Old December 18, 2002, 08:50   #1
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
City planning report
All right- my first thread on the DG

Here is the posted copy of my report to president Cavebear, with my recommendations for each city's production as well as worker reallocation.

Please append comments, suggestions and points of view that I have not properly considered.

Capitol: Remove worker from Tundra and change to scientist. This will increase science from 63- 76 although putting Capitol in a food deficit of 2.
Women's Suffrage should be rushed in Capitol using stockpiled caravans, as well as rushbuilt caravans from other homeland cities.

Seville: Rushbuild caravan in Seville. Building a library will increase science +6 beakers, and should be next on build queue

St. Praski: relocate worker from ocean square to irrigated grassland shield square. 3fs2t better than 1f3t. Rushbuild caravan in production. Harbour should be next in queue, increasing food +7

Cordova: Continue building university

Salamanca: Relocate worker from forest to irrigated plains square. 2f1s2t better than 1f2s. Continue building library.

Barcelona: Fire evil elvis, place new worker on ocean square.
Switch current build from engineer to freight, rushbuild freight.
Next up should be university, as Barcelona is producing 36 science.

Valladolid: Sell unneeded courthouse. Change production from frieght to engineer. After engineer is built, build harbour to increase food production.

Saragossa: Continue building marketplace.

Cadiz: Switch worker from sea 1f3t to mined hill, 1f3s. Continue building Library.

Bilbao: Rushbuild freight (8 shields required, but only 7 production). Next in queue is another freight.

Grenada: Transfer worker from sea to plains, rushbuild freight. Next in build queue is Library to add +5 to science. Also- Aqueduct needed for further city growth.

Malaga: Continue building marketplace.

Pamplona: Continue building Library

Vigo: Continue building Library

Avila: Continue building Library

Leon: Transfer worker from unworked grassland to ocean, 1f3t better than 2f. Continue building Library.

Freeport: Continue building marketplace. Next on build queue are Engineers.

Obladi: Continue building marketplace.

Santander: Switch from caravan to engineers. Next on build queue is harbour.

Whale Island: Continue building caravan. Next on build queue is marketplace.

Panama Canal: Continue building marketplace. No coastal fortress unless people
vote in favour.

Cartagena: Switch from unworked grassland square to ocean square. Switch from marketplace to engineer. Next in build queue is marketplace.

Naples: Build engineer to settle island.

Cunaxa: Transfer worker from forest to grassland shield square. Rushbuild temple. Next up on build queue is Engineer to settle empty part of island.

Cremona: Switch from muskets to engineer.

Cannae: Switch from muskets to engineer.

Capua: Continue building marketplace
Old December 18, 2002, 16:40   #2
JCP
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameMacCivilization II Succession GamesScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 14:49
It's difficult to comment without the save file !
But the whole seems logical.

Why no costal fort in Panama ?
Old December 18, 2002, 17:02   #3
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 22:49
Obviously we don't require $ or science beakers from freights anymore.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old December 18, 2002, 17:22   #4
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:49
well if there is enough money to make this round of builds...then freight can wait.....so long as the golden rule of libs and markets is followed......don't waste money on buildings that don't offer the empire a benefit both short or longterm, its better to just build caravans
Old December 18, 2002, 17:51   #5
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Valladolid: Sell unneeded courthouse. Change production from frieght to engineer. After engineer is built, build harbour to increase food production.
what will this do to happiness?

after this round of marketplaces and libraries we can go back to caravans. besides, don't we need a navy to defend our transports anyways? it will take planning to do that
Old December 18, 2002, 20:55   #6
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

i know the markets and libs don't cost us, we have ASTF....just make sure that the cities will benefit from the long term building of those said improvements....

i am a huge fan of rushbuilding things...which means delivering freight.....and taking a turn off to rush build a market, freight, library etc....

not 100% sure how were doing it here
Old December 18, 2002, 21:22   #7
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

Local Time: 06:49
Looks like a pretty damned good plan to me.
Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game
Old December 18, 2002, 22:21   #8
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Some information of city shield production.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1814shields.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	32034  
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old December 18, 2002, 22:25   #9
cavebear
Emperor

