Old December 20, 2002, 18:24   #1
swagled
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
AI Bias: Doesn't Build Small Wonders
Maybe I shouldn't say anything... with the AI concentrating on the GWs, I usually get a shot at the smalls. Even pretty good ones like Military Academy and Wall Street.

But still, does anyone else notice this? Can it be balanced with the editor, or is it buried deep in the AI brain?
Old December 20, 2002, 19:03   #2
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 06:00
How to put this one delicately . . .

Great Wonders may only be built once, by one civ. Small wonders are available to every civ that meets the prerequisites. So every civ that builds five banks (5 stock exchanges in PTW) can build its own Wall Street, and every civ with a victorious army can build its own Military Academy, whether or not any other civ has done so.

I hope that didn't completely deflate your sense of accomplishment at nabbing Wall Street before the AIs

Catt
Old December 20, 2002, 19:15   #3
swagled
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:00
Arrgh! The cold truth!
Old December 20, 2002, 22:54   #4
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:00
Heh, you learn something new every day. You'll look back in five years at this and laugh your arse off, trust us.

I remember some of my early games of Civ II, when I was so afraid of unhappiness, I wouldn't allow cities to grow above size 6. Then I realize what those build options below the units are for.

Actually, come to think of it, does anyone know if the AI builds small wonders? I know it builds the FP, but I haven't been able to confirm if it builds any others. Anyone else know any better?
Old December 21, 2002, 00:24   #5
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 05:00
Quote:
Actually, come to think of it, does anyone know if the AI builds small wonders?
Hmm, lets see...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	spot.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	32188  
Old December 21, 2002, 02:44   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 08:00
i'm sorry but

at least now you know
Old December 21, 2002, 09:00   #7
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 14:00
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old December 22, 2002, 15:50   #8
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 09:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov
Heh, you learn something new every day. You'll look back in five years at this and laugh your arse off, trust us.

I remember some of my early games of Civ II, when I was so afraid of unhappiness, I wouldn't allow cities to grow above size 6. Then I realize what those build options below the units are for.

Actually, come to think of it, does anyone know if the AI builds small wonders? I know it builds the FP, but I haven't been able to confirm if it builds any others. Anyone else know any better?
Of course the AI builds wonders, both great and small, although I have never seen a Military Academy or Heroic Epic built by the AI, I am positive that they do build them. I have personally witnessed the AI's build the Intelligence Agency (as shown by Pyrodrew), Iron Works, Apollo Program, and SDI. (truly maddening during a nuke war) I think I am forgetting one or two but this should answer your question in general.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old December 22, 2002, 18:59   #9
Thoth
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber

Of course the AI builds wonders, both great and small, although I have never seen a Military Academy or Heroic Epic built by the AI,

I've seen both of these built in AI cities.
Old December 22, 2002, 20:10   #10
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

It is really not all that uncommon for the AI to build small wonders. I'm sure the preference for it is on teh Large wonders though.
Old December 23, 2002, 02:45   #11
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov

I can top ur embarrassment. Civ I, I was about 10 - 12(?) years old. I thought the Militia, which I thought was Indians since crappy VGA graphic made it look like they had feathers on their head and bows on their hand was so cool. I didnt know whether civilopedia or build option existed. I built one city using first settler and just kept pumping "indians". Of course when i conquered cities, they would produce phalnaxes. At one point I actually thought bringing over my indian units across the sea to fight a war would be a better idea over using the musketeer units that was being produced in captured cities... God I really didnt know how to play the game back then.....

I should have caught on that I was doing something wrong when I kept getting messages that the Indians (the civ) have built another spaceship part while I was still producing Indian units..
Old December 25, 2002, 15:25   #12
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:00
At least you werent protecting your cities by putting warriors in tiles all around them. Ahh... Being 10 years old.

I remember my first encounter with Knights(or whatever they were called)... Until then I was sure the Legions are the best unit possible.
Old December 26, 2002, 01:28   #13
Mellian
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Queen

I remembered when it took until Civ 2 before i learn the concept of Settler rushing to build a lot of cities quickly.... until then, always end up have one to three cities before being surrounded and harrass by the comps...and the only way to expand afterwards was war war war.

I also remember having my settlers or whatever improving all the terrains i see on my small continent...until i realize they only work under city radiouses... before i did, i was fighting an ever lasting war against the barbarians, to prevent them from pillaging them.... (Civ 1) what annoyed me the most about civ 1 is the unit/city limits. Same with Civ2

first played civ1 at age of 12 to 13 years of age...and was an illegal copy, so had trial and error versus the silly copyright thing until i got a real game going

oh oh oh, my first nuclear war with the Romans was awesome too didn't like the stalemate in the frontlines, at a 2-3 tiles chokepoint....so i built enough nukes (took heck of a long time too) to nuke their units (and some of mines by accident) at the frontlines, and then their cities. Rome was a nuclear wasteland when i conquered them ...of course, so was my capital and one or two other of my cities near their territory. Now, i am still waiting for my first nuclear war in civ3.........

-Mellian

Last edited by Mellian; December 26, 2002 at 01:34.
Old December 26, 2002, 03:33   #14
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

this thread became a reminiscing thread.

Mellian triggered another memory. Those stupid check-to-see-if-you-bought-the-game quizzes. I had to memorize them since i didnt have the manual.

And civ one was where I fell in love with aztecs. Their earth starting location was awesome, you could restart until teochilatuan would start with two oasis. Then I learned about isolationism the hard way when I relized Germans have settled on canada once i finally broke thru american empire. They had advanced bombers when i was using cannons. That was a loooooooooong and most challenging game to win to date.