Old January 9, 2003, 20:14   #1
Draginol

Local Time: 14:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
GalCiv Gamer FAQ
Q: What makes Galactic Civilizations special? There are a lot of 4X strategy games out there already, what does this one bring to the table?

A: For lack of a better term, our goal is to create a truly organic feeling game. Most strategy games come across feeling a bit like a spread sheet. Or they get so complex that casual strategy gamers are turned off by them. What we hope to do is make a strategy game that has an almost role-playing feel to it. We want each game to feel like an epic story. That’s why we’re putting in so many plot events. You may play the game for many months and still run into new events that give the game a fresh texture. In GalCiv, we want you to truly feel like you’re building a civilization. You can make it a good one or an evil one. You can make it a war-like one or a peaceful one. One that manipulates others behind the scenes or wins by winning the hearts and minds of the other civilizations’ citizens.

Lots of times games will come out and boast how they allow players all these paths to victory. And then you sit down and play it and it turns out that there’s really only one way to victory that’s any fun and the other ways are either virtually impossible or incredibly not fun. What we’ve done in GalCiv is work especially hard to make sure the different paths are enjoyable. In fact, the star bases, for instance, weren’t in the original design. We put those in along with the modules to upgrade them just this past Fall in order to ensure that winning through cultural and economics was as enjoyable as building fleets of ships and sending them into battle. Kind of a competitive “Simcity” type feel to it when you start building up your civilization and watching the little trade ships going back and forth by your star bases and such.

Q: GalCiv has no multi-player. How do you answer those who feel multiplayer is a key feature in strategy games today?

A: This is actually the first Windows game I’ve worked on that isn’t multiplayer. Stardock, on the game side, is actually best known for making multiplayer games so it is a bit ironic I confess. But having 7 years of experience in making multiplayer games, I was convinced that there were much greater benefits to making a single human player the star of the show. The time that was put into multiplayer was put into making computer players that behaved like humans (minus the disconnects, swearing, and cheese tactics). We still allow people to compete with other humans, just not directly via the Metaverse.

Q: What part of the game did you find the most enjoyable to work on?

A: I really like working on the computer players. Particularly the dialog. Often times I’ll play games where I’ve clearly creamed the computer player but it doesn’t act like it’s losing. So we made sure in GalCiv that when you’re kicking butt the AI actually will say things like “You’ve crushed us! Have mercy, we appeal to your humanity..” and other such things.

Q: In GalCiv you play exclusively as the humans. Most games let you pick their own races along with a large assortment of aliens.

A: This is true. Most games let you pick any race and then pick aliens to play against. Galactic Civilizations supports up to 36 different civilizations in the game at a time. I think that’s more than most games. But we do focus on the 6 major star faring civilizations.

But what most games do is have each alien civilization relatively hard coded as to what they can do. Whereas in our case, you can heavily customize not just your civilization but the alien civilizations you choose.

Does it really matter that you can’t play as an alien when you can customize the humans to have pretty much any trait you’d like? The reason we have players take the role as leader of humanity is so that the game plot can be much richer. If we let players play as anyone, then all the plot stuff would have had to be divided amongst the other civilizations. By playing as humans, we can cater to them exclusively which we think makes for a much richer experience in the long term.

Q: How does playing as good and evil affect the game play?

A: For one thing, it helps determine what technologies are available to you. The types of things an ethical civilization is going to research is likely to be very different than an evil one. There’s also a lot of behind the scenes diplomacy calculating that occurs based on your ethical standing. It’s particularly enjoyable to play as an evil player in a galaxy full of good guys because they’ll likely eventually launch a crusade against you which can be quite fun to crush those goodie goodie AI players.

Q: Can you explain the Metaverse in more detail?

A: Sure. Essentially when you play GalCiv, your game is recorded and can optionally be submitted to the metaverse when the game is done. This has two particular advantages: 1) It lets you compete indirectly with other players in the GalCiv universe. And 2) We can update the AI based on the top players. So as time goes on, when you play a computer player you’ll be really playing against the strategies employed by the top players.

Q: Does the game use a 3D engine?

