View Poll Results: Which version of AU 203 are you playing?
PTW 1.14f 10 35.71%
1.29f 5 17.86%
AU Mod 10 35.71%
Not playing 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 14, 2003, 20:03   #181
BRC
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 07:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
As I finish with the Chinese, I put the squeeze on the Aztecs, coming from the North and South at the same time. The Aztec empire falls in 3 turns. As a side note, looking at their lands, I'm surprised they didn't do better. Anyone know why?
I can't tell you what happened in your particular game, but during debug, I noticed that the Aztecs would launch a pre-emptive strike against the Chinese. They would declare war and try to make a push. The Chinese would brush them aside, and then, later on (riders), China would trim them back severely. The plan was for China to hit the English during the early game, the Aztecs to blind-side China, and then China to turn on the Aztecs. This would give China near constant war, which is probably one of their strong points. Persia was supposed to wipe out Russia, although there seemed to a few cases where this didn't happen. As for creating Killer AI's, I think Theseus had the idea. Terrain might make the biggest difference, although I do believe that some civs will perform better under certain circumstances (Babylon in isolation).

Catt and Dom: Great games!! How much time did this one end up taking??

Having never been in full-blown modern era war, I want to know what are important keys, especially when you are behind?? Catt, how were you able to finally control R.I. and the sea around it (i.e. what tactics, with which units, in what combinations).

Quote:
Originally posted by Catt
More to tell when I finish the game, especially the “lessons I learned” post I promised – I turned a critical eye on my own game and found numerous flaws and stupidities.
This I definitely want to see. Finish the Game.
Old January 14, 2003, 20:42   #182
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:41
Quote:
Originally posted by BRC
I noticed that the Aztecs would launch a pre-emptive strike against the Chinese. They would declare war and try to make a push.
This is probably something you did not do in your debug game: I blocked the passage from the Aztec continent to the Chinese lands by placing a Warrior on the Iron isthmus relatively early. Still, the Aztecs had plenty of room to expand into (far more than the Chinese), but did not take advantage of it. They were still founding cities in the middle of the Medieval age!

Quote:
As for creating Killer AI's, I think Theseus had the idea. Terrain might make the biggest difference, although I do believe that some civs will perform better under certain circumstances (Babylon in isolation).
Terrain is definitely the main reason, but it has to be a terrain advantage relative to closest neighbors. If China and Persia had started off next to each other, each would have be weaker overall because of the fighting they would no doubt get into. In my game, the fact that Persia got off to such a fast start (they had 7 cities when I had 2!) meant that they could gobble up the Russians at any time. Of course, it was a mistake on my part to let that happen too early, but that's beside the point.

Along the same lines, Babylon had nice lands and no one to fight, so they could use their trait advantages to the fullest.

Quote:
How much time did this one end up taking??
38 hours, although you can probably shave off around 8-10 of that to my having the game running be me not playing it. Still, it was a monster game, which I forced myself to play well until the very end. Modern wars are long, but surprisingly exciting, if you plan to win by Domination or Conquest.

Quote:
Having never been in full-blown modern era war, I want to know what are important keys, especially when you are behind??
Unfortunately, I was never behind in my game (unfortunate that I cannot answer your question, that is). But here are some strategies that I felt worked well:

1. It is possible to wage war in the time between Replaceable Parts and Motorized Transportation. Stacks of Infantry and Artillery, along with a bunch of Workers, is all you need. Such wars will not conquer the enemy as fast as Cavalry assaults do, but they're critical in keeping the AI down to size. I keep on hearing about AIs having hundreds of units available, making them formidable opponents (see Catt's screenshot of the Bab army). In my game I tried to make sure that the AI was taking losses regularly, so that when the time came for me to conquer them, things would go a lot more smoothly. Getting them to run up against Infantry/Artillery inside Fortresses works really well for this purpose.

2. Panzers are obviously an awesome unit, but it is easy to forget that Panzers and Tanks can attack twice in one turn (for me, at least). This allows you to generate an absurd number of Elites. The trick is to always attack with fresh Veterans first, then attacking the second time when the defenders only have 1 or 2 HPs left. Panzers do this even better, as they can attack once, twice and retreat to safety (usually inside the newly-conquered city), while Tanks will be left in the open if they win twice but do not take out the last unit.

3. Although I've always been a proponent of pillaging during war, you usually do not want to pillage enemy RRs if your goal is to capture their city. Once those rails fall under your borders, you'll be able to use them to ferry your units either to or from the front. The advantage this creates cannot be overstated.

4. Always bombard. I had a stack of 20 Artillery that lasted me about 80 turns in the game. Protect such stacks with an Infantry Army (which the AI will never attack), and make sure you soften the enemy up before bringing in the Tanks/Panzers. Because you can only bombard a different target every 2 turns (bombard, move to next setup spot, bombard again), I highly recommend using two large stacks. In my game I used Bombers, which are in fact more effective. The main reason I kept the Artillery around is that I think with the AU mod changes they counted as military units for purposes of quelling resistance and reducing unhappiness (a nice effect).

