Old December 18, 2002, 23:35   #1
ivanbuto
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Calculating production in city
I understand a part of it goes to PW, part of it to crime, part of it to military, rest remains for building. What I don't understand is where I can actually see what my production rate is for any given city. The national manager shows the production before all the other things are subtracted. Yet I only know the rates for crime rate, PW and the total military support costs, but I don't actually see how much exactly of a city's production goes into PW, crime rate, and the military, and what exactly is left afterwards. I think in CTP1 I could somehow get both the total and the net production, even if it was also rather awkward there too.

Ivan
Old December 19, 2002, 18:24   #2
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:54
I think that you can't actually see the net city production of a single city unfortunately The Empire Manager should show you the net production for your entire Civ, but when your civ consists of more than 1 city (which it usually does ) there's no way to check for individual cities. I'm not entirely certain about this though - I know for sure that this applies to food and gold (and the numbers for food and gold in the City Manager are NOT calculated in exactly the same way (I don't have my notes handy so I can't elaborate on this right now)) but I didn't test for production yet - but it seems unlikely that it's not...
Old December 19, 2002, 18:28   #3
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 09:54
You can check through the National Manager Screen. There is a column for the production

I guess you forgot about that one, Loc
-Jean Rostand
Old December 19, 2002, 18:41   #4
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Yes, but is it the net production or just the collected production (with crime, PW, etc not deducted yet)? I'm not so sure about that one. For food and gold I think it's both collected food corrected for crime only (and not for government, buildings, etc) - but I'm not entirely sure of that either - need my notes for that.
Old December 19, 2002, 22:27   #5
ivanbuto
Chieftain

The values for production in the National Manager seem to be the gross values, since together they add up to the number that's listed as Collected Production in the Empire Manager and from which PW, crime and military support is subtracted.
On the other hand the values for gold and science listed in the national manager are the net values, since they add up to the gold and science totals in the empire manager, and those are already without the subtracted maintenance and crime.

Ivan
Old December 19, 2002, 22:55   #6
ivanbuto
Chieftain

And BTW how exactly does one calculate the military support costs? Is there a number for each unit? (I couldn't find anyhting in Units.txt), and then is this multiplied by some military readiness factor or is this more complicated? The only number one can see in the game is the total production units (and %) for military support.

Ivan
Old December 20, 2002, 07:47   #7
Locutus
Deity

For the support cost, you can get all the data you need (I think) from the Unit Manager (F8). Every unit costs a number of shields per turn to support, as defined in Units.txt and as the Unit Manager indicates (per unit type). The total support cost of all your units is multiplied by a readiness factor, which is IIRC 1.0 for War, 0.35 for Peace and 0.65 for Alert (so roughly 1/3, 2/3 and 3/3). The only exception here are the special forces: you always pay 100% support for them, so their support cost is deducted from the total before the readiness reduction is made.
Old December 20, 2002, 13:24   #8
ivanbuto
Chieftain

I understand the coefficients that modify support costs, but how do I get the base number for each unit? I couldn't find any value in Units.txt that would give me this - is it just a function of the production costs?
Old December 20, 2002, 13:40   #9
Locutus
Deity

In Units.txt it's ShieldHunger.
In the game: press F8 and look under the Support column.
Old December 20, 2002, 13:43   #10
ivanbuto
Chieftain

Thanks. I must have been blind or something.
Thanks for all the help BTW I think I'm pretty much good to go now.