Old December 31, 2002, 20:22   #1
Vesayen
King

Local Time: 09:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What is the most amazing military victory in history?
Im trying to think about it..........the two best I can think of are both from the Persian-Greek war.

The most amazing military victory in history, in my opinion is the battle of Thermopylae, with the battle of Salamis and Plataea in a distant second.

Summary of the Battle of Thermopylae: Persia was going to send tens of thousands of troops against Athens and Sparta, the cities needed time to prepare.

300 Spartan elite troops(including one of the spartan's kings) waited in a valley for the persian army to come. The 300 spartans killed thousands of Persian troops and held them off long enough for the Athenians and Spartans to get up defences-they later routed the persian army.

Info on the battle of Salamis and Plataea at http://www-adm.pdx.edu/user/sinq/gre...r2/salamis.htm
Old December 31, 2002, 20:30   #2
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 06:32
Nope, the most astounding military victory in history was at Chahimica in modern day Peru. A force of 150 Spaniards utterly defeated a force of 25,000 natives and captured the Inca King . As a result of this battle the Inca empire was effectively destroyed and many of the the natives began to believe the Europeans where unbeatable gods.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old December 31, 2002, 20:30   #3
Oerdin
Deity

For details read "Guns, Germs, & Steel" by Gerad Diamond
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old December 31, 2002, 20:32   #4
Vesayen
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Nope, the most astounding military victory in history was at Chahimica in modern day Peru. A force of 150 Spaniards utterly defeated a force of 25,000 natives and captured the Inca King . As a result of this battle the Inca empire was effectively destroyed and many of the the natives began to believe the Europeans where unbeatable gods.
That wasent really a millitary battle, it was 150 spaniards VS civilians who thought they were Gods.......the Inca's didnt really put up a fight.

Thats like cheating in Civ2 or 3, getting stealth bombers on turn 1, then wiping out enemy cities-nothing surprising or amazing about that kinda a victory when you have tons more fire power, and the enemy thinks your God.
Old December 31, 2002, 20:32   #5
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 03:32
The American Colonies kicking British bum and making the glorious nation that stands before you today.

Go US!
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old December 31, 2002, 20:34   #6
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Local Time: 08:32
Therompylae isn't that amazing. If you have ever seen pictures of the area, that has to be one of the east grounds to defends in the world. Spartan troops were very much the superior of Persian forces, so with that narrow a chokepoint it's no suprise they won.

For a battle, Oerdin might have the most astounding victory. For a war, I would I have to say Israel winning in 1948.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old December 31, 2002, 20:37   #7
Vesayen
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
Therompylae isn't that amazing. If you have ever seen pictures of the area, that has to be one of the east grounds to defends in the world. Spartan troops were very much the superior of Persian forces, so with that narrow a chokepoint it's no suprise they won.

For a battle, Oerdin might have the most astounding victory. For a war, I would I have to say Israel winning in 1948.

I'd like to support that on moral grounds and patriotic pride(im an American Jew, same thing) but I dont know enough about the independance war to make a judgment on it(though the wars going on for the next 30 years were pretty amazing heh).
Old December 31, 2002, 20:37   #8
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 13:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Frankychan
The American Colonies kicking British bum and making the glorious nation that stands before you today.

Go US!
Old December 31, 2002, 20:44   #9
Vesayen
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

There were more amazing victories then the U.S. in the revolutionary war heh.
Old December 31, 2002, 20:59   #10
Oerdin
Deity

Of course the tri-color is a republican flag and the royal government was the one whom helped the Americans so the appropriate flag would be this.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	royal french flag.gif
Views:	252
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	32874  

Last edited by Oerdin; December 31, 2002 at 21:04.
Old December 31, 2002, 21:01   #11
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

I'd vote for the battle of Midway. The odds were stacked against the Americans, but with a little luck and a little cunning, they won a huge victory, that quite a few poeple think was the turning point in the war of the Pacific.
Old December 31, 2002, 21:04   #12
Oerdin
Deity

Nah, not midway. The U.S. had broken the Jap codes by then and knew exactly when and where they would strike. It's easy to counter the enemy if you know exactly what he's going to do and where he's going to be at what time.
Old December 31, 2002, 21:07   #13
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 03:32
Tass-okay, okay...you got me there.