5. Cruise Missiles are quite powerful. Although you lose the unit when you attack, one strike is sometimes worth 4-6 Bomber runs. The actual results vary, though, but I'm determined to test them out some more in another game.

6. MIs cannot attack twice. I learned this the hard way.

7. Once MIs are available, drafting those in your core cities and disbanding them in newly-conquered ones is a efficient way of getting improvements up in a hurry (Temples, etc.). This was discussed in another thread, but I implemented it for the first time in this game. Works like a charm, even though it's tedious and exploitative.

8. Boats. Ironclad -> Battleship upgrades is all you'll ever need.

That's all I can think of for now.

Dominae
Old January 14, 2003, 23:05   #183
BRC
Prince

Dom: Thanks.

Quote:
5. Cruise Missiles are quite powerful. Although you lose the unit when you attack, one strike is sometimes worth 4-6 Bomber runs. The actual results vary, though, but I'm determined to test them out some more in another game.
Ok. I am very excited to use these in my next game, but how do they work. Can you move them around?? I hear that we're not supposed to load them onto transports. Can you move them between cities, throw them on carriers, what?? I really want to play with the modern stuff.

Where's Catt's new thread??
Old January 14, 2003, 23:17   #184
Dominae
Emperor

Cruise Missiles move around in the same way that any ground unit does. I'm not sure what happens when one gets captured, or how loading onto transports works (or Armies!). When you want to attack with one, you just use its Bombard ability, which has a range of 4 tiles. You lose the missile after that one attack.

Dominae
Old January 14, 2003, 23:22   #185
BRC
Prince

So you can move them around on your rail network, and fortify them wherever?? How many move points?? Just 1. Thanks.
Old January 15, 2003, 00:04   #186
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Yes, they are just a zero-strength ground unit with 1 movement point and a bombard ability (which uses up the unit). In stock Civ3 you can move them into transports (but not load them from a city, because they don't have the load flag), but in the AU mod we have made them tactical missiles, so they can't be carried by transports at all (the AI refuses to load a unit with the cruise missile strategy).
Old January 15, 2003, 07:40   #187
laissez-faire
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:41
I find cruise missiles to be more effective (albeit costlier) than arties and bombers. The reason being is that they only attack the military units guarding the cities, plus they have the possiblity of a two-, three-, or four- hitpoint punch. A hefty dose of ten of these or so on a well-fortified city will leave a stack of MI's with one or two hit points, a city full of improvements, and a whole gaggle of foreign nationals willing to sacrifice their lives for the construction of communist libraries and temples.

Regarding more killer AIs, China was my last civ to fall. Beijing was guarded by 13 MIs. It took 22 cruise missiles, 2 armies of 2 MAs each and 22 individual MA strikes to bring it down. Great job on the modding, and thanks, alexman, for the answer on the settler airlift question. Makes sense.

I need to go back and check the readme, but I thought I remember reading that bombers were given the lethal water bombardment flag. If so, that was not working as it didn't let me strick ships with 1hp left. EDIT: I see now that the lethal sea bombard was given to fighters only.

n.b. The game took me 22 hours with no idle time and was very exciting.
Old January 15, 2003, 07:44   #188
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:41
What does 'AU' mean?
Old January 15, 2003, 08:43   #189
laissez-faire
Chieftain

Regarding my game, it was not necessarily a nailbiter to the finish. Although I was fighting MIs and MAs with Infantry and Panzers for quite a while, I had the strongest of all civs (Babylon) gracious with me for over 200 years. I never tried anything border-line insane like Catt trying to wrest Resource Isle away from the Babs (China razed a Persian city on the middle bend that opened up oil for me). People warred nicely without lobbing nukes at anyone; and I received a domination victory in 1999AD.

How did communism come in handy? Somewhat handy when drafting conscript MIs. Quite handy for "deculturalizing" captured cities through pop-rush. Very handy for war-weariness (considering probably 100 of the last 130 turns were at war with the world). It is still not a governmental option for me though in a non-AU game, really not even for a scientific civ. The science/money drag is too much.

AU stands for Apolyton University.

The history of the world according to Germany:
Attached Images:
File Type: gif l-f_progresssive_map.gif (228.7 KB, 126 views)
Old January 15, 2003, 15:12   #190
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 06:41
Quote:
Originally posted by BRC
Catt, how were you able to finally control R.I. and the sea around it (i.e. what tactics, with which units, in what combinations).
Actually, I still don't totally control R.I - yes, I control the territory, but I am still getting occasional airstrikes and landing parties, and I simply don't have enough materiel to truly take control of air, sea, and land.

