Old January 1, 2003, 17:13   #1
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Local Time: 09:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Apolytonian Abolitionist Front
The Senate of Apolytonia just passed a bill endorsing a government policy of perpetual slavery! The bill does not have a clear majority, however, and it is my belief that with more organized opposition, action can be taken to reverse this perverse decision! Speak your support here, and the President, seeing our strength, may decide to veto this atrocity!
Old January 1, 2003, 17:23   #2
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I fully support Freedom

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old January 1, 2003, 23:57   #3
Mr Mayor
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStates
Warlord

Local Time: 13:35
Give me 3 Good Reasons why we should abolish slavery and i may change my atitude towards the issue.
Old January 2, 2003, 00:08   #4
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 07:35
This comming from someone foolish enough to lampoon his posts with the SMAC UN faction leaderhead. Everybody knows that University is the way to go. Love da patch!
Old January 2, 2003, 00:26   #5
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 10:35
1- Slavery is morally wrong (seriously! )
2- In RL, slavery is economically silly (not very productive), and in our game, they produce less than a free worker (a half, to be exact)
3- we are the most powerful civ of the game. We can spend a few lytons.
Old January 2, 2003, 00:33   #6
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

I demand that the diligent workers formerly dedicated to improving the lands of her late highness, Joan of Arc, be freed! They committed no crimes against Apolyton, yet they have been working as slaves for centuries! Let them return to their former lands of Old France to reunite with relatives and loved ones. Also consider that their incorporation into the cities will foster much needed growth and production to the cities that the Apolyton forces to savagely sacked.

Free the slaves! (Especially French ones) !
Old January 2, 2003, 01:30   #7
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 05:35
Arnelos is DIA is it not?

Does the DIA have a stance?

Can Parties become relevant?

Mss
Old January 2, 2003, 12:14   #8
Mr Mayor
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStates
Warlord

where will we put them after they are freed? in our city's which are purly apolitonian, or citys were there own race exist?
Old January 2, 2003, 13:00   #9
Kuciwalker
Deity

BURN THE HERETICS! THE SLAVES WERE MADE TO SERVE US!
Old January 2, 2003, 13:45   #10
Mr Mayor
Warlord

IAM CONVINCED!!! FREE THE SLAVES!!!!! Liberty for all!!!
Slavery is evil weather it be on the fields and plains of the our world or on the streams of data that is apolyton!
Will the cruelty ever stop! Not until the abolitionist rise up and take control of this country region by region , square by square
and free the slaves in the regions where they work hard without pay but only with pain. The beatings must stop! What does our president have to say about this matter. Is he a freedom fighter or a murderer?!

I used to think that treating slaves humainly was posible. But from as any man can see this cant be done.

skywalker "BURN THE HERETICS! THE SLAVES WERE MADE TO SERVE US!"
Hot_Enamel "Think of the Slave Handlers ?And the Whip Makers? Keep the slaves as free labour."

SO freedom must be achived by any means nescicary!

(wouldnt it be intersting if could actually have a civil war in the game )
Old January 2, 2003, 14:17   #11
Kuciwalker
Deity

Oh, so your plotting a revolution are you ?
Old January 2, 2003, 14:24   #12
Mr Mayor
Warlord

Maybe

use the force skywalker , see the truth , slavery is wrong you know it to be true. wise i am , see the future you must, understand someday, u will.

Clouds everyting, the ming side does, soon see the truth will you!
Old January 2, 2003, 15:48   #13
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Arnelos is DIA. The DIA doesn't have an official stance that I'm aware of; however, many members, being hippy and all, oppose slavery...

Parties can always become relevant.
Old January 2, 2003, 16:18   #14
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 15:35
As a proud member of the DIA, I strongly oppose the bill which passed. In there, I explained lengthy why integrating slaves first will be very useful to our economy, and why integrating nationals first would hurt our economy, and partly deprive us of the demographic boom we need.

Also, the bill completely lacks of flexibility. As long as there is ANY national worker out in the fields, it will be IMPOSSIBLE to integrate any slave, regardless of the situation.

I'm sorry to all those who oppose slavery for moral reasons, because I only speak about economic rationale, but I want to prove integrating slaves first is economically rational
Old January 2, 2003, 17:47   #15
Kuciwalker
Deity

No, spiffor, you proved that integrating slaves in economically rational. That's true. What is not true is that integrating them FIRST is rational.
Old January 2, 2003, 18:30   #16
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

fighting for freedom , dying for liberty

free the oppressed

have a nice day

Last edited by Panag; January 3, 2003 at 01:35.
Old January 2, 2003, 18:36   #17
Mr Mayor
Warlord

Aplause from the crowds..... a liberation army??? or just a protest?

Lets hear it for panag!

Lets Hear it for freedom!
Old January 2, 2003, 19:20   #18
Kuciwalker
Deity

What was the ruling about abstentions and everything? Do they count for the two-thirds.

Also, YES actually won by two votes. I have to vote by posting because it doesn't let me vote.

I just realized that, if abstains are ignored... the bill actually can't be vetoed!

19 yes. 17 no. 19/(19+17) = 19/26 = 73% > 2/3!
Old January 2, 2003, 20:04   #19
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:35
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
What was the ruling about abstentions and everything? Do they count for the two-thirds.
Abstentions are thrown out for all purposes except meeting quorum.

Quote:
Also, YES actually won by two votes. I have to vote by posting because it doesn't let me vote.

I just realized that, if abstains are ignored... the bill actually can't be vetoed!

Err... 19+17=36.

