Old December 30, 2002, 02:16   #31
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 18:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How about Nepal?
Join the Peace Core... teach in Nepal and earn money in dollars... that way you get about 70 nepali bucks to a dollar you earn... and everything else is dirt cheap... plenty of english around too... oh and weeds free

Although virginia is pretty nice too... but rather boring.
Old December 30, 2002, 04:04   #32
JimmyCracksCorn
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:27
Go live in someplace like southern New Hampshire.

Quite, but close to Boston.

No sales tax.

Great outdoors all around.
Old December 30, 2002, 04:06   #33
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 06:27
Las Vegas. Hey most other mormons move here.
Old December 30, 2002, 04:17   #34
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 20:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Try Bagdad. Plenty of action and excitement. You might even have the opportunity to exercise your anti-Americanism up close and personal.

Old December 30, 2002, 04:33   #35
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I really hate to say Las Vegas. We have too many people move here. Like 4000 a month move here. And they bring their supposedly good moral values with them. They have tried to outlaw lap dances here already. Don't expect prostitution to last long in the state of Nevada.

Anways Las Vegas is THE city with the best housing costs (better act quick though- they are rising rapidly), easily the best job opportunities.

Crime sucks- but that is only in gang neighborhoods. If you don't live in a gang neighborhood, crime is not very bad at all.

Needs to be fairly cheap.
-Good job oppritunities. Noted above. We have the best job opportunities. Hell we even have a computer publisher with Westwood studios.

-Good education. This we are not good at. Our college is so-so. Our public education is horrible. If you have kids send them to private school.

-Something to do!!! We have everything to do here. You can do anything where I live.

-Fairly low crime. I don't want to get murdered on the way home. Explained above. Just don't live in a gangland and you'll be OK. For which areas have gangs, I can provide further info.
Old December 30, 2002, 05:27   #36
Gods Pet Monkey
Settler

Local Time: 23:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Cool. Do I need to get a work visa or something like that? How do I start looking?
Its pretty much the same here in Australia (the IT Industry that is), so much demand, not enough people to fill the places, its easy for IT Graduates to get AU$50,000+ first year out of uni, and with no prior experience... companies are even recruiting students before they have finished their degrees!

But, as to how you would get started, seeing NZ is pretty much the same as Australia, I would expect you would need a residency visa, but don’t get to stressed, I shouldn’t think you would have to much trouble, you clearly speak English and are skilled .

If you want to find out more information, try contacting a consulate, or the embassy itself. You could also try your immigration department, I’m sure they would be able to point you in the right direction.
Old December 31, 2002, 00:17   #37
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:27
Thanks for the info.

So how do I look for work remotely?
Old December 31, 2002, 00:22   #38
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:27
i love how everyone suggests their own home

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old December 31, 2002, 02:22   #39
JimmyCracksCorn
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94
Come live in Massachusetts!
-Needs to be fairly cheap.
Hmmmm. Not cheap, but I wouldn't say it's THAT expensive. You can always go live in Lynn! *snicker*
-Good job oppritunities.
Yup. Route 128 is the Silicon Valley of the East!
-Good education.
Boston colleges, we founded public education, etc.
-Something to do!!!
Hell yeah! BOSTON!
-Fairly low crime. I don't want to get murdered on the way home.
Even in the most economically depressed areas, like Worcester and Lynn, crime isn't a huge issue. I wouldn't go walking around alone at night in all areas of those two cities but hey, nothing's perfect!
How do you figure Worcester and Lynn are the most economically depressed areas of the state?

Now I grew up in Massachusetts (Dorchester ), but don't tell anyone because I've been living in Canada since I was 18, although I return frequently to see my parents on the holidays. But I think if you want economically depressed areas, go to Lawrence, or Lowell, or anywhere in the Merrimack Valley. All those cities have unemployment rates of around 18 percent While Worcester, for example, has about a 5% jobless rate which is about in line with the state as a hole.

And Lynn, while I don't know the figures, I would guess its around the same as Boston's (5) seeing as it is almost seamlessly integrated with the rest of the city of Boston... albeit on the North Shore which is traditionally poorer than the South Shore or the city itself. Plus, Lynn is headquarters of Eastern Bank (my bank ) which is one of the biggest in New England.

And if you want real economic depression, come to dottie (Dorchester, if you didn't know) or Mattapan or Roxbury...not to mention Southie, Charlestown, or the South End (the Puerto Rican part), then you're pretty liable to get shot at if you look like you don't belong.

But all in all MA is a great place. Although, Monolith, don't take this the wrong way, but are you a native? You don't seem it, especially looking at your avatar, if that is you... I don't know, you just don't look very "Boston". What you do look, and sound like, is a college kid from somewhere else who moved to the city to go to school.