A: No. This was heavily debated internally. Since Stardock is pretty well known for using the latest in cutting edge technology with our other software (we are, afterall, the ones who created XPBench – www.xpbench.com which some game sites use in reviews) such as Object Desktop. But it really came down to being a marketing decision – as soon as you make the game require a 3D engine you eliminate a lot of people from being able to play the game.

And since the game takes place in space, there wasn’t that much of an advantage in going 3D. Afterall, what are we going to do? Force the player to rotate the galaxy map around to navigate through it? While that looks neat for the first few minutes, after a short time it gets very tedious.

That said, the graphics in the game are 3D. We have our own internal engine for displaying 3D graphics called “Pear”. So when you see planets rotating and units on the screen, they’re all 3D based units. There’s no “hand drawn” art in the game . It’s jut a matter of whether to pre-render the 3D or render it on the fly via a 3D engine. Visually, the game runs natively at 1024x768x32bit color so it’s definitely up to date graphically.

Q: The game seems to have a lot of humor in it, what made you decide to do that?

A: On the one hand we want the game to have an epic feel to it. We don’t want the game to have camp. But at the same time, we don’t want the game to take itself too seriously. We want the computer players to say things that are interesting and unexpected. We want players to feel that we understand the type of game they want to play.

Q: What’s so special about the GalCiv AI?

A: The AI is multithreaded. What this means is that while you are taking your turn, the computer players are generating their strategies. That’s why there is no “please wait, computer players moving” screen when you hit the turn button. They’ve already calculated much of their moves. The only thing you have to wait for is the actual moving of units on the map.

The real benefit though is that it gives computer players much more time to “think” about their strategies. It means we can implement much more sophisticated strategies for them so that they play more intelligently.

None of this means that the game is “harder” to beat. But what it does mean is that we don’t have to dump tons of free money or whatever to the computer players in order for them to be competitive. They can play the same game you’re playing. We think many players gain a certain satisfaction knowing that when they’ve destroyed an Economic Starbase that it really did hurt that player. Most games I play I have to wonder whether blowing up some key building or unit really affects the AI or not. But in GalCiv, there’s no doubt because it’s playing the same game you are.

Q: How do “random events” help the game? Sometimes games have random events that completely mess up the game. How are you going to avoid that?

A: Like our AI, the events that occur in GalCiv have intelligence behind them. While the event itself is chosen randomly, how it is actually played out in the game is not. It calculates out the event such that the event won’t have an over powering effect on the game while at the same time not being trivial.

For instance, we DO NOT have events like “Your power plant has exploded taking out planet Y” in GalCiv. That’s the sort of stuff that’s just frustrating because there’s nothing you could do about that.

Instead, something like that would be handled as a growing terrorist threat that you could deal with and the longer it goes without being dealt with (by someone, not just you because these events don’t make a distinction between you and other players) the worse it gets. For example, one event might come up and talk about how some minor thing got destroyed by a group called the “Calorians”. Well if you look on the map hard enough, you’ll find that there’s a planet called Calor that is a minor race that wasn’t there before. If you or someone else takes it over, then the problems caused by these guys goes away. If they’re allowed to linger, things get tougher. But you always have the ability to avoid or prevent anything that could be really game changing.

The choices you make in GalCiv combined with the status of the galaxy help determine how these events get played out so that they fit into the unique story of each game.

Q: Stardock has mentioned that the game is going to be developed for an additional year after release. A cynical person might argue that you’re just saying that so that you can release an incomplete game.

A: If GalCiv was our first game, there might be reason to be concerned about that. But going back and looking at reviews of our previous games you find them consistently saying that the games were very solid and feature rich.

We found on our Object Desktop suite (www.objectdesktop.com) that by continually updating the software that it attracts new buyers long after the release and builds a loyal customer base. So we’re doing this on our games as well. The released version of the game will be fully featured and very solid. And in fact, in a pinch we could have moved the ship date up a full month.

Releasing significant, meaningful updates after the game is released allows the game to remain fresh. I am sure I’m not the only one who subconsciously won’t buy a game if it’s been out more than a month or two. But if people are reading about GalCiv 1.1 with significant new features, it keeps the game “new” longer.

