Old January 2, 2003, 12:29   #31
reismark
NationStatesApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It is not the UN's place, unfortunately, to ban pop psychobabble, since it is a form of free expression. Leave it to the member nations to decide individually.
Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)
Old January 2, 2003, 12:45   #32
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 08:19
Labour Standard
Pop Singers People also have the right to listen to bad music.
Kevin's Law I have no crime and no prisons, why do i need to increase my police force?
Old January 2, 2003, 13:30   #33
Giovanni Wine
NationStatesNever Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 14:19
Pop singer Ban:
People have full right to listen to crap music if they want to.

Kevin's Law:
In my Kingdom "crime is unknown" and my country is known in the world for its "complete lack of prisons".
Plus the Law is just dumb.

International Labour Standard:
The Kingdom of Wine support the ideas behind this bill.

Saluti
"If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
"In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio
Old January 4, 2003, 07:15   #34
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

GReater Finland is now UN Delegate, would the head of state care to make a statement?
Old January 4, 2003, 12:52   #35
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 16:19
Quote:
GReater Finland is now UN Delegate, would the head of state care to make a statement?
I just heard the news; I'm trying to access NS as I type this (damn it's slow).

Uhm, I think Akiria has been doing a good job thus far and should retake the position, so go and endorse him
Old January 4, 2003, 14:34   #36
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 13:19
My thanks for the support Kass. We've still had no reply to the disappearing endorsements question. If it is possible to telegram [violet] can someone tell me how so I can do it. I haven't found a way yet

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 4, 2003, 16:03   #37
AdamTG02
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Delian LeagueC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

I recommend that all UN members of Apolyton support the current resolution to provide for a basic education of the children of all UN members. The right to learn is a basic human right; nutrients feed our bodies, but only knowledge feeds our minds. This proposal, contrary to some of the accusations made against it, would still leave every member state in control of its own education; it would simply set a baseline which every nation is required to live up to. In the name of universal access to knowledge, I request all nations to support this resolution.

Federal President Adam Gieseler, Democratic States of Admaria
Old January 4, 2003, 16:51   #38
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

The People of Akiria wholeheartedly concur, and will vote yes for the resolution, both as UN Member, and as Delegate tonight if we are reinstated.
Education is a right not a privilege.

Old January 4, 2003, 17:00   #39
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

like I had to think about this one...
Old January 4, 2003, 21:15   #40
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

I am For the education resolution, and I can vote as delegate For it as well, if that's all right with you.
Old January 5, 2003, 01:28   #41
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 10:19
The Republic of Tupan, ruled by me, President Alex N. M., applied to join the UN recently. Unfortunately, we are still waiting for an answer, so Tupan cannot be considered a full member right now.

Oh well. I think I might inform you of what the Tupanian people has decided about some resolutions:

- A new drug: this subject should be decided by the nations themselves, not by the UN.

- Disarming terrorists: Tupan votes against this proposal, for national security reasons.

- Free Nuclear Proliferation: a big thumbs-up from the Tupanians. National security reasons.

- Tree planting initiatives: Yes, the world needs a good environment.

- Multiple proposals in UN: Yes, speeding up the things is a good idea.

- Legalize drugs: Yes, the most unharmful ones should be decriminalized.

- Inter-species marriage: Tupan abstains from voting on this issue. What can be understood as "species", anyway?

- Subsistence security: It is a good idea, but Tupan votes against this issue because it would be too hard to implement.

- Worldwide minimum wage: Yes, although it could be difficult to implement, it is something that can be successfully made to work in most nations.

- Abolition of religion: Tupan agrees with this idea, especially considering how dangerous religion has become lately in the world.

- International labour standards: Yes, most definitely.

- Universal ban of pop singers: President Alex is inclined to vote yes, but the Tupanians would be unhappy, so the nation decides to reject this proposal.

- Kevin's Law: Tupan is against this proposal, for it would generate a lot of unemployment.

I think that's all. Are these resolutions still open to be voted? I hope so.

President Alex N. M.
Old January 5, 2003, 07:31   #42
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Endorse Akiria.

Their endorsements have disappeared, again. They now only have one (mine), and yesterday they had over seven. Looks like we'll have to endorse them every day to keep him as delegate.
Old January 5, 2003, 20:30   #43
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

I am In the most strongest of terms against the abolition of religion.

I am simply against everything except Tree Planting and Multiple Proposals, which I am for.

Inshallah.

Thud- Pope of Aclis
Old January 5, 2003, 20:46   #44
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

I also strongly recommend that we become signatory to these proposals:

Cultural Exchange Bureau
Banishment of Tax shelters
International Criminal Court
IMF and World Bank
Maximum Criminal Penalties
U.N. Peace Corps

And that's all for now. Most are on the first 5 pages, so it shouldn't be too much of a pain.
Old January 5, 2003, 20:59   #45
Thud
Prince

Torture and Forced Disappearences
Just to ramble on a little more, I suggest we propose the following resolution:

Recognizing

The Suffering of many people for crimes of which they are innocent,

Saddened

By the lack of attention to this horrific practice,

Noting with zest

That governments have no right to abduct their citizens without reasonable cause or trial.

