chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Things that make you go, Hmmmm????
From Joe Coneson's Journal on Salon.com

Snow's job and the dock lockout
As several readers have pointed out, the confluence of CSX chief John Snow's Treasury appointment and his company's deal with the Bush-connected Carlyle Group is still more intriguing when another factor is considered: the president's decision to invoke his Taft-Hartley authority to stop the West Coast dock lockout (and not a strike, as I said earlier), just when that labor dispute was threatening to scuttle the CSX-Carlyle deal. Did the president misuse his power to help a business that pays his father and his advisor James Baker III, along with a raft of other Bush cronies? Will anyone in the Senate dare to ask the obvious questions about this strange coincidence when Snow is confirmed? Maybe the AFL-CIO, which has been complaining about Snow's stewardship of CSX, will prod its friends on the Hill.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 19, 2002, 15:00   #2
chequita guevara
Emperor

and a little more
Snow's job
Something as spectacular as the Trent Lott implosion always obscures other fascinating news, such as a curious coincidence that attended the appointment of CSX chief executive John Snow as the new treasury secretary. While he pondered a new role in the Bush administration, his company has been negotiating a major deal with the Carlyle Group, corporate home of James Baker III and George Herbert Walker Bush. According to CBS MarketWatch, those negotiations were consummated late yesterday, with the sale of a majority stake in CSX's domestic container shipping unit -- CSX Lines -- to Carlyle for about $240 million in cash and $60 million in securities.

The deal reportedly was held up for a while in late October by the West Coast dockworkers' strike, which caused the Carlyle suits deep concern over the CSX unit's future revenues. But with the strike concluded, the deal was done.

As Daniel Gross explained in Slate last week, Snow is a former government bureaucrat turned "access capitalist," a not-very-successful CEO with a big appetite for perks and a lavish hand with political contributions. He wasn't a great choice for Treasury, but his profile is typical of this administration.

The most striking aspect of his appointment, now that we know about his firm's deal with Carlyle, is that he convinced the CSX board last year to award him a new contract that includes millions of dollars in severance benefits -- if he leaves the company to "fulfill an appointment to public office." I always thought that those fat CEO contracts were meant to keep talented executives.

So here are a few questions for his confirmation: When did he start to discuss a government position with the Bush White House? When did his deal negotiations with Carlyle begin? Why did he ask for special severance benefits if he accepted a government appointment? And why did CSX essentially pay him to leave? Exactly how does that benefit the company's stockholders?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 19, 2002, 15:01   #3
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 12:55
No, doesn't do it for me. Sorry.
Old December 19, 2002, 15:10   #4
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 06:55
That made me go Hmmm, but mostly in a "What the hell is Che talking about" kind of way
Old December 19, 2002, 15:16   #5
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 05:55
Arsenio Hall comes on the Jay Leno show and acts like he is still the host of his own show. I think he really misses it
Old December 19, 2002, 15:17   #6
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 14:55
I'm beginning to understand why you put this in your sig
Quote:
"Corporations plus government equals fascism." -- Benito Mussolini
A bribed administration which has so many ties with big business, promotes war, and destroys liberties for the sake of paranoia... hmmm, I guess the puzzle is almost complete.
Old December 19, 2002, 16:20   #7
Adam Smith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

CSX sale of its domestic container unit has been in the works for a long time. Flipping through the books on my shelf I see that CSX's rail assets alone are worth over $14 bil, not to mention their other assets such as real estate, trucking, port facilities, and domestic barge operations. $300 mil is barely two percent of the total. That's a pimple on a gnat's ass. Salon can try all they want, but there is no story here.
Old December 19, 2002, 16:22   #8
Timexwatch
King

I only skimmed, but was the Trilateral Commission mentioned?
Old December 19, 2002, 16:27   #9
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

wow dude i must be ... it kinda made me

but well thats cos i always
i know i am of this topic
Old December 19, 2002, 19:02   #10
Comrade Chris
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Chieftain

hmmmm?
Old December 19, 2002, 19:06   #11
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

SNAP

Last edited by Zylka; December 19, 2002 at 22:19.
Old December 19, 2002, 21:16   #12
Adam Smith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Lighten up dude. That was uncalled for.
Old December 19, 2002, 21:25   #13
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka
Like why you're still around after a lengthy "I'm leaving" thread. Also, I wonder at how your leftist rantings can be taken seriously considering you live off welfare?
One, I never wrote a lenghty I'm leaving thread. Once I said I had to spend more time looking for work, and I found a job. That was about a year and a half ago. I also mentioned I needed to spend more time with my GF about a year ago, since she had no friends or social life down here, now she does and I can spend more time here.

Two, why should my leftists beliefs be any less valid because I'm a victim of capitalism and forced to rely on the state for sustenence.

Three, you're still an idjit even if you are kidding.
Old December 19, 2002, 22:18   #14
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Wow. I didn't know I had that in me. Sorry, I just resent everything now, that was ridiculous
Old December 20, 2002, 01:46   #15
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
leftist rantings can be taken seriously considering you live off welfare?