Old January 8, 2003, 12:06   #1
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The games people play: What games/sports are you best at?
I'm not that good at sports, but I've played my share of video games and I would say that the one game that I completely dominated was the old 80's arcade game Robotron: 2084. On factory settings, I was able to play that game for as long as I wanted to - if Dad and I were in the mall, I'd get a quarter and play Robotron for a hour or so while he shopped. I used to roll the game over by getting too many extra men, which sometimes resulted in a lost game. I've never been so good at a video game before or since.

So, do we have any champion Scrabble or Monopoly players here? Any wargamers? Any triathalon runners, mountain climbers, or pool players around here? Recount your past tales of glory!
Old January 8, 2003, 12:07   #2
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:58
I kick arse at Solo Whist.
Old January 8, 2003, 12:10   #3
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Snowboard
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old January 8, 2003, 12:18   #4
C0ckney
King

football, i'm pretty good at that, not overly skillful but i can tackle, run fast, have bags of energy and am both footed. which suits the position i play (left back/wing) fine.

used to play for a local team before i came to uni, didn't try out for the uni team because training clashes with two of my seminars

play a bit of tennis too, though i was ok but tried out for the uni team and found out how shite i really was

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old January 8, 2003, 12:21   #5
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:58
I haven't lost a game of Risk in nearly 10 years.
Old January 8, 2003, 12:26   #6
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 15:58
quite good at basketball
good at water polo

suck in volleyball and football

i can also finish Street Fighter II with just one coin. (on a good day)
Old January 8, 2003, 12:30   #7
Bereta_Eder
Settler

BTW its sea polo not water polo
we despise pools since we have the lovely seas
Old January 8, 2003, 12:34   #8
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

But how do the horses navigate the rocks?
Old January 8, 2003, 12:36   #9
Graag
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:58
Poker is my game
I clean up every time.

I'm good at most card games, not sure why; Hearts and Whist more than others.

Pretty damn hot at monopoly also

Computer game-wise I am the all time world king of Phobia 2, but unfortunately that's becuase very few people ever played it, or heard of it.

I've never found one sport I'm particualrly good at. Unless you count a natural ability to put the boot in when playing defense in football. I was very good at that.
Old January 8, 2003, 12:36   #10
C0ckney
King

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old January 8, 2003, 12:41   #11
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
But how do the horses navigate the rocks?
we have sea horses.
nah that is a lie.

we just play on sandy beaches
Old January 8, 2003, 13:15   #12
Flatlander Fox
Civilization II Multiplayer
Prince

I'm pretty good at basketball, football and baseball. (Although baseball is my favorite sport, and all I play these days is flag football)

I have played countless strategy games (Diplomacy being my favorite strategy game ever), and play a mean game of Playstation football as well.
Old January 8, 2003, 13:25   #13
C0ckney
King

oh yeah playstation footie, FIFA 2003 on the ps2, i'm pretty good at that, won our blocks FIFA tourney as man city with a 4-3 win over parma

Old January 8, 2003, 14:20   #14
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 07:58
I was a champion Civilization the board game player (actually advanced civilization)

I only lost like 3 games in as many years (and only 2 games or so for the 7 years before that)

during that time I played 40 games or so

the last year I played (last year) I did not win one (I played 6 games or so)

IU went from being a few points up every game to being a few points down every game (to the same player)

Jon Miller
Old January 8, 2003, 15:40   #15
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

im average at most games besides playing the lotto...im currently up 200 dollars and i play weekly
Old January 8, 2003, 15:51   #16
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Quote:
Originally posted by C0ckney
oh yeah playstation footie, FIFA 2003 on the ps2, i'm pretty good at that, won our blocks FIFA tourney as man city with a 4-3 win over parma
As Man City

Anyway.. .I was quite good in Fifa 1998... huh quite a while since, but pretty much noone at college could not beat me, that was on the original Playstation of course.

Other than that... I play games but not that I am really good at something. I used to be decent at chess when I was young for my age... but haven't played it much or at all last 10 years or so.

As for the other sports since I have been sitting in front of the PC for the last 3 years, I can't even run let alone play something decently.

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old January 8, 2003, 15:55   #17
Clear Skies
Prince

Badminton's my only decent sport...
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old January 8, 2003, 16:12   #18
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

I used to be a pretty good playmaker at volleyball and a decent quarterback at flag football, and I'm an active cyclist as well.
Old January 8, 2003, 16:23   #19
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 07:58
Quote:
That might not be saying much, depends on how many you have won in that time
Old January 8, 2003, 16:29   #20
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 16:58
I suck at all sports.
Old January 8, 2003, 16:33   #21
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Yeah I probably suck at them too now...

I'll probably stop at the meantime of a basketball game, light up a f@g and drink a sip of frape
Old January 8, 2003, 17:01   #22
lightblue
Warlord

Hmm, I was volleyball and basketball captain in high school, as well being in the track and field team (800m, 1500m, high jump, long jump).

