Old January 7, 2003, 11:29   #31
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Oh man, Terror from the Deep is just crapolarity. Play the first one, much more fun.
Old January 7, 2003, 14:29   #32
Raion
Prince

Local Time: 13:44
The first one, and some day I actually play it on my old computer, the agents usually end up getting killed easier at first.

The aliens are neat though.

UFO:Aftermath -- may not be as good as a regular X-COM game since they really can not call it or do it like X-COM. Publisher's rights to the game.

Oh, well!

It was touch and go for UFO:Aftemath for a while there, but now again its back to being made.

Don't know if it will have the Julian Gollup and brother touch to it, but he may be an advisor for the game.

Money drives the game, I guess, and that will always be the case for all games, but the classic games, they should want to publish, just because they are 'classic' games.

Back to running the agents through the Police Station. Got quite a few weapons.

Also I had before pick up one of those toxin guns at Marsec or somewhere, but no ammo for it.
So essentially early in the game, it is quite useless!

Wondered what it was for, though.

Back in a previous game, I knocked down the Cult of Sirius buildings completely, and ended up with a negative 5200 score or something like that!!

Add a little more difficulty to the game, and start with a negative score.

Well, it was fun, though!
Maybe, knock down half of the City, but the companies do get angry with that!!

Its only a computer game!!
Old January 7, 2003, 17:31   #33
Raion
Prince

UFO: Aftermath is looking good and the story line seems to be unnerving, so with the Planet Scape and such, it may turn out to be - remembered, such as X-COM is.
Old January 7, 2003, 22:57   #34
Urban Ranger
Deity

You can't really play XCOM just in a city, no matter how big it is.
Old January 8, 2003, 06:14   #35
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
You can, it just isn't anywhere near as good as being the protector of an entire planet.
Old January 8, 2003, 06:19   #36
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 14:44
And it did have the advantage that I could play it on my PC.

UFO: EU I played on my Amiga.
Old January 10, 2003, 16:53   #37
muxec
Prince

Local Time: 16:44
You are offtoping.
The two mising files i got via http://xcom3mapsfor.narod.ru/maps/index.htm .

Do you think, that e need special subforum about X-COM series?
Old January 10, 2003, 23:10   #38
Urban Ranger
Deity

Not for now.
Old January 11, 2003, 06:05   #39
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Perhaps wait until we get at least one thread to 500 first.
Old January 11, 2003, 07:02   #40
Urban Ranger
Deity

Aftermath looks good, and that biomass could turn out to be an excellent addition.
Old January 11, 2003, 07:16   #41
DrSpike
Deity

What were those really really huge aliens called that populated the later spaceships you shot down? The ones that took bloody ages to kill.
Old January 11, 2003, 20:19   #42
Skanky Burns

Assuming you mean from Apocalypse, it is most likely the Megaspawn.
Or perhaps Psimorphs. They are fairly big too.
Old January 11, 2003, 23:33   #43
DrSpike
Deity

Ah yeah the megaspawns.......they were tough.
Old January 12, 2003, 09:13   #44
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Bah! none of the aliens where tough. Nothing can stand against a firing squad of 12 soldiers with machineguns/disrupter guns. They'd usually die before they even finish walking out the door.

Do It Ourselves
Old January 12, 2003, 09:21   #45
Skanky Burns

Overkill...

A squad with shields and a couple of dozen stun grenades are rather nifty. Just drop a few grenades at their front door (of a ufo), wait for them to walk out, then pick up the stuff they drop. Top up as needed.

If your guys aren't in the alien's direct line of sight, they won't even fire at you before getting stunned, and as a bonus you get lots of nice research specimens.

Of course, this takes about 5 times as long to do as storming the vessel with toxigun-waving lunatics soldiers.

I miss the nice ufo designs of the original though. The tiny scout ship (which for a few months I though was just an oil-well in the farm's back-yard), to the massive battleships, which I enjoyed putting a hole in the roof and storming the ship from the top with my flying soldiers. Those were the days.
And I needn't mention tanks.
Old January 12, 2003, 17:03   #46
Raion
Prince

I might have been looking at the wrong folder. I tried to install in Windows 2000 ( it may just work in Windows 98 which I also have on my computer) but then I saw those files, but I think they were in a different folder.

