Old October 30, 2000, 12:02   #1
VoodooChild
Warlord

Local Time: 01:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Learn the fundamentals using x2Blind
Playing one of my first games since returning to SMAX, I elected to go with double blind research. Well the faction I choose isn't very tech happy, so I usually have several turns down time while waiting for the next discovery. Once I gained a tech I would take stock and make any adjustments nessisary.

Playing this way lets me see the impact of a particular building or unit ability across my entire empire. For the first time I was able to have tangible results other than the dry + this - that of the Datalinks. This information will be helpful to me while creating an effective strat in non-blind games. I strongly suggest it for any player on whatever skill level your playing
Old October 30, 2000, 15:38   #2
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 19:50
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I found it incredible boring. But then I tried playing as the Hive and with regular tech I often have problems figuring out what to build when I run out of things I haven't built. I don't like building and managing tons of crawlers though.

Another point is that it made the game so much easier. The computer is not able to research very well without tech stag. With it, they hardly get anything and you get an advantage much earlier.
Old October 30, 2000, 17:08   #3
Fitz
King

Local Time: 17:50
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I've still haven't finished, since I don't get enough time to play, but I'm doing this.

Play each faction on a random world (huge), blind research, and you must use their faction research priorities.

Makes for an interesting game, and certainly gets me familiar with trying to use them in the supposedly 'normal' way for that faction.

I couldn't bring myself to use their natural SE setting at all times though
Old October 30, 2000, 19:50   #4
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Yeah, I understand what you mean Fitz, the SE settings don't necessarily suit a faction's particular strengths, in fact they often make the problems worse. For instance, Santiago likes to go power, however, under normal circumstances that would give her a whopping -3 industry - a huge handicap.

It might be interesting to play each of the factions in turn though, if not a bit long-winded, but I might give that a go....
Old October 30, 2000, 21:15   #5
weird god
Warlord

Local Time: 02:50
what about etch-stagnation? how does it affect the game? by wich rate?

------------------
mankind made alcohol, god made weed.....whom do you trust?

weird god, chief of EUROPA
Old October 31, 2000, 01:08   #6
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Seconded. However....

I have played a total of three games double blind (to the end), and it does indeed force you to improvise. It also makes for a totally different feel to the game - you just don't know what you are going to get. On the other hand, it can be fairly easy to guess at your next discovery - the bar at the top relating to what type of tech it will be - and there is often only one of that tech available.

It can be great fun, though - I had one game in which I just could not get Biogenetics until very late in the century (tech stag). Eventually I managed to steal it - but not before building a few very expensive Pressure Domes. So, yeah, double blind is great fun, but can be immensely frustrating.