Old January 10, 2003, 00:10   #31
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 07:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Don't be sorry about that, Centauri. Many people confuse my nick - it's really no big deal.

Any way, back on topic: I am glad that you decided to write another story eventually after you finish this one. I know some people write one story, and then are gone, never to be seen again. It is always sad to see a person who has created good pieces of writing, leave.

We'll all be looking forward to more goods from you

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, I have just finished my story, Postmortem: Two Thousand Years Later, and would appreciate if you read it and tell me what you think. I am going to eventually write another story, and could use some constructive suggestions on improvement, or maybe what was particularly successful, and what was not effective.
Spore page
Old January 10, 2003, 00:31   #32
Centauri18
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 06:46
I'd be glad to read it.
Old January 10, 2003, 06:15   #33
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 14:46
Maybe he's heard the rumours vovan and was trying to write voyeurism but got it wrong

Just kidding, great stuff again Centauri18
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old January 10, 2003, 07:35   #34
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Local Time: 22:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Centauri18
I'd be glad to read it.
Sure ya will.

Centauri dude, this is a real wing-dinger of a story.
Old January 10, 2003, 13:11   #35
Centauri18
Prince

I read it. Left a review and everything. Vovansim, (there, I got it this time) it was a good story. And thanks to everybody for their support in this one.
Old January 10, 2003, 13:48   #36
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Quote:
I read it. Left a review and everything.
Thank you, Centauri18
Spore page
Old January 10, 2003, 17:26   #37
Centauri18
Prince

The Colony War
[The World Before (the light green areas are unclaimed territory):]

New Washington Junior Hgh School, 2003 A.D.
"So we're finally getting into an actual war in class today, huh?"
"Yeah. It's probably gonna take the whole class time. Might even take till tomorrow."
"Robbie, I think we really need to read the chapter this time."
"I like hearing Mr. Grant tell it - he's a pretty good storyteller. So are you going to the dane this weekend?"
"Yeah. I'm just not sure if Spring River will want to go out with me."
"Spring River? The Iroquois exchange student? She's... wow, where to start? Wow!"
"That's what I said. I keep wondering if she's interested. Well, are you going?"
"I'm thinking I'll go alone and pick up a girl whose date won't dance."
"Where did you learn to dance?"
"Lessons. Mom insisted. She's an immigrant from Celtic Ireland, remember, and the Celts have an old saying: 'Never give a sword to a man who can't dance.' So I can dance."
"I never knew that about your mom. What about your dad? I never really met your parents."
"Well, Dad's from Scandinavia. The capital... Trondheim. He came here because he wanted a good education for his kids. 'You have an American education,' he told me, 'and the world is your oyster.' So I figure if I go to school, get good grades, the world will be full of opportunities."
"Which is why you put up with math."
"Yep. Aren't your folks immigrants, too?"
"Sort of. My dad is Russian. My mom's from up North."
"Iroquois-Canada?"
"Not that far north."
"Oh, right. New York, maybe?"
"Yep."
"How is it up there?"
"Cold compared to here. It's a good city, though. Crime is lower than ever, and for New York, that's saying something. Crime's almost nonexistant now."
"Huh."
BRRRRRIIIIINNNNNGGGGG!
"Good morning, class. I trust you didn't find the homework too difficult. No? Good. Now, today we come to a very important chapter in American history. It was when America revealed itself as a military power. America also made friends out of the Vikings, English, the Carthaginians, and the Celts, all of whom have contributed citizens and military assistance - where needed - to America in its hour of need. We helped these nations out in the World Wars of the twentieth century."
"The Colony War?"
"The Europeans called it that for centuries. Particularly the Egyptians and the Romans. The French also got involved, glad for a chance to face off against their old rivals, the English."
"So it was the new NATO against France, Rome, Spain, Germany, and Egypt."
"Yes. As you no doubt know, America called this the War of European Imperialism. But half a millennium later, it was given a new name..."
"World War One."
"Exactly."