Resolves

That torture and the forced disappearences of people all over the world is considered a crime against humanity, and that nations taking part in this practice are in violation of international law.
Old January 6, 2003, 07:33   #46
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 10:19
I have endorsed Akiria, let's hope their endorsements be maintained this time. It seems to be a strange bug.
Old January 6, 2003, 08:58   #47
Kassiopeia
Emperor

If the endorsement bug persists, I and Akiria might have to just start to take turns as UN delegate.
Old January 6, 2003, 10:24   #48
Drogue
staff

The problem with that, is that any votes we cast as delegate, are not carried over when the delegate changes. So we will have to endorse any proposal we want every time it changes, and the same with voting. Moreover, I'm betting we'll change just before the end of voting period, hence Apolyton will not have votes for a particular resolution It's Murphy's law...

Old January 6, 2003, 10:32   #49
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Thud
I also strongly recommend that we become signatory to these proposals:

Cultural Exchange Bureau
Banishment of Tax shelters
International Criminal Court
IMF and World Bank
Maximum Criminal Penalties
U.N. Peace Corps

And that's all for now. Most are on the first 5 pages, so it shouldn't be too much of a pain.
I disagree on most of those. I have endorsed the World Bank and IMF proposals and the UN Peace Corps, however I shall not endorse Maximum Penulties, as we believe in rehabilitation over punishment. I will have a look at the others, but am against the idea of an International Court, because I believe it should be up to each nation to decide it's policy, and up to each nation if it decides to join an international court.

Akiria is slightly worried by the dictatory and authoritarian way Aclis is trying to force other nations to abide by common rules. Need I remind you that your idea of right and wrong may be completely contradictory of anothers? While all member have to abide by UN decisions, imposing a laws, a court, legal peulties and tax issues on other countries is going a little far for the taste of The People of Akiria.

Old January 6, 2003, 11:38   #50
Thud
Prince

I concede that you are not willing to sign Maximum Criminal Penalties and the ICC. I actually don't strongly support these or U.N. Peace Corps, sorry. (MCP is a little strong, actually, almost immoral. You know, "when I was in jail, you visited me", and all)

EDIT: I actually strongly support the idea that you endorse some proposals, and you have already done so. Thank you.

Anyhow, you'll get an endorsement from me soon. Let's hope they hold.
Old January 8, 2003, 04:52   #51
Drogue
staff

Dan: Can you move this thread too?

Old January 8, 2003, 20:37   #52
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Unless you PM him and ask for it to be moved I doubt he will read this thread.
Old January 9, 2003, 07:42   #53
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:19
Nah, posting in the Staff Room about it is far more effective, as you can see
Old January 9, 2003, 11:31   #54
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Can someone tell me how a ban on UN taxation is going to reduce income inequality?

I like the idea of a ban on taxation to the UN, but I don't see how it relates to the description or its intended effect.
Old January 9, 2003, 12:15   #55
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 08:19
I don't want anyone taxing mine, but me.
Old January 9, 2003, 12:20   #56
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 15:19
I'm against direct taxation by the UN too. I have heavy taxation in general, so I really don't want more taxes. Kass, I suggest you vote against as voting against the resoultion proposal is pointless as only a minority is against it and I assume most of us don't want any fancy UN taxes.
Old January 9, 2003, 12:38   #57
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Agreed, I am myself leaning on to the side of forbidding the UN from tax collection. But I would like to hear Akiria's input on this as well, though I suspect they will agree with us. The UN may collect membership fees from the member states, but it mustn't tax the citizens directly.
Old January 9, 2003, 18:45   #58
Drogue
staff

I am against the UN tax collecting. I do not trust the UN to make better use of our money than we would. What does the UN need money for? Taking our citizens directly seems a little much too. If they need the money, ask the government, but do not impose upon the people.

This is way to rambling, it's been a long day. Suffice to say, I support the amendment, and do not want UN taxes.

Old April 23, 2003, 21:45   #59
Drogue
staff

Since I am taking over Marijuania for a few days, and thus the delegateship, I have reopened the old resolution and proposal discussion thread. Feel free to bring up anything UN based here, and I will respond ASAP.

Old April 23, 2003, 23:39   #60
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 00:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
We have noted a Resolution which we consider worthy opf support, which is as follows:

Convention against Torture
A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights Strength: Significant Proposed by: Tanah Burung
Description: All forms of torture, whether physical or mental, is hereby outlawed. There will be no exceptions to this rule in case of war. No state shall extradite an individual to another state where she is liable to be tortured.

Approvals: 35 (Divine Utopia, Bosstonia, Three Spinning Legs, Scavenger, Paq, Planet Z, LGBT, Conservative Liberals, Whittier, Of Geeks, Venus and Serena, X-tonia, Saint Lawrence, Hythia, Cote, The Imperial Senators, Lystania, Michigania, Tanah Burung, Cair Banog, Skirrildonia, Pardoland, The Bruce, Softbox, The Iron Wolf Brigade, Surf City, Blackbird, Mikos, Rebekah Michelle, Jeeh Peeh, Wieland, Albion Soviets, Huling, IFF, 5 Stars)

Voting Ends: Wed Apr 23 2003

It is at the bottom of page 13 currently.