View Poll Results: How do violent video games affect children?
They have a significan negative impact 2 5.41%
They have a slight negative impact 11 29.73%
They have no impact at all 13 35.14%
They have a positive impact 9 24.32%
They make children crave bananas 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 22, 2002, 17:19   #31
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 13:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Cain though was obviously influenced by videogames when he killed Abel. The travesty of videogame violence has gone on too long to be ignored, abolish videogames like our freinds, the forward looking Greeks, and we will acheive Utiopia, marx culdn't do it, but paranoid soccer mom will!
Old December 22, 2002, 17:28   #32
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 07:04
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
I'd say it has little negative impact, but only for few people. It doesn't change much for the general player, but there's still a few people out there, who has the risk to "learn" from games...

But for me, it had no impact... but that might be because I don't play many violence games... I play SimCity type games, but I haven't grown up to became mayor (Is that the right word?) for a city yet

Agree! The most voilent video game I have are 007 & MK.

Quote:
Originally posted by Odin
Video Games are good for children because it builds thier eye-hand coordination. I think kids can play violent games if the storyline gives a realistic reason for the violence. Wolfenstien 3-D, the origional 1st person shooter has you as a POW in Nazi prison. you have a reason to shoot those soldiers. In Grand theft Auto you are killing for the fun of it and for criminal reasons, thats why that game is bad.
I also agree with that! The only good reason to kill someone (in games AND real life,) if your in-danger, or a soldier...
Old December 22, 2002, 19:11   #33
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Local Time: 13:04
I don't think violent videogames affect children, at least not directly. But they do have an impact when it comes to accepted social behaviour.I believe there's a positive correlation between the general accepted attitude about violence and violent videogames.

Because more violence is portrayed in videogames, TV, movies it becomes easier to accept violence as an accepted norm. If you combine interactive (violent) videogames with a general media that doesn't have any quarrels showing violent content you end with up a potent mix.
Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer
Old December 23, 2002, 00:37   #34
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:04
actually, I have a few friends that I have met because of a very violent video game, counter-strike... most of them live in the Chicago area, and we congregate at various locations and have LAN parties. If anything, videogames, especially multiplayer games, improve hand-eye coordination, increase strategic and problem solving skills, and in online games, provide people with new social networks.

dissident, when fez and I agree, you know you're wrong