Life was good for America. They had extensive maps from Spain, from Rome, and even Egyptian maps of Africa. The Americans struck up an alliance with the Zulu, a race of warriors led by a man who styled himself Shaka of the Zulus. Shaka was originally a despot, and Lincoln taught the young nation about Democracy, but Shaka decided to make his nation a Republic. His people were not too thrilled with Democracy. Shaka as absolute ruler seemed to work for them.
Expansion had slowed down, as we felt we'd gone far enough for the time being, and the industrious Americans started building.
A Great Stock Enxhange was set up on Wall Street in New York - eventually almost all American and Iroquois cities had Stock Exchanges and watched their treasuries grow. Your parents probably follow the stock market. Adam Smith's Trade Company set up shop in Boston and brought in more revenue from trade tariffs; a monument celebrating Nelson's circumnavigation of the Earth was set up in Richmond; a Controversial Theory of Evolution was brought forward in Los Angeles (it was disproven, but it really stimuated the scientific community), a Heroic Epic was written in Chicago - a widely read novel about the Mexican War that actually inspired military officers to be at their absolute best; and the art of Battlefield Medicine was perfected in Los Angeles where, let's face it, that kind of response time was often needed in those days. Also, a man named Issac Newton, son of immigrants from England, built a great University in Washington, in the suburb of Georgetown. In Washington, the 19th Amendment was signed into law. giving women the vote. Universal Suffrage was achieved.
The great Iron Works built in Anchorage was the envy of the planet, a great center of production.
People lived longer in America than anywhere else in the world, and the educational system produced smarter people. People didn't have to be short-lived to be smart, after all.
Cities around North America existed in an almost perpetual state of celebration in honor of either Lincoln, Hiawatha, or both in some places.
People also joined the military. America's military was the finest in the world, and its six armies of new tanks often paraded through American cities and towns on the Fourth of July, the day the thirteen tribes were united by Washington.
General George Washington was often there, happy to help pay tribute to his famous ancestor.
That particular day, a great monument to Washington was dedicated in Washington City, just across the Mall from Congress.
It was also on that day that the Avenger-class ironclad Phoenix (named for the city in Arizona, not the mythical bird) sailed into Washington Harbor, with a passenger - Christopher Columbus.
Lincoln and Hiawatha were in the Oval Office, discussing the parade, when Columbus burst in, flanked by Secret Service Agents. Next to him stood J. Edgar Hoover, head of the CIA's International Espionage Division. Both had grim looks on their faces.
The two leaders immediately rose to meet them.
"What's going on?" Lincoln asked.
"I bring the most dire news," Columbus said. "I have just arrived from Europe. And Rome has issued... straight from the Pope himself..."
"Spit it out, man!" Hiawatha bellowed. In Europe, if it came from the Pope, it was something absolutely huge in those days.
"War," Columbus said simply. "Rome, Spain, Egypt, and even France are declaring war on NATO. It is to be a war of epic proportions."
"We can handle them," Hoover said. "But just in case, we need allies. We need allies badly."
Lincoln thought for a moment. "Who is closest to us?"
Hiawatha spoke up. "I know that one. The Celts have colonized parts of Greenland, and that's close to my territory. The northern parts are practically uninhabitable for them, so they aren't moving. They have signed a peace treaty with Iroquois-Canada."
"Why didn't you tell me this sooner? We could have sent diplomats."
"It slipped my mind, I assure you. They are led by a man named Brennus. He is a monarch - it is Europe, after all. We also have ties with the Zulus in Africa to deal with Egypt."
"Anybody else?"
"Through the Celts in Ireland," Hiawatha continued, "and even the ones the English absorbed into their fold in Scotland, we can get in touch with Queen Elizabeth of the English. She made an enemy of Rome when after the church would not allow her to divorce her husband, she formed the Church of England, the first Protestant church in Europe. Through recent reforms, it resembles more and more the church system here than the Catholicism England abandoned. None of the old traditions."
"And they managed to hold off a huge invasion by the Spanish recently," Columbus said. "So the Spaniards hate them, too."
"So why would they join us?" Lincoln asked.
"The old American adage," Hoover said, "I believe it goes, 'The enemy of my enemy is my friend.' I think they would join us."
"And through the Celts in The Netherlands," Hiawatha said, "we can get hold of the Vikings. They have close cultural ties with both the English and the Celts. The Viking Democracy is a constant thorn in Europe's side. Prime Minister Ragnar Lodbrok would be happy to help us."
Lincoln nodded. "Send envoys to Trondheim, Entremont, and London. Is there anybody else?"
Hiawatha and Hoover looked at each other. "Hannibal," they both said at once.
"What?"
"Hannibal," Hoover said. "Hannibal, king and leader of Carthage. He owns most of west Africa. We could also get in contact with Shaka Zulu. He could almost certainly keep the Egyptians busy."
"Or they could roll right over him," Hiawatha said grimly.
"He would be willing to buy us some time. He has horsemen and knights and those deadly old Impis."
"I thought he would have upgraded those," Lincoln said.
"Well, if it ain't broke..."
"Don't fix it. I understand. Won't the Pope look for more allies?"
"France is still Catholic, and Consol Joan of Arc might try to help out," Columbus said. "Russia keeps to itself, and Asia does too. The Russians are still recovering from the brief Mongol takeover so long ago. Rome might enlist Germany."
Lincoln stood, walking to the window and looking out over the city. "So if we fail to secure allies, we will be attacked by nearly all of Europe. They could overwhelm us with sheer numbers."
"They found out about you from Catherine. A priest managed to talk Catherine into revealing her maps of Alaska."
"Why are they doing this?" Lincoln demanded.
"Because they believe that this continent belongs to them. Because America is made up at least partially of what the Europeans declare savages, and also because America is not exclusively Catholic, they feel that they have reason to declare war. The riches of America are just too much to resist for the Pope and his vast coffers of gold."
"Are they so rich?"
Columbus nodded. "Julius Caesar is just a puppet these days. Roman Italy is a theocracy these days."
"They feel they have the mandate of God to declare war on us so-called infidels. They know we house Muslims," Hoover sighed.
"What's the problem with that?" Hiawatha wondered. "Oh, yes. European xenophobia."
"We will have to respond," Hoover said. "The time is now, Mr. President."
Lincoln took a deep breath. "Contact our generals. Have the newer recruits here to defend America if they manage to send troops to our shores. Prepare troops to head south into South America. Inform the Settler Corps that we will need cities built. Tell the Worker Union that we will need the jungle cleared. We must fortify South America. Tell Washington, Sherman, and Lee to prepare to head for Europe. And send our envoys to all these potential allies. Also, tell the factories currently producing wealth and the Iron Works in Anchorage to mobilize. The colonists might get here before we can rout them in Europe. America will become the Arsenal of Democracy."
The Secret Service agents scrambled to get word to the Pentagon, and to tell the CIA to pull their agents out of Rome, Paris, Madrid, and Thebes. And they sent word to the agent in Berlin to pack his bags.
The world would soon be at war.