The actual R.I. invasion was thrown off kilter quite considerably from the original plan by two events: (1) a declaration of war from China just before my assault, and (2) Babylon's discovery of Computers with a sufficient treasury to enable massive upgrading. Even though both of these events occurred just before my invasion, I decided to go ahead with it anyway rather than pull back and seek alternative oil sources (until the invasion I had a a wonderful relationship with Hammy, having a constant luxury deal and the occassional tech / resource deal -- Hammy traded me oil for my galleon-transport upgrades -- but I let all deals lapse a few turns before the invasion).

The first event caused my to keep a bunch of artilllery at home and also to slow my planned reinforcements to R.I. The original plan called for most of the arty to go to R.I., and called for immediate additional transport loads of infantry to reinforce our positions. I actually hoped to be able to take all of R.I. with infantry and arty, and to do it pretty quickly. With China threatening, I didn't want to risk moving a second huge stack of infantry away from the homeland.

The second event made me reconsider my goal of taking all of R.I. with infantry. My measley 4 arty bombarded an infantryman guarding a radar tower near the first objective which I then destroyed before assaulting the city. I figured I would need at least 4 infantry to take down 1 MI (somewhat conservative estimate), and hoped that the city wasn't guarded by a stack of MIs -- I got lucky and lost only 2 infantry (IIRC) in destroying a regular MI, and then underneath was only an infantryman and a cavalry (IIRC) -- my losses taking the city were much lighter than expected. I did get a little unlucky in that the harbor was destroyed in my assault.

Until panzers arrived I essentially turtled, fortifying enough troops in the city to prevent a flip, and fortifying the rest in the surrounding tiles. I got a little aggressive and detached a 6 unit infantry force into the mountains outside the city, thinking I would have a look at the other city defenses -- I believed that the Babs had sent what they had available at my forcers on the first several turns, and despite the presence of MI, that the remaining cities on R.I. would be lightly defended and open to a quick strike. Not true, and my entire strike force fell to counterattacking forces.

Until panzers, I was unable to do much but replenish my defenders, bombard the invasion forces being dropped off outside my city, and attacking red-lined enemies with infantry. It took two cycles of panzer production (with a 7-turn gap in between) to generate enough offensive firepower to really push into R.I. With 15 or so panzers, I marched a stack of 10 or so infantry into the mountains southeast of my city -- from there, the panzers (with a movement of 3!) could strike at either of the two southern Babylonian cities - burning 2 movement points to cross forest, the third in the attack. I was surprised (but not very ) to see how lightly defended the cities were -- before the attack, I spent roughly 80 gold to investigate both cities, looking for the easier target. Each had 1 or 2 MI, 1 or 2 infantry, and maybe a cavalry -- but each also had 5 or 6 bombers / fighters. My panzer stack succeeded in taking both cities on the same turn, and since the rails were intact, the infantry stack moved in as garrison and cover for the wounded panzers. Then it was down to just one smaller city which soon fell.

The one useful tactic that it is sometimes easy to forget is to station units on all roads needed to preserve inter-city travel. I was subject to repeated bombing runs and occassional ground forces pillaging, and at one point had one of the cities isolated and unable to be reinforced quickly -- a landing party would have spelt trouble. With a road and/or rail network in place, I could rapidly move all necessary forces to any city threatened by invasion forces. In another boneheaded move, I researched Radio before Flight, thinking that radar towers would be great help. A half dozen turns into my research I realized that I desperately needed some air cover, but I didn't want to waste the accumulated beakers by switching. What really made the move boneheaded was that I suffered (and still suffer) a tremendous worker shortage -- there was no way I was going to sacrafice workers for radar towers -- one of my many mistakes in this game.

As for sea control, I am keeping 3 battleships and a sub fortified in port -- when invading forces get close, my measley 4 arty's bombard and the navy goes for the kill. Plenty still slip through and drop off landing parties, but I'm doing enough damage so I only rarely see stacks of 16 arriving simultaneously. Hammy has belatedly understood the power of tanks, and now most landing parties are a good mix of MI and tanks -- still, occassionally a transport makes the dangerous trip only to drop off 2 units -- not a threat, obviously.

Quote:
This I definitely want to see. Finish the Game.
I haven't had much play time lately (but have had time to post!). It is now 1810 and I am within striking distance of Persepolis (and Leo's) and only a few turns from MA -- at that point, the game should proceed more quickly. Fighting China, Persia and Babylon at the same time has dramatically slowed my progress -- I don't have the industrial strength to hold the line against all three and at the same time do some disemboweling -- with MA, I should be able to do so.