I played basketball for Manchester and Cambridge University.

Recently (3 months ago) I switched my main sport to rowing, and am now in Anglia University's first boat.
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old January 8, 2003, 17:17   #23
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 08:58
Quote:
is that because you havent played a game in 10 years?

we have a very nice risk group on long island, and one of the players is referred to "Bonerparte" (yes, intentional misspelling )after he came back from 1 land to win the game.

we have house rules though. betcha i could romp you

i'm good at risk / axis and allies / monopoly / stratego / chess on the board.

i rock the hell out of halo (xbox), 16 player CTF is my fav.

on the comp, well, theres civ, warcraft, various halflife mods (Counter Strike, Natural Selection, Firearms, Day of Defeat), Tribes, Starcraft, Red Alert, Worms (Armegheddon).

i'm not that good at those "epic" RTS games though, ones that span large chunks of human history (Age of Empires, Empire Earth), hopefully i'll get good at RoN
Old January 8, 2003, 17:30   #24
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

oh, sports.

err. i'm not exceptionally good at any of them.

i was a thrower on the track team for a year in high school (shotput / discus) but my Personal Records weren't that great.

I played football (american football) for 2 years, i'm a pretty big kid, but i was just a defensive linemen. i got 3 sacks in 2 years i also cought impetago (spelling) in the middel fo the second year and swore off football.

basketall, i played for a solid 6 years. i'm the tall fat kid that grabs the rebounds and passes it to a guard i got a fair amount of points for my role but nothing spectacular. i was also known for elbowing people in the face from time to time i fouled out of a few games.

baseball. i sucked. my parents made me play. american passtime. i was put in right field because it was like that community crap and everyone gets to play. i couldnt throw well at all. horrible.

soccer (football). i played for 2 years when i was a little kid (again, community sports thing) and one day i went up to my mom and said "mommy, theres too much running in this sport", and i never played again. she reminds me of it all the time for some reason. i've played some soccer with my friends but nothing competitive, and i'm a fairly good defender.

hockey. i couldnt skate/blade until i was 16. never really tried. so i never played competitive hockey, just messing around in the schoolyard with my friends and a PVC-Pipe net we built. I was playing on foot most of the time, so checking was a lot easier for me. i have a decent wrist shot, but i end up breaking my stick if i try too many slapshots. i suck in goal.

european team handball, do you guys just call it handball there? you have this little ball and you dribble it like basketball and you throw it into a hockey-esque net. i was really good at this one, but we only played it in gym class at school.

cage ball. this isn't a sport as far as i know, just a fun game a gym teacher made up. there is a hollow rubber ball about 3 feet in diamater that bounces really well.there are 2 teams, and each team lines up at one side of the gymnasium. the coach (or ref or whatever) calls out numbers (or sets of numbers, like "odds") and anyone with a crresponding number runs toward the center, where the giant ball is. the point of the game is to get the ball to hit the wall behind the other team. everyone who wasnt called out is a goalie for the other team, so you have to get his hige assed ball past a line of like 20 kids. i am a golden god at this game, the living end. if this game ever becomes an olympic event, i'll be an olympian. a solid gold olympian.

yea. well. thats enough.
Old January 8, 2003, 17:34   #25
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:58
Sports and games, Uber.
Old January 8, 2003, 17:38   #26
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

then i've covered all my bases
Old January 8, 2003, 17:52   #27
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

I'm pretty good at athletics: lost 2 hurdles races is 3 years (although that happened to be the 2 national championship finals I got to ) and won the one and only decathalon I entered (never again ). I used to play Rugby for a decent youth team,we go to the national final when I was there, but lost by 1 f**king point

I'm pretty handy at most boardgames, especially my cousins 'cheapass games', but I'm nothing special. And I'm the luckiest person I've ever met at pool. I suck badly, but I have a knack of miss hitting it, smacking into a different ball and knocking it in.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 8, 2003, 18:41   #28
MattyBoy
Prince

Local Time: 23:58
Still playing basketball (26 years later) - my height makes up for my lack of talent.
Perhaps best at rollerblading. I ride my bike plenty but I'm slooowww, no matter how hard I try.
Jack of lots of other sports. Extremely bad at Soccer.

Best games: Civ1, Rygar (arcade), Space Invaders (Atari), SMAC.
Old January 8, 2003, 19:13   #29
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

I was a damn good foosball player for a while, but haven't tried it, so I may be rusty.

Same story with air hockey.

I'm also pretty good at the arcade SoulCaliber -- Voldo!
Old January 8, 2003, 19:14   #30
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 05:58
In my day I was pretty decent on a bicycle, and have raced against guys who have riden in the Olympics and the Tour de France. They were so much better than me that I decided to play Civ and the Fifa series from EA Sports.

I actually came to a complete stop last night going up a hill and fell over before I could get my feet unclipped... at least I have a much more expensive bike than the one I rode when I was young and in shape!