Old January 4, 2003, 22:34   #1
master on high
King

Local Time: 13:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Cspl
I still need help with CSPL to link 4 TOT maps together in a certain way. Have there been advances while I was gone?

*hint*
Old January 4, 2003, 23:08   #2
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 10:45
Bloody mohfe?! WTF?! Where have you been man!
Old January 5, 2003, 02:48   #3
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 09:45
This is better if you do it without CSPL... using round maps and some kind of impassable border terrain. The AI doesn't know how to deal with CSPL's borders like it does if you use them in the real game.

Look at Kyokujitsu as an example.
Old January 5, 2003, 02:59   #4
master on high
King

*shivers* I really have no desire to redo an entire map, and it was meant to be a multi-player game anyway. The AI wouldn't have to cross maps.

Old January 5, 2003, 14:20   #5
DarthVeda
Emperor

Well if you want the AI to cross borders, you could use some moveunit commands from the event file.
Old January 5, 2003, 15:31   #6
master on high
King

But mating the maps can still be done? I would be forever obliged if someone would tell me how.
Old January 5, 2003, 20:15   #7
DarthVeda
Emperor

Works sort of like this...

You need to dedicate one tile to an impassable border region (unless you want people to cross the border of one side of a flat map to the other). The problem with this is that aerial units can still fly over this. The AI does make use of this unless you coat the impassable terrain with Airbases. Generally, the AI avoids airbases like the plague with their aircraft.

You set your map up like it were a flat map, except its round with the border region starting at (for example) 0,0 and going straight down.

You draw in your 'flat' map one and then proceed to the next. You repeat the process except you move the border region to the right or left (depending on which way you are going with this) by one (it may be two) squares.

You would get it so that the left (or right) edge of your first map lines up with the right (or left) edge of the second map numerically. This is because the transporters transport directly from one number to the next.

I can't remember exactly how the transporter relationships work but you have to consider that too when you set this up (I think there might be an sleague article covering this). Since you can have four maps and three transporter relationships, this works out nicely as a connector between the four maps.

The overall effect is that on each map, the borders move over by one (or two?) so that you can connect the two maps with a transporter next to the border region.

Again, you can look at Kyokujitsu as an example of this in action:

http://darthveda.tripod.com/kujitsu.html
Old January 6, 2003, 02:36   #8
master on high
King

Yes, yes...I understand the basic principles behind that. But I want to leave my maps like this, because if I use that method, then the units can only cross onto the other map in one direction, either from the East to the West or from the West to the East, and not in the reciprocal fashion that I would require.

So how would I go about using CSPL to attach the maps together so that each time a unit moved over the right side of one map, it would move to the corresponding tile on the left side of the second map?
Old January 6, 2003, 08:34   #9
DarthVeda
Emperor

What, do these four maps together form a globe?
Old January 7, 2003, 01:15   #10
master on high
King

Two maps are made up of the Eastern Hemisphere (one at Sea level and one for the Atmosphere), the other two are made up of the Western Hemisphere (ditto). I'd like each altitude to be able to be used as simply one large map, with both an East and a West Hemisphere.

Units moving from one altitude to the other would have the appropriate "transport" characteristics.
Old January 9, 2003, 15:33   #11
DarthVeda
Emperor

Well, it's still feasible if you use the method I described, but your 'border' will have to be large on one map (say 4-8 spaces depending on how this works) to allow for the overlap from one of the maps
Old January 9, 2003, 22:15   #12
master on high
King

I understand how that would work (A kinda diagonal median between the two would allow the units to cross from one area to the other). That wouldn't make it necessary for me to redraw an entire map. That would also make it easy to avoid bi-polar transport lands (*yech*, those are awful). And *thinks*, I might even be able to pencil that in with the existing scenario file that I have now.... *ponders*

But that still means I have several choke points on either map for the other civ to wait with fairly large units without the other civ knowing...blech. hmmm...I only have 12 portals, right? That would mean 6 on one side and six on the other...*shrugs* I don't need any for transporting between the atmosphere and sea level. Maybe there wouldn't be any such choke points...This I shall continue to ponder...*thinks*
Old January 9, 2003, 22:18   #13
master on high
King

no no no no...it won't work that way. I'd need to shift the entire map over. *sighs* There's no CSPL solution?

Or...can I hex the maps from flat to round? That would work

I can't find the Hex Paper, does anyone have a link or a download?

Last edited by master on high; January 9, 2003 at 23:34.