Old January 9, 2003, 16:02   #1
Vesayen
King

Local Time: 10:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Wierd hypothetical: Every person in the world hears a billowing voice "All the barrie
Wierd hypothetical I thought of as I sat in traffic for an hour today.......

Suppose a billowing voice is suddenly heard by every person in the world(in their own language saying): ALL THE BARRIERS ARE GONE

If you need to know the "source" there is no source, it just happens, there will never be any "source" for anyone to find......if you want say its a wierd psychological experiment by God.

What would you think after hearing this, more importantly what do you think would happen world wide?
Old January 9, 2003, 16:20   #2
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 17:04
I'll tell the guy next to me in the bus: did you just hear THAT? He'll be to embarrassed to answer yes, and will just stare at me. I'd think he took me for a nut, and go get some proffesional help.
Old January 9, 2003, 16:49   #3
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:04
it would mean that Provost Harrison will finally get a chick

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old January 9, 2003, 18:26   #4
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:04
re: All the barriers are gone
Control express itself in barriers, so control must have died.
The primary and perhaps sole source of control to feed on and expand in is time, so that means time has either stopped or has been put into reverse.
So maybe in x number of years we would be back into the age of early Man - the way we were biologically designed to live in. We would once again become unaware of our own mortality - or rather we would be unable to fear the loss of self.
It would be a self perpetuating process. Perhaps such a message would ultimately signify the beginning of the deflation of the universe.
However, control might be able to feed on something else than time. Thought for instance. Maybe control could trick thought into believing space/time still expanded, thereby upholding the barriers. It is however questionable whether Man would be able to physically exist under total control of thought. It would mean an exhaustion of thought - a definite resource like any other.
However, I am optimistic that thought would eventually reject direct parasitic control. Thought has a very strong immune system.
In a worldwide sense I think the breakdown of barriers would be met by typical reaction, in politics and economics especially, as we are seeing only the very first inklings of at the moment. A huge security apparatus will be put into place. It would be an impossible project of course, but it would give certain people a sense of purpose. The average person would probably find it interesting and mildly amusing, perhaps the loss of control would release unforeseen energies in human spirit and inventiveness for doing what is good and fun. It could be a new Renaissance, because let's face it - the 20th century was quite a dark age.
Old January 9, 2003, 18:36   #5
Graag
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Re: Wierd hypothetical: Every person in the world hears a billowing voice "All the barrie
Quote:
Originally posted by Vesayen

What would you think after hearing this, more importantly what do you think would happen world wide?
Everyone would pretend it hadn't happened any carry on living their lives. They'd probably forget within 10 seconds. No-one could accept the reality of such an event, and thus it wouldn't happen (at least in their perception).
Old January 9, 2003, 19:18   #6
Vesayen
King

Re: Re: Wierd hypothetical: Every person in the world hears a billowing voice "All the barr
Quote:
Originally posted by Graag

Everyone would pretend it hadn't happened any carry on living their lives. They'd probably forget within 10 seconds. No-one could accept the reality of such an event, and thus it wouldn't happen (at least in their perception).
How could you deny something EVERY person in the world hears?
Old January 10, 2003, 03:51   #7
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 22:04
ALL the barriers are gone? Well we are all dead now, consider the number of barriers in us to keep things working.
Old January 10, 2003, 04:52   #8
Timexwatch
King

I'd check on whether or not the pile of snow that's blocking my car in was cleared off or not...It would take an act of God for me to clear it off...
Old January 10, 2003, 05:22   #9
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
That or a shovel.
Old January 10, 2003, 05:27   #10
Timexwatch
King

The hell with that I'm back home in NY where there have been two blizzards over the course of a week and a half. My thought is "Why bother?" I'll just drive what's in the garage and let the other car stew in it's 2.5 feet of snow
Old January 10, 2003, 05:58   #11
Ari Rahikkala
King

First thing I thought of when I read the first post...

I believe that the first thing that would happen worldwide is that everybody would become a puddle of LCL .
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old January 10, 2003, 07:55   #12
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

What Ari said.

The fun part would be having all those nude Reis around!
Old January 10, 2003, 08:11   #13
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 15:04
Well, I'd think "Oh, Ok then." and try to launch a HA-DO-KEN at someone. If it didn't work, well, then I was imagining it. If it worked, then I'll go super-saiyan on somebodies ass and use my superpowers to impose a new world order.

Old January 10, 2003, 10:52   #14
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 22:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Ari Rahikkala
I believe that the first thing that would happen worldwide is that everybody would become a puddle of LCL .
LCL?

Nah, not that simple. Matter forms barriers. So if all barriers are gone, you have to get rid of all matter all together.
Old January 10, 2003, 10:54   #15
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I wouldn't do a damn thing. If there is a God and he's going to say something non-specific like that and not explain himself. Chances are, he's a sick sadistic fool that gets off by watching humanity argue about the true meaning of his word.
Old January 10, 2003, 11:13   #16
Ari Rahikkala
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
LCL?

Nah, not that simple. Matter forms barriers. So if all barriers are gone, you have to get rid of all matter all together.
But how many people would have understood it if the voice had said "All the AT fields are now gone"? Not many. Not you, at least .
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old January 10, 2003, 11:26   #17
DaShi
Emperor

Riiight.
Old January 10, 2003, 12:52   #18
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Pretty warm in Antartica now, eh?
Old January 10, 2003, 13:12   #19
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

what if the booming voice said:

"All your base are belong to us. You have no chance to survive, make your time"

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old January 10, 2003, 14:19   #20
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Re: Wierd hypothetical: Every person in the world hears a billowing voice "All the barrie
Quote:
Originally posted by Vesayen
Suppose a billowing voice is suddenly heard by every person in the world(in their own language saying): ALL THE BARRIERS ARE GONE
I would immediately let loose my bowels, screaming "Noooo, give me back my sphincter!"
Old January 10, 2003, 17:10   #21
LulThyme

He didnt ask what would happen if all barriers were gone...
HE asked what if a voice said so that everyone could hear... Would that change anything?

Old January 10, 2003, 17:15   #22
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I was standing around minding my own business when a loud booming voice said "The 17:48 to Sevenoaks will be departing from platform 6". Everyone around me rushed off. It was all quite surreal. Has anyone else experienced similar booming voices that command the masses in such a manner?
Old January 10, 2003, 18:07   #23
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old January 10, 2003, 18:07   #24
Clear Skies
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
I was standing around minding my own business when a loud booming voice said "The 17:48 to Sevenoaks will be departing from platform 6". Everyone around me rushed off. It was all quite surreal. Has anyone else experienced similar booming voices that command the masses in such a manner?
Old January 10, 2003, 19:14   #25
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

"Matter forms barriers. So if all barriers are gone, you have to get rid of all matter all together."

-Urban Ranger

"He didnt ask what would happen if all barriers were gone...
HE asked what if a voice said so that everyone could hear... Would that change anything?"

-LulThyme

For the reason Urban Ranger cited, I think that there is no way people could dismiss the reality of what they heard if people suddenly stop being material.

The question remains, without any material body, would we still be able to ask ourselves questions like what just happened? Would we have any awareness at all?