The Vikings were in at once, especially after they heard that Rome might call for Germany to get involved. President Ragnar Lodbrok (affectionately called "Old Hairy-Britches" by his people) loved American democracy, and got into the war mainly because of what his people wanted. You see, the Vikings wanted revenge for continued German attacks on their homeland and even on their colonies in Iceland over the last few decades.
And they knew of Rome's hatred of their policies and hoped to show Rome what they could do.
The Celts were all for it as well. Lincoln had knoiwn they would be. A first-century writer wrote of them as a race that lusted for war, but that was only partially true. In recent years they had become mainly peaceful. And they were far from being savages. Their technology was quite advanced compared to what the ancients had said of them. Their alliance with the Vikings - Brennar saw Ragnar as a "kidred spirit" - required them to offer at least some assistance in the war. And America would also hand several settlements in the Caribbean over to Celtic settlers, and some technology.
Hannibal received the emmisary well. Carthage was all too happy to face off against Rome, its old rival for millennia. Carthage had almost conquered Rome, but they managed to stop him. Hannibal hoped that this would not happen again.
Now the Romans knew Carthage as "Poeni," a deriviation of the word "Phoenician," and the source of the Roman name for the Roman-Carthaginian Wars: the Punic Wars.
Carthage was out to make a name for itself, and if Hannibal got to take a chunk out of Egypt before it was all over... so be it.
Shaka and the Zulus were the most eager. NATO equipped them with technology to create musketmen. That was all they could do right then. A sudden explosion in Zulu technology might have prompted the European alliance to take pre-emptive action. The Shaka was afraid of being overrun, but any Zulu refugees were offered a place in the new settlements in South America, and the Shaka agreed.
NATO changed because of the new alliances. THe North American Treaty Organization became the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
As for England, some serious negotiations took place. England wanted Ironclad technology, and they got it in return for American control over New Liverpool in the Sandwich Islands.
You kids might know that city better as Honolulu, and the Sandwich Islands as Hawaii.
[OCC: Hawaii really used to be called the Sandwich Islands until the Americans took control and gave the island chain back the name the natives had given it.]
As predicted, Rome convinced Germany - even though it was a nation that had adopted Protestantism, specifically the philosophy of a man named Martin Luther - to join the war. Germany wanted a shot at South America.

