Old January 10, 2003, 07:01   #1
madosca
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
strategic resources
1. with what frequency on average you discover coal after you have discovered the first time?
2. If you go back to a saved game prior to dicovering steam power, is it possible that the coal that appears after the discovery is in a different position?
3. AIs know that you try to trade (obtain) coal or iron to do railway or they would be so greedy anyway in giving them out?
4. I also notive that Civ3 tends to balance the luck of each player in the sense that if one gets a good territory which is also not near to enemies, probably he will end uo with less strategic resources. can you confirm this impression?

i now play (still) warlord thank you.
Old January 10, 2003, 07:34   #2
cumi
Warlord

Local Time: 15:06
Hi,

1. I read here (not in civilopedia) somewhere (don't know the thread), that there is a rule (periodicity and probability) of disappearing of startegic resources. When that happens, the resource appears somewhere, randomly. So, if you have luck, you can discover it after a time in your land.

2. I also read it here, that the resources are distributed at the beginning the game, so loading the saved game doesn't helps.

3. AI knows what do you need, just as you know it too. The advisor tells you, that you can sell something to someone. Try it on the trade window.

4. I don't think so. But there is an important thing about resources. Resources can appear on specific types terrains. For instance, rubber can be found on jungle. (If you clean the jungle, the resource remains there see answer 2.!!!). Oil in desert etc (but I think always more than 1 type, so no panic if you are missing one type). So try to have almost all the types of terrain in your territory, because if you are missing a couple of types, you will surely miss some resources. About the relation of resources to terrain types, I think you can find something in civilopedia or in the refernce document on www.civ3.com.

I play also on 2 or max on 3 level of difficulty.

Hope that this helps you.

cheers
Old January 10, 2003, 07:34   #3
theNiceOne
Warlord

1) The number of coal squares on the map is constant (but hidden for you until you discover steam power). When you discover a new coal source, it means that an existing coal source has just disappeared soemwhere. The ratio that this happens can be set in the editor.

2) No. All resources are laid out when the map is created before the game starts. The AI cheats btw, by knowing that a coal square is worth more than a non-coal square even during the ancient age.

3) The cost of buying a resource is dependant of what you possibly can use it for. Oil is close to free before you discover the techs that uses it (refinement reveals oil sources, but gives not access to anything that can use it). The AI will demand just as much for coal after you ahve filled your continent with railroads as before though.

4) No I don't think it's anything like that.
Old January 10, 2003, 07:34   #4
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 17:06
Iron and coal are just very expencive, so the cheapskate AI will get every last penny from you.
Old January 10, 2003, 08:17   #5
theNiceOne
Warlord

No Tattilla, you've got it backwards. Iron and coal are just very expensive, so you will get every last penny from the AI after having conquered most iron and coal squares
Old January 13, 2003, 14:36   #6
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

4 - no, instead the computer gives you crappy starting positions in the middle of nowhere and concentrates 8 silks in a tile
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old January 13, 2003, 15:34   #7
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

One thing I have noticed is that if you don't have the resource in your territory when you discover the appropriate tech, it never seems to appear later, unless you capture some.

In one game I didn't get any coal but there was some one tile over the border with the Americans. So I went to war and captured Boston. Lo and behold on the very next turn a new source of coal popped up right in the middle of my territory (and the one I captured was still there).

Maybe I'm paranoid but it seems more than co-incidence.
Old January 13, 2003, 16:32   #8
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 09:06
Re: strategic resources
#1: On Random generatored map, there is usually a # of civs that started the game + 1 coal on the map.

I have seen more coal on occansion and have also seen where # coal exactly equaled number of starting civs.

#2: No. Resources don't start to move until connected to the trade network. Resources not discovered are automaticly not part of the trade network.

#3: AI always has full knowlege of all tiles on their version of the WM, including enemy unit locations and undiscovered resources.

#4: Players placing a city everywhere & road connecting all tiles inside their territory are rewarded. Those not settling the nearby island full of Tundra are punished.

Difficulty level seems to have no effect on the above.

Quote:
Originally posted by madosca
1. with what frequency on average you discover coal after you have discovered the first time?
2. If you go back to a saved game prior to dicovering steam power, is it possible that the coal that appears after the discovery is in a different position?
3. AIs know that you try to trade (obtain) coal or iron to do railway or they would be so greedy anyway in giving them out?
4. I also notive that Civ3 tends to balance the luck of each player in the sense that if one gets a good territory which is also not near to enemies, probably he will end uo with less strategic resources. can you confirm this impression?

i now play (still) warlord thank you.
Old January 13, 2003, 16:34   #9
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I played an Emperor level game where I had no coal in my territory with the discovery of Steam Power, but by the end of the industrial era, a coal had relocated into my territory without any action on my part.

Quote:
Originally posted by CerberusIV
One thing I have noticed is that if you don't have the resource in your territory when you discover the appropriate tech, it never seems to appear later, unless you capture some.

In one game I didn't get any coal but there was some one tile over the border with the Americans. So I went to war and captured Boston. Lo and behold on the very next turn a new source of coal popped up right in the middle of my territory (and the one I captured was still there).

Maybe I'm paranoid but it seems more than co-incidence.
Old January 13, 2003, 16:36   #10
joncnunn
Emperor

There can only be 1 Silk in a tile.

Luxary resources are usally clustered by design to encourage trading.
Old January 13, 2003, 17:24   #11
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 06:06
Quote:
One thing I have noticed is that if you don't have the resource in your territory when you discover the appropriate tech, it never seems to appear later
Not for me. I've had various resources that weren't in my territory appear later.
Old January 13, 2003, 18:42   #12
x Krelian x
Settler

Local Time: 14:06
The best is when there's an Iron and Coal near each other, so you can build the best small wonder- Ironworks! It doubles your production, but it's so rare to find iron and coal in the same city radius... I like to make it my Forbidden Palace city, so I can have the full benifit.

Build Cavalry in 2 turns!!!
Old January 13, 2003, 18:45   #13
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

joncnunn I was kidding of course- but 5 resources in a matter of a few tiles it's too much of and advantage for who gets them
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old January 13, 2003, 19:20   #14
joncnunn
Emperor

Usally there's more than 1 clump of luxary resrouces.

On Tiny maps, it appears that there is usually 1 4-luxary clump, several 3-luxary clumps, and an occansional lonely luxary resource.

In addition, while # strategic resources usally exceeds starting # of players, it's often the case that two or three luxary types won't have enough of that type for all civs unless a civ is destroyed.
Old January 13, 2003, 19:22   #15
joncnunn
Emperor

My FP has already been built by then.

But if an Iron Works city appears that's far away from both the P & FP, it will often warrent a P move near it.

It is very rare for me to get a city that can build the Iron Works though.

Quote:
Originally posted by x Krelian x
The best is when there's an Iron and Coal near each other, so you can build the best small wonder- Ironworks! It doubles your production, but it's so rare to find iron and coal in the same city radius... I like to make it my Forbidden Palace city, so I can have the full benifit.

Build Cavalry in 2 turns!!!
Old January 14, 2003, 05:45   #16
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Quote:
Not for me. I've had various resources that weren't in my territory appear later.
Thanks for the comment (and to joncnunn), I can stop being paranoid now and look forward to having some strategic resources without having to conquer half the map.