It's been a long time since I had competitive modern warfare, and it's refreshing. But in reality, modern warfare is where I think the AI is at its weakest. Babylon should be able to crush my forces on R.I. -- any human would've done so within a turn or two, but the AI isn't very good at either (1) sea-lifting or air-lifting troops, or (2) recogniziing the threat and stomping it before a base can be established (i.e., moving some of its massive army off of the Babylonian mainland and crushing the invaders on R.I., even on the risk of leaving the homeland a little less secure). The AI also doesn't recognize the threat of 3 move attack units (the panzer is, IMHO, very important in this AU game), so it is sometimes easy to sneak up on cities which are lightly defended but which, to the human eye, are within reach and vulnerable. So while I enjoyed (and enjoy) the underdog feeling of taking R.I., the best tactic employed is really just knowledge that the AI won't do a very good job of countering a decent stack of concentrated force - so even a woefully out-gunned human can attack a much stronger AI.

Catt
Old January 15, 2003, 15:16   #191
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by laissez-faire
Beijing was guarded by 13 MIs. It took 22 cruise missiles, 2 armies of 2 MAs each and 22 individual MA strikes to bring it down.
That's a lot of firepower. Nice game laissez-faire -- it also looks like Persia stomped Russia pretty early in your game -- my game would have been a lot tougher if Persia was on my southeastern flank -- I think mine would have gone more of the way of NorMe's had that happened.

Catt
Old January 16, 2003, 00:50   #192
Catt
King

My game plods along slowly. Not much time to play the past couple of days, but I'm getting in half a dozen turns each day.

I made peace with Babylon just to end the bombardment on my newly conquered territories on the main continent while I went after Persia -- but not before I got to see a Babylonian paratrooper airdrop onto R.I. from Babylon proper -- not a great tactical move, but was great to see an airdrop (which I've seen only a few times before, the last many months ago!).

With Babylonian peace I was able to bring some naval forces out of the safety of R.I. ports. Of the subs pictured, I have one. Hammurabi sure must believe in the power of submarine warfare! My sub is stationed just NE of the coal mountain -- just north of the interloping Persian destroyer / transport team.

Catt
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	babs love subs.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	34021  
Old January 16, 2003, 09:01   #193
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

As Catt says, this game goes slowly, a couple of turns a day take a half an hour.

BTW, if you don't attack resource island, Babs eventually will start to bombard the German mainland from there, although a few jets on air superiority will make it expensive of them to do so.

My oil city just flipped to China and I guess it's time for an invasion.
Old January 16, 2003, 21:15   #194
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
WOW!!!!!

I'll be picking up again over the weekend... what great AARs!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old January 16, 2003, 23:57   #195
BRC
Prince

Glad to see you enjoying yourself.

BTW, congratulations. You were right. The best way to create Killers is through terrain.
Old January 17, 2003, 10:05   #196
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

How I won before even going on the offensive.
1. Settler by SW furs
Placement on Liepzig took me 30 or more minutes to decide, but I finally opted for the site next to the lake for the same reasons I would choose a river, but inland instead of coastal - I wanted to be able to block this isthmus with a single border bump, which worked.

2. The Great Library
This one allowed me to upgrade enough knights for 4.

3. Charity
I gave away an insane amount of Techs, Luxuries, and Resources or sold it for ridiculously cheap prices, merely to ensure that England, Azteca and Rome stayed in the game so I wouldn't be the easy target. This worked out well. England died out during the 2nd or 3rd war, but Rome is still around at Replaceable Parts, with 4-6 cities and constantly renewing deals for Iron, luxuries, and buying discount-priced tech.

4. Leo's
This (usually unimportant) Wonder probably is the turning point, allowing my stifled nation to keep up (somewhat) militarily without needing to continue to grow. See 5. The unexpected Golden Age this Wonder triggered allowed me to build my FP at an acceptable speed.

5. My first Sino-German war
This was with Knights and was 100% passive-aggressive. I was afraid Mao was coming into my territory to attack my woefully weak military, so I did the Chokepoint Shuffle for enough turns to build Leo's Workshop and upgrade to Pikes and a dozen or fewer Knights. When England joined me, they lost their two chokepoint towns, leaving me enough uncultured area to sneak a town in between England and China. "Peaceful" expansion was another key for me.
The war also netted me a Leader which became an Army, enabling the Epic and Academy later. Had I not been in a GA, the I'd have rushed the FP instead.
The fact that all 3 of my allies made peace after fewer than 10 turns gave me at least half my GA for infrastructure building instead of knights.

6. "Peaceful" expansion
Adopting a passive-aggressive stance, and joining a longterm MPP/ROP with Xerxes proved to be far more advantageous to me than anyone else. First, in the screenshot below, you can see how strong it can be to have a settler or two handy anytime anyone goes to war nearby. I spent a huge chunk of my treasury in most of those towns rushing Libraries and Barracks, and then Temples, with the occasional Wall rushed if necessary. I really should drop a couple more settlers down on each side of Hastings and rush culture.

