Old November 23, 2003, 23:46   #151
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 08:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Welll...Did Chrisius get caught in a Roman-Celtic crossfire??
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old November 25, 2003, 22:46   #152
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Local Time: 22:06
Where is Chrisius?
In Japanese he would be called the "Daikokubashira" which proverbially means the main support pillar.

I hope he doesn't become like the Indikoi: legendary powerful creatures lost to the dust of despair and rot.
Old November 29, 2003, 20:27   #153
Kaos XIII
Warlord

I think it's pretty obvious what happened to Chris, or Chrisius.

DUDE GOT CONQUEST!!!

We will have to await until he gets all burned out, before we hear from him again. It may take weeks.
Old November 29, 2003, 21:49   #154
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 13:06
Conquests is fun, but it inspired me to write more than it inspired me to sit on my arse all day playing it (wait and see).

Anyways.... here's hoping that he returns, my little story on the nominations thread is largely dedicated to his absence (and DC's) , since I suppose there are a few others of us left, however you really notice Chrisus being gone, and it gets awfully lonely without him.

And I haven't seen vovan in a coupla days either, but I'm not too worried about him.
Old December 1, 2003, 01:02   #155
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 07:06
dp... how did that happen?
Spore page
Old December 1, 2003, 01:03   #156
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Awww, you didn't miss me, SKI?

Hehe, I guess you know I will always be back, and then again, I haven't had the pleasure of writing for this forum like forever, so there is no use missing me any way.

Mmmm... Conquests...

Still don't have my beta tester's version, but as soon as I get it, it's gonna be fun.

Oh, and of course, I hope to hear from Chris some time soon. It's been a while since we heard from the Free Celtica, and the evil romans.
Spore page
Old December 18, 2003, 13:30   #157
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 14:06
More to come soon, Ive been working 7 days a week for the last month and a half so Ive been very tired.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old December 19, 2003, 04:20   #158
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Good news, yeah work sure can get in the way of a good story sometimes.
Old December 23, 2003, 09:10   #159
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
More to come soon, Ive been working 7 days a week for the last month and a half so Ive been very tired.

Was worried you had left us hanging. Glad to hear from you.
Old January 5, 2004, 09:04   #160
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

PART 14 Inconsoleable Anguish (A nation mourns)

"He's gone!!" announced Kyle Donavon to the people ammassed outside the Entremont City Hospital.

A huge crowd of reporters and well wishers all jostling for posistion, waiting for news of their leaders status had been standing in all weathers for days on end, outside the hospital.

There was only stunned scilence................................... followed by cries of anguish and grief, some loud some quieter!!

Kyle too had tears welling up in his eyes,"Today at 9.30 AM our Great Cheiftan and first Prime Minister of a "Free Celtica!", and our beloved Brother!! Bryn Murdoch passed from this life. May the Gods and his ancestors take care of his soul, and may he be reunited with his dearly loved son Connel!!".

With that Kyle turned and left the crowds to their own grief and went back into the hospital to mourn for his Chieftan.
.................................................. .................................................. .............................

Bryn had never managed to shake off the horror and shock of what had been discovered on the island of Little Celtica. He had personally felt deep remorse and guilt for the crimes of the Communists, thinking that if only he had acted sooner!

Friends and trusted colleagues, all who had come to know and love the great man tried in vain to console him, but to no avail. The loss of his Son had been a heavy burden for him but all this had proved far too much for the man to carry.

He had been the nations salvation, and they had voted overwhelmingly to elect him as their head of state!! not one man, woman or child alive in Celtica believed for a minute that what had happened was Bryn's fault, in any way. Many knew only too well that he was truly their saviour, but none of this could change bryn's heart, it was broken!

He had slipped slowly into illness and deep depression, eating little or nothing at times, weeping uncontrollably for hours on end, most nights, hardly ever sleeping. One night in dream like state he had slipped out of the palace chambers, past the guards and wandered into the gardens wearing only a nightshirt. He was found by a servant in a terrible state, soaking wet through and cold to the bones from the howling wind.

