View Poll Results: Is Sid pissed off?
YES! He's absolutely berserk that IG stole his baby and turned it into crud, sold crud with his name on it, and so am I!!! 8 23.53%
Yes, he's a bit miffed that civ3 has his name on it but is below his standards. 2 5.88%
He couldn't really care less and has no opinion at all. 9 26.47%
No, he's actually pleased that so many people like civ3 even under circumstances and feels good about his name on the front. 9 26.47%
NO! He's absolutely thrilled that it was such a cool game his name is on even without him and plays it all the time. 1 2.94%
Bananas: he's glad to have this horrible episode behind him and not have to work on a game he designed years ago so he can play golf until RoN comes out. 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 25, 2002, 23:06   #1
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 14:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sid's state of mind
Does anyone think Sid is bitter about having his name on a game like civ3 that, lets face it, no matter how much I love is actually dumbed down and not all that excellent as it could have been under his leadership?

I mean he started Firaxis so he could do stuff his way and Infogrumps basically shafted him. And Reynolds.
Old December 25, 2002, 23:25   #2
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 06:14
I'm sure his wife loves it. She's loving it all the way to the bank.
Old December 25, 2002, 23:26   #3
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 13:14
How could Sid not be happy about having "Sid Meier's..." filling the store shelves?

Do It Ourselves
Old December 25, 2002, 23:27   #4
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Concidering how IG is treating the Firaxis fans with all the rushing and bad translating and bad patching and all, maybe she won't be loving for so long....
Old December 25, 2002, 23:29   #5
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 09:14
I doubt he cares anymore...

See ya on the 18th hole Sid.
Old December 25, 2002, 23:29   #6
aahz_capone
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
How could Sid not be happy about having "Sid Meier's..." filling the store shelves?
Because of shame that what's in the box doesn't have the quality his name should have? Because all the gamemags are (unfortunately) giving bad reviews and ruining his rep?
Old December 25, 2002, 23:32   #7
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by aahz_capone

Because of shame that what's in the box doesn't have the quality his name should have? Because all the gamemags are (unfortunately) giving bad reviews and ruining his rep?
My point was, he's got his name plastered all over the place, and his wallet full of money. You think anything else matters? If it did, Civ3 wouldn't be what it is. (he is a very influencial person in the gaming industry, I don't buy that he was pushed around by the publisher at all)

Do It Ourselves
Old December 25, 2002, 23:32   #8
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 08:14
Well, Sid is looking toward old game titles right now (X-COM presumably). Bringing one of those games back should more than make up for any problem people have with Civ3.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old December 25, 2002, 23:56   #9
aahz_capone
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld

My point was, he's got his name plastered all over the place, and his wallet full of money. You think anything else matters? If it did, Civ3 wouldn't be what it is. (he is a very influencial person in the gaming industry, I don't buy that he was pushed around by the publisher at all)
Oh, I get you now. Yes, I partly agree that the money bit is good and publicity is always good.

However I can't get my head around that fact that Sid gave his name to this thing (after Firaxis faught in court with Microprose for his name) and then walked out. Reynolds too. I guess that they wouldn't be happy that it's not as deep as say SMAC or even civ2 in some repects (but not others). I guess there's onyl one way to find this all out:

Sid, Reynolds, if you guys are listening we'd love to here from you!!!
Old December 26, 2002, 00:08   #10
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
However I can't get my head around that fact that Sid gave his name to this thing (after Firaxis faught in court with Microprose for his name) and then walked out.
You're thinking of Activision, not Firaxis.

Activision is what created the Abomination known as Call to Power.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old December 26, 2002, 00:21   #11
aahz_capone
Prince

oh yeah.... oops.
Old December 26, 2002, 00:27   #12
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:14
No, Sid doesn't care about deep games much. He likes to make fun games. If a fun game happens to be deep, so much the better.

As for game reviewers, yeah right. Look how many of them gave Black and White raving reviews. 'nuff said.
Old December 26, 2002, 01:36   #13
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Sid actually died 6 years ago and the gurus @ firaxis prop him up on sticks for tours / publicity.
Old December 26, 2002, 01:51   #14
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I wonder if Sid secretly has an account here and is posting under an alias ... Anways, is this conjecture based on an interview or anything that Sid said? Or is it just spam?
Old December 26, 2002, 02:18   #15
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
Sid actually died 6 years ago and the gurus @ firaxis prop him up on sticks for tours / publicity.
actually there are mutiple sids. they cloned him thinking more sid to think of great game titles would be an excellent idea but i guess the genetic sample mutated and all the copies are producing horrible games now...

btw apoc love ur new avatar~
Old December 26, 2002, 02:37   #16
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Re: Sid's state of mind
Quote:
I mean he started Firaxis so he could do stuff his way and Infogrumps basically shafted him. And Reynolds.
It's infogreed, get it right
Old December 26, 2002, 03:37   #17
Ned
King

Local Time: 05:14
I hope Sid understands that because of Civ III, I will never buy another game with his name on it.
Old December 26, 2002, 07:30   #18
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 15:14
BTW, it's IGE, not IG.

Well, as for Sid's state of mind, I'm not a shrink, so I can't say it either.
Old December 27, 2002, 04:56   #19
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 05:14
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
WTF does Sid care as long as he has money? Everyone knows BR was the reason those games were good.
Quote:
I hope Sid understands that because of Civ III, I will never buy another game with his name on it.
My thoughts exactly 'cause goddamn Civ 3 sucked.
Old December 27, 2002, 05:37   #20
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
No, Sid doesn't care about deep games much. He likes to make fun games. If a fun game happens to be deep, so much the better.

As for game reviewers, yeah right. Look how many of them gave Black and White raving reviews. 'nuff said.
Yeah. Look at how many of them gave Civ3 raving reviews. Thats DEFINATELY 'nuff said

I've lost all faith in Sid Meier and have therefore replaced my "Gaming Diety of Our Lifetimes" with Brian Reynolds. Him having created Civ2 and BRAC (2 of the top 3 games of all time...) he certainly deserves to be at the top.
Old December 27, 2002, 09:02   #21
WarpStorm
King

I'll be the contrarian on this hate-fest. I like Civ3 and PTW. A lot. Even though neither Sid nor Brian had much to do with it.
Old December 28, 2002, 01:24   #22
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
Yeah. Look at how many of them gave Civ3 raving reviews. Thats DEFINATELY 'nuff said
You got whooshed, didn't you?
Old December 28, 2002, 01:25   #23
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

You got whooshed, didn't you?
Old December 28, 2002, 01:49   #24
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 18:44
I say Civ3 isn't the worst game out there but I say it ain't the best... and I tell ya 4 years ago civ2 was THE BEST GAME out there... that is what a lot of people expected from civ3 and failing to do so is complete failure for the perfectionist we are... and I might point out it was civ that had a huge role to play in making the perfectionist