View Poll Results: Land of the FREE! .......or is it?
The United States is so far from becoming a dictatorship that even if there was a world-wide dictatorial revolution the US would still be the shining beacon of democracy it is! 10 17.24%
The United States is better than most when it comes to dictatorial policies. 3 5.17%
The United States is about as far away from becoming a dictatorship as most democratic western nations. 6 10.34%
The United States is is a bit closer to dictatorship than other western, democratic nations. 15 25.86%
The United States is disturbingly close to becoming a dictatorship. 16 27.59%
The United States is ALREADY a dictatorship! 8 13.79%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 20, 2002, 06:46   #31
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 12:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
"

(Also, ming read the posts. Thats not the SOLE reason...)"

It's not a valid reason at all.
Ad Hominem....

Quote:
Correct, but a dictatorship can not be voted out
Dictatorships have also been voted out before as well....

Quote:
thus another way showing how GWB is not absolute.
But its becoming absolute with more and more democrats losing their spines. Thus the reason why I said its BECOMING a dictatorship.

Quote:
If it someone who makes a rediculous thread like you have, you deserve what you get.
Ridiculous is an OPINION. Monkspider apparently likes it. Therefore because it is an opinion, it means you are AGAINST the thread. If you are AGAINST it, that means that you DISAGREE with me. If you DISAGREE with me and you are saying I deserve this, then esentially the following is true:

If I post a thread you are against, you support the use of fallacious statements to kill it.

Quote:
I logged on because I couldn't fall asleep, it's 4:40 AM so I am going to try to crash again....... Ming if you feel like wasting even more time trying to talk sense to this bozo have fun..........
Personal attack, but thats just one of your ever-growing list of debate fallacies. I sense you don't really know how to debate....

But anyway, because its late I suppose it's excusable (considering you are not thinking clearly). See you tomorrow
Old December 20, 2002, 06:57   #32
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 23:58
Tass, have you been taking lessons from Archaic?
Old December 20, 2002, 07:04   #33
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
Tass, have you been taking lessons from Archaic?
Old December 20, 2002, 07:17   #34
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 07:58
Where is the option

"Tass is way too obsessed with this topic and really needs to get some fresh air"
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old December 20, 2002, 07:23   #35
lightblue
Warlord

Local Time: 13:58
It is nowhere near a dictatorship. It might have certain twinges of an authoritarian government, but they can be removed at the next election, which sort of removes the whole dictatorship thing from the equation.
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old December 20, 2002, 07:24   #36
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
Where is the option

"Tass is way too obsessed with this topic and really needs to get some fresh air"
When was the last time I posted this thread...?

Think about that.

Quote:
which sort of removes the whole dictatorship thing from the equation
*Sigh* It helps to read the thread....
Old December 20, 2002, 08:12   #37
lightblue
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

*Sigh* It helps to read the thread....
You honestly think that Americans will let their rights to vote taken away from them? When that happens there will be a civil war...
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old December 20, 2002, 08:14   #38
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

The Iraqis haven't lost their right to vote either.
Old December 20, 2002, 08:37   #39
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Voting has become so meaningless in the states that most people now don't use their right to vote.

Much more interesting and important issue than this dictatorship thing.

We've got both kinds
Old December 20, 2002, 08:52   #40
red_jon
NationStates
King

If there was only one party but the citizens can vote for representatives within that party is that a dictatorship? (Presuming the Democrats just curled up and died or something).

I'd say it is possible for the US to become a dictatorship - like it is anywhere. I just think one of the main problems is the way the President is treated - all his answers are always prepared for him. We make our Prime Ministers go on live debates with the public until they go grey from stress
Old December 20, 2002, 08:53   #41
MikeH
staff
OTF Moderator

And live debates with the opposition politicians every week!

We've got both kinds
Old December 20, 2002, 08:55   #42
problem_child
Warlord

Corporate interest are ultimately the controling share-holders in both American parties anyway, its abit like the egg-cup game really, except they always pick the one with the bean underneath.

-I.
Old December 20, 2002, 08:58   #43
OneFootInTheGrave
King

UK is much better than US... even though Tony is a new Maggie... Maggie, Major, Tony.... , still something must be wrong

UK has at least three parties + 1 nationalist and some other meaningless mess .

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old December 20, 2002, 08:59   #44
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
If there was only one party but the citizens can vote for representatives within that party is that a dictatorship? (Presuming the Democrats just curled up and died or something).
Well, assuming that whoever was in charge of said ruling party pciked all the candidates, yes. Voting is irrelevant when who you vote for makes no difference.
Old December 20, 2002, 09:00   #45
problem_child
Warlord

except for when they edit the electorate.

-I.
Old December 20, 2002, 09:04   #46
MikeH
staff
OTF Moderator

Quote:

Well, assuming that whoever was in charge of said ruling party pciked all the candidates, yes. Voting is irrelevant when who you vote for makes no difference.
I guess that's why so few people vote in the US, they can't see what difference it'll make to them.