I am sometimes too busy to thoroughly check out game files, so I probably looked at the wrong folder, and that ended up with 58UFO.

Well, sorry about that.

I still think that I was looking at the Units folder, whatever it is.
Old January 12, 2003, 20:05   #47
Skanky Burns

Re: Help: X-Com3: Apocalypse
Quote:
Originally posted by muxec
People in my brief version of XC3:Apo directories "59Alien1" and "60Alien2" are missing. If you have the full version of the game please send me these directories (ZIPped/RARed). Thank you forward.
My game doesn't have any files like that. What directory are they supposed to be in?
Old January 13, 2003, 07:41   #48
Juggler
Prince

in the Maps folder IIRC
Old January 13, 2003, 08:10   #49
Skanky Burns

Mine only goes up to 58UFO8. And worked fine (when I was running '98).
Old January 14, 2003, 13:46   #50
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
I miss the nice ufo designs of the original though. The tiny scout ship (which for a few months I though was just an oil-well in the farm's back-yard), to the massive battleships, which I enjoyed putting a hole in the roof and storming the ship from the top with my flying soldiers. Those were the days.
And I needn't mention tanks.
Oh, yes, yes. And you didn't need to worry about blowing things up most of the time. Even if you did, you didn't have to pay for the damages.
Old January 14, 2003, 14:02   #51
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Oh, yes, yes. And you didn't need to worry about blowing things up most of the time. Even if you did, you didn't have to pay for the damages.
Hehe yeah.......killing aliens with impunity the way it should be.
Old January 14, 2003, 14:47   #52
Raion
Prince

Yes, that's all mine go up to is 58UFO8 in the Maps folder, but then when installing in Windows 2000 (actually the install program hung up and it is not installed nor works) I just saw something although it was fast that looked something like 59Alien something up to 61Alien something but it was fast, but now nowhere in the folders do I see anything like that.

??????

Anyway I get an error message when trying to install in Windows 2000 Professional, about an instruction and the Mouse hangs up and can not press Enter to install the game. Oh, well, it runs even with FAT32 in Windows 98SE on my machine.

Don't see the files though now. But did see something similiar when files where flying by in installation or trying to install the game.

That did not and still has not gone well in Windows 2000.

Jump through hoops and leap over tall buildings in a single bound!!

Compatibility -- that is what Microsoft says.
Old January 14, 2003, 14:53   #53
Raion
Prince

UFO: Enemy Unknown I have on my old computer, as that Geoscape just flew by and its even hard to keep going in it, to down a UFO.

I should be playing that game, on my old computer, which actually lets the game run at a speed that one can play it in.

Having the old L2 cache not work and putting in the old 133 mH AMD instead of the upgrade processor (which also does not work anymore) helped that game to actually run.

I suppose I could also play Ages of Empire, but I thought that I use them for a frisbee instead.

Old January 14, 2003, 17:47   #54
Skanky Burns

I know that XCom Apocalypse tries to directly access the cd while running, which Win2k and XP don't like, so you basically have to no-cd crack your game just to make it compatible. It might be a problem if the actual install crashes however.
Old January 14, 2003, 22:29   #55
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 15:44
Well I took a look on the CD there are those two Directories in../maps but not on the HD with full install.

UFO:EU
What was up with the Alien Bases though? I had baaad graphic glitches that still haunt me in my Dreams...
Old January 15, 2003, 17:54   #56
Raion
Prince

UFO: EU had a patch, so that can still be downloaded, but if one had a later CD of it, I think it was included.
I have it around here, perhaps, somewhere.