The ink on the declaration of war was not even dry when all hell broke loose.
Zulu Impis, equipped with muskets and American training, stampeded into Egyptian territory; Vikings and Celts headed through the Netherlands south into Germany; the new English ironclad HMS Conqueror began shelling Normandy, making room for English troops to cross the channel while the HMS Warrior shelled the Pais de Calais, making room for troops there; Hannibal and his troops poured into the tip of the Italian Peninsula, and marched through Egypt; and the American First, Second, and Third Armies poured into Spain.
American tanks decimated the Spanish Conquistadors, and the larger part of the American Fleet (made almost entirely of ironclads based on the USS Avenger, which was based on the Monitor, but with two rotating turrests instead of one and better armor) began a blockade on nearly all sides, annihilating Spanish galleons.
Spain fell in less than a day, even as the Spanish colony ships were halfway to America. Queen Isabella was killed as her castle in Madrid fell down around her. The abandoned Spanish ships - which now rest in the Spanish Museum in Florida - drifted on the sea for a decade, empty except for the coffers of Spanish gold, all of which would be recovered by American Ironclads and shared among the other members of NATO.
After the war was over, the only Spaniard truly left alive was Christopher Columbus. He had sworn loyalty to America, but still felt a shudder as the majority of his people died.
Refugees from the Spanish cities - all of the cities had been burnt - were loaded onto new steam-powered Transport ships headed back to America. It took nearly a dozen ships to hold them all. They would be used to populate the new American cities in South America. All of them were shocked that they were not excecuted.
The American Settler Corps established New Madrid on the ruins of the old city, built a harbor, and American workers began working the land.
Spain had been annihilated. Washington, Lee, and Sherman held off the few French troops Joan of Arc could spare, and began marching into France.
England had taken several cities in Normandy when France sued for peace.
The Vikings and Celts stormed northern Germany, extending the borders of Celtic Denmark by three hundred miles south when Germany sued for peace. They were given back their land, but the English kept Normandy.
Carthage fared well, but the Zulus did not. Fortunately, the bulk of the Egyptian Army was pushing the Zulus back as Hannibal and his army of war elephants - bought for a very good price from Consol Gandhi of India - was just outside the gates of Thebes when Cleopatra saw them coming.
Egypt had destroyed the Zulus on Madagascar when Hannibal and his elephants were storming Cleopatra's palace.
Egypt surrendered.
America signed a Right of Passage agreement with France, just long enough to begin storming Rome.

Several Roman cities were burning when Caesar and the pontiff were called to a meeting in Caesar's palace.
The puppet leader and the Pope were surprised to see several Roman guards standing behind them.
"Senator Brutus!" Caesar said, relieved. "What are you doing here?"
"Have you come to praise Caesar?" the Pope wondered.
[OCC: Just FYI, I'm just used to capitalizing Pope, I'm not Catholic, and I have no prejudices against them - I merely do it to emphasize the fact that the Catholic church held a large amount of power in Europe during those days.]
"No," Brutus said with a strange calm. "We come not to praise Caesar... but to bury you!"
The aging pontiff did not stand a chance as they set upon him with daggers.
They actually came close to stabbing each other in their rush to kill the Pope. They blamed him for the fact that they might be wiped out, just like the Spaniards, unless something was done.
Caesar had let the Pope control him, but in the end they forgave him - he was their leader. He was taken into custody.
"E tu, Brute?" the pontiff groaned in Latin, as his life left him. They wrould become famous last words, immortalized in a play by England's William Skakespeare.
Caesar was glad to have the Catholic Church no longer in control of all of Rome. Eventually, Roman troops drove the Papal loyalists into the Vatican, in the center of Rome. Caesar was merciful, mainly because he knew that if he crushed the church, war might break out again all through Europe. Instead, he killed the old pope's supports and appointed a new Pope. The Pope was the leader of the church, and that was it. Rome was no longer a theocracy.
Rome signed peace accords with NATO and the Americans moved out. Rome applied for membership in NATO and was accepted. Rome and Carthage also finally made peace.
World War I was over.

"And that was it. The war was over and peace came to the world. NATO signed peace accords, and transfers of technology between America and the other NATO nations began. The one tank that had been destroyed was loaded onto the transport ships with the victorious Armies so the Europeans could not figure out the technology by analyzing the remains of the tank. The Armies returned to America as heroes. Columbus was named Lincoln's Secretary of Foreign Affairs - so as a member of Lincoln's Cabinet, Columbus would now live forever as well."
"Lincoln's advisors live forever, too?"
"What happened to the old foreign advisor?"
"There was no need for one. Lincoln and Hiawatha had met regularly in those days. Anyway, telegraph wires - eventually phone wires - were built between America, Canada, and England, by way of Viking Iceland. Phone wires also extended into Scandinavia, Celtic Ireland, into English Normandy, to New Spain, into Carthaginian West Africa, and into Roman Italy.
"The Zulus were dead. New Spain was handed over to the Celts, and they reenforced it within hours with new Celtic cavalry. Spanish and Zulu refugees colonized South America. Egypt withdrew. American expansion covered the whole continent, absorbing the local tribes."
BRRRRIIIIINNNNNGGGGG!

Next: Age of Conquerors

Last edited by Centauri18; June 9, 2003 at 23:39.
Old January 10, 2003, 17:40   #38
vovan
Emperor

Interesting.
Spore page
Old January 10, 2003, 17:48   #39
Centauri18
Prince

What?
Old January 10, 2003, 17:51   #40
vovan
Emperor

The latest chapter.

