Old January 6, 2003, 10:02   #1
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 08:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Help from audiophiles
I'm gradually setting up my home theatre system. I've got a sony 53" TV that I use as the center speakers. I use my regular audio speakers (ESS) as the front speakers, and the whole lot is hooked to a sony DE975 receiver. Rather than buying those dinky 5 piece speaker systems that have no base I want to just add 2 more stereo speakers. So here's the question.

I read something about that there can be incombatabilities between speakers so that its best to use speakers of the same brand (something to do with drivers?). Does anyone know what this is about?
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old January 6, 2003, 10:49   #2
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 09:48
There can be incompatibilities, but it isn't a brand thing. The best reason to buy a 5 piece system is price for the package deal. Buy a separate subwoofer.

Good luck.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old January 6, 2003, 11:16   #3
SpencerH
Emperor

What are the incompatibilities based on though? I'm not a fan of single subwoofers with small (tin-ey) satellites. I prefer multiple speakers with complete range of sound except for the center speakers that are for voices mostly.
Old January 6, 2003, 11:33   #4
DanS
Deity

Don't know all of the incompatibilities, but you have to keep in mind if you have things like dipoles, etc. Based on your receiver, you are at the low end of the middle range, where I don't think this stuff really matters.

Re your preferences, don't set them in stone right now, especially since you're wrong. Without a subwoofer you will always lose out on the lowest frequencies. That said, the place where you "cross over" can be set pretty low, depending on the quality of your speakers and your preferences. Go out and buy a SPL meter from Rat Shack and Avia from a typical online source to know which frequencies you're missing.

For more information on this stuff, try a forum like this one, which is a little heavy on home theater, but still is very good to give you thoughts on specific model numbers...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...php?forumid=89
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old January 6, 2003, 11:51   #5
SpencerH
Emperor

Thanks
Old January 6, 2003, 11:56   #6
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 13:48
If you have decent front speakers, you can get low enough without needing a sub IMHO. You can hit 30 or even 20 dB with decent sized drivers.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 6, 2003, 12:06   #7
DanS
Deity

I think you mean Hz, not dB?
Old January 6, 2003, 12:14   #8
Graag
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

As an aside I have another question for the audiophiles out there...

I've recently aquired a very nice pair of Mission speakers, and now need an amp to match. I was planning on spending around £150 ($220), but since then I've noticed the Soundblaster Extigy. I'm not really clued up on audio technology, but know a good sound when I hear one... anyone have any idea if the Extigy would compare to an amp of similar price? I've also been looking at the M Audio Audiophile 2496.
Could any PC based card compare to a proper amp?
Are there any PC based cards (perferably external) that have the kind of connectivity of an amp (i.e. I could connect my CD player, Video, DVD and computer).

Thanks for any help
Old January 6, 2003, 12:27   #9
DanS
Deity

"Could any PC based card compare to a proper amp?"

No, but a PC card can act as a pro quality pre-amp at rock bottom price. You would need a separate amp for each channel.

Instead of the audiophile, try the delta 410, which runs about $180, depending on location...

http://www.m-audio.com/products/m-audio/delta410.php

Quality amps also cost money, so this approach might bust your budget. Considering this, you might just get a receiver/processor of acceptable power.
Old January 6, 2003, 12:45   #10
Graag
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Quote:
Quality amps also cost money, so this approach might bust your budget. Considering this, you might just get a receiver/processor of acceptable power.
Yup, my budget is currently non-existant, I'm hoping I can save enough money so I can buy one in easter. Looks like I'll stick to my original plan and just get a decent amp.
While we're on the subject, do you think £150 ($220) is enough for a decent amp? I want something that is going to give me nice clear bass, but not at the expense of mid-rang or treble, I listen to pretty much all and any kind of music, but mostly rock and jazz.
I'm willing to spend whatever it takes to get something that'll please me for a good while to come, even if it takes me all year to save for it... I'm thinking long-term here...

Any ideas?
Old January 6, 2003, 13:02   #11
self biased
staff
Civilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Civilization V News Editor

if you have the tosh to throw around, i'd highly reccomend investing in a set of bose speakers.