View Poll Results: Do you want a Modder's League Table?
Yes, I would like a Modder's League Table 2 15.38%
No, I would not like a Modder's League Table 9 69.23%
I want a sneaky fart... I would also like to abstain from voting 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 6, 2003, 10:29   #1
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Modder's League Table?
Bare with me. What about a table of all the people who have worked on improving CtP2, gaining points for each piece of work, be it a scenario, a mod or just a simple but effective script. Maybe points for each type of work, given for time spent, level of completion and bug freeness etc...

Im thinking the competitive element will bring out the best in some newbies like me and others, and strive to move up the table in a sort of shallow competitive way.

Does it sound incredibly bad or would it enthuse someone, perhaps a newbie to contribute?

Thoughts?
Old January 6, 2003, 10:46   #2
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:48
Let me think: ehm... No!

Since when is modding supposed to be competitive? I appreciate the works of 'small' modmakers just as much as that 'big' ones. Modding is my hobby: I do what I feel like doing, not what I think will earn me the most credit...

It will probably scare away more newbies than it will encourage...
Old January 6, 2003, 11:02   #3
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

I think your missing the point, if its based on gameplay and quality, it would IMO encourage people to be creative and produce something of real quality and originality, im not saying that isnt already happening, but it would show newbies or anyone what kind things are already out there, more clearly.

Competition doesnt have to just earn credit (if it even does), you can still compete with yourself for a target.
Old January 6, 2003, 11:46   #4
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
I think your missing the point, if its based on gameplay and quality, it would IMO encourage people to be creative and produce something of real quality and originality, im not saying that isnt already happening, but it would show newbies or anyone what kind things are already out there, more clearly.

Competition doesnt have to just earn credit (if it even does), you can still compete with yourself for a target.
Though I don't qualify as a modder in anyway, I agree with Locutus. What has seduced me when I first visited the Apolyton CtP2 forums and encouraged me to register was the friendliness and the humor of the exchanges, the warm welcome given to the newbies and the cooperation between the members of the community. For example, when I requested some helps from Hexagonian about the CRA_Updater.slc he spent some of his spare time to answer and gave me valuable advices whereas I have never given back anything to the community and though I have never played CtP2 with his mod. You have yourself contributed to the thread I have started and your point of view has helped me to flesh out important things.

Though I don't think your proposal will change anything to this, I think it can give a wrong image of the CtP2 community and scare away some newbies (to quote Locutus).

Last edited by Tamerlin; January 6, 2003 at 11:52.
Old January 6, 2003, 12:06   #5
Maquiladora
Emperor

Hmm yeah Tamerlin im having the same thoughts myself now, I agree with you about the community on the CtP2 forums, its unique, just the idea of recording everyones achievements sounded alot better in my head...

I think this is another one of those 'post before thinking' moments, i have been awake for over 28 hours though. Point taken.
Old January 6, 2003, 12:26   #6
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 13:48
no no no no.

wait up

no
Old January 6, 2003, 12:38   #7
Tamerlin
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
I think this is another one of those 'post before thinking' moments, i have been awake for over 28 hours though. Point taken.
No problem, I am sure you posted it with good intents in mind.

Save your current CtP2 game and take some rest...
Old January 6, 2003, 14:20   #8
HuangShang
King

Local Time: 06:48
where was that quote from...

and a modding table wont effect me so i voted no w/ almost everyone else
Old January 6, 2003, 14:29   #9
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Well I have agree with Locutus, we all have real lives, so not everyone has the time, in addition you would find some mods that no one would play just released for quantity. And if everyone would compete here you wouldn't find mods like the ApolytonPack. The ApolytonPack is a collection of mods packed together for the fans, so that not everyone has to put together his own mods, and not everyone knows how it does work. And it also helped Cradle and MedPack not to have here a competition, you find CityMod2 in both mods also a lot of slics, and everyone is free to use these slics in his own mods. And the non competetive spirit attracts more people, come and see, come and try, come and play, come and mod. Well if you like of course, that should be the order first get interested in the game and then get interested in creating you own modifications, of course if you like if you just want to play than just play.

The only incentive you should have is that you can create something, can achieve something, can release something, then you know you did something. And of course in the first place you did it for yourself and of course you released something for others, but the question you have to ask yourself, do I like my creation, if you have sometime and you like to do something on modding then do it, if you don't have time or other interests then you can't mod, that is simple no one here is paid for doing stuff.

