Old January 4, 2003, 10:55   #1
antmanbrooks
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What's the difference with US & UK versions?
I simply don't want to wait until Feb for HoI, If I buy a US version over the net will I have any problems playing it. What type of problems am I likely to have if any?

Plus has anyone else bought a US version for their UK system and if so where from?

Thanks.
antmanbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2003, 15:20   #2
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 06:43
I doubt there's much difference other then one box has dollars on it and the other has pounds. They might have changed the name of a provience or two but if there is a difference you could always download the U.S. patches and keep playing.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Oerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2003, 15:33   #3
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 15:43
I don't know. I thought that those would be the same.
Heresson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2003, 17:40   #4
antmanbrooks
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:43
hmmm.... if there is very little difference, why do they do two versions in the first place?

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but does it have anything to do with slightly different operating sytems between the continents?
antmanbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2003, 17:59   #5
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

We in Scandinavia got the game only a week or two after the US release! And it's not the US version, but an scandinavian version with English language. Go figure...

It helps to be the neighbour of the home country to Paradox!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2003, 18:16   #6
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:43
Quote:
Originally posted by antmanbrooks
hmmm.... if there is very little difference, why do they do two versions in the first place?

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but does it have anything to do with slightly different operating sytems between the continents?
To my knowledge the difference in versions is more to do with marketing, production and distribution rights than it is to do with software or OS mechanics. Although this can mean incompatability (such as with DVD regions) this is almost certainly not the case here as:

a) I've never had, or heard anyone else, have such trouble.
b) Given Windows 9X, 2000, ME & XP (UK version) use American English I wonder if there is even any difference in the two OS's at all.
c) I see no reason why companies would want to ditch the whole concept of compatability in hardware, OS and software. Why build unneccessary barriers?

Anyway, you may want to ask Grumbold, according to this post he bought the US version and it seems all is OK.
Old January 4, 2003, 21:10   #7
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 09:43
This has to do with different publishers publishing on different continents.
Old January 5, 2003, 07:09   #8
Dauphin
Deity

Is there a reason why a publisher would choose to delay release a couple of months, compared to publishers in other countries?
Old January 5, 2003, 08:41   #9
Oerdin
Deity

The only thing I can think of is translation related delays in countries like Germany or Italy. That of course wouldn't apply to the U.K..
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old January 5, 2003, 08:41   #10
Oerdin
Deity

The only thing I can think of is translation related delays in countries like Germany or Italy. That of course wouldn't apply to the U.K..
Old January 5, 2003, 09:00   #11
Dauphin
Deity

Great old (spamming) chestnut
A double post eh?
Old January 5, 2003, 10:46   #12
Oerdin
Deity

Yep, I like to think of it as moving that much closer to emperor.
Old January 6, 2003, 09:59   #13
Grumbold
Emperor

There are no in-game differences between the versions so the US version will install and run. There may well be differences in the copy protection used and the quality/quantity of additional material in the box.

Paradox had to strike a deal with Strategy First to afford to make the game at all, so naturally that is the one that is released first. All the other deals are bonuses so its up to each publisher how fast they can gear up to distribution. Koch Media are to be thanked for backing Paradox when presumably other publishers wouldn't but I have to say they're one of the slowest I know. The only up side is that the UK version will ship with the most recent patches incorporated. In this case I would expect that to be 1.02 or maybe even 1.03 if they are sticking to the February date. Personally I bought the US edition via www.strategic-plus.co.uk as I always do when there is a long delay or where I'm not conviced that all the patches will be produced simultaneously (or ever) for all versions of a game.
Old January 6, 2003, 15:14   #14
Oerdin
Deity

Speaking of patches isn't version 1.06 supposed to be coming out soon?
Old January 6, 2003, 15:57   #15
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 09:43
Speaking of patches isn't version 1.06 supposed to be coming out soon?

It is.

Oerdin, don't make me PCR you.
Old January 6, 2003, 16:13   #16
Oerdin
Deity

The official site still only lists 1.05 as being the latest patch. I heard they were beta testing 1.06 but that was like six weeks ago.

BTW The double post was accidental. I just thought it would be funny to turn it into a joke.
Old January 7, 2003, 07:40   #17
The Pioneer
Prince

1.05? I thought that it was 1.02! I checked the site (www.paradoxplaza.com) and it still is 1.02. It is 1.05 for EUII. Am I looking at the right site?

So long...
The Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2003, 13:40   #18
Havard
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pioneer
1.05? I thought that it was 1.02! I checked the site (www.paradoxplaza.com) and it still is 1.02. It is 1.05 for EUII. Am I looking at the right site?
Yes. You are looking at the right site. For some reason someone decided to start talking about EU2 in the middle of a HoI thread...
Havard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2003, 15:00   #19
Dauphin
Deity

The Spam Viking is responsible for that non-sequitor.
Old January 7, 2003, 15:11   #20
The Pioneer
Prince

Ok, does anybody know if there are any plans for another patch for HoI?

So long...
The Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2003, 13:14   #21
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Yes, there are plans. Paradox is, after all, a company who gives support. EU2 will get a last patch soon, nearly one year after the release. HoI will also get one, but they wont give any information yet, since they say that things can be changed untill the last minute. When the 3rd patch comes out, it will be good, however. Just look at the bug list at the official forums!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2003, 18:27   #22
Grumbold
Emperor

Yes there are a lot of items listed as fixed in the bug forum so we should get a lot in 1.03. I'm hoping it will eradicate the last of the true "bugs" and leave us with the inevitable balancing tweaks and the new feature requests to form the bulk of any further patches.