Old January 31, 2003, 05:19   #61
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 06:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
my poor thread will never reach 500 posts . Yes it will, even if I'm the only person posting in it, I'll keep posting every movie I see. I have accomplished many Apolyton milestones, but never a 500 post thread .

Ok a movie I finally seen on cable recently- HBO to be specific. Men of Honor. I never even heard of this movie when it hit theatres. It's going to have a small audience anyways because of its subject matter. As a navy guy I loved it . Rather predictabe plot, but good performances by all. Rober De Niro had his usual good performance. And Cuba Gooding jr. was excellent as well. In fact I'm really starting to like this guy. I hope he has a long successful career.

Anyways this is about the navy in the late 40's. It also goes into the 50's and 60's too, but it doesn't get specific about the dates. It's basically about a poor black boy who grew up on a farm. His dad tells him not to end up like him. So he joins the navy and wants to become a diver. A diver is a big deal in the navy, many probably won't understand his drive. Obviously they aren't elite like the seal team. But they are a select group of people. They have to have a decent variety of knowledge as the movie shows. From welding to turning wrenches. His goal is to become a master diver (rank of master chief petty officer). He of course has several obsticles on the way. Mainly because the navy as with all the services used to be segregated. Anyways the writing is preditable, but it wasn't bad. It was decent enough to carry the movie. And superb acting all around. The directing was also good.

Last edited by Dis; January 31, 2003 at 05:30.
Old January 31, 2003, 07:49   #62
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 15:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I saw The Insider on TV yesterday.

It's a movie based on a true story, apparently. A tobacco scientist, Russel Crowe, gets laid off. 60 Minutes journalist Al Pacino "bumps" into him and decides to make a story about the inside info he has. Namely that, contrary to what the corporate bosses said under oath, they did know nicotine was addictive and bad for your health. Psychological warfare ensues.

I liked it, although I kind of felt it was rather standard Oscar material rather than something really inspiring, original and new. Even though it's a true story (partly anyway) the plot was fairly predictable. But oh well, it involved some good acting and plenty of suspense.

Al Pacino somehow reminded me of his part in Glengarry Glen Ross a lot. Their motives and morals are quite different, but their drive is very similar, I thought.