7. Smaller, smarter military
I've actually kept my entire "offensive" military in the Brandenburg-Nottingham-New Berlin corridor, building a Fort on the Iron Mountain near Canterbury and placing Cannons with Pikes/Riflemen as a foil against China. While I did keep 2 Cavalry near Stuttgart until Persia razed China's fur settlements up there, as soon as Riflemen became available, the Cavalry were restationed in New Berlin. My entire military has been unbelievably small for the entire game. Currently, at its largest, I have 4 Artillery, 4-8 Infantry, 1 Army(Knight-Knight-Cav) of Elites, 2 Cavalry.
My Artillery/Cannon were positioned in the perfect spot to soften up incomers, and with 2 fortified defenders in a Fort, noone would attack them. Now that I have Rails and have added New Frankfurt to the map, I often have to detach Cannon/Artillery to N.Frankfurt, but they always return to the Fortress.
Canterbury, Nottingham, and Hastings have all changed hands half a dozen times which probably explains why Canterbury has not flipped to me yet. Nottingham flipped some time ago and has not been attacked since.

8. Sino-Persian Wars
These have pushed China, Persia and Russia into a "buyer" position on tech. Only Babylon leads me, and I recently caught up due to...

9. TOE + Hoover
I actually got it. A leader hung around Berlin for over 20 turns to ensure this. The long wait is mostly because I always forget the extra tech between Steam and Scientific Method, so my prebuild Military Academy was off...way off. Regardless, I got TOE, which led to Hoover Dam, which one is probably not that important, but I like to deny it to the AI. This with the Ironworks in Hamburg gives me a Wonder city.

I think I've won without conquering any land...
...my "peaceful" expansion has opened up an easily defended gateway to conquering Tientsin, along with its Ivory and a small chokepoint at Chinan.
...Wonders, Great and Small - Great Library, Leo's Workshop, TOE, Smith's, Ironworks, Shakespeare's(in FP city) and I might get Universal Suffrage, though that won't matter much.
..."seller" position in tech. Currently making 459 gpt from other civs(mostly Babylon).

Knowing that I have to go get oil makes it tougher, and I'm playing as though I don't know of Resource Island, so my first offensive will be against the Chinese to take Ivory at the very least.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	ithinkiwon.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	34184  
Old January 17, 2003, 10:18   #197
Dominae
Emperor

ducki, you've exploited a interesting angle on the whole scenario by expanding peacefully during wartime (this is not a bad thing). Thumbs up for for being innovative!

However, the game is far from over. Going through with Communism and a Domination/Conquest win is the point of the scenario (not being a peaceful builder!), so get out there and bonk some heads!

Dominae
Old January 17, 2003, 11:28   #198
ducki
King

I intend to, Dom, it's just a matter of timing.
If I can keep Persia and China at war, I plan to wait maybe until Panzers.
If not, it's about time to switch now.

My plan is, keep plugging away at infrastructure(factories, courthouses, police stations, marketplaces and hospitals where meaningful) and start an infantry-artillery buildup, both for garrisons and for beating on China.

However, if Persia and China make peace and return to Democracy, they'll outpace me and my Infy-Arty will not be as strong, which means I'll have to fight a bloody war against tanks then or a bloody war against Riflemen+Cavalry now.

Either way, I'm skipping Cavalry(I know, I know) and heading straight for the grunts. With Hoover and Factories (and Ironworks) I should be able to get Panzers up pretty quick once I have oil.

My big fear, aside from a Sino-Persian peace leading to the loss of my tech lead, is a Sino-Persian peace leading to me being the new target - I want to pick the fight, not get picked.
Old January 17, 2003, 13:14   #199
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

A pretty bad loss
Okay... I've finally been able to set aside some time for 203, and I met with a crushing defeat long before reaching Communism.

My game really served to teach me how much I rely on early tech-extrortion wars. Without being able to get those early techs from a neighbor I wasn't able to even have discovered LIteracy before the other civs had a good ten, twenty turn lead.

I didn't have a suitable city for pre-building the wonder either, because everyone was churning out settlers, workers, and defensive military units.
I did, however, have a great deal of land thanks to the taking full advantage of the chokepoints, and a number of new cities that were just about to become productive when the attack came...

China marched right up to my cities and began their offensive. They attacked with a few archers and maybe ten warriors, which I would have easily defeated with my swords, spears and archers, except I did not forsee that China would be using the "Warriors Defeat Anything" strategy.

They wreaked havoc on the western isthmus and I was forced to surrender a city in the east for peace. It was that or annihilation.

I was allowed to build maybe fifty turns until the second quarter of the middle ages (everyone else was starting the last round of techs for this era) when Chinese riders began another offensive.

I had to buy a ROP from Persia, which was also at war with China, and their knights were able to quickly move to the west isthmus to do battle with China, but their forces were overwhelmed and I was losing a city each turn.

THe defeat was decisive and humiliating, and has made me realize how much I HATE that the human is forced into certain behaviors (you can't really call them strategies) to keep up on any level above regent (I was on Emporor).