But since I have a later CD, I don't need it, but I have not finished either game, yet!
Old January 15, 2003, 19:04   #57
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 15:44
Really? I haven't finished it when I bought it but as i found it on the Net and reinstalled I did.
You need to Beeline to some Technologies else the Game gets much harder.
in particular the Plasma Techs& the New Ships Firestorm and Avenger :=) the new Transport wasnt that great except that you could leave on any Side of the Ship :=)
Also many seem to Skip Techs like Heavy laser Gun/ Laser Ship Gun/Laser defense & such.
Of course its also easier to catch a Sectoid Commander than a what where they called? the Green Ones? something with M. i believe..
Old January 15, 2003, 19:19   #58
Raion
Prince

http://www.chipsbits.com/cgi-bin/ord.../XCOMC.IR.html

X-COM Collector’s Edition. Graphics are different than mine, and so is the box, that I bought.
?? This should be the one with DX6.1 on it, although it was not advertised with that when I
bought it. Actually, I only paid $9.99 for it, maybe since the price was marked down. All three
run with DX6.1, but with the first two, one must set the graphic card Performance all the way to
the left side, to turn off Direct Draw and Direct 3D acceleration with it, or run dxdiag.exe which
is a program usually in the C:\Windows\System folder that one can get up anything about DX and
what is playable on your computer through Direct Play with newer games, and turn off all or none
of the acceleration of the graphics card.

Don’t really know if they actually have it in stock.

Fixes:
http://www.xcomufo.com/xcom3fix.html

Downloads and Editors:
http://www.devisraad.com/xcom/apoc.htm

Looks interesting:
http://www.xcomufo.com/xcommain.html

Xenocide: Remake of X-COM ??:
http://www.xcomufo.com/index.html

All from the public, I guess.
Have to go now!
Old January 16, 2003, 00:58   #59
Skanky Burns

Oh, and thanks to this thread, I have reinstalled XCom Apocalypse and are now playing it again.
Old January 16, 2003, 03:17   #60
Raion
Prince

And finally, since I should be playing the game instead of helping others on the other forum, I guess:

Also the first two games run in FAT32 because I just tried it with the Collector's Edition which uses the Windows' drivers for the mouse, CD, and Sound Card.

In ms-dos mode or starting a game from Windows using ms-dos, one has to have ms-dos drivers for the game. Those usually were on the computer from Windows 95, or the installation program may contain a program for ms-dos installation of your sound card, CD-Rom drive, or mouse drivers. (Try the folder on the Windows 98 CD for old ms-dos programs called something like oldmsdos or olddos.
Ms-dos program are included on the Windows 98 CD. You have to copy them.

One person had an XP computer, and was playing the first X-COM and wanted to slow it down. It's on another thread on this forum but the website for the slowdown program that runs in Windows (to slow down supposedly any game that runs to fast in Windows) and is called CPU Killer 2.0 version last time I looked at the website is this:

http://digilander.libero.it/robyrobo...cts/index.html

and I see version 2.05 is for sell. This program he was using was the demo that only runs for 20 minutes, so he restarted the game every twenty minutes. For $15 or so, any game running too fast in Windows is suppose to be able to be slowed down by this program. I guess for first-person shooter games, perhaps, but I do not own any of them.

If ms-dos mode or restarting the computer in ms-dos, then 16-bit CD-Rom drivers for the CD is needed, sound card drivers are needed and mouse drivers are needed, and when going back to Windows, Windows deletes all of that just like a program starting on a thread in regular Window type Windows programs.

So, its just the Collector's Edition with Direct X version 6.1 reprogrammed got easier to use, and I have three computers that that collection will run on. I have to slow it down for the first two games of X-COM, if not a slower computer to use, but there is the slow-down program another person used in Windows XP.

The other links are for getting the game to work in Windows 2000, or XP, or info about crashes.

Earlier computers may or may not quite be 100% IBM compatible, and all one could do is throw up their hands at it. Most people though could play the game, and games just worked that way in ms-dos.
Maybe a patch would come out, but there is none for X-COM 3, and X-COM 1 was patched to version 1.14 or so. And the second one, I never got into, but the Collector's Edition contains all the updates ever patch into the games.

That is all!

I do not own this forum just helping out.
I should be playing the game, time to hook up the old computer.
As I remember, I was losing soldiers in the first game, in a city that was terrorized by the aliens.

The first game, although lacking has a certain charm to it, and most people remember that as being the game they wanted again but upgraded.

UFO:Aftermath is coming out in the third quarter this year, not X-COM but will be similiar, I hope, in a sense to X-COM 1, but it is not X-COM.
No flying vehicles though, but that is here:

http://www.ufo-aftermath.com/pages/headquarters.html

or fansite here:

http://www.ufoaftermath.co.uk/

Whew!
Done!