I like it, and I found it interesting.
Spore page
Old January 10, 2003, 17:53   #41
Centauri18
Prince

Oh. Thanks. I'm sorry. I guess I was just ready to be defensive.
Old January 10, 2003, 21:39   #42
Easthaven I
Prince

Age of Conquerors...can't wait.
Old January 10, 2003, 22:38   #43
Centauri18
Prince

Anyone think they could take a crack at some maps? I could use some help, and since this isn't even remotely based on a real game of Civ 3, I don't have screenshots or maps. Anybody have any idea how I could modify a real map or something to put on here between chapters?
Old January 11, 2003, 09:53   #44
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

The stories going great
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old January 11, 2003, 11:44   #45
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Quote:
What?
This is becoming quite a hooby-doober of a story.
Old January 11, 2003, 16:32   #46
Centauri18
Prince

The next chapter deals with the large-wars of Pre-Industrial Europe - the Crimean War, the Napoleonic Wars, and a second Mongol Invasion. But I've said too much. There's a lot more when Pax America continues!
Old January 11, 2003, 19:45   #47
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Old January 11, 2003, 20:41   #48
Centauri18
Prince

Sorry. I've been watching the History Channel all day
Old January 12, 2003, 13:27   #49
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

I love wating the history channel myself so I can understand. As long as you dont keep us waiting for too long.
Old January 12, 2003, 13:41   #50
Centauri18
Prince

Writer's block, man. I'm working on it, but it's hard to condense a century into the maximum amount of words the posts will allow. I mean, the whole world changes.
Old January 12, 2003, 16:35   #51
Centauri18
Prince

Age of Conquerors
New Washington Junior Hgh School, 2003 A.D.
"What have you got there. Robbie?"
"New Washington Informer. It has an article about the negotiations taking place with China."
"What happened in China?"
"There's been a revolution going on for the last decade. The Communist government has finally been overthrown. Something happened to Mao."
"What happened to Mao??"
"Something's happened to him, that's all. He's more stable now mentally then he's ever been in his life. He seems to regret everything he ever did, pretty much. And that includes backing out of his alliance with Russia when the Mongols ran wild a couple centuries ago."
"Oh, yeah. Mongolia now includes half of Siberia. And didn't Korea break out, too?"
"Broke out of their peninsula, yes. But I guess we'll get to that today."
"Oh. Cool. What are we on?"
"Let's see... 'Age of Conquerors.' Sounds like Napoleon. And possibly Genghis Khan. Maybe even the Arabs."
"What about the Arabs?"
"We'll see. I could be wrong. I know that some countries suddenly did a lot of expanding. Like France getting back at England, and the Mongols getting some elbow room. And don't get me started with the Arabs."
"And America?"
"America had been expanding for four thousand years. But by the year 1776, things had changed around the world. The Catholic Church was going through drastic reforms, and had grown much more tolerant towards Muslims and even Jews, whom they once considered a worse enemy than the Muslims. Which, of course, is insane. But anyway, things were better. The people were wary, but the whole planet was changed as a result of the assassinations within the Vatican."
"Indeed."
"Good morning, Mr. Grant."
"You know your history, Robert."
"I read a lot. I know that things did not change much in the long run. Day-to-day affairs were different, as the new alliances changed the enonomy. The English controlled Normandy, and the Carthaginians had taken a bite out of the Egyptian Empire. It was only a matter of time before the backlash occurred."
"WHat sort of backlash, Robbie?"
"Yes, Robert, what sort of backlash?"
"The Napoleonic Wars."
"Ah, yes. Napoleon Bonaparte. A great French General who had been promoted after his actions against the English at Normandy. His soldiers were the finest in non-NATO Europe. The trained and developed his technique, but Napoleon had one real weakness - he kept too tight a rein on his men. He did not give them room to be creative, to think for themselves. His commanders were like extensions of his own will instead of separate entities. Yes, Napoleon paid closer attention to Machiavelli and Frederick the Great than to American philosophies. He followed Joan of Arc, but he had his own ambitions, and she let him do mostly as he wanted."
BRRRRRIIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG!