In the end: No wonders, half an age behind in tech and falling, unable to defend own territory. Not a useful game to study Communism, but maybe a lesson to me on how not to play the early game.
Old January 17, 2003, 13:19   #200
BRC
Prince

Thanks for reporting Fosse. Sometimes the game just decides to hit you when you are at your weakest. Catt had a similiar thing happen in the last AU game. If you want to, go ahead and play again. I'm sure you'll get a different result.
Old January 17, 2003, 13:59   #201
Dominae
Emperor

Re: A pretty bad loss
Fosse, I'm sorry to hear about your game; like BRC said, you've probably learned something, so it is not a "loss".

Quote:
Originally posted by Fosse
THe defeat was decisive and humiliating, and has made me realize how much I HATE that the human is forced into certain behaviors (you can't really call them strategies) to keep up on any level above regent (I was on Emporor).
What behaviours are those? I feel like I dictate how I play the game, but maybe I've been playing Emperor so much that I'm not sure whether my "behaviours" are in reaction to the AI or not.

Dominae
Old January 17, 2003, 14:20   #202
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ducki
Either way, I'm skipping Cavalry(I know, I know) and heading straight for the grunts.
IMO, this is one of the best moves you can do in AU203, and is not a bad plan in any game with the AU mod. I'm still undecided as to which is better: Cavalry, or Industrialization. If I feel like I can survive long enough, I tend to research only the required techs and hit the Industrial corridor as quickly as possible. This sets up an huge advantage against the AI. On the other hand, a dedicated beeline to Cavalry usually seals the game in short order. I would venture that in games where the game is already in hand (i.e. you know you're going to win), Cavalry is the best bet, while in the ones where further work is required, skipping Military Tradition is better.

Dominae
Old January 17, 2003, 15:08   #203
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 05:41
Fosse.

It sounds like you didn't do enough diplomacy in the early game.
Old January 17, 2003, 15:12   #204
Bluefrog
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:41
Blue da be deeba da bah
PtW AU Mod, Monarch.

I posted a more thorough early-game report earlier in this forum...page 3 I think, if anyone is interested. I'll recap here, tho. And, I'd be more colorful here, but I've only got a few minutes left on my lunch break.

Early expansion: I made my way to the chokepoints rather early. On the western leg, I placed a city directly north of the little inland lake. This would, in time, be my FP city. On the eastern side of things, I made it south of the fur bed, with Russia squeezing a settler/spear through on a galley. China ended up destroying England, and I snuck a city in peacefully with some gems, just west of one of the Narrows. Persia went to town on Russia, and razed the city (it was only pop 1) that was in the furs. I quickly claimed that land as well.

Things went smoothly, and peacefully. I traded luxuries to keep China and Persia happy (Rome soon fell to Persia), but for tech, I went for Literature, then stopped researching. On a gamble, I snagged the GL, and made the largest tech jump I've ever had with it. During this time, I built up libraries everywhere; culture, and borders, for now, and as a foundation for another tech jump after Education.

I was able to snag the Sistine, but missed out on Sun Tzu's and Leo's. I'm kind of glad I missed Leo's...even though I lost some shields, I believe, it would have triggered an earlier GA than I wanted. I kept wars going between China and Persia, China and the Aztecs, and Persia and Babylon, as best I could. Nobody took huge losses, though the Aztecs ended up a full age behind everyone else. In the Industrial Age, my Iron Works city ruled all. I didn't miss any wonders I tried for, and I tried for most. I was going to wait for MT before switching to Communism, but the oil conundrum through that out of whack.

After observing the map, I decided that Resource Island was the best place for me to attack. Babylon was a couple of tech behind me, and I didn't think they could defend the island properly. It had 4 coastal cities on it, completely forested and railroaded, partly mined. I was a little torn...we had good relations, good trades, but in my mind, it would have been better at this point to piss them off, as opposed to getting China or Persia upset with me. I landed some calvary and infantry, took the first city, and started pumping out panzers on the mainland. I ferried some of these over, and in no time Resource Island was in the hands of its rightful owner. Sued for peace, and was even able to resume my luxury trades with Babylon.

After the first Panzer attack, Germany entered its Golden Age. Hm, I wonder what I built? Hordes of panzers. The Blue Crush rolled over on China, taking the former holdings of England, as well as a few Chinese cities. After this scuffle, I warred on Persia, and when all was said and done, I controlled the Narrows. On China's side, I controlled up to the chokepoint west of the Gems. I stopped a couple of cities into Persia proper.

