Old November 14, 2000, 23:55   #121
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 14:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Very minor cheat, and doesn't really apply in multiplayer.

You can use formers to plant fungus in other players territory, even over existing improvments, for example turning those special resource forest squares into worthless fungus squares. This seems acceptable except you can do it to pact brothers too, which goes against two other rules : normally you can't destroy improvments (using "D"), and you are not allowed to raise/lower your pact brothers terrain, which suggests the designers didn't intend for you to be allowed to sabotage your allies improvments.

However I also seem to recall using naval bombardment to destroy improvments of a player I had a treaty with.

hmmmm, naval bombardment does destroy improvments without penalty in a pact brothers territory. The AI doesn't mind at all but I imagine this could be nasty in a PBEM (any SMACX player will surely remember the time sven came by and levelled every forest within two squares of the coast, happened to me in a LAN game, fecking annoying for fledging Morgan). In a PBEM I imagine you wouldn't even know it was happening.

This would seem to be a much more serious cheat than planting fungus in your neighbours improvments, you may want to add it to the list.

I'll just add my 2c on communicating+trading with other humans before contact. I've only played in (reasonably friendly) LAN games, and it was rather annoying in a three player game, as the first two players to make contact could swap 1:1 for tech, and end up with a lot of tech. The third player would then talk with one of the first two, the first two players will most likely now have all the tech the third player has, leaving the third player about 3-6 tech levels behind, and with no means to trade for it, this was annoying, and the best solution was simply for one of the first two players to gift the third all of the tech, meaning all players started equal. But two players making a pact from turn 1 results in a BIG gain of tech at no cost, so it should be considered a cheat unless all players in the game are let into the deal - or ofcourse the rule no trade until real contact is made. Ofcourse the whole multiplayer-diplomacy-probing thing is screwed anyway...
So my vote would be for tech-trade before contact is a cheat.

Blake
Old November 15, 2000, 21:35   #122
Misotu
Emperor

Local Time: 02:51
quote:

Originally posted by Aredhran on 11-11-2000 08:48 PM
Quick thread hijack... sorry

There's are female SMAC players at ACOL. PhatLady for sure, maybe AnnC if she still plays (not sure). Nell stopped posting when she became pregnant so I don't know if she still plays.

Hi Aredhran ... Haven't come across PhatLady - I know of AnnC and Nell but I don't think they play any more or at least I haven't seen anything from them recently ... isn't Mamajom female too?

Old November 15, 2000, 21:38   #123
Misotu
Emperor

Blake: I think most players would agree with you about contact. Every MP game I've played has the contact rule defined from day one - either unrestricted contact, or no contact until you meet. It's never left open-ended. Violating the rule would of course be a cheat. If there is no rule, then it's hard to say that communicating is cheating - it's up to players to tighten up on obvious areas like this.
Old November 15, 2000, 22:53   #124
Helium Pond
Prince

Local Time: 01:51
Does naval bombardment actually give the other player *no* notification of what's happening? I think that's quite a biggie. I'm surprised it hasn't come up before this. Please give me some confirmation on it. I'll definitely add it.

And as soon as that's settled, I think I will repost the list as a new thread, to save everyone the trouble of reading this whole thing again.

Old November 16, 2000, 08:32   #125
Aredhran
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Misotu on 11-15-2000 08:35 PM
isn't Mamajom female too?

Yes indeed, forgot about her
Old November 17, 2000, 16:46   #126
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 20:51
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I am sure you don't get any notification of naval bombardment in an email game, but, I think that sort of thing would be noticed unless it was a rare occurance.

During PBEM games I worked out a standard routine and I checked every single base worker's location every single turn to maximize production. So I would notice.

Of course not everyone takes an hour to play a turn. Maybe if I played as sloppily as Red I wouldn't have had to retire.

jt
Old November 17, 2000, 20:04   #127
AnnC
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:51
Old November 18, 2000, 01:12   #128
MariOne
King

Local Time: 03:51
THANKS for bumping!
Where was this thread when I was looking for it?
It would have spared me lots of embarassment many times...

Educated comments and links, another time
Old November 19, 2000, 21:57   #129
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 20:51
And what is that supposed to mean Annie?
Old November 20, 2000, 04:33   #130
Aredhran
Prince

I resent that, you goddam arrogant southerner !

The Swiss Goat
Old November 20, 2000, 17:35   #131
Helium Pond
Prince

Local Time: 01:51
Okay, I'm going to post the list in a new thread. This one's too darn big.