Peace reigned throughout the next few centuries. NATO kept the peace in Europe, even as tensions began to mount in Asia.
In France, resentment was beginning to mount, as the English began colonizing formerly French Normandy. And the French were angry.
Attacks were held off becuase for the time being, the British held technological superiority, one of the perks of belonging to NATO.
France just needed a general who knew how to fight.
In 1785, a junior artillery officer, newly emerged from the French Military Academy in Brienne changed everything for the struggling French nation. His name was Napoleon.
In 1789, a revolution took place, as Joan of Arc overturned the French Republic and turned France into a Monarchy with herself as absolute ruler.
The NATO nations took notice. Germany mobilized its troops in 1792.
In Febuary of 1793, war broke out as England and the Celtic Republic declared war on France. Napoleon struck back, leading French forces across Europe, decimating parts of Germany, taking parts of Northern Roma - with Russian backing - and within months Joan of Arc, through Napoleon, controlled Roma, while the European NATO nations banded together against the new French Empire.
Later, at sea, the French met the British at Trafalgar. The French had stolen Ironclad technology, and the two great navies squared off. Even recruiting the aid of a group of Spanish exiles, and Egypt, England came out on top in that battle.
War raged in Europe, and even with naval and technological superiority, the English and their allies were just barely holding off Napoleon and the French. Rome was defeated and absorbed - Caesar had fled to Sicily, and turned the island into a fortress - and Egypt was occupied, its vast resources under French control.
Carthage fought the French forces in Egypt, while the Vikings and Celts fought alongside their old enemies, the Germans. England moved in through Normandy, but couldn't get the French to budge.

And even as the world erupted in war again, America and Iroquois-Canada watched it all without even the slightest idea of what to do.
The two nations were isolated from the conflict and the people considered Napoleon Europe's problem.
The war continued into the nineteenth century. America discovered computers, and built the Internet, accelerating scientific discovery by building linked-up research laboratories all through American territory. The Americans discovered the Modern Armor unit, the predecessor of modern-day tanks. The SETI program came online in Washington, the Hoover Dam was built just outside Las Vegas, and American scientists in New York discovered the secrets of Longevity [I changed it so it only takes Medicine] and the population started to grow much more quickly.
With that came the problem of pollution. The Worker Corps never slept anymore, lining the two continents with railroads and cleaning up pollution.
The cities grew. New York now featured huge buildings of steel and glass. Foreign visitors called them "skyscrapers."
America finally put a man in space as Germany fell to Napoleon and Bismarck fled the country.
As France swept through Italy and long-pacifistic Greece, into the Ottoman Empire, Arabia, and even Babylon, America called a meeting of its allies at the new United Nations building.
The English were being overwhelmed, the Celts were barely holding Napoleon's forces off, the Vikings were being forced to use "human wave" attacks due to their lagging behind in technology, Carthage was doing okay by itself, and Casear was isolated on Sicily with the last of his troops.
Lincoln reluctantly decided to send his generals, who would be known in Europe as the Four Horsemen - Washington, Sherman, Lee, and fresh out of West Point, Ulysses S. Grant.
Large numbers of Modern Armor regiments boarded American transport ships, escorted by American battleships, and headed to France. The Four Armies were going to Europe, and countless more forces were going to fight.
The year was 1812.

The landing at British-held Normandy did not take very long. The English were barely holding on to Normandy, however, and it took every last tank to drive the French back.
The Americans could have run through France and claimed it for themselves, but they came as liberators, not conquerors.
Napoleon was on the verge of sending his forces east to attack Russia when news of the attack came. He turned his armies west to meet the Americans head-on.
In the wake of American advances, the English set up temporary occupation forces with American-made tanks. The French never quite got behind Joan of Arc's leadership, and her hold on them was greatly weakened. The majority of French felt betrayed.
Napoleon held the French Army in an iron fist, however, and he refused to surrender.
NATO forces swept through Paris, and on. Napoleon took his armies through Germany, and they met at a small town called Waterloo.
It was a case of irresistible force and immovable object. Which was which, no one knew. But the American technological superiority was almost canceled out by the sheer numbers of Napoleon's forces.
[OCC: In the real world, it was the Russian campaign that detroyed Napoleon's army, so if he never went to Russia, I figure that he'd be at full strength.]
Eventually the dust cleared. Both sides were worn out. Hundreds of men were dead. Thousands.
But above it all, the Four Generals emerged victorious.
Napoleon Bonaparte was dead.
The war was over.
It had taken a year, but it was over.
In the aftermath, France ceded all of its conquests back to the original residents. Bismarck moved back into Berlin, and Caesar went back to Rome. Borders returned to normal. The French backed out of Arabia, out of Greece, out of Babylon.
France was now a shadow of its former glory, as Joan of Arc was now a mere puppet ruler. England occupied France, and helped to give the people control of their nation again.
Germany expanded into land France had taken from them years ago. The English ruled France justly and fairly.
England was happy with the results of the war, as they had a great deal of control in Europe. France was decimated, and would never regain the power it had during the Napoleonic period.

Fifty years passed before war broke out again, this time between England and Russia. The Ottomans had been under English control, even though they maintained their independence, and Russia could not abide that. The Ottomans controlled the Holy Lands in the Middle East, and Russia wanted that land.
The two nations tried to work it out, England even offering Russia control over recently-subjugated India.
England had left NATO soon after it mobilized its forces - just a few years after the fall of France.
The Crimean War broke out soon after, and England defested Russia with the help of India, Greece, and Egypt. Those nations soon rebelled and broke away from British control.

