Old December 27, 2002, 19:12   #1
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 14:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
obsolete units that don't upgrade
I'm trying to made all regular fast units (horsemen, knights, cavalry, tank) unupgradable, but still obsolete when the right technology is researched.

so horsemen upgrade to knights according to the editor, but by removing the "upgrade unit" flag they can't upgrade in the game. That's the idea anyway.

Two questions: is there a way around it so a unit can still be upgraded? and how does the AI respond to this?
Old December 27, 2002, 20:01   #2
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:20
This does keep the human from upgrading individual units, but I don't think it affects the AI; and the human can still use SHIFT+U (upgrade all). Unless Firaxis links these two things to the upgrade button, units can only upgrade, not go obselete.
Old December 28, 2002, 18:22   #3
Ozymandias
Prince

Local Time: 09:20
Quote:
Originally posted by Kloreep
This does keep the human from upgrading individual units, but I don't think it affects the AI; and the human can still use SHIFT+U (upgrade all). Unless Firaxis links these two things to the upgrade button, units can only upgrade, not go obselete.
I saw this discussed elsewhere; can't recall precisely where -- but the gist of it is to make the units Upgradable to "impossible" units that the AI would never decide to build (i.e., very expensive and inferior to also available units). This way the units become both obsolete and effectively un-upgradeable.

-Oz
... And on the pedestal these words appear: "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, the lone and level sands stretch far away ...
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2002, 18:25   #4
Saint Marcus
King

won't clean up the build list sadly
Old December 30, 2002, 11:08   #5
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

If you create a unit for your desired obsolete unit to upgrade to but don't allow that unit to be built by any nation, you will no longer see the desired obsolete unit on the build list and no one will be able to build the new unit.

Hope that made sense.
Colonel Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2002, 14:18   #6
Ozymandias
Prince

Local Time: 09:20
Quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Kraken
If you create a unit for your desired obsolete unit to upgrade to but don't allow that unit to be built by any nation, you will no longer see the desired obsolete unit on the build list and no one will be able to build the new unit.
Nice!

Thx,

Oz
... And on the pedestal these words appear: "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, the lone and level sands stretch far away ...
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2002, 16:07   #7
Saint Marcus
King

it's that simple? wow...

thanks!!
Old December 30, 2002, 19:39   #8
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:20
no, i think not. e.g. immortals and legionary are upgrades of the swordsman, but swordsmen can still be built, except by romans, persians, etc.

but maybe i'm wrong, havn't tried it...
Old December 30, 2002, 23:02   #9
XMon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Kraken

Hope that made sense.
Actually, that doesn't work. If the next unit on the upgrade list is not available then the program will continue to build the previously available unit. That's how the UUs are built into the upgrade flowchart.

You can try making the "fast" units cheap in relation to the upgrade unit. Then the AI tends to not upgrade because the cost is too high. But they still can. I've done this and the cheap units stick around but I can't be 100% sure that none of them upgraded.

Regarding the issue of upgrading to units with lesser stats and cleaning up the build list: you might try (I haven't) having the unit upgrade to a unit already in your list with a different AI strategy tag and with lesser stats. For example, having a knight upgrade to a cannon. You already have cannon on your list so there wouldn't be an extra "junk" unit to clog the list; yet, maybe the AI would not upgrade a unit (the knight) which is flagged for offense to a unit with an offense of zero. Just an idea, I haven't tried it but it might work.
XMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2003, 10:58   #10
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
no, i think not. e.g. immortals and legionary are upgrades of the swordsman, but swordsmen can still be built, except by romans, persians, etc.
DOH!

I just saw this at "the other Civ site" and thought it sounded good.
Colonel Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote