Old December 29, 2002, 05:15   #1
Rusty Nail
Warlord

Local Time: 14:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
No corruption mod
I don't know if this has already been done, but I found a simple way to eliminate corruption for players who would prefer to play civ3 like civ2, without corruption, so you can place your cities anywhere without penalty. In the editor redefine "palace" as a new wonder, which places a forbidden palace in every city. You have to choose a civilopedia entry from a wonder. Just use BLDG_Oracle. This has no effect on the Oracle wonder. Just cosmetic when the wonder is completed upon founding your first city. Simple. The only potential problem is that if you lose your capital, you are in bad shape as you cannot build the wonder again. At most you can build one forbidden palace (unless you can capture somebody else's capital and get the wonder back!). But that is minor compared with the advantages.
Old December 29, 2002, 08:42   #2
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:25
Well, there's the slight problem of having multiple of the same wonder in existence simultaneously.

If it's low corruption you want, there's one other thing that can be done:

-- Go to World Sizes in the Editor and change the Optimal City Number to something ludicrous. This, however, means that you probably won't be able to build the FP, and it also seems to make the AIs more aggressive if you jack the OCN up just a little bit.

Personally, I frown on playing a low-corruption or no-corruption game. Still, I won't prevent you from doing this. Just don't mention this project of yours to Alexman, OK?
Old December 29, 2002, 09:08   #3
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 05:25
Lowering corruption is a good idea, which also helps the AI (who cannot fight corruption as good as a human).

A no corruption mod sounds interesting, but drastic & makes the Commercial trait useless. Are you removing the Commercial trait as well?
Old December 29, 2002, 09:58   #4
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 06:25
Re: No corruption mod
Quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Nail
I don't know if this has already been done, but I found a simple way to eliminate corruption for players who would prefer to play civ3 like civ2, without corruption, so you can place your cities anywhere without penalty. In the editor redefine "palace" as a new wonder, which places a forbidden palace in every city. You have to choose a civilopedia entry from a wonder. Just use BLDG_Oracle. This has no effect on the Oracle wonder. Just cosmetic when the wonder is completed upon founding your first city. Simple. The only potential problem is that if you lose your capital, you are in bad shape as you cannot build the wonder again. At most you can build one forbidden palace (unless you can capture somebody else's capital and get the wonder back!). But that is minor compared with the advantages.
So what happens to the other civs that don't get the chance to build this super wonder of yours? They're not going to be able to build any Palace at all, since there can only be one of them in the game. And yes that's how it works, I accidentaly made the Palace a wonder, but I didn't get one since I didn't build a city right away. The wonder went to the first civ that did. It seems to me that you're giving yourself one hell of an advantage there. Why not just play Chieftain?

Besides, since the FP is a small wonder, you can only have one of them, not one in every city. If you are getting more than that, consider yourself lucky that you're not crashing the game.

Sorry, but it's a bad idea IMO.
Old December 29, 2002, 10:33   #5
Rusty Nail
Warlord

Willem, you are wrong. ALL civs get the wonder when they found their first city. This is because all get "palace" in the centre of their civ. I have checked it on hotseat. It works fine. The result is also much cleaner than fiddling with optimal number of cities ,which has side effects and is only a partial solution anyway.
Old December 29, 2002, 11:39   #6
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Willem, you are wrong. ALL civs get the wonder when they found their first city. This is because all get "palace" in the centre of their civ. I have checked it on hotseat. It works fine. The result is also much cleaner than fiddling with optimal number of cities ,which has side effects and is only a partial solution anyway.
That's not my observation.

I turned my Palace into a small wonder so that I can build armies without a leader from the early part of the game. While redoing my mod recently, I accidently converted it to a wonder by mistake. This one game, I couldn't figure out why I wasn't able to build an army. When I checked everything out, I realized that it was because I hadn't built my city on the very first turn, I had moved to a better spot, so another civ got the wonder instead of me.

If it's working for you, consider yourself lucky.
Old December 29, 2002, 17:40   #7
Rusty Nail
Warlord

Willem, I don't know what you did differently in your mod , but if you follow my instructions and use hotseat with several humans, you will see that it works even if you do not found your city on the first move. Try it. It takes only five minutes.
Old December 29, 2002, 22:23   #8
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Willem, I don't know what you did differently in your mod , but if you follow my instructions and use hotseat with several humans, you will see that it works even if you do not found your city on the first move. Try it. It takes only five minutes.
No thanks, you're method isn't very challenging. To have zero corruption over my whole empire would make things to easy.
Old December 30, 2002, 05:44   #9
Rusty Nail
Warlord

Pyrodrew is correct in pointing out that "no corruption" makes it more difficult for the human — and not easier as misunderstood by Willem— because the AI has great difficulty managing corruption and in placing the forbidden palace optimally. In fact, this was one of my motives. Regarding commercial trait, and balance in general, I am currently testing a mod that compensates for this and other imbalances by introducing a second UU (but no second Golden Age) for all civilizations. So far it looks most interesting.