Old January 2, 2003, 14:18   #1
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Switching Governments
I was wondering whether or not it is a good idea to switch your government during your Golden Age.

Right now I am at the end of the Ancient age and have triggered my Golden Age by building the Great Wall (built it because it was really the only thing left to build). I am playing as China. I am a despotism and have Monarchy but do not have Republic. Should I switch governments?

Sorry for the lack of info but this is a Hotseat game and I do not want to say to much because the other players may be lurking in the forum.

BTW the Golden Age lasts 25 turns (mod). I don't know if that makes a difference. I just started the Golden Age and am about 200 points ahead of the other players.

Sell your photos
Old January 2, 2003, 14:41   #2
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

China is NOT Religious, and so you would lose 4 to 8 turns of your GA due to Anarchy. I'd say wait until after the GA ends.
Old January 2, 2003, 15:07   #3
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Local Time: 09:36
In general, I would recommend that unless you are a religious civ, you not switch during your golden age. Non-religious will experience 4-8 turns of anarchy, which equates to a massive loss of productivity during your GA. I would hold off until you're back to normal.
Old January 2, 2003, 15:19   #4
Robber Baron
Prince

I'd have to agree with other folks here: 4-6 turns' worth of golden age enhancement is too heavy a cost for the switch.
Old January 2, 2003, 21:35   #5
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

I would not switch governements. Just crank out some units, and make good use of 'em on your weakest neighbour
Old January 3, 2003, 06:01   #6
Mad Bomber
King

I see, So I am the ONLY person who would chose 20 turns of a GA in Monarchy compared to 25 turns spent in Despotism. I think that if you did the math you would see that the 20 turns in Monarchy would actually net you more shields than the 25 in Despo, but I could be wrong. When switching governments in the ancient age the longest period of anarchy I have experinced is 5 turns, and I have experienced a 0 turn anarchy with a non-religious civ also. I say go ahead and switch, but save the game beforehand, just in case.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old January 3, 2003, 08:32   #7
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Yes, 20 turns in monarchy would probably be better than 25 turns as a despot. But then you have to worry about disorders and other things if you go into anarchy now.
Old January 3, 2003, 08:56   #8
Hurricane
Warlord

Local Time: 15:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber
I say go ahead and switch, but save the game beforehand, just in case.
He said he was playing hotseat, so I don't think saving and reloading is an available choice.
Old January 3, 2003, 09:10   #9
Mad Bomber
King

Quote:
Yes, 20 turns in monarchy would probably be better than 25 turns as a despot. But then you have to worry about disorders and other things if you go into anarchy now.
You don't have to worry about disorder in Anarchy, just set them all to taxmen or scientists, there is no production even if they are in WLTKD. The only question is how long will the Anarchy last, a good indication is # of cities you have and the number of MP you have.

Quote:
He said he was playing hotseat, so I don't think saving and reloading is an available choice.
Didn't see that, must have read the post too fast. I still favor switching, shame you cant reload though

* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old January 3, 2003, 18:18   #10
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 05:36
I would need to see the game, but I would probably switch to Monarchy. Imagine if after the 25turn GA Despot another Civ(s) forces him into a war. Now if he switches governments he'll be stuck in 5+turns of anarchy with no production for new units or stuck staying in Despotism until the war(s) are over. He should try to avoid that possible outcome.
Old January 3, 2003, 18:26   #11
DaveMcW
Prince

One minor point - the Golden Age last 20 turns, not 25.

I wouldn't switch to Monarchy, but not because of the GA. Republic is much better and you will get it soon enough.
Old January 3, 2003, 22:22   #12
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMcW
One minor point - the Golden Age last 20 turns, not 25.
It's a mod.