Old December 19, 2002, 11:38   #1
sethk
Settler

Local Time: 12:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A.I. and Boreholes
In every game i've played of Alien Crossfire (patched to the latest version), I don't recall ever seeing the A.I. factions build boreholes. No boreholes when looking at A.I cities through infiltration, none when the world map is revealed, even hundreds of years after they all obtain the technology to build them.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a bug of some sort that manages to affect every single game of mine, or has my computer been 'infected' with the spirit of a long dead Greenpeace protester?

It's just a little irritating to be unmatched in every game in terms of industrial production, even against Yang or Domai.

Any help?
Old December 19, 2002, 12:39   #2
spartak
King

Crap AI basically.
Old December 19, 2002, 14:11   #3
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 08:55
Play Multiplayer. The AI does skimp on terraforming, and I personally don't recall seeing AI built boreholes either.
Old December 19, 2002, 19:40   #4
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 14:55
i do..
Actually it was Gaians.. urghhh
Old December 20, 2002, 03:03   #5
Sikander
King

Local Time: 05:55
I've seen it, but not often. About as rare as an AI supply crawler hauling resources.
Old December 20, 2002, 11:31   #6
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 07:55
Very rarely, even when an AI faction gets the Weather Paradigm.
Old December 20, 2002, 14:23   #7
Clear Skies
Prince

Re: A.I. and Boreholes
Quote:
Originally posted by sethk
or has my computer been 'infected' with the spirit of a long dead Greenpeace protester?
lol.

As to the question...yes, I usually see about one or two per game. That's why, if I want a bit more of a challenge, I'll invade the AI's territory with formers the minute I get a Pact and build about seven
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old December 20, 2002, 20:16   #8
Xian
Warlord

are borholes really that damging to the eco thingy? I havent had many problems with them
Old December 21, 2002, 00:06   #9
Hendrik
Warlord

Boreholes create the most ecodamage of all terraforming, but by the time you have them you will usually have tree farms, which halve eco damage caused by terraforming. Hybrid forests completely eliminate eco damage caused by terraforming. Eco damage is usually caused by crawlering in excessive amounts of minerals to one base.
Old December 21, 2002, 00:52   #10
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 08:55
Its not just Boreholes, but the AI doesn't typically bother to build Condensors, Energy Parks, nor take advantage of natural resource tiles the way humans intuitively do, thus leaving the AI completeley helpless by Mid-Game for humans who beeline to Indi Auto in games set up by the computer.
However, a shrewd human Scenario Creator, aware of the AI's limits, as well as their natural capabilities/ tendencies, will take this into account when building the map for each game they create! By initially building enhancements into the map that the AI will naturally immediately take advantage of, as well as giving the AI a desired/ designed path to follow as far as development is concerned, will guarrantee an AI opponent (or opponents) that are much more worthy of Human(s) challenge!

D

-=Vel=-