Two weeks later he had succumed to pheumonia and passed away quietly in the cities new hospital, which he had officially opened only the month before.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................

Over the next week the nation as a whole came to standstill, all were united in mourning. Tributes flooded in from all the leaders of the world, even Julius Ceasar had the audacity to send his condolences!

This made Kyles blood boil with anger," How dare that EVIL BAST@RD!! send his condolences!! He's responsible for this!! "

"Please Brother! calm yourself!" said Scratch, " you are now in Bryn's shoes! he chose you as his vice prime minister! he trusted you with all his heart and you must not let him down!"

"I know, I'm sorry , please forgive me brother, I miss him so much!" said Kyle weeping uncontrollably now.

Scratch put his arms around Kyle and tried to comfort him," Kyle my brother, Bryn loved you as one of his own Sons. I know this to be true, it is up to you now to see that his soul is set free and to send him to the gods of your people, as though he were youre own father!"

A knock came at the door to Kyles private chamber, he steeled himself and dried his eyes. There was much to be done!" come in!" said Kyle.

"Brother, I have just this minute arrived, and I wanted to come and see you straight away!" said Brother Liam O'brien. He had been overseeing the demolition and rebuilding projects being undertaken on Little Celtica, and was in effect the govenor of the island."Please I hope you do not mind the intrusion!"

"Of course not my brother! it is good to see you again Liam!" answered Kyle."Please you can both help me with arrangements?"

.................................................. .................................................. .............................

The body of Bryn Murdoch was layed in state at Entremonts ancient cathedral for two weeks, giving much of the population a chance to pay their respects to theie much loved leader. During this time all the preparations for his funeral had been finalised.

It was time and the coffin was lain apon a gun carriage by Kyle, Liam, Scratch and Brother Robert Jones, Bryn's four most trusted friends. A twenty one gun salute sounded and the procession made its way through the avenues of the capitol, a "Free Celtica" flag draped over the coffin.

Millions of people turned out lining the whole four mile route, thousands upon thousands of floral tributes were lain upon the road in front of the oncoming procession. Some people were crying quite heavily, most were silent, motionless, stunned by the events that were unfolding in front of their eyes.

Prayers were said by the nations church leaders, at the senotaph in the very centre of the city, opposite the newly built parliament buildings, and then Kyle addressed the crowds.

"Brothers it is with a heavy heart that I have to speak to you all today. Bryn Murdoch was a second father to me, and a second father to this nation, through his vision and strength we who are alive today have been set free. Free from the tyranny that once darkened all our lives!! We as a nation owe much to this man, more than could ever be repaid with wealth and riches! we owe him our love!"

"I know that you all did truly love this man, and I know that he knew this, and I want you all to take solace from this fact, dry your eyes and fear not for the future. Because of this mans selfless sacrifice, and that of a great many who believed his vision, we have got a future!! I will leave the prayers and those things to those who pray, for I now shall leave this place and take our leader to be offered to his Gods at Newbridge, where his son's funeral took place previously, and in the tradition of all the former ancient Kings of Celtica!!"

The people knew that Bryn was not a King in the same way as the Kings of old, but they all felt that this was indeed most fitting for one so noble as Bryn Murdoch!!

.................................................. .................................................. .....................................

Bryn's fight for freedom was over now! he was now reunited with his son Connel and his ancestors. His soul could rest now, peacefully!

The fight for freedom is perhaps not complete for the people of Celtica yet, the absense of a representative from the Roman people at Bryn's funeral, perhaps the most telling of details!

THE END!

Last edited by ChrisiusMaximus; January 5, 2004 at 09:23.
Old January 5, 2004, 09:12   #161
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Before the comments come in I want to say a few words

I hope this ending is liked by you all but if it is not then firstly my apologies, but understand this please.

This story was written by me, it has had my heart poured into it, and has mirrored in some ways events that have befell me over the period it has taken to write.

