Local Date: November 1, 2010
Chretien's genius is that he knows nothing
http://www.canada.com/calgary/story....-B9BD003D4713}

Quote:
PM's 'genius' lies in not knowing details
Kate Jaimet, with files from Joe Paraskevas, Calgary Herald
Ottawa Citizen

Thursday, December 19, 2002

Prime Minister Jean Chretien's decision to ratify the Kyoto accord was based on a "gut feeling," not detailed knowledge of the international treaty, Environment Minister David Anderson said Wednesday.

"His critics, who frequently denounce this, fail to realize it is one of the signs of his genius that he doesn't want to know too much about certain things," Anderson said in a year-end interview.

"He gets the right gut feeling. And he's got the antenna, which very few people have, the political antenna. He's right on this."

Chretien signed the official ratification papers of the Kyoto accord Monday, after a vote of support in the House of Commons. In a year-end interview Wednesday, Chretien confirmed he considers Kyoto part of his prime ministerial legacy.

"Take Kyoto. I'm very proud of it," Chretien told CTV in the interview to be broadcast Dec. 26. "The Canadian people wanted it. All of you guys told me I was to break my neck. Was it not great?"

Kyoto commits Canada to reducing its annual greenhouse gas emissions by 240 megatonnes by the year 2010 -- emissions that are caused mainly by burning oil, gas and coal.

By going ahead with Kyoto ratification, Chretien faced the wrath of the Alberta government and powerful business groups, who argued the international treaty will make Canadian businesses noncompetitive by increasing the price of energy, and impede investment in oil and and gas development.

But others argued Kyoto would bring an economic surge in the form of new, green technologies, and Anderson said Wednesday that Chretien eventually became impatient with the naysayers.

"He didn't have to have everything proved to the satisfaction of every Alberta doubting CEO whose ingenious mind was dreaming up even more complicated reasons for saying no. He keeps things where they should be," Anderson said. "The prime minister had this view. He moved it forward."

Chretien began to seriously throw his weight behind Kyoto at the World Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg, South Africa, on Sept. 2, when he unexpectedly announced he would ask Parliament to vote on ratification before the end of 2002.

Anderson recalled the moment he knew for sure the prime minister would ratify.

"When we got the real tipoff was when he went to a high school in Ottawa. And he was asked a question: 'Are you going to ratify?' And he said: 'We're going to ratify.' That's the first time.

"It was in a high school with a 17-year-old student. That was about a month after Johannesburg," Anderson said.

The prime minister's resolve caused cabinet ministers to rally around the accord, Anderson recalled.

"Some of the more doubtful ones, I think, recognized that he was no longer patient with the constant hesitation, the constant fine difficulties or minor difficulties that floated up. He just had reached the end of listening to: 'Well, I went to a Chamber of Commerce meeting . . . and I think we should wait, I think we should delay.' You could see that stiffening up," Anderson said.

Although he was not legally obliged to ask for Parliament's assent to ratify the international treaty, Chretien sought agreement in the form of a government motion supporting Kyoto. The motion passed last week, with all Liberal cabinet ministers voting in favour.

How can this guy still be in power...his own cabinet ministers now are bragging about how Chretien doesn't really know anything, or want to know anything about a treaty, just takes a "gut feeling" and carries it all the way through, not really caring what it does to his country?

Even Bush at least pretends to know what's going on, and has a cabinet full of rather intelligent people (Chretien's cabinet is dumber than he is, sadly, or at least act like it when they suck up to him).

It's time to refooooooooooooooooorm
Old December 19, 2002, 17:33   #2
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 12:56
Quote:
others argued Kyoto would bring an economic surge in the form of new, green technologies
Well I sure wish I lived in the same gay surrealist fantasy world aided by the sudden arrival of these technologies! We just have to hum in unison, and green mother spirit will provide earth mana technologies just in time
Old December 19, 2002, 17:37   #3
Evil Knevil
Prince

Local Time: 13:56

That's fucking fantastic! Funniest thing I've heard about ol' droop-face in a long time
Old December 19, 2002, 17:41   #4
Ozz
Chieftain

Re: Chretien's genius is that he knows nothing
Quote:
[SIZE=1] Originally posted by Asher

It's time to refooooooooooooooooorm
Reform died with Manning.

The alliance is a bunch of crooked nitwit PCs under
another name. The NDP a bunch of daft loonies still
in the 1970s. The PCs under Clarke are a bunch
of geniatics.

It is the first right and notice, the last right thing, Chretien will ever do.

I'd vote for Chretien ( as of now), if I didn't get the rest of the liberals with him.

By process of elimination, I must vote for the Blockheads if they ever run in Ontario.
Old December 19, 2002, 17:44   #5
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 06:56
The problem is this "process of elimination" stuff is bullshit.

Most people I know that voted Liberal absolutely f*cking hate Chretien, and are waiting for him to die or retire so someone else can take over.