In the 1860's, the English made moves to conquer India and Egypt.
The Anglo-Celtic War broke out as a result of that - the Celts were mostly worried that after it was finished with Europe and Egypt, they would turn their eyes toward Celtic Ireland.
It was England's darkest hour. Europe had been very tense for a long time, and apparently it had finally come to a head.
Celtic forces from Ireland invaded Scotland, long home to Celtic sympathizers.
Commander William Wallace of the Celtic Army, son of a veteran of the Napoleonic Wars, and a hero of the Anglo-Celtic War, was promoted to a General during the course of the invasion. As a General, he marched his division of tanks into London, and laid seige to Buckingham Palace.
England fell, and England's vassal states - India, the Ottomans, Egypt, and parts of Arabia - were now free to pursue their own destiny.
The Celtic Army instituted martial law in England.
France remained under occupation by NATO forces, but the war was over.

By the time that the twentieth century dawned, NATO had moved out of France, and Joan of Arc was back to running things.
Russia, still suffering from humiliation during the Crimean War, was ripe for a change. In the early years of the new century, just when things looked peaceful. Two revolutions broke out at the same time - one in Russia, and one in Egypt.
The Russian revolution utimately failed. The leader of the rebellion, a man named Lenin, fled Russia, as Czarina Catherine mercilessly crushed the rebellion.
Lenin found an equally receptive audience in the most unexpected place on Earth: Egypt.
Cleopatra was starting to lose the absolute control that the once monarchistic government had presented. The new doctrine of Communism appealed to her. The main reason for this was that the current Egyptian Democracy would not allow her to declare war on her old enemy, Carthage.
She fully supported the change in government and became Premier of the Egyptian Socialist Republic. Lenin became her main advisor.
An American political cartoon of the period called Cleopatra 'The Red Queen.'

As for Russia, the revolution was only the beginning, as the nation broke apart in civil war. Catherine could not keep order as anarchy ruled and terror reigned over the land.
Unfortunately for Russia, the whole civil war was being observed, by four nations in particular.
Even more unfortunately for Russia, those nations were Korea, Japan, China...
And Mongolia.
The Russian bear was falling apart, and the Asian nations decided they each wanted a piece.
Genghis Khan, King of Mongolia, led his nation's bid for world power - for the second time in two thousand years.
China started its expansion as Mao Zedong, leader of the Chinese Republic, started the move west.
Korea, long since isolated to its peninsula, made an ambitious move, going after mainland China.
Japan unloaded troops near Vladivostok.
It was every man for himself in the rush to capitalize on the crumbling of the mighty Russian Empire.
Since Russia's base of power in those days was in the Balkan mountain range, the world "Balkanization" is now used to describe the fragmentation of one nation into several smaller, weaker nations. Russia was breaking apart, and not even the people's connection to Czarina Catherine could save the country.
China expanded very far very quickly, but diverted troops to their home front. China's expansion was through the nations immediately north of Asia, even getting as far as the heavily-Muslim province of Azerbaijan. China early reached the edge of Persia by the time they turned their foces homeward to deal with Korea.
India took the opportunity to sweep through the province of Tibet, recently conquered by China. China stopped its expansion to deal with a war against the Indians and the Koreans. The Koreans broke out of the peninsula, and headed north. The Koreans got to take a chunk out of China, Japan took parts of Russia up to the Bering Strait, but it was the Mongols who caused the most damage.
They swept across Siberia like a plague. But unlike last time, they did not take a city, then burn and loot it. They held on to what they took.
Russia was only half of its normal size practically overnight. The Mongols were soon at the edge of the Ural Mountains.
The Russians managed to get their act together and fought off the Mongols in the Urals. The Russo-Mongolian War, they called it. The Mongols called it the Great Expansion. Mongolia went from one of the smallest nations in the world to the second-largest. America owned almost one third of the Earth's surface, and Mongolia owned half of Russia. Japan had taken the large island chain to their north. The Mongols owned everything of Russia from the Urals to the Bering Strait.
The Mongols built new cities, something which the Russians never expected. Genghis Khan had really cleaned up his civilization in the past couple thousand years.
While still a civilization based on militarism and expansionism, the Khan had become a great builder as well as a great conqueror. He built New Karakorum in the Urals, and built the first Mongol Iron Works there.
THe Chinese conquests ended with establishing peace treaties with India and Korea, and then the Chinese made moves to secure their new borders.
So did the Indians and the Koreans. The entire power structure of Asia had changed.
NATO immediately signed alliances with China and Mongolia, recognizing the new power structure.
If anything, Hiawatha was glad to have Russia - Iroquois-Canada's old enemy - contained.
Germany, recovered from Napoleon's occupation, stormed into Russia as well with their new Panzer tanks, built thanks to technology left behind by the French, and resources traded with the Vikings and Celts. Poland fell, and when the Germans got to the edge of Russia, the Russians sued for peace. They gave the Germans control of St. Petersburg (since the Russian Communists never came to power, the city was never renamed Leningrad) and the Germans left it at that.
All of Europe had changed. The English had been wiped out, half of Russia had been conquered, and the only thing that kept other nations from attacking each other was the Americans.
Well, actually, the Americans and the Iroquois. Peacekeeping troops from the newly-built United Nations in New York City stormed into Poland and liberated it from Germany. The Celts were given control over the land, and Germany was forced to disarm.
The Germans were deeply angered at this, and secretly swore revenge.
The global conflict - later called World War II - was over. The entire European landscape had changed, and an uneasy peace reigned over Europe.
It would not last.