We've got both kinds
Old December 20, 2002, 09:06   #47
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

And rightly so.
Old December 20, 2002, 09:08   #48
problem_child
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
UK is much better than US... even though Tony is a new Maggie... Maggie, Major, Tony.... , still something must be wrong

UK has at least three parties + 1 nationalist and some other meaningless mess .
No, I know you're eing sarcastic but I agree, the nature of 'The West' is like that. That's why people are always complaining about a lack of differences between the parties.

-I.
Old December 20, 2002, 09:15   #49
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 06:58
If the USA is a Dictatorship... Canada is a commiest (sorry for spelling...)
Old December 20, 2002, 10:39   #50
problem_child
Warlord

A new term has to be invented for what the US is, Corporate Republic ala CtoP, or Market State, Lobbitocracy, Commercial Technocracy....

-I.
Old December 20, 2002, 12:30   #51
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
Our government doesn't even come close to what you posted
No, it doesn't, but does the Government actually control the county? I agree the US is quite a leap away from a Dictatorship, but I have seen enough eminent people arguing that corporations have more power in America than the Federal Government. They choose not just what people by, but some (media companies) almost decide what the nation should think. I also heard that something like 90% of Midterm elections are won by the candidate that spends the most money in advertising and campaigning. Since the corporations hold the money, it is quite conceivable that they choose who is elected to a large extent. I voted "The United States is is a bit closer to dictatorship than other western, democratic nations", because although I believe it has a long way to go until it becomes a dictatorship, it is further on that road than most of Western Europe.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old December 20, 2002, 12:51   #52
problem_child
Warlord

Anyway the Electoral Colleges apparently do the actual votin, so its more like a Republic (where only an elite get to vote) then a democracy (where every common joes vote counts)

-I.
Old December 20, 2002, 12:57   #53
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 09:58
WTF? Another one of these threads? The US is not a dictatorship because it has:

1) An elected government
2) Respects Rights

Now you leftists try to use this excuse as to prevent the war against terror (for example stalling progress made against Al Qaeda cells domestically).

I believe some parts of Europe, even Western Europe, are moreso dictator like than the US.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old December 20, 2002, 12:57   #54
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
Let me know when a real dictatorship takes over in the US... Until then, just a troll...
You do realize, that by then it will be too late.

No, the US isn't distubingly close to being a dictatorship. Certainly it has aspects of a police state, and some of our Constitutional rights are have been severely diminished, but we aren't close to becoming a dictatorship.

That isn't to say that the direction we are headed isn't disturbing and that under the right circumstances, we couldn't become one overnight. But we an't fight might bes, only what's actually happening. So stick to the diminishment of our liberties and buy a gun for the day Bush closes down Congress.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 20, 2002, 13:39   #55
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:58
i don't think dictatorship is the right word to use when comparing to other nations. It's our political culture that makes us overexert ourselves, and overstep our bounds, in most cases, and while that may look dictatorial, our nation is clearly a democracy. I would say, however, that other western nations are more democratic than we are, while not being complete democracies themselves, because they have better representation in government. Political parties are much finer in their policy differences, and coallition governments provide that all parties have a chance of having a say in government policies. As long as our two party state exists, and our voting population remains somewhat passive and apathetic, we will be a democratic republic.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old December 20, 2002, 20:45   #56
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
2) Respects Rights
What happened to the rights of those 1000+ Muslim-Ameircans who were arrested after September 11 and haven't been heard from since?
Old December 20, 2002, 20:47   #57
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 09:58
Quote:

What happened to the rights of those 1000+ Muslim-Ameircans who were arrested after September 11 and haven't been heard from since?
Proof. Not assumptions. A lot of them have been released.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old December 20, 2002, 20:48   #58
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Source?
Old December 20, 2002, 20:53   #59
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Oh, and I find it hilarious that you can ask for 'proof, not assumptions', when you make statements like 'you're a communist, therfore you're wrong.'
Old December 20, 2002, 23:01   #60
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 06:58
Eh...

Read the text of the Patriot Act (and for that matter, read news articles of some of the consequences of it) and tell me the US respects rights.

The main trouble with it is that the nation was still panicking after Sept 11 and it was rushed through Congress. Our congresspersons should not panic; that's one of the things they are supposed to be good at in these kinds of instances

And oh yeah, the other trouble is it hasn't been repealed yet (or AFAIK even spoken unkindly of in Congress)

Probably because any speech against the great Patriot Act would get this response:

So, are you saying you're not a Patriot??? Do you not believe how good the USA is!? Don't you trust John Ashcroft!???

(BTW, another poly poster posted something like this this morning or yesterday. If I knew them, I'd credit the inspiration for this to them )

Also, Fez, source please.