Old November 29, 2000, 11:57   #1
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 04:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Returning....sorta....:-)
Hello again everyone....::sheepish smile::

I'm sorry for the extended absence, but death DOES have a way of keeping a fellow from the keyboard....

Anyway, after tangling with the grim reaper, and spending a lot of time with myself, re-balancing my life, and making a few changes, my Brother Googlie brought it to my attention that my name had been cast about 'round here lately, so I thought I might duck my head in for a moment to say hello.

I've been browsing the board this morning trying to catch up...WOW....seems like I've missed quite a bit....it's gonna take me forever to catch up with the Spartan Chronicles alone, to say nothing of the rest of it, but that's a good thing....a very good thing indeed.

Ahhh, and I saw where the City of Hope had been bumped back to the top recently....very cool...even cooler since I've started writing on it again. I'm not gonna POST anything til I get it totally finished this time tho, but I am writing again after a very long vacation from it and from my muse. Just had to....rearrange my life a bit I suppose.

At any rate, I thought I'd create a new topic here, to see how everyone was doing soooo....how you guys doing?

-=Vel=-
(sortakinna back in the saddle)
Old November 29, 2000, 12:44   #2
Aredhran
Prince

Local Time: 05:53
Hey Bud, good to have you back - even briefly !

Hope you'll find the time to return here often, your contributions are always appreciated.

Aredhran
Old November 29, 2000, 14:09   #3
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Vel, how you doing?!?! I'm new here - a couple of months, anyway, and have heard many tales of your fabulous exploits here - I am honoured to say the least!

I just hope you'll stay around a while - now I have spoken with the great Velociryx it makes it all worthwhile, of course....

Old November 29, 2000, 14:10   #4
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Vel,

The legend returns! Welcome back!! I’ll leave the hugging to Rynn, though.

Hydro
Old November 29, 2000, 14:16   #5
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

*Salutes the returning Master of SMAC*

btw, just DL'ed your guide version 3.0 - good work, but I might have to charge you for the ink. 75 pages is a helluva lot.

------------------
The best way to avoid errors is not to do anything - Dr Beardon (Maths)

("Something is worth doing"=>"It is worth doing properly")<=>("Something is not worth doing properly"=>"It is not worth doing") - A truth first expounded by Murgatroyd
Old November 29, 2000, 14:30   #6
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Mark, Hydro, Chowlett, thanks guys! I had no idea that my little thread woulda drawn so many responses so quickly! (and an aside to mark13: Excellent! I'm glad to hear that the hefty bribes I paid to everyone to invent remarkable stories about me was a good investment! Guys....another check will be in the mail shortly! ::grin:: )

-=Vel=-
Old November 29, 2000, 15:02   #7
Misotu
Emperor

Local Time: 05:53
Hi there Vel, good to see you back.
Take it easy ...
Old November 29, 2000, 15:05   #8
Velociryx
staff

::kissing the Lady's hand::

Hello Mis, and yes, I'll *definately* be taking it easy...nothing like a little scare like that to make you reevaluate...sheesh....

It's good to see your name here....

-=Vel=-
Old November 29, 2000, 15:07   #9
Helium Pond
Prince

Velociryx, good to see you coming around. Your guide helped my playing incredibly. You, as they say, the man.
Old November 29, 2000, 15:16   #10
VoodooChild
Warlord

It's good to your name on a new post again

I think it is important that you understand the impact that you have on others such as myself. Not to get too deeply into it, after my father's death I was amazed by the multitude of stories my family heard of how he had touched peoples lives. In an online environment such as this, having that understanding can be even more difficult. I have been haunting this board off and on for about two years, and in that time your discussions and guides have given my game quantum leaps over my first few efforts.

While I'm at it, I would like to thank everyone for their contribution to this board and to my growth as a AC player. Whether we agreed, disagreed, or just rapped, by sharing knowledge and experiences insight can be gained.

Peace Love and Happiness,
-Joel
Old November 29, 2000, 16:15   #11
Velociryx
staff

Thank you both! It's too bad we're not all living in the same area, we could run down to the little Mexican place down the street and while away the evening with some serious Margaritas!

And Voodoo, your compliment leaves me speechless. I guess I never really stopped to consider the impact per se....I only know that I enjoy writing, and spinning out my little stories and analogies and the like, and that here, in this place (and a few others as well) I've found an audience who seems to enjoy them, and that is perhaps the greatest gift you can bestow on ANY artist, regardless of type. So, for anybody who happens across this thread now, and in days to come, let me just say that if the essays, guides, and stories I have left here have helped your game, brought a laugh, or perhaps a tear (in some cases), then I'm very pleased, but more importantly than that, I'm honored to have been given the opportunity to create, and to have those creations so eagerly anticipated by those who frequent this place....

-=Vel=-
[This message has been edited by Velociryx (edited November 29, 2000).]
Old November 29, 2000, 16:29   #12
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 21:53
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Velociryx, great to see you back! As with virtually every poster here, your strategy guide has helped me immensely as has your upbeat and thought-provoking posts.
Old November 29, 2000, 16:35   #13
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Vel, I think the reply count says it all - 16 replies in a little under 5 hours. Not bad going.