Notice that most of our cities are very low on usable shields, and that some are practically stagnant. We just can't build very many city-structures quickly in most places (Freight or otherwise). I think we need to invest in shield production technologies for a bit for long-term survival.
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old December 18, 2002, 23:33   #10
War4ever
Emperor

cavebear i agree.....i think we should steal techs to upgrade the military, while foucussing on shield production, caravans, and hoovers....but get us some military, cuz we could be spanked otherwise.

dips are wasting away
Old December 19, 2002, 16:22   #11
JCP
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameMacCivilization II Succession GamesScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

How low is the schield production in each city !
We need working forest and building factories in main cities.
And have we not too many units to be supported ?
Old December 19, 2002, 17:23   #12
War4ever
Emperor

i think maybe we should trim the military, (after) we steal the techs to upgrade what we have. if we keep our rivals away, we should have nothing to fear on our home front????????

there fore one defender per city is all that is required....
Old December 19, 2002, 18:56   #13
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Thanks CannonFodder!

As for Valladolid- we will be fine with selling courthouse. We have 30% lux for our taxes. Valladolid has 4 happies and 1 unhappy, reduced to 3 happies without the courthouse. Should be fine. Also one of those unhappies will become a engineer.

I can see only 7 cities that will benefit at all from factories at this time, from Cavebear's post. However, I want to get all libraries and marketplaces in place before increasing shield production.

I recommend we begin the research track to Miniturisation in order to increase shield production across the board. Ocean squares are great for trade but poor for production.

I'm not in favour of coastal fortress at this time because of the high cost and the defending riflemen.

War-
We have 4000+ gold so we are in good shape to rushbuild many improvements and our necessary wonders. I've only suggested the few necessary, and left the rest to Cavebear's discretion.
Old December 19, 2002, 19:47   #14
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by War4ever
i think maybe we should trim the military, (after) we steal the techs to upgrade what we have. if we keep our rivals away, we should have nothing to fear on our home front????????

there fore one defender per city is all that is required....
I disagree. The Barbs and AIs have no trouble dropping 4 or 5 Vet Crusaders or Dragoons on our cities. One defender is not sufficient. We don't even have City Walls except at CAPITOL!
Old December 19, 2002, 20:08   #15
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by obiwan18
I can see only 7 cities that will benefit at all from factories at this time, from Cavebear's post. However, I want to get all libraries and marketplaces in place before increasing shield production.
One correction to that chart: Bilboa has 10 total shields, not 3. But I agree that not every city would benefit sufficiently from a Factory at this time. But Factories are an investment that will pay off through time. Building a Factory first, however painful, will allow the other things to be built faster. Factories, with Hoovers, double your shields.

Quote:
I recommend we begin the research track to Miniturisation in order to increase shield production across the board. Ocean squares are great for trade but poor for production.
I want those Offshore Platforms, too; we'll get a lot of shields that way. But that tech is at least 5 techs away even if we went straight for it.

Quote:
I'm not in favour of coastal fortress at this time because of the high cost and the defending riflemen.
Ironclads will wipe out all our coastal cities without Coastal Fortresses. We demonstrated that (in reverse) in the last game far too clearly.

Old December 19, 2002, 20:35   #16
War4ever
Emperor

well what i don't really understand is what have we been doing , the game is moving along and yet we seem to have paltry defence, no production , but decent science....are we in danger or losing to the ai????

ok if the barbs are causing problems, then keep the defence, but why are we letting the ai dictate our homeland????
Old December 20, 2002, 13:18   #17
JCP
Prince

Barbs come from sea or cityless areas.
AI units come from sea.
So, costal cities have to be strongly defended, but inner cities may stay with one rifleman.
Old December 20, 2002, 15:38   #18
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by War4ever
well what i don't really understand is what have we been doing , the game is moving along and yet we seem to have paltry defence, no production , but decent science....are we in danger or losing to the ai????

ok if the barbs are causing problems, then keep the defence, but why are we letting the ai dictate our homeland????
New Apolytonia has been merrily building mostly Caravans and Frieght for almost the entire game. Some have gone to build the Wonders we have, but most have gone to China for gold and bonus beakers. In turn, those bonus beakers are the main source of our technology.
Old December 20, 2002, 17:21   #19
War4ever
Emperor

Thanks Cavebear, i understand that , and its sound strategy...i just dont' understand how were so deficient in so many departments....

are we in danger of being overrun, if so protect the coasts...but otherise lets get cracking lol