Plus, we’re exploiting a unique advantage we have over most game developers. Our development budget is funded by the sales of our other software. Even if GalCiv didn’t sell a copy, it would not have a significant impact on us. We developed GalCiv with zero advances on royalties. In short, we can afford to keep developing it as long as it makes economic sense to do so. We think that will help make the game more successful at retail by keeping it on the shelves longer and maybe in some small way encourage other developers to start supporting their games after release in a more meaningful way. Afterall, one way to prevent piracy is to keep updating your game after release.
Draginol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2003, 21:01   #2
Mark_Everson

Local Time: 10:05
Thanks for the great summary Draginol!

I am especially encouraged by the threaded AI. I really like the concept of playing the AI "fair and square". But... Can you still give the bad guys arbitrary advantages if GalCiv turns out to be beatable routinely?

I'm Really looking forward to it!

Mark
Mark_Everson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2003, 21:29   #3
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:05
Draginol. Are you the official GalCiv rep to Poly? Are you all interested in having Poly community interest in the game?
TCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2003, 22:39   #4
Draginol

I do indeed work at Stardock.
Old January 9, 2003, 22:56   #5
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 16:05
great to have you here Brad!
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2003, 23:20   #6
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:05
Wow! Draginol = Brad!

Get that special title out Markos!!!

TCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2003, 23:30   #7
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
The AI is multithreaded. What this means is that while you are taking your turn, the computer players are generating their strategies. That’s why there is no “please wait, computer players moving” screen when you hit the turn button. They’ve already calculated much of their moves. The only thing you have to wait for is the actual moving of units on the map.
That's amazing!

:worship:

Thanks for coming as rep to Apolyton- this game looks amazing! I have a screenshot of it as my background in Windows!
Old January 10, 2003, 12:28   #8
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 09:05
Very nice Q&A...gives me something to look forward to with other 4X games in a rut.

Thank you Draginol!
Old January 10, 2003, 12:47   #9
Draginol

We actually do have a wallpaper and downloads section that has skins (visual styles) if you want to check them out, it's at:

http://www.galciv.com/download.asp
Old January 10, 2003, 18:28   #10
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 09:05
Is the beta still on? (And is it worth it to do it at this late date?)
Old January 10, 2003, 22:57   #11
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
We actually do have a wallpaper and downloads section that has skins (visual styles) if you want to check them out, it's at:
I suppose I will check them out!
Old January 11, 2003, 14:24   #12
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Hmmm...this FAQ actually answered a lot of questions. Thanks, Brad.

Asmodean
Old January 12, 2003, 17:09   #13
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 15:05
Wow, what can I say. It a definite must have if I ever saw one... Yay!
Old January 12, 2003, 22:38   #14
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 22:05
It sounds quite nice but there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for user-developed customization - New user-designed techs or events for example ...
In fact that Metaverse angle would seem to preclude it?

I must say though that the intent to continue development post-release sounds promising.
Maybe such utilities could be added in later?
ravagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2003, 22:54   #15
Draginol

GalCiv.com has libraries for people to submit their own technologies, ships, planetary improvements, events, etc.

For scores to count in the metaverse user shave to use authorized ones (i.e. ones we've checked out) but otherwise GalCiv is amongst the most expandable games out there.

Last edited by Draginol; January 13, 2003 at 11:56.
Old January 12, 2003, 23:46   #16
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 22:05
to that.

Scuse the newbie questions.
ravagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2003, 20:22   #17
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 02:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Minimum specifications?
Ok, I 've done a little sifting around and so far have not been able to find the minimum specifications for the game.

Currently i have a PIII 450 with a GeForce2 Titanium and 256MB RAM. Will I be able to run the game? I really can't afford to upgrade my machine at this stage. Even if I can only run a small universe with limited number of aliens, it is better than nothing.

Are there optional gameplay features that can be turned off to speed up processing?
Old January 19, 2003, 13:33   #18
Edan
Warlord

Re: Minimum specifications?
Quote:
Originally posted by The Rusty Gamer
Ok, I 've done a little sifting around and so far have not been able to find the minimum specifications for the game.

Currently i have a PIII 450 with a GeForce2 Titanium and 256MB RAM. Will I be able to run the game? I really can't afford to upgrade my machine at this stage. Even if I can only run a small universe with limited number of aliens, it is better than nothing.
To give you some idea, I'm running the beta on an Athelon 900 with AIW Radeon and 256MB Ram in Win98, and the game runs fine. I assume any recent video card will be fine since the game is 2D anyways.