"So that's the way it was. English imperialism had been destroyed once and for all, as the Celts, in many ways, enjoyed hegemony over the European continent, now controlling Spain, Poland, and the British Isles - they moved their capital to London - while Russia, formerly the second-largest nation on the planet, was in decline.
"Egypt was now the third-largest nation in the world, controlling everything in Africa not controlled by Carthage. The Arabs and Persians - old rivals - were forced to co-exist, while both nations had only small armies.
"America went back to its own affairs, developing a cure for cancer and working on putting a man on the moon. Iroquois-Canada and America enjoyed prosperity again.
"The uneasy peace made from the Treaty of Warsaw would not last long.
"In less than a generation, the world would be at war again."
"But what about the Arabs?"
"Ah, yes. The Arabs. They steamrolled Babylon just a few years into the new century."
"Why?"
"No one really knows why the Arabs do what they do. All I know is that the Arabs and the Persians now shared a border. That would have serious repercussions later on."
BRRRIIIIINNNNNGGGGG!

Next: Uneasy Peace

Last edited by Centauri18; June 9, 2003 at 23:53.
Old January 12, 2003, 17:42   #52
vovan
Emperor

Good stuff
Spore page
Old January 12, 2003, 18:28   #53
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Old January 12, 2003, 19:46   #54
Centauri18
Prince

Made some modifications, corrected some errors. Next up is World War Three (World War Two in our world) and I'm wondering what to do next. America, by then, is at the peak of Civ 3 technology, but no WAY could it stop there in the real world.
And I still need those maps.
Old January 12, 2003, 22:25   #55
Barfus
Warlord

Local Time: 08:46
Location: I am the last Roman. Or is it Irish-Roman-American?
nice so far....i like ah, check out my webpage if youre intereassted
Old January 12, 2003, 22:39   #56
Centauri18
Prince

I checked out the web page. I was just wondering if anybody could maybe post a map or something that I could modify or add national borders to or something like that.
Old January 12, 2003, 22:55   #57
vovan
Emperor

So, you need basically a map of the world, which has only the contours of continents, and maybe rivers on it? Everything else - in white. Is that something you are looking for?

I think I have seen a map being used over and over again for nes's. They basically take a map of the world and draw national borders however they like. I can try to find it... You can look for it also. Just head over to the diplomacy forums, and look at the nes's.
Spore page
Old January 12, 2003, 23:03   #58
Centauri18
Prince

Well, I just thought it would be helpful for you guys, to know whats going on, since so far the borders have changed a dozen times or so.
Old January 12, 2003, 23:07   #59
vovan
Emperor

Oh, yes, yes, indeed, that would help a lot. I just didn't quite realize up till now what kind of map you wanted...

Any way, a search on the forums, and on the internet turned up several maps that can be useful:

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/attac...postid=1476751
http://www.apolyton.net/forums/attac...postid=1498581
http://www.apolyton.net/forums/attac...postid=1439634
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads2/SNESACW.gif
http://www.mprinces.org/mpimages/map-world.gif
http://www.camstage.com/Graphics/Map-World-011.JPG
http://www.toronsn.com/images/map-world.gif
http://www1.odn.ne.jp/~cdh48120/inte...orld%20map.jpg
http://www.worldfootball.org/img/world-map.gif

The ones on the forums already have borders drawn on them, since they are from nes's, so they may take a bit of work to adapt. Some of the maps from other places on the internet might be easier to use. Any way, check out the links above, and see if anything can be of use to you.
Spore page
Old January 12, 2003, 23:15   #60
Centauri18
Prince

Thanks a lot, man. I'll have a map up soon. Just wish I could remember the colors.

Last edited by Centauri18; January 12, 2003 at 23:36.