat changed?