19/36= ~53%
Old January 2, 2003, 20:41   #20
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 05:35
The only reason these foreign workers can be considered slaves is because they are "forced" to work for us and have no other choice. In the EXACT same way, our own workers who came from the cities and fields of our nation are slaves as well then. Should they not be freed as well? If not, now you are placing the value of a foreign citizen over the value of one of our own citizens.

Also, on the hypocrisy front (role playing or not), we fully support granting freedom to our "slaves" yet no one has uttered any sort of dissent that our SMC just killed thousands of innocent german civilians in a city for no good reason? I am not understanding this.

It's not okay to "enslave" our past/present enemies innocent civilian populace, but it is perfectly okay to burn them alive instead?

Perhaps these abolitionist organizations should look at a bigger picture before claiming they are morally and ethically righteous.

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old January 2, 2003, 21:11   #21
Thud
Prince

WhiteBandit, earlier today I was myself considering these very points. I thought about the current moral tests our nation is currently facing, and failing. Indeed, if I was not such a strong supporter of the DIA, I would've already started a party based on moral issues.

As it is, I think I am going to create an umbrella non-party organization on moral issues, including war, slavery, and trout-slapping.

I think it has been clarified that the vote passed by less than 2\3rds. Even if the President fails to veto, a modified version of the bill will be introduced by this organization, bringing about moderate change directed at the goal of emancipation while making economic sense.
Old January 2, 2003, 21:31   #22
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteBandit
The only reason these foreign workers can be considered slaves is because they are "forced" to work for us and have no other choice. In the EXACT same way, our own workers who came from the cities and fields of our nation are slaves as well then. Should they not be freed as well? If not, now you are placing the value of a foreign citizen over the value of one of our own citizens.

Also, on the hypocrisy front (role playing or not), we fully support granting freedom to our "slaves" yet no one has uttered any sort of dissent that our SMC just killed thousands of innocent german civilians in a city for no good reason? I am not understanding this.

It's not okay to "enslave" our past/present enemies innocent civilian populace, but it is perfectly okay to burn them alive instead?

Perhaps these abolitionist organizations should look at a bigger picture before claiming they are morally and ethically righteous.
WhiteBandit, I understand what you're saying, but let's be honest - no one is going to support a all-moral movement to stop all crimes against humanity. I know - I've tried to fight that battle before here and lost.

So you might say we're setting our sights on a more attainable goal - abolishing slavery.

No, we are not valueing foreign citizens over native citizens. We are saying that UNPAID foreign slaves deserve priority over PAID national workers in being assimilated into cities.
Old January 2, 2003, 23:41   #23
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Thud
I think it has been clarified that the vote passed by less than 2\3rds. Even if the President fails to veto, a modified version of the bill will be introduced by this organization, bringing about moderate change directed at the goal of emancipation while making economic sense.
Thud, my friend...

You have too little faith in us

Discussion of a cabinet veto of this bill started almost as soon as it passed. A cabinet vote was already ongoing while you posted the above

The results of that vote are about to be posted by myself.

EDIT: Posted. Thud, my friend... Contrary to popular belief, we do have a backbone.

Last edited by Arnelos; January 2, 2003 at 23:51.
Old January 3, 2003, 00:01   #24
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ManicStarSeed
Arnelos is DIA is it not?
Yes, I am. A point which has been sufficiently made by Spiffor and my joint work on this veto (and thanks to yourself and panag for voting for it as well).

Quote:
Does the DIA have a stance?
I haven't seen a single member of the DIA come out in favor of slavery. While the abolition of slavery didn't make it onto the party's platform for the term, you certainly can't now deny that we haven't made a stand on the issue...

Quote:
Can Parties become relevant?
They are most relevant when they make a stand on an issue and others who are not affiliated with them come to agree. This was always the secret the tiny Hawk Party's success and where the DIA has been successful, this has also been the case. Independents rule Apolytonia, but the parties can and have been relevant throughout Apolytonian history as founts for opposing policy options and the defense of them. This remains the case.
Old January 3, 2003, 00:06   #25
Thud
Prince

Lol. I suspected as much, but I always have to make a dramatic show. Three millenia was starting to show, have to keep up appearences and all.

And heck, we have a world war on our hands, I'm glad our cabinet has proved they have a backbone.

I think that the Senate will agree that you guys made the right choice on this one. And your justification is unassailable. Still, skywalker will try to assail it

Btw, I humbly recommend you try and make some official policy on the topic before someone tries to post another bill on the subject.

Of course, the Abolitionist Front would like to influence you to take a pro-emancipation stance if at all possible.
Old January 3, 2003, 00:25   #26
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Btw, I humbly recommend you try and make some official policy on the topic before someone tries to post another bill on the subject.
The Domestic Minister must indeed create such a policy. I believe he both requested for this veto and voted in favor of it so that he may do just such a thing.

That said, I agree with E_T's concern that a more thorough plan (looking at the monetary and working details of numbers of each type of worker and what it will mean) is necessary to decide what actually should be done.

I'm sure there are some talented people willing to comment on that one
Old January 3, 2003, 00:46   #27
lmtoops
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:35
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker

Note to self: do not vote skywalker to any position requiring basic math.

Just had to bust on you...giving you a hard time.
Old January 3, 2003, 01:42   #28
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:

hi ,

and by doing so they shall only slow things down , if they have some brains they shall indeed realize the fact that the veto is needed and its going to be a benefit to us

have a nice day

panag > anyone else wants to post a bill

no-one , good

little guy stands up in the back of the senate "but Arnelos , we can not , ............." , little guy gets hit with bananapeels from panag and remains silent