Good call.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old December 31, 2002, 21:53   #14
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 13:32
Quote:

Good call.
Hehe

Speaking of which, I'm still waiting for your nation to solve its communications issues so that it may participate in the global gaming event....
Old December 31, 2002, 21:59   #15
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:32
Agincourt!

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old December 31, 2002, 22:02   #16
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:32
Manchester United's victory over Sunderland.

Mis Novias
Old December 31, 2002, 22:05   #17
Tuberski

Quote:

Good call.

The Tulane victory over Hawaii 36-28 in the Hawaii Bowl!!

gotcha again Franky

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old December 31, 2002, 22:34   #18
Ned
King

Alésia
Old December 31, 2002, 23:00   #19
Zkribbler
Deity

Quote:
Therompylae . . . it's no suprise they won.
Er...the Spartans lost that one. A Greek sheepherder should the Persians a goat trail which led around behind the Spartans, and the polis of Spartan failed to send promised reinforcements. The last communique for King Leonides: "Tell the people of Sparta that here we lie, obedient to their wishes."

I vote for Operation Desert Storm--the 4th largest army in the world destroyed with only 100 killed.
Old December 31, 2002, 23:08   #20
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Considering Israel outnumbered its enemies, had more weapons, a unified command structure, it was rather surprising they didn't take the whole thing. The outcome in the 1948 war was a foregone conclusion. US state department records from before the war predict a total Israeli victory.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 31, 2002, 23:11   #21
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Wasn't the most amazing victory Alexander the Great's conquest of Persia, especially the battle where he destroyed the Persian army despite attacking across a river and being massively outnumbered. I believe it was the most lopsided victory in history until the Gulf War.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 1, 2003, 00:57   #22
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 21:32
Quote:
Originally posted by rah
I'd vote for the battle of Midway. The odds were stacked against the Americans, but with a little luck and a little cunning, they won a huge victory, that quite a few poeple think was the turning point in the war of the Pacific.
I'd vote for Midway too. I read somewhere that the US naval academy has done dozens of simulations of the battle and every time the Japanese win.

The US had an amazing string of luck in the attack that took out the Japanese carriers, including:

- US aircraft spot the Japanese carriers at the last minute.
- the divebombers arrive late, and as a result the Japanese fighters have dropped down to sea level to take out the torpedo bombers so the fighters can't stop the divebombers.
- the Japanese aircraft being rearmed exactly when the US aircraft attack.
Old January 1, 2003, 01:07   #23
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

John Magruder lead a Rebel force against Galvaston, Texas. He assaulted with 500 men on land against barricades. His ladders were too short. The attack fizzled.

Meanwhile he had prepared to attack the five Federal gunboats by stacking cotton bales on two paddleboats, one of which had one 37 pounder and the other was outfitted with a ram composed of railroad ties. The upper decks were outfitted with marksmen.

The paddleboats came steaming in and while the 37 pound gun exploded and killed the crew and captain, the other boat rammed a Federal gunboat. The sharpshooters raked its deck and a boarding party seized the gunboat. One Federal caption was so sure he was doomed he scuttled his ship blowing himself up in the process. The other three gunboats promptly surrendered.

This so terrified the garrison in the city that they promptly surrendered.
Old January 1, 2003, 01:08   #24
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Agincourt first came to mind, but now I think that it must be an offensive victory to be the most amazing.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old January 1, 2003, 01:11   #25
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

No Blitzkrieg over the Maginot Line?

Mis Novias
Old January 1, 2003, 01:13   #26
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker
No Blitzkrieg over the Maginot Line?
Around it I think.
Old January 1, 2003, 01:27   #27
Joseph
King

Midway for the reasons stated.
We did not know it was Midway until a few days before. Sailed with 2 carriers and Yorktown was still in drydock until the last minutes and then sailed to just get there a few hours before the attack started. And we did not know if the Japanese BBs would be with the carrier or not and we had only a few cruisers, destroys and 3 carriers.
Old January 1, 2003, 01:29   #28
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick

Around it I think.
Correct.

Mis Novias
Old January 1, 2003, 01:35   #29
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The victory of the Macabees. Who would have thought that a bunch of sheep herders could whip Greek butt?
Old January 1, 2003, 01:35   #30
Joseph
King

Germany the best equip army in the world in 1942, and was not able to take St. Petersburg, Moscow, or Stalingrad.