Old January 2, 2003, 17:49   #1
jchell
Settler

Local Time: 13:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Governor starves her people
I have been playing only sp ptw games so far. I'm waiting for the multiplayer stuff to work itself out before diving in.

Anyway, in the original civ3 the governor does a great job of keeping her people happy and growing. Under PTW, I set the governor to control mood only, and she will do things like, (1) put all of the workers in the hills to get production and the city starts to starve or not put any people to work in a harbor, again starving the city.

With captured cities that were originally starving to control resistors and such, she won't release the workers once the resistors are gone.

Again, I am only controlling mood here, not controlling for production, or science, or anything else.

I have a few saves where this is evident. Gosh, I feel like I'm trying to take over the world using the North Korean Government. How can I get the governor to feed her people?
Old January 2, 2003, 19:16   #2
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 08:37
Choose "Emphasize Food"
Old January 2, 2003, 21:00   #3
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 06:37
Don't use Governors.
Old January 2, 2003, 22:11   #4
jchell
Settler

Hey guys. I appreciate your feedback, but, if the game has governor's, they should work properly. I was hoping that Firaxis was lurking here so that they can add this problem to the "to do" list.

I think a governor that is controlling for mood, should only determine how many elvises are required to keep the city happy, not starve the folks!
Old January 2, 2003, 22:32   #5
WarpStorm
King

Seriously, you should choose one of the "Emphasize" options so that the governor has an idea what your priorities are. Also realize that the governor won't typically switch the allocation until the next turn.
Old January 2, 2003, 22:56   #6
Mazarin
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

I never had this problem...I usually don't emphasize anything and controll the governors by terrain improvements...did you have any happiness problems/war weariness?
Old January 2, 2003, 22:57   #7
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

how do you check if the governor's are on? I have heard that if someone has their governor turned on in a pbem game it could carry over to your game. I want to make sure my cities don't have their governors on.
Old January 3, 2003, 01:19   #8
Willem
Emperor

Just press "G" when you're in city view, the governor's menu will pop up. You'll see right away if it's on. Be sure to check the second screen as well.
Old January 3, 2003, 01:45   #9
Switch
Prince

Yes, I agree that emphasizing should be used to specify what you want (it's pretty obvious, really). However, if no emphasis is set, then the governor should try to keep a happy medium between production, food, and wealth.
Old January 3, 2003, 06:32   #10
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
how do you check if the governor's are on? I have heard that if someone has their governor turned on in a pbem game it could carry over to your game. I want to make sure my cities don't have their governors on.
On the map, if a city has a white box around the population number, that city has the governor turned on. You have to talk to the governor to see was settings you were having it manage in that city.
Old January 3, 2003, 09:07   #11
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 14:37
This is actually the one use of the governor that I make. I have never seen this problem in my PTW games.

jchell - are you using 1.14?

I find that I manage cities by controlling what tile improvements workers build so I allow only enough irrigation to give slow growth. The governor pushes the population up to 6 or 12 and then switches to maximum shields with just enough food to prevent starvation.

One thought. I don't set governors in individual cities, I just set the governor in my capital to manage citizen moods in all my cities.
Old January 3, 2003, 13:03   #12
jchell
Settler

Okay. I am going to try emphasizing food as well as controlling mood and see what happens. At this point in the game (1080 a.d. emporer level, as Hammurabi just learned genetics and is kicking AI butt, ) most of the cities are so big that the governor really has little choice of what tiles to work because they are all being worked.

It is the coastal cities, the mountainside cities and recently conquered dwebes who are feeling the pain of mismanagement, but I can not do without the mood management since it really reduces the number and frequency of rioting cities.