Still, what amazes me is that someone who knows so much about this fabulous game can transmit it so regularly, in such an upbeat way, *and* come across as a really nice guy. I know I speak for everyone here when I say....

WELCOME BACK!!!!
[This message has been edited by mark13 (edited November 29, 2000).]
Old November 29, 2000, 18:08   #14
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Would have been 17 replies if I had been checking the boards sooner.

Vel,

I think the masses have spoken you are/were sorely missed.

Welcome back bud. Hopefully you'll be passing this way more often.
Old November 29, 2000, 18:25   #15
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 22:53
Indeed, I seldom reply to these kinds of threads, but in your case I'll make an exception.

Your guide was written with the kind of depth and attention that stunned me when I read it. I couldn't believe that somebody would spend that kind of time, for no money but for the enjoyment of people most if not all of whom you've never met.

Great to see that you're back
Old November 29, 2000, 19:25   #16
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Vel,

At the risk of spamming, I want to second Voodoo's sentiment. One thing at sets Apolyton apart from other forums (existing and defunct) is the sense of fair play and good will that exists here. Our forum moderators have a good hand in this, of course, but there are some folks who are natural leaders, people who have gone out of their way to be friendly and helpful to others. Vel, you are one of these people (there are many others, too - a great forum isn't made by one person), and you probably don't realize how many people you have touched in your efforts. But beyond this, what has made your contributions truly excellent is your insight into SMAC, and the hard work you have poured into dispensing your knowledge to the unwashed masses. I know this wisdom has helped me, and others, immensely. But, as if that wasn't enough, you also have a gift for prose that is outstanding. For those who haven't read Vel's fiction, please do so. And if you are inspired there is much more on his web site.

Well, that was a little thick, but certainly deserved.

So, once again - welcome back.

Hydro

Old November 29, 2000, 20:18   #17
Tau Ceti
King

Local Time: 06:53
Vel! Welcome back! I hope you are here to stay... you have been missed in the past months.
Old November 29, 2000, 22:33   #18
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 23:53
Vel,

From a Cheiftain to a King, it is an honour to welcome you back. I look forward to getting your insight into the nuiances of this great game. Your stratagy guides have improved my game play immensely. I especially like the pause:breathe:metagame discussion.

Again: Welcome back!
Old November 29, 2000, 23:03   #19
Enigma
Prince

It is nice to see you back, Vel. During the summer a lot of people seemed to leave, including you. Some of them have come back- I think that AC is a game that kinda draws people back because it is so engrossing and interesting. I stopped playing meself for 3-4 months but have just been playing the game recently and going to these forums.
Old November 29, 2000, 23:40   #20
Blunderdog
Warlord

Local Time: 20:53
Hey, great to see you around again!
Old November 30, 2000, 01:03   #21
Velociryx
staff

Thanks for breaking out the ol welcome wagon, Red...I had no idea just how much I missed this place til I started writing that little post.

-=Vel=-
Old November 30, 2000, 01:05   #22
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 21:53

Big Hug, Brother. Welcome back

Old November 30, 2000, 01:06   #23
Rynn:
ACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

'Course you'd prolly prefer the hug from Rynn

Old November 30, 2000, 01:09   #24
The_Progenitors
Chieftain

::Emotion: Pleasure ::
Old November 30, 2000, 01:14   #25
Velociryx
staff

::big ol' group hug::

Rynn, Googlie, even those mandibled Progenetors....absolutely! Hugs all 'round! And thank you!

-=Vel=-
Old November 30, 2000, 01:38   #26
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Yo! Vel!

Test
[This message has been edited by jimmytrick (edited May 06, 2001).]
Old November 30, 2000, 08:17   #27
Velociryx
staff

Wow....I just got back into work this morning and couldn't resist the temptation to head back this way, and when I did, I found a whole HOST of new messages on this thread....with a welcome like that, how could I do any less than stick around for a while? So....I think that pretty much convinced me.

Thank you, everyone, for bringing me back here. I'm almost embarrased to admit it, but I've actually not PLAYED a game of SMAC/X since about a month before my little incident, but my memory is still sharp, and I can at least hold my own in conversation....and of course, now that I'm back here some form or another, I guess I'll have to break out the game once in a while....you know, purely in the name of research and all that....

-=Vel=-
Old December 1, 2000, 04:55   #28
Zonk
Chieftain

Just a little more spam, if you please.

I, too, would like to welcome back Vel and also to thank him for his contributions to this forum, in the way of the guide and helpful posts.

I also want to thank all the other experienced players
who take their time out to help others. If I started naming names, it would sound like an acceptance speech at an awards show! I do want to mention Mark, though, and thank him for him responses to virtually every thread, no matter how intelligent or not the subject is.

I learn something every time I come here. Thanks All.
Old December 1, 2000, 09:08   #29
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Zonk, wow, thanks - although I am just thankful for everyone else's input when I came here a couple of months ago. Ultimately, of course, all this leads right back to....you've guessed it....Vel's strat guide, which has provided me with countless tips in both SP and MP gaming alike. All the information I have been given, and the small amount I have absorbed , has been passed down through the various generations of SMACers, and I am only thankful to be able to carry that on....
[This message has been edited by mark13 (edited December 01, 2000).]