Quote:
Are there optional gameplay features that can be turned off to speed up processing?
Well, for the beta, you could play the game without the multimedia, but I don't think that would speed up the processing any. I imagine that if you pick a smaller universe to play with, and fewer AI rivals, it might speed up performance, I guess.
Edan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2003, 13:36   #19
Edan
Warlord

Found this on ebworld.com:

Quote:
Publisher: STRATEGY FIRST
Platform: PC Games
Category: Strategy
Item Number: 232512 System Requirements:
Windows 98/Me/2000/XP; PII 300 MHz Processor, 128 MB RAM, 600 MB Hard Disk Space, DirectX 7.0 Compatible Video Card with 4 MB VRAM and Monitor capable of supporting 1024x768 resolution. 56K Modem with Internet Connection or LAN for Internet play
What Internet play?
Old January 19, 2003, 15:33   #20
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Oh no. Don't tell me we're now going to get a "They said they'd give us multiplayer; we shouldn't buy it without it; they broke their promise to us" argument.
Old January 19, 2003, 16:17   #21
Edan
Warlord

Quote:
Oh no. Don't tell me we're now going to get a "They said they'd give us multiplayer; we shouldn't buy it without it; they broke their promise to us" argument.
Let's hope not.

Gamestop shows the following system requirements:

Quote:
Required

Operating System: Windows 98/2000/ME/XP
Processor: Pentium II 300 MHz or Higher
Video Card: 4 MB Video Card
Hard Drive: 600 MB HD
CD-ROM: 4x or Faster
RAM: 128 MB RAM
so the part about internet play might have just been something EBworld added on their own.

Anyway, those system requirements (if they are accurate) are low enough that they should run on most if not all systems.
Old January 19, 2003, 18:23   #22
Asmodean
Emperor

Quote:
The multimedia package is already part of the beta program. It is however an optional download, since it is a rather large download (more than 160 megs).

From my previous experiences with Stardock, the don't tend to break promises.

Asmodean
Old January 19, 2003, 19:23   #23
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

trust only Apolyton

http://apolyton.net/alt/guide/
Quote:
Type of Plays: SP
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2003, 19:47   #24
Edan
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
trust only Apolyton
Well, I was kinda skeptical that that I had missed a button labeled "Undocumented MultiPlayer" while playing the beta.
Old January 20, 2003, 15:09   #25
Asmodean
Emperor

I don't believe I read "multiplayer" as "muiltimedia"

Asmodean
Old January 21, 2003, 03:53   #26
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

I think the multiplayer means playing on the web in the 'Metaverse' (which is still SP, but you can waste some web access at the same time you play)
LDiCesare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2003, 00:19   #27
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

According to this, the minimum specs are a PIII 600 MHZ. Do you think that having a GeForce 2 Titanium might compensate for only having a 450MHZ?

Last edited by The Rusty Gamer; January 30, 2003 at 04:05.
The Rusty Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2003, 00:48   #28
Edan
Warlord

Quote:
According to this, the minimum specs are a PIII 600 MHZ.
Those specs seem somewhat high - the ones I found seem to be a little more in line for what I would suspect, though I guess it might still be variable at this point (since it isn't the final version). I'd wait to see what the final versions confirmed specs are.

Quote:
Do you think that having a GeForece 2 Titanium might compensate for only having a 450MHZ?
If the specs are that high, I don't think a better video card will help, since all the graphics are in 2D anyway, so I don't see how it would help.
Old January 24, 2003, 01:49   #29
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:05
Quote:
According to this, the minimum specs are a PIII 600 MHZ. Do you think that having a GeForece 2 Titanium might compensate for only having a 450MHZ?
Nope. Not in 4x. The processor power is needed for calculations. The GF GPU will not help with that.

Having more RAM than minimum will help though. More RAM, less swapping.

If the minimum is 600, you may be able to play with a 450 (most likely you can) it will just be very slow (relatively). btw, doubling RAM often has a bigger consequence than 100 or 200 MHz on a processor.
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2003, 11:00   #30
Asmodean
Emperor

I play Galciv on a 450 MHz machine. It is comparatively slow. My 384 megs of RAM compensate a bit, but it does not change the fact that a fast CPU is required for this game.

Asmodean