I had considered leaving Babylon alon the remainder of the game, but I didn't feel like keeping up the trades for those luxuries. At this point, I had 6 under my own management, but...greed set in. The dawn of airports really aided me in my assault. The Babylonian navy was tough in my game, too. I don't like big naval battles, so while I sent some battleship/carrier teams over, and the initial landings were with transports, as soon as I had my beachhead on the mainland, complete with an airport, units came in by plane. At this point, I was producing MA, and shipping them over between 6-8 a turn. I mobilized just before the war, and the war took longer than I anticipated. I never took heavy losses, and I probably bombarded a little too much, as I easily had them on the ropes with sheer numbers, but I wanted to save as many MAs as possible. After I had conquered that continent, we made peace, and I left my mobilization.

During the mobilization, something key happened, and would happen again later, as an indirect result of this long mobilization. One of the former-Persian cities in the Narrows flipped back to Persia. There were very few foreign nationals inside, and that city had no Persian border anywhere near it. I haven't read too much about the formula for flipping...not too into the number-crunching as some here. I had no idea why this happened, but I came down to two possible conclusions. First, Persia could have used propaganda. I used it a lot, myself, after I got Synthetic Fibers...didn't see much need of any more techs, so I was gaining over 1000 gold each turn. Had to spend it on something, so I bribed other cities over to my side. I mainly went for size 4 or less cities, and even then most took several tries. However...I don't think Persia did this, as they were pretty poor at the time, and the city in question was size 6. Unless the AI gets major discounts on espionage, I doubt this was the case. The other option was the simple culture-flip. But...their borders weren't anywhere near it! The only possible way this could have happened was if they leapt far ahead of me in culture, which may have been possible...I was in mobilization for a long time, and culture gains were halved. I don't know. Later in the game, one of the former Bab cities flipped back to them, same circumstances, except I was no longer mobilized. I may have to dig through savegames and see a few things, but...it was just odd. I'm hoping the AI used espionage, but their treasuries before and after the flips didn't reflect that they did, at least not at the same cost I would have had to pay.

At any rate, I was able to wipe Persia off the map next. They didn't have many MI, and my MAs did some pretty efficient pillaging. I pillaged everything up around their capitol, even about 4 tiles deeper into their territory. I didn't want reinforcements making it to the front with any degree of regularity, and it was much easier taking down the occassional MI on an open grassland than fortified in a metropolis. I had Persia down to three cities on the far southeast Tundra, when...

China dropped a nuke on my Iron Works city, out of nowhere.

That impressed me. The Babs declared war on them, Aztecs were already at war with them, but neither of these civs could do much against them. This was the first well-placed nuke attack I've seen from the AI. It would have been better, had they had a tansport of marines nearby to claim the city (and its wonders), but I was able to fortify it again very quickly. It never was quite the same, but I didn't really spend too much effort directing the workers up that way. The game was nearing its end.

I finished off Persia with the troops already down there, and turned my wrath on China. I didn’t have any ICBMs built up, but by the time I was ready to mount an offensive, I had a few. Beijing wnt down in flames, and my MA quickly razed the city. I razed several of their cities, not caring at all about rep at this point, and eventually broke down their cultural barriers. I sent in 3 settlers, planted cities to link up culturally, and in 1959 I achieved my first Domination victory. Typically, I’m more of an early warmonger/late SS builder. This was a nice change.

Things I learned.

1. I probably should try this on Emperor. I’ve yet to try that difficulty, but this should have been tougher than it was. A large part was the Chinese/Persian disdain for each other, and my ability to exploit that through diplomacy.
2. Unless your goal is to disrupt trade, pillaging in modern warfare isn’t really worth it. My goal was, mainly, to cut off reinforcements, or slow them so I could pick them off in killing grounds. While this worked, it didn’t work as often as I would have liked. As others have noted, after RRs, the AI sends all of its offense to the front immediately. Once these are gone, their cities are usually sitting ducks, and the bulk of their reinforcements will come via drafting, anyway.
3. The AI doesn’t used RRs efficiently, not at all. Sure, they get plenty of troops to the front, but it doesn’t move around its defensive forces that well. Humans, if under siege, will cycle out their redlined defenders to a backwater city, and move the healthy defenders to the city in question. Also, the AI won’t underdefend its civs deep in its territory to fortify the border cities better, which is disappointing. Not a whole lot we can do about that, from a mod perspective, I don’t believe.
4. Rushing, in Communism, has a decidedly different flavor than goldrushing. Poprushing isn’t that efficient in the late game, namely because post-industrial improvements cost so many shields, poprushing them is prohibitive. It’s much, much better to disband units. Also, you get 20 shields for each pop. In gold rushing, this would cost you 80 gold. A pop point is worth so much more than 80 gold, and toss in 20 turns of unhappiness, it just doesn’t make a lot of sense. However, not being able to spend gold on rushing leads me to…
5. I like the fact that I’m able to amass an obscene treasury, and utilize the Elite spies more frequently. I took cities, tech, and troop locations from the enemy a number of times. However, the AI didn’t take advantage of this, because they were constantly low on cash once they went to communism. I built up 30,000 in gold in no time, once I stopped researching. I knew I didn’t want any SS techs I didn’t need, but the AI was still researching as much as it could, despite the fact that more techs were, in essence, a moot point. So, leaving poprush in place gives new opportunities for the human, but the AI doesn’t build up a treasury like humans can. It would behoove us to change Communism to gold-rush, as much as it would change the flavor. If the Espionage screen wasn’t so clunky, I would have bought more cities than I did, and the AI probably doesn’t try that often.