I don't mean to rag on you, but its pretty typical for kids out from somewhere else to come to Boston and then be all gun-ho about how awesome it is, and then try to pass off like they're from there (with their brand new Sox hats and all). When we were kids, we used to pick them out on the T and give them a hard time Oh, Childhood...

Am I right? Either that or you're from out west in the state, maybe closer to New York or Connecticut.

Of course I could be totally wrong... so prove me wrong and make an ass out of me! But my economic stats are still correct.
Old December 31, 2002, 02:48   #40
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 15:27
Tass, we Finns miss you, get here.

First of all, the level of education is high and you shouldn't have problem to get work in English if you have some special knowledge, but especially in the IT sector you could have good chances. It depends very much on what you work with. However your age might be a small liability and the language, but overall this is a quite welcoming place for you. As for the price level, the taxes are higher than in Utah, but as you know, you have good civil liberties and there's social welfare. Need to say more?

Oh one more thing...

New Zealand would be bad for you as brodband connections are expensive down there (ask RedBull or Blake). So if you want to keep that in mind too, Finland is a good choice too.
Old January 1, 2003, 22:02   #41
JimmyCracksCorn
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin

First of all, the level of education is high and you shouldn't have problem to get work in English if you have some special knowledge, but especially in the IT sector you could have good chances. It depends very much on what you work with. However your age might be a small liability and the language, but overall this is a quite welcoming place for you. As for the price level, the taxes are higher than in Utah, but as you know, you have good civil liberties and there's social welfare. Need to say more?

Oh one more thing...

New Zealand would be bad for you as brodband connections are expensive down there (ask RedBull or Blake). So if you want to keep that in mind too, Finland is a good choice too.
But that would still involve living in Finland
Old January 2, 2003, 02:51   #42
Sikander
King

Don't move here, it's too expensive! And don't listen to most of these people who sound like boosters, most of them are simply too ignorant to leave their crappy homes.
Old January 2, 2003, 03:26   #43
Oerdin
Deity

San Diego has great weather, the economy is one of the best in America, there's low crime, lot'sto do, and there are a lot of cute girls. Sure, housing is on the expensive side but did I meantion the abundance of cute girls?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old January 2, 2003, 03:28   #44
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

San Diego is mega expensive.

Nothing can beat Vegas.

But again it's not the best place to raise kids. We have low morals despite Californians trying to force us to have morals. And our school system is beyond crap. And our crime rate can be bad in some areas of town.

Sure we lead the nation in suicide rate and smoking. But those are individual choices. The city doesn't cause people to smoke and commit suicide. Then again, maybe it does.
Old January 2, 2003, 03:34   #45
Oerdin
Deity

San Diego is costly but it is less expensive then places like San Fransisco plus we have fewer weirdos & extream leftests (but I repeat myself). It costs me $1200 for a two bedrom and rent the other one out so I only pay $600 per month. Not bad considering it is two years old and near the beach. Plus salaries here are higher to help pay for the higher rent.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old January 2, 2003, 03:41   #46
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
Finland wouldn't be half-bad if it weren't for Stefu.
Old January 2, 2003, 04:52   #47
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 16:27
No TAS! Don't listen to Rasbelin!

Education.. ok high and good.
Crime.. what's that?
Fairly cheap.. in my dreams too. UNfortunately not true. You won't get anything special for paying high taxes. Nothing.
Job OPportunities.. dependes.. IT-business, contrary to what Rasbelin said, it's not a treat here. You have to have good skills and specialized in something, then you can have a go, but even then you get paid BAD! BAD BAD BAD! But you aren't greedy.. 25k year not enough? Well that's too bad, go back to US commie!
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old January 2, 2003, 04:55   #48
Rasbelin
Emperor

You don't get paid bad here. Oh and you will get something special for paying higher taxes.

Tass, all persons that are pro Finland are welcome here. Don't listen to that Pekka. We know he's just somber again; most likely.
Old January 2, 2003, 04:59   #49
Pekka
Emperor

Rasbelin, Obviously you haven't checked the rates in foreign countries? Dude.. we get raped. What do you get with your tax money, something special that other countries would not provide? Nothing.
Old January 2, 2003, 05:02   #50
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

health care?
Old January 2, 2003, 05:12   #51
Pekka
Emperor

Yeah but it sucks here anyway. My local doctor actually mistreated me last time I injured myself, I had broken rib and he didn't even x-ray it when I demanded so. If you want to get decent treatment, you got to go to private doctors. Anyone who claims other, is lying or hasn't been sick . And it's just one example, I don't even have good experiences, now I only use private treatment.