I do not expect or desire that evaryone likes and applauds my story, but ask for your understanding.

It has at times been very difficult to write, and has been a labour of love.

Also I must point out that every story does not have a happy ending, and for those who would want more it is open ended enough for a future sequel, if and but etc etc.

Finnally thanks for reading, and supporting me throughout this exercise

Regards Chris
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old January 5, 2004, 23:56   #162
PLATO
Emperor

Bravo!

I actually felt the pain of his passing. A truly real character in a very moving story.

Excellent Chris...just excellent!
Old January 5, 2004, 23:58   #163
unscratchedfoot
Prince

No big war with the Romans.

Old January 6, 2004, 02:37   #164
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Thank you for your work, and this great story.

I agree with Plato, and I feel for unscratchedfoot...

Bloody Great Work

The beer is on me, drink up...
Old January 10, 2004, 17:34   #165
vovan
Emperor

When I opened the thread, I'd expected something much different.

Sorry I missed the ending and the comments are much belated.... It seems I'm always away when you post.

Any way, here's what I think:

I like the ending, and, indeed, the whole story. I think this one is one of the greatest examples of quality. You never cease to amaze me, Chris, with the depth of development of the characters, and the plot-line. I, like PLATO, almost felt the passing of Bryn personally. On these forums, your stories are the only ones that can build up the emotion so high. None of the readers probably cried at the climax of the story, but I can tell you: you brought them awfully close.

Amazing effort, Chris. This is an instant classic.
Spore page
Old January 11, 2004, 17:54   #166
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Thank you for your comments they are most appreciated

Sorry about the big war not happening Scratch.

It was hard work to write but enjoyable, I think I will take a short break from writing before starting out on another journey

You know I posted the final chapter over at CFC on the same day as here and as yet not one response

Dont think I will bother posting there again.
Old January 16, 2004, 00:39   #167
Kaos XIII
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by unscratchedfoot
No big war with the Romans.
Hmm, I also expected a big bloody battle, with Kyle in charge now.

Nonetheless, it's a good ending with the procession down the capital's streets and Kyle's words to the poeple.

I would love to read a sequel, (the deal with the Romans ). But maybe it's better left to the reader's imagination.

Old January 16, 2004, 21:54   #168
Easthaven I
Prince

Great job, Chrisius! :b Very glad you finished. And you sure have ended it with the same amount of quality and skill as the rest of the story. I hope I'll be able to do the same with mine sooner or later. The ending sure was not expected by me.

Very consistent writing, bro. I WILL be waiting for a sequel, I got too attached to the characters, plot, and CELTICA to leave it as just a memory now! Man, I gotta say, your strongest point was your character development. The reader really does get attached to Bryn.

Great work
Old January 17, 2004, 06:18   #169
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Thanks Kaos I appreciate your comments when are you going to write again for your fans ?
Old January 17, 2004, 06:30   #170
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Easthaven, thank you for your kind words, it was at times difficult to write and Im so glad that you can see what I was trying to achieve, especially with Bryn's character.

Although when I started researching etc for this story I had not intended it to be as deep, but events in real life sort of took over.

I lost my father who died of stomach cancer last january, and I think those emotions stem from my sense of grief. I was very close to "Fred" my Dad, we worked together for 20 years as partners, in the building trade. I think a lot of my Dad's qualities were in Bryn's character.

Regards Chris
Old February 5, 2004, 13:55   #171
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Well it seems this little beast has won the contest, thanks very much to everyone who has expressed their support and given advice at times throughout the course of writing this one.

Im taking a break from writing myself but do continue to enjoy all the stories here, I love this forum

Once again thanks to all for reading
Old June 14, 2004, 22:19   #172
vovan
Emperor

This baby deserves a hearty bump.
Spore page
Old June 17, 2004, 23:41   #173
PLATO
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vovan
Indeed!

...and a sequel too!
Old March 16, 2006, 07:04   #174
Paddy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by vovan
Indeed, and to be read again

Thanks Chris