All in all, this was a fun, fun game. The major drawback was the length of each turn once you got into a modern-day warfare. I logged 39 hours on this one, though 8-10 of those can be knocked off the top due to the game being on, but I was of doing something else.
Old January 17, 2003, 15:34   #205
ducki
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae

IMO, this is one of the best moves you can do in AU203, and is not a bad plan in any game with the AU mod. I'm still undecided as to which is better: Cavalry, or Industrialization. If I feel like I can survive long enough, I tend to research only the required techs and hit the Industrial corridor as quickly as possible. This sets up an huge advantage against the AI. On the other hand, a dedicated beeline to Cavalry usually seals the game in short order. I would venture that in games where the game is already in hand (i.e. you know you're going to win), Cavalry is the best bet, while in the ones where further work is required, skipping Military Tradition is better.

Dominae
Well, I'm sure I've won, and I could have been shoring up my forces with Cavs instead of Infantry(only replacements after the first round of Conscriptions, just to see it work), but since Cavs are dead end and I knew I wouldn't be making a huge Cav offensive, it seemed a waste of shields.

I did beeline Mil. Trad. until Education was discovered and it got me a few extra techs by giving away a few.

I'm sure I'll win, but I can either make Cavs or more Infantry/Arty that I can upgrade/keep to the end. With Rails, I don't need 3-moves, I need better defense until I attack.
Old January 17, 2003, 15:40   #206
Dominae
Emperor

We're agreeing on the same points ducki. I'm talking about beelines to MT or the Industrial age, not a preference of Infantry over Cavalry (although that does play a part). Given that you still need to seal things up, Cavalry are not a valid option anymore.

Dominae
Old January 17, 2003, 16:14   #207
Catt
King

@ducki - nice game - very creative. The "support some punching bags for China and Persia" tactic was excellent. Now you've got to finish it though!

I finished mine early this morning. Almost 50 hours, probably 1/3 of which was "game on - not playing" time, but modern warfare takes time. MA proved (as expected) to be the key to a quicker win. I eliminated both Persia and China before they had MI or before they had a chance to upgrade much infantry (I ran into a few conscripts, but suspect they didn't have cash for upgrades anyway). In the meantime, Babylon took the Russian territories in the Narrows. I eliminated Russia (rather, put Catherine out of her misery) by taking Kaifeng -- a city more or less due south of Berlin between the SW and SE legs of the German empire. That da*n city had been bothering me the whole game, as it clearly needed to be German, but I had resisted taking it earlier out of respect for Russia -- Germany and Russia had enjoyed millenia of good relations and trade agreements, but unfortunately the diplomatic and military agreements, while a huge blessing for Germany, were the ultimate undoing of Russia. A shame

I had to enter into an RoP with Babylon to get to Chinese cities in former Azteca -- I did not want to spend a bunch of time building transports (I had lost most in trips to R.I., and used leaders to rush a couple for Persian island hopping, but they were a long ways off. With 13 turns to go on the RoP and only Germany and Babylon remaining, I attacked without RoP raping but of course breaking a deal (reputation soiled? perish the thought ) and took all but 2 size 1 Babylonian cities on my continent - I simply couldn't reach the other two cities on the first-turn attack. Taking the 5 Babylonian cities that I did resulted in a domination victory (finally).

One more post to come later (probably this weekend) to highlight a few things (if I can find them) that I did well, and to highlight a bunch of things I did very poorly indeed. Below is the winning histograph screen with the replay minimap superimposed. I'll ask the same question Dominae asked -- can you spot when Germany discovered Communism?

Catt
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	winning compiled.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	34220  
Old January 17, 2003, 16:21   #208
Dominae
Emperor

Bluefrog, we seem to have learned essentially the same things from this game! I just have to say: good work, and move up to Emperor!

Catt, well done as well, especially the bit with R.I. Looking forward to your post-game reflections.

Dominae
Old January 18, 2003, 03:11   #209
laissez-faire
Chieftain

Great games, ducki and Catt.

ducki, you seem to be in the most control pre-Revolution than any of the games reported here. I say chalk it up to your Peaceful Expansion. Nice job.

Catt, just recently I picked myself up off the floor after reading your account of R.I. Invasion several days ago. Unbelieveable.

Old January 18, 2003, 13:07   #210
ducki
King

I think my biggest advantage is that I'm still a builder at heart. Warmongering is still something to experiment with, not a way of life.

That gave me a big advantage when being forced to play the builder for 2 full ages.