And Rasbelin, salaries here really are BAD. If you get 3k a month, you're pretty much doing great in here. With high taxing and monster income tax, we have second worst situation in Europe, only Portugal being even worse. We don't have money! We are a good country, but if you're educated and already live in another country, moving here is going to be tough, drastic drop in salaries. Also.. there's only so little you can do here, besides drinking. Because of the harsh winter, winter sports is good, but that's it.

We have a nice country though, relatively crime free etc. But I wouldn't move here to get a job, even more so if I had good education and working experience. No way. Stick with UK, the US or something.
Old January 2, 2003, 05:12   #52
Rasbelin
Emperor

Free health care with the sickness insurance all Finnish citizens have, plus many free or discounted services; libraries, education, transportaion, daycare, sports establishments, museums, etc. etc.
Old January 2, 2003, 05:14   #53
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

those services such anyways. I'll stick to my employer paying my health care. Well I do pay $20 a month for health care- my employer gets the rest. That seems like too much because I never go to a doctor .
Old January 2, 2003, 05:15   #54
Rasbelin
Emperor

UK? You get better service here than there. As for the rest, you're always free to move from here if you want.
Old January 2, 2003, 05:17   #55
Pekka
Emperor

Libraries are good, transportation is good in Helsinki, elsewhere it sucks and it wouldn't be more expensive even if it wasn't in the hands of the gov.. daycare is a problem, depends where you live. Sports establishments, yes if you play ice hockey, other than that it sucks. Museums are ok though. The only thing I'd go here is libraries, they're good. If you add bad pay, taxing that makes you want to kill yourself, and so.. I don't love libraries that much.
And free health care sucks. No one wants to treat you.
Old January 2, 2003, 05:18   #56
Pekka
Emperor

How do you know we get better service here? That's just a myth.. I'll change my opinion when I get treated properly even once. And as for me, don't worry, I won't be sticking here for too long.
Old January 2, 2003, 05:24   #57
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

libraries, education, transportaion, daycare, sports establishments, museums

I'll try to discuss the american versions of these. I'm no tax expert thogh.

Libararies. We have them. The one's in my city aren't that great, but they aren't too shabby either. Our local taxes pay for these. But I don't have a state income tax. I think things like property and sales tax pay for these. maybe some business taxes.

transportation. This is subsidized by the local goverment. Amtrack is subsidized by the federal gov. I believe. The rest of the costs comes from the consumer. That is public transportation mind you. All private transportation is payed for by the individual.

Daycare. Not payed for by the goverment at all. Although maybe welfare helps in that? I'm not sure. many employers offer daycare, or you pay for it out of your own pocket.

museums. I think these are funded by city goverments and private contributions.

sports establishments. We have no pro sports where I live. I think all our stadiums/arenas/fields are payed for. Ticket prices account for upkeep. Cities that have new football stadiums do pay higher local taxes- dependant on a vote of course. Many people support stadiums though.
Old January 2, 2003, 05:31   #58
Pekka
Emperor

Yeah.. people have a funny idea what it is in other countries. Just like some americans think they are the only free country. We think we are the only country with these goods, and it's only possible with super high taxing. And that everyone is doing ok in here. Not true.
People just have mindsets, that complaining is for fools, demanding better is worse than disowning your own son. I advice people to do travelling, have few foreing friends in foreign countries, do research, get sick in foreign countries, do it all. The only thing here that is great compared to other countries is low crime.
Looks like I go on and on about this everytime, so I try to stop it. Just people here won't even check how things are in other places. It's just myths, all in your minds. Get around.
Old January 2, 2003, 05:34   #59
Rasbelin
Emperor

Well, does your local library offer free Internet access? Does it have online Internet services for searching it's collections and managing your loans? Do they only have printed material? Are you allowed to loan them for up to 5 months (in one months periods, after which you have to renew them and if no one has a reservation, you can have them up to 5 months)? Is there a limit for how many books you can get? Are there any music CDs available? What about videos? Do they have any Linux distros? What about new DVD movies?

If you're looking for any of the above, please welcome yourself to the city library of Tampere. We have everything listed above.
Old January 2, 2003, 05:38   #60
Pekka
Emperor

Rasbe, yeah.. Libraries here are great. I'll give you that.. it's all good. And I'm not saying everything here sucks nuts. All I'm saying is that I hope people would realise only Portugese do worse than we do when it comes to how much money you get. Life isn't all about money, true, but it shouldn't be 45 years of hard work to just get your crappy car fully paid for and maybe even a house, and then die. You know it's true .