The system must be refooooooooooooormed, and I really don't care to hear the next 100 posts from the Liberal fanboys who talk about how everyone else is worse.

Your own environment minister just admitted Chretien doesn't know a damned thing about Kyoto. Which is amazing to me, since he funded all those ads saying what a great thing it is and told all of Canada that it won't hurt our economy.

He lives in a dreamworld where new technologies spring up once Kyoto is passed (and only if Kyoto is passed, mind you) and these technologies will reduce our pollution magically without touching the economy. Hell, it'll help our economy since all the new environment-businesses that would spring up.
Old December 19, 2002, 17:44   #6
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 07:56
I do believe that is the first time I've seen a person holding a Cabinet level position say that thier boss was a moron and that the country should be proud of it.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old December 19, 2002, 17:57   #7
Ozz
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
The problem is this "process of elimination" stuff is bullshit.
The Blockheads are the BLOCK QUEBECOIS.

No wonder the liberals stay in power, the oppostion
from Alberta on Kyoto just oozes oil money, we know
whose payroll Ralph (the drunken lout) is on.
Old December 19, 2002, 18:01   #8
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozz
The Blockheads are the BLOCK QUEBECOIS.
Very good. Now try explaining what that has to do with anything?
I don't care about who you would vote for in Ontario in some hypothetical situation. Really, I don't. That's not what I was talking about. Almost every person who ever voted Liberal uses the excuse of process of elimination, since they think everyone else is worse. That's what I was talking about...not a fantasy situation where a Quebec separatist party ran in Ontario and you'd vote for them (which, by the way, discounts all of your posts by default now )

Quote:
from Alberta on Kyoto just oozes oil money, we know
whose payroll Ralph (the drunken lout) is on.

You see, you're the problem with Canada. You don't care about people's ideas or how they run the country, you just throw around names like "drunken lout" and insist he's on the oil companies payroll ( ) because you know if you dealt with the real issues, it'd be a much different story...

Every month this country gets worse. Chretien has blunder after blunder and his support doesn't waver a bit in the country.

I've only got about two and a half years left here, it's you guys that have to deal with the ramifications of the blunders. Are all Canadians masochists?
Old December 19, 2002, 18:02   #9
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozz
from Alberta on Kyoto just oozes oil money.
Wouldn't you rather a party who's head actually knew what was going on?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old December 19, 2002, 18:13   #10
Zylka
King

Quote:

You see, you're the problem with Canada.
I usually come to the same degree of assumption with minimal effort - there are subtle clues to pick out your worthless leftist canuck! In this case, his user name "Ozz" was more than enough to have me laughing at any of his mangled opinions put forth

BTW - The Blockheads are the BLOCK QUEBECOIS ROCK ON
Old December 19, 2002, 18:15   #11
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I love you Zylka.
Old December 19, 2002, 18:18   #12
Zylka
King

Well you're one of few this season, HAPPY HOLIDAYS INDEED!!!#@!q
Old December 19, 2002, 19:21   #13
Ozz
Chieftain

Quote:
I've only got about two and a half years left here, it's you guys that have to deal with the ramifications of the blunders. Are all Canadians masochists?
Well it's plain your not a Canadian, Are you going
to sponge off us for another 2.5 years. What ****'n
leach.

Zylka, What's with you, don't like the way I post to
yer bum buddy Asser?. Zylka, what the F**k is that
Russian for Asswipe or what.
Old December 19, 2002, 19:29   #14
Zylka
King

Well said, Liberal! Yer time ta ****'n rock ON Buddy:
Dont need no high school education!!! OZZY OZZY
Old December 19, 2002, 19:33   #15
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

My family has more than paid for my education in this country through the insane income taxes, so you can keep your "leech" comments to yourself in the future.

If you wanna get really technical, it's the people who make less than $30K/year that leech off the country. But it's not fun to live in the real world where we must be politically correct.
Old December 19, 2002, 19:54   #16
Switch
Prince

As left as I am, we definitely need to start voting a little more to the right. He's been in there too long, and we're getting stagnation, ie corruption. Our government's like a water filter.....needs to be replaced every so often .

And Ozz.....don't use comebacks like that, it only incriminates you more.
Old December 19, 2002, 20:04   #17
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

-0.002/10

Come on Ashie, don't always post subjects on the same old topics. "Microsoft this, Kyoto that". Grace us with some originality.
Old December 19, 2002, 20:26   #18
Ozz
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Switch
And Ozz.....don't use comebacks like that, it only incriminates you more.
Bite Me, Bonehead
Old December 19, 2002, 20:33   #19
Ozz
Chieftain

Quote:
My family has more than paid for my education in this country through the insane income taxes, so you can keep your "leech" comments to yourself in the future.

