Old February 22, 2003, 23:14   #31
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 08:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Thanks for the code Pedrunn - the file has been uploaded to my site, but as an add-on. I won't be able to devote the time to playtest it though.

Sorry I haven't been around - between file work for Empire and Candle'Bre, I haven't had much time to devote to CTP2 (and Apolyton) lately, and am probably going to move on to other things.

CTP2 is only on my hard drive because of the upcoming WOTR update. I haven't played the game for close to 6-8 months now

In my mind, Cradle is officially done (v1.35) as it stands now.

Players are encouraged to alter the files to suit their own tastes - these files can be posted and shared too.

Once Ben completes the SLICs for WOTR, I will give it a test run and post the files, then give it a more thorough play, but my rate of play is very slow, so if I waited to post the files until after I finished, it would be months. Ben has been diligent in testing the files though as he works through the SLICs, so I am trusting that there will not be any major problems.

I will poke my head in the door still, but this is somewhat of an official farewell...

Again, it has been a pleasure to be here and to be part of the creative process with a lot of gifted people.

Keep your eye open for Empire and Candle'Bre. I can assure you that the screens will be good.

Dave
aka hexagonian
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Last edited by hexagonian; February 22, 2003 at 23:47.
Old February 23, 2003, 00:46   #32
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 15:42
Bye Hexagonian...

I have not yet tested the Cradle Mod but I know I will... someday.
Old February 26, 2003, 11:02   #33
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 14:42
Farewell and adieu Dave.

Its been great fun watching Cradle grow and flourish, and I have no doubt both Empire and Candy will benefit greatly from your input.

Keep that door ajar, you never know when it might be needed.

Old March 1, 2003, 14:15   #34
Col
Settler

Local Time: 13:42
Has anyone else encountered a problem with crashes? This happens to me regularly at around 3000bc (I've played 3 games so far and its happened every time). As far as I can tell it isn't linked to a particular advance/wonder/building/unit as I've been progressing at different speeds on each occasion, and I don't get a tga error message or anything, the game just quits to windows no matter how many times I reload it.
I've changed debugslic to no so am at a bit of a loss, not to mention annoyed as I was having a great time with the mod until it crashed.
Any thoughts/help?
Old March 1, 2003, 17:54   #35
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Does the game crash on a particular AI turn?

-Martin
Old March 1, 2003, 21:06   #36
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Col,
This has been reported before...mid-game crashes in 1.35, with no indication what is causing the problem.

Unfortunately, the reports have been few and far between, and I have not pursued them. I had posted a request for problems a while back, and since there wasn't any reports, I haven't given it much thought.

I'm not sure just how many people are playing CTP2 now too - I do not play CTP2 anymore (other than giving the WOTR files a play when I get everything set up for that), so I'm not testing the Cradle setup.

I'm going to suggest that you download 1.34 from my site and give that a try. If you have no crashes, then the problem file can be narrowed down. (I would also suugest not using the Aggressive AI files that have been posted - these were posted because some players wanted them, but these may also be the culprit.)

The main changes in 1.35 are cosmetic (and Slic-related to boot) and not tied into gameplay issues. 1.34 was balanced in gameplay via changes in numbers in the txtfiles (which usually does not cause gamecrashes), and several problem SLICs were also removed from 1.32.

Unzipping 1.34 over your setup should overwrite all the 1.35 files that have changed. If not, do a complete uninstall and reinstall everything up through 1.34.

You will have to start a new game.

Report back any problems with 1.34.

What version of Windows are you using?
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
Old March 2, 2003, 15:20   #37
Col
Settler

Local Time: 13:42
Hmmm . . .

I'm using windows 98 and am not using the aggressive ai files.
I have now downloaded version 1.34a and will try it out unzipped over 1.35. I'll try to report back before too long when I've had time to play it.

Martin - re ai turns: not as far as I know, but I'll double check.

btw - am shocked to hear ctpII/cradle not widely used anymore, what is the alternative? Is there some fantastic tbs out there I've not heard about?
Old March 2, 2003, 16:21   #38
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Col,

you mean the game is crashing while it is your turn? And not once you hit the end turn button. Well last week I encountered also a bug that made the game crash, finally I found with the cheat editor a city with something like an invalid unit. I was able to bomb it out. The game would crash if you open the unit manager of that civ or try to select it.

For mod usage, well we could need here some more traffic but the mods are still downloaded.

-Martin
Old March 2, 2003, 19:22   #39
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Martin,

What mod were you using? And when you say invalid unit, exactly what do you mean by that?

This is confusing, because this type of crash in Cradle (early-mid game - illegal operation, blah, blah, blah) has not been reported, except in 1.35.

The gamefile that was sent to me with the same problem crashed on one of the AI turns after I had hit endturn - in fact I had pinpointed which AI it was. I had opened the AI civ and nothing looked out of the ordinary either, but I also did not look for anying unusual regarding units.