-Martin
Old January 7, 2003, 06:03   #10
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 23:48
I agree. No. Without the "community spirit", Apolyton Pack wouldn't be here. Just what Martin said.
Old January 7, 2003, 06:18   #11
Devil of Truth
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Sorry Maq. I see what you’re trying to do here, but it doesn’t quite fit into the Apolyton mould.
Old January 7, 2003, 07:15   #12
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

So we're agreed. We do it, but set it up on a separate website, never talk about it on Apolyton, never link to it from Apolyton, and never let any newbie know we are anything other than 100% community-spirited.
Old January 7, 2003, 07:34   #13
Maquiladora
Emperor

I knew you had a competitive streak

... no really, i just meant to keep track of what people have done, in a friendly way...

Everyone who wants Locutus to close this thread say aye, AYE. Okay settled.
Old January 7, 2003, 07:58   #14
Tamerlin
King

This thread has never existed, it has never been opened, we don't know anything about such a thing... (music of "The Invaders" in the background, feel like David Vincent falling inconscious...)

AYE!

Last edited by Tamerlin; January 7, 2003 at 14:33.
Old January 7, 2003, 14:18   #15
HuangShang
King

Local Time: 06:48
aye
Old January 7, 2003, 16:42   #16
ahenobarb
Prince

Although it sounds like this has already been settled. It would be really bad if someone spent a month getting the bugs out of some code, posted it, and then received a score of 1 out of 10.
Old January 7, 2003, 18:19   #17
Tamerlin
King

As far as modding is concerned, and not polls, I am sure everybody here agrees to give a 10 out of 10 score to Maquiladora, although he must promise to get some sleep before receiving this note.
Old January 8, 2003, 04:28   #18
Devil of Truth
Prince

What thread? I don’t know of any thread.
Old January 8, 2003, 04:29   #19
Devil of Truth
Prince

What SPAM? I don’t know of any SPAM.
Old January 8, 2003, 04:37   #20
Devil of Truth
Prince

It may be a good idea to keep some form of online registry of everybody that has contributed anything (apart from smart remarks) to CTP2; and what contribution was made.

Also, an indication of whether said person is willing to "assist" in the development of others' mods.

Like a job forum.

Get the docies to do the GLs, and the SLICers to... well... SLIC. Etc.
Old January 8, 2003, 05:25   #21
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

this is weird the were are all the post,
Old January 8, 2003, 06:11   #22
Tamerlin
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Devil of Truth
It may be a good idea to keep some form of online registry of everybody that has contributed anything (apart from smart remarks) to CTP2; and what contribution was made.
I am not sure this is a good idea for the same reasons as before (see the earlier posts).

Quote:
Also, an indication of whether said person is willing to "assist" in the development of others' mods.
Don't you think it can make someone feeling he is under an obligation whereas we all have trouble to find spare time and don't know what the future will be made of.

Quote:
Like a job forum.
I understand what you mean but this is a hobby.
Old January 9, 2003, 08:29   #23
Devil of Truth
Prince

Good points Tamerlin. However...

It could be handy to see who created what, and whether they’re still available should any questions arise; or modifications be made to their creations etc.

Like for example: The unit updater code...
Old January 9, 2003, 08:38   #24
Tamerlin
King

Quote:
It could be handy to see who created what, and whether they’re still available should any questions arise; or modifications be made to their creations etc.
The Apolyton CS Directory is already listing the creators along with the mods...

Quote:
Like for example: The unit updater code...

Not really a creation but an adaptation of the Cradle Updater to the Apolyton Pack, the real hard work has been done by Peter Trigg and Hexagonian.

Moreover it is not yet available because I have to write down a little read-me, I am afraid I won't have the time until saturday evening (the Stade Toulousain is playing a Heineken Cup game against Newport saturday afternoon ).
Old January 9, 2003, 09:07   #25
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
That's what the Apolyton Directory, topped threads in this forum and readme files are for...
Old January 10, 2003, 07:03   #26
Boney
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power Multiplayer
Warlord

Nice to see that logic wins out in the end.

I still think that the modders of CTP2 just do not get the credit they deserve considering how much time they put in.
Old January 10, 2003, 07:19   #27
Boney
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power Multiplayer
Warlord

Nice to see that logic wins out in the end.

I still think that the modders of CTP2 just do not get the credit they deserve considering how much time they put in.
Old January 10, 2003, 07:26   #28
Maquiladora
Emperor

Naw they enjoy it too much to get any credit Im guessing most of them enjoy it more than playing the game

But then again there wouldnt be a forum here if it werent for the modders, cause it sure wouldnbt be alive because of MP.
Old January 10, 2003, 11:18   #29
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 10:48
I am one that just like more modding than playing. Of course when things work out nicely
-Jean Rostand
Old January 10, 2003, 12:13   #30
Tamerlin
King

I am not a modder but I must admit I enjoy tinkering with the games (and especially CtP2) as much as playing them.

I think the modders get the credit they deserve through the good comments posted in the different threads or simply through the fact few players play CtP2 unmodded.