If you wanna get really technical, it's the people who make less than $30K/year that leech off the country. But it's not fun to live in the real world where we must be politically correct.
No they havn't, they're here to leach off our medical and
education systems until their kids grow up. Then off to
the states right? In the meantime, milk it for for every
dollar it's worth, and leave the frickn't mess for someone else to clean up.

Go home, Asser
Old December 19, 2002, 20:37   #20
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:56
NDP!
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 19, 2002, 20:44   #21
Zylka
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozz

No they havn't, they're here to leach off our medical and
education systems until their kids grow up. Then off to
the states right? In the meantime, milk it for for every
dollar it's worth, and leave the frickn't mess for someone else to clean up.

Go home, Asser
Oh goodie, just what the f*ck were you hit in the head with? IT'S THE AMERICANS FAULT THAR STEALIN ALL OF THE FRESH GOODIES OUR HEALTH CARE HAS 2 OFFER BONEHD!!! Looks like anther poor soul joins my list with Osweld of people who make me ashamed to be Canadian. Oh dear!
Old December 19, 2002, 20:45   #22
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 20:56

I thought this would be a typical Asher rant, but that story is hilarious. I can't wait to see how the Libs try to deal with this one.
Old December 19, 2002, 21:58   #23
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
-0.002/10

Come on Ashie, don't always post subjects on the same old topics. "Microsoft this, Kyoto that". Grace us with some originality.
I don't need originality, I need persistency.

And damnit, I think Canadians have a right to know how stupid their leader is.

PS: MS rules -- They gave me a pass for two to see LOTR: The Two Towers absolutely free because I was playing Rallisport Challenge at the Xbox Kiosk at the mall today. My brother won an 8MB memory card keychain for free too!

Gimmie an M! Gimmie an I! Gimmie a C! Gimmie a R! Gimmie an O! Gimmie a S! Gimmie an O! Gimmie an F! Gimmie a T! Bill Gates! BILL GATES! WOOOOOOOOOO!
Old December 20, 2002, 03:09   #24
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 20:56
Quote:
Ya mean like university students.
Old December 20, 2002, 03:13   #25
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai
Ya mean like university students.
I'm still living at home and going to school, I don't count until I move out and make something of myself.

If I could afford it I'd go to a US college and pay the skyhigh rates for out-of-state students, but it doesn't make sense for me to do that.

It looks like my whole family's going to be moving pretty soon anyway, my dad's company is cutting back investment in Canadian oil so he's off to Australia in a couple years after this project wraps up.

So, in summary, Canadians only have themselves to blame for people leaving the country with the way they run things. Especially people who live in Alberta.

They can cry, cry, cry all they want about all those nasty Albertans leaching when they leave the country, but it's just sour grapes on behalf of an ungrateful country. And Tingkai, don't even start with your big speech about how I'm ungrateful -- I'm a dual damnit, I'm grateful for both but retain the right to choose which to live in with ease. I've made my choice. Chretien made it damn easy.
Old December 20, 2002, 04:52   #26
Fve Crathva
Warlord

Local Time: 05:56
I wonder if we'd get a bias towards competence if people voted for the best MP for their riding, or if it would completely mess up the system (or if it's just another of those ridiculous fantasies I keep having).
Old December 20, 2002, 05:43   #27
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:56
Quote:
It looks like my whole family's going to be moving pretty soon anyway, my dad's company is cutting back investment in Canadian oil so he's off to Australia in a couple years after this project wraps up.
Old December 20, 2002, 11:08   #28
Ozz
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka

Oh goodie, just what the f*ck were you hit in the head with? IT'S THE AMERICANS FAULT THAR STEALIN ALL OF THE FRESH GOODIES OUR HEALTH CARE HAS 2 OFFER BONEHD!!! Looks like anther poor soul joins my list with Osweld of people who make me ashamed to be Canadian. Oh dear!
Zylka, Are you trolling or are you just insane. Your posts
make no point, not satire, their just nonsense.

Try making a point, perferably by stickin' yer head in a
pencil sharpener. :P
Old December 20, 2002, 11:17   #29
Ozz
Chieftain

Quote:

They can cry, cry, cry all they want about all those nasty Albertans leaching when they leave the country, but it's just sour grapes on behalf of an ungrateful country. And Tingkai, don't even start with your big speech about how I'm ungrateful -- I'm a dual damnit, I'm grateful for both but retain the right to choose which to live in with ease. I've made my choice. Chretien made it damn easy.
Nobody is going to miss you, go poison austrailia.
Why should Canada be grateful? Cause you pumped
a bunch of crude oil out of the ground, made a big
mess of money and left a big mess behind?

Chretien does keep it easy, We're the only country
stupid enough to allow dual citizenship.
Old December 20, 2002, 19:25   #30
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 14:56
This story is hilarious !
Chretien, Bush, Chirac, Schröder (and many more)... Is it me or all Presidents / Prime ministers try to be the biggest ignorant jackass these times ?