If the problem continues, I will download a saved game for your viewing pleasure.

johnny
Old January 3, 2003, 14:35   #13
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 09:37
jchell:

The AI does not seem to recognize when you have recently built a harbor and will not reallocate a laborer to work the ocean to maximize food. It will asign new citizens to these tiles, but it will not reassign laborers there unless you ask them to do so (hitting the city tile on the city screen will do this). So if your city is starving or not growing you will have to ask the governor to reassign your citizens. I tend to not to have the governor maximize food, I have him maximize production and commerce, if a city is starving or not growing, then I check on the situation myself.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old January 4, 2003, 15:55   #14
Theodrik
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:37
So fire the govenor. Or have the secret police drag him/her out back into the alley and... .Then insruct the replacement Govenor that while it is easier to keep
(% wise), one person happy, lots of happy people are required.
Just click on the happy AND food buttons and place the workers where you want, them, then revert control back to the gov next turn. Check back from time to time.
I run a city status check every 10-25 turns anyway.
Old January 4, 2003, 19:06   #15
Pyrodrew
Prince

Mutiny
I never have good luck with Governors in any Civ patch. How can I say this... they don't listen to me. I gave Governors control for a few turns over an area & when checked up on them (after 1 built a Swordsman in the Industrious Age) most had disasterous plans. When I tell a single governor to Emphasize Food & once the city grows I check it & see the Governor has tossed the new people in the hills instead of the irrigated lands.

I've locked all the Governors up now, but they still stick their tongues out at me...

Old January 6, 2003, 03:01   #16
Quasar1011
Warlord

Woo hoo! Now, when I want to purposefully starve a city (one that I just captured from a civ I am at war with, and want to starve it down to size 1 so it will re-grow with MY citizens ), I can just tell the governor to emphasize happiness! Play-testing to follow!
Old January 6, 2003, 03:28   #17
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Quasar1011
Woo hoo! Now, when I want to purposefully starve a city (one that I just captured from a civ I am at war with, and want to starve it down to size 1 so it will re-grow with MY citizens ), I can just tell the governor to emphasize happiness! Play-testing to follow!
One of the first things I learned about playing Civ3:

Never count on the Governor to do anything right!
Old January 11, 2003, 01:27   #18
Quasar1011
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

Never count on the Governor to do anything right!
What?!?! You mean I have to snatch crusts of stale bread out of the mouths of citizens of enemy cities that I don't want, all by myself? Aaargh! Talk about micro-management! I have an empire to run!!!
Old January 11, 2003, 09:54   #19
WarpStorm
King

I usually use the governors, but I check up on them and override them when they are screwing up. Yes, it takes time, but less than totally micro-managing every decision.
Old January 11, 2003, 17:36   #20
Quasar1011
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
I usually use the governors, but I check up on them and override them when they are screwing up. Yes, it takes time, but less than totally micro-managing every decision.
Which decisions do you over-ride the most? It seems the governors don't work the squares that I want worked, so I have to go in and manually re-set it. Like, as soon as I mine a hill, I want that tile put into production. But the governor won't do so until the city grows by 1 citizen, and often not even then!
Old January 12, 2003, 01:50   #21
Pyrodrew
Prince

Quote:
as soon as I mine a hill, I want that tile put into production. But the governor won't do so until the city grows by 1 citizen, and often not even then!
Your governors must be sharing ideas with my governors.
Old January 12, 2003, 14:26   #22
Quasar1011
Warlord

Governors conferences
Wish I could get a pop-up message like this, if that occurs:
"Your governors are holding their annual conference.
They have many complaints against your ruling style. Plus, their agenda differs from that of your federal government. Do you want to over-ride their decisions, or federalize the national guard and send them overseas to fight?"
That brings a Civ 4 request into being: how about a state or provincial capital building, available once per 5 cities? It would decrease corruption to nil in that city, and have positive affects in nearby cities too. Sort of a mini-Forbidden Palace. Maybe make it available with nationalism. Of course, labels would be cool too, a la Railroad Tycoon. Then, I could name one of my States "Confusion", another "Denial", and so on
Old January 13, 2003, 07:31   #23
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 10:37
I never use governors. The micro-management is hell, but I prefer to manage my cities without their stupid decisions.
Old January 13, 2003, 16:48   #24
Brizey
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

The harbor thing is the worst. It is really a bug.

I use the mood governer because otherwise I am constantly